Idris Elba - King of Speed

Idris Elba - King of Speed

Author
Discussion

FiF

39,398 posts

218 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Having watched the second show, Ari as always the star, so laid back almost horizontal.

To be fair to Idris he is clearly interested and enjoys cars. Again clearly interestedIin competition but isn't a natural for whatever reason.

That's fair enough in my book and really doesn't deserve in the slightest some of the snidey comments from some on PH. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

MC Bodge

16,146 posts

142 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
FiF said:
Having watched the second show, Ari as always the star, so laid back almost horizontal.

To be fair to Idris he is clearly interested and enjoys cars. Again clearly interestedIin competition but isn't a natural for whatever reason.

That's fair enough in my book and really doesn't deserve in the slightest some of the snidey comments from some on PH. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
Snidey? The guy isn't doing it for some free work experience, he's being paid by the BBC ...He's only on the programme because he's a famous actor.

I thought the programmes were fairly good, but I disagree with the need for some bloke to present it just because he's famous, for something completely unrelated.

Guy Martin (famous for being pretty good at something closely related, can talk, is pretty handy and fairly knowledgeable too. He also has/had a Bimota in his kitchen for the filming) having a dabble at driving a racing truck wasn't necessary in his cycling speed programme, but quite interesting and fair enough!

FiF

39,398 posts

218 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Yes snidey. Quite a few guilty on the thread.

Is it the fault of the talent or his/her agent or the commissioning editors or whoever is responsible.

He may not be a petrolgeek but he is interested at his own level and in his own way. Anyone who can't accept that comes across as inflicted with something, possibly jealousy.

Think how bad it could have been by comparing his interest and ability with the Great British Drives series presented by Richard Wilson. The premise of the programme was great. Classic roads and touring routes to be driven in a series of classic cars. So they pick some old geezer who can only just about manage an automatic gearbox. No chance with old non synchro manuals.

Compared to that Idris is a driving god.

So yes snidey.

MC Bodge

16,146 posts

142 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
FiF said:
Yes snidey. Quite a few guilty on the thread.

Is it the fault of the talent or his/her agent or the commissioning editors or whoever is responsible.

He may not be a petrolgeek but he is interested at his own level and in his own way. Anyone who can't accept that comes across as inflicted with something, possibly jealousy.
I had a Saturday job in a plant nurseries at 16 and I own a garden that I have barbecues in and occasionally mow and prune. If I was also a famous actor would I be presenting "Gardeners' World" or "Gardeners' Question Time"?



FiF

39,398 posts

218 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Depends what you could bring to the programme. Obviously.


AnonSpoilSport

12,955 posts

143 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
FiF said:
Yes snidey. Quite a few guilty on the thread.

Is it the fault of the talent or his/her agent or the commissioning editors or whoever is responsible.

He may not be a petrolgeek but he is interested at his own level and in his own way. Anyone who can't accept that comes across as inflicted with something, possibly jealousy.

Think how bad it could have been by comparing his interest and ability with the Great British Drives series presented by Richard Wilson. The premise of the programme was great. Classic roads and touring routes to be driven in a series of classic cars. So they pick some old geezer who can only just about manage an automatic gearbox. No chance with old non synchro manuals.

Compared to that Idris is a driving god.

So yes snidey.
Exactly! Or you might substitute:

Miserable

Unappreciative

Anal

Envious

Pedantic

Unnecessary

Know it all

Pathetic

Sad


So, typical really. No wonder Top Gear gets such a pasting on here. Do yourselves a favour, sell your common people box and embrace time with your noses stuck in your Haynes Manual collection!


Riley Blue

17,956 posts

193 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Once again on PH the name calling starts and all because some had the temerity to criticise a TV programme in a topic in the TV, Film & Radio section of the site.

gwm

2,390 posts

111 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
It's entertainment! It wasn't dumbed down, just car geeks/snobs will always moan because there's a need for a mainstream programme like that to appeal to a broad range of people. Not just the sort of blokes who look down at you because you can't name every engine code of the mk2 Corsa.

tbc

3,017 posts

142 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
He kept harking back to his 'tough days in Landan ,innit'

He was clearly spoofing a bit but it added to the show.

That Metro Rally Car looked like the grim reaper on wheels.

Apart from Idris being all 'GANGSTA' i enjoyed it

AnonSpoilSport

12,955 posts

143 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Riley Blue said:
Once again on PH the name calling starts and all because some had the temerity to criticise a TV programme in a topic in the TV, Film & Radio section of the site.
Once again on PH the self pitying whining starts and all because some had the temerity to criticise posters in a topic in the TV, Film & Radio section of the site.

MC Bodge

16,146 posts

142 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
gwm said:
Not just the sort of blokes who look down at you because you can't name every engine code of the mk2 Corsa.
Not at all. I don't care for that sort of thing either.

It was, overall, quite enjoyable.


tbc said:
He kept harking back to his 'tough days in Landan ,innit'

He was clearly spoofing a bit but it added to the show....

...Apart from Idris being all 'GANGSTA' i enjoyed it
Spoofing or trying a bit too hard? He was more convincing as an intelligent, articulate major player in a Baltimore drug gang! I think he's been an actor for a long time (and done some good work), and probably did the other jobs on the side.

He's apparently quite big in the DJ/music/club world, and did some programmes on it recently. Which is fair enough, really. I have no interest in those things though.

gwm said:
That Metro Rally Car looked like the grim reaper on wheels
Hell, yeah!


Mastodon2

13,428 posts

132 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Both programs were a good watch - the Nascar car ripping through the American town streets was the highlight of episode one, Ari stole the show in episode 2. Ari's son should have called that session in when Idris was out of control, but he was probably under orders not to, as keeping Idris on the small track would not have made for good tv. A shame, as that crash was predictable and avoidable. I liked the part where he said "the car had a mind of it's own" - I doubt you'd ever hear a proper rally driver say that, and while Ari smiled I'm sure he's heard the same excuses a hundred times.

Still, it was enjoyable enough, though the bit in the Veyron with the Khan bloke (presumably owner of the tasteless car modifiers "Project Khan" was a bit naff - since when have Veyrons had V16 engines? And the Khan bloke kept talking about "Pininfarini". And driving a Veyron through the city centre of London as a means of talking about the former fastest car in the world seemed a bit daft, but I suppose that Khan made the offer and they thought it would fill some time.

GC8

19,540 posts

157 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
HD Adam said:
GC8 said:
Difficult since the New World Order. No hotel means little chance of getting past the Homeland Security STASI.
Sorry, absolute cobblers.

If you are filling in the ESTA or the airline wants to have the info, just put down any hotel address in the city you are arriving in or if in an RV, the name of the first camp site you will stop at.
That's a winning personality that you have there! Whatever happened to 'pardon me, but I beg to differ'?

With a face like yours I'd expect you to have spent more time developing your personality!

Good day.

g3org3y

17,186 posts

158 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Did we actually find out at any point what Mr Elba drives?

northwest monkey

6,273 posts

156 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
northwest monkey said:
Only seen the first episode & I quite enjoyed it to be honest. He came across as a bloke that likes cars rather than a bloke that can bore about cars.
Sorry - but did you mean to say "someone who is knowledgeable and interesting" about cars?

I really hate when people dismiss knowledge as "boring". No wonder TV wants to dumb things down repeatedly with attitudes like that.
No, I meant boring. Nothing worse than a car bore and by that I mean people who get anal about trivial details nobody cares about other than them. There is a time and a place for people like that & in the right time and place I agree they can be "knowledgeable and interesting", but the Idris Elba show was an entertainment show rather like Top Gear.

I haven't dismissed knowledge as "boring" - I hate the "dumbing down" seen a lot on TV - but I don't necessarily want it rammed down my throat all the time. The chap on Discovery who has built the MG, E-type, Helicopter, Caterham (?) etc seems very knowledgeable and interesting but that's a completely different show - he wouldn't be someone I'd pick to present a programme like the King of Speed.

Catatafish

1,168 posts

112 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Was great to see a car related item on mainstream TV.

I'm looking forward to all of the fascinating, stunningly shot, perfectly judged "everyman" documentaries to come forth from the PH "self- important, self-proclaimed expert division".

redtwin

7,518 posts

149 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Thought it was an OK show, despite a few cringe worthy moment when Idris was trying to play off being one of the lads.

There was a fair bit of nonsense on there too. That yellow Malibu isn't a street racer. The owner may claim it is, but he knew full well there wouldn't be a race to back it up. That whole segment was nothing more than trash talking anyway.

As for what does Idris drive?. My guess is a Toyota of some sort going by his Toyota Advert and the choice of a Camry race car as the highlight of the first show. hehe

http://youtu.be/3j5XWJM_FIY

Eric Mc

115,454 posts

232 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
northwest monkey said:
No, I meant boring. Nothing worse than a car bore and by that I mean people who get anal about trivial details nobody cares about other than them. There is a time and a place for people like that & in the right time and place I agree they can be "knowledgeable and interesting", but the Idris Elba show was an entertainment show rather like Top Gear.

I haven't dismissed knowledge as "boring" - I hate the "dumbing down" seen a lot on TV - but I don't necessarily want it rammed down my throat all the time. The chap on Discovery who has built the MG, E-type, Helicopter, Caterham (?) etc seems very knowledgeable and interesting but that's a completely different show - he wouldn't be someone I'd pick to present a programme like the King of Speed.
Right - so you wouldn't have minded if he had shown a LITTLE more knowledge of the cars etc?

To be honest, I can't recall ANY car related TV programme where I have found knowledge being imparted boring. I have certainly seen FAR more TV programmes where the lack of knowledge on display has been extremely annoying - especially if it is misleading.

These two programmes were actually OK so I am not complaining about them at all. But I certainly will not moan about a programme that tells me knew things. There are far too few such programmes about.

Watchman

6,391 posts

212 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
Mastodon2 said:
since when have Veyrons had V16 engines?
It's a small point but it's only a piece of marketing calling a staggered inline 6 a V6, leading to a V16 being called a W16. The Veyron engine only has two banks and there are only 2 cams per bank.

It's clever but not as clever as the 3 bank W18 of the Veyron's prototype, although I'm more inclined to call that a Y18 based on the configuration of the banks.

HD Adam

4,658 posts

151 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
GC8 said:
HD Adam said:
GC8 said:
Difficult since the New World Order. No hotel means little chance of getting past the Homeland Security STASI.
Sorry, absolute cobblers.

If you are filling in the ESTA or the airline wants to have the info, just put down any hotel address in the city you are arriving in or if in an RV, the name of the first camp site you will stop at.
That's a winning personality that you have there! Whatever happened to 'pardon me, but I beg to differ'?

With a face like yours I'd expect you to have spent more time developing your personality!

Good day.
LOL.

Part of my personality is if your talking out of your arse, I'll tell you.

If you want things sugar coating, Mumsnet is that way ->

Good day to you too, Sir biggrin