Idris Elba - King of Speed

Idris Elba - King of Speed

Author
Discussion

Rollcage

11,326 posts

159 months

Monday 30th December 2013
quotequote all
g3org3y said:
Did we actually find out at any point what Mr Elba drives?
There was a silver RRS in several different places in the last episode, so I'll go with that!

Funk

23,046 posts

176 months

Tuesday 31st December 2013
quotequote all
Eviltad said:
Carpark roof top was definitely Central Liverpool so would make sense if Pre-VT was local.

I enjoyed both shows. Was surprised the 22inch wheeled yellow thing was quickest, but is that "King of Streets" had the unbeaten record to back it up then, who am I to argue? And the 7 Million quid Veyron.....really? Kahn car is here.... http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/b... and I would assume the shiny bits are now matte black using the power of a wrap.
Haha, Kahn himself said in the programme it was 'worth' £1.2m, it's up for sale in the ad for £800k. The ad says it's a "Very Rare Vehicle Which Will Only Appreciate In Value" (sic).

It's not appreciating very well at the moment is it? I make that a £400k LOSS already - will Veyron values suddenly rocket? An investment in an Enzo a few years back would have yielded some fantastic returns (I think they were what, £400k new, currently changing hands for double that and more...). Can't see a Veyron doing quite the same thing. They're an engineering masterpiece but they lack flair, passion and soul. There are hundreds of cars I'd rather own for the same money as a new Veyron.

The Surveyor

7,468 posts

204 months

Tuesday 31st December 2013
quotequote all
Funk said:
Eviltad said:
Carpark roof top was definitely Central Liverpool so would make sense if Pre-VT was local.

I enjoyed both shows. Was surprised the 22inch wheeled yellow thing was quickest, but is that "King of Streets" had the unbeaten record to back it up then, who am I to argue? And the 7 Million quid Veyron.....really? Kahn car is here.... http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/b... and I would assume the shiny bits are now matte black using the power of a wrap.
Haha, Kahn himself said in the programme it was 'worth' £1.2m, it's up for sale in the ad for £800k. The ad says it's a "Very Rare Vehicle Which Will Only Appreciate In Value" (sic).

It's not appreciating very well at the moment is it? I make that a £400k LOSS already - will Veyron values suddenly rocket? An investment in an Enzo a few years back would have yielded some fantastic returns (I think they were what, £400k new, currently changing hands for double that and more...). Can't see a Veyron doing quite the same thing. They're an engineering masterpiece but they lack flair, passion and soul. There are hundreds of cars I'd rather own for the same money as a new Veyron.
I thought he said that it was a £2million vehicle, that's the Veyron plus the F1 number plate?

m8rky

2,090 posts

126 months

Tuesday 31st December 2013
quotequote all
Quite expecting him to be announced as a new or extra Top Gear presenter to diversify things on there. I am sure the hand wringers at the beeb are having fits at a programme with three white middle aged presenters.

sday12

4,908 posts

178 months

Tuesday 31st December 2013
quotequote all
MJK 24 said:
GALLARDOGUY said:
Kahn comparing his company to pininfarina???
The words were sort of put in his mouth!
And repeated on his website.

'World's leading automotive fashion house'

For sticking air dams and 22" wheels on a Rangie?


marcosgt

10,747 posts

143 months

Tuesday 31st December 2013
quotequote all
I quite enjoyed episode one, but episode two failed to engage my interest as much.

Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I watched it, but I kept finding my attention wandering off to other things, which I hadn't in the first.

M.

98elise

19,675 posts

128 months

Tuesday 31st December 2013
quotequote all
krunchkin said:
GALLARDOGUY said:
krunchkin said:
Sorry - I'm a TV cynic because I make it for a living - but none of those exterior shots of the car in these sequences are with Idris driving it
The transition between slides was way too smooth...
Its the Top Gear technique. Pros drive the cars for exterior trackshots (for H&S reasons as much as anything). The presenter is filmed with in-car cameras. The combined montage can then, some would say fraudulently, be said to show "the presenter driving the car".
Not quite. The presenters do some of the driving, but they have limited cameras and time. When they are doing other stuff members of the production team will drive. Its the same with the races. Interior shots are done on the way there, exterior on the way back. This is because they need to keep moving the cameras to the next shot, and possibly need to do loads of re-takes.

Jeremy Clarson has been clear about how they do it in a number of his articles. Its just the way TV works rather than fraud. Also its not a factual car show, its entertainment.

AnonSpoilSport

12,955 posts

143 months

Tuesday 31st December 2013
quotequote all
m8rky said:
Quite expecting him to be announced as a new or extra Top Gear presenter to diversify things on there. I am sure the hand wringers at the beeb are having fits at a programme with three white middle aged male presenters.
EFA

PeXy

2,084 posts

138 months

Wednesday 1st January 2014
quotequote all
Just noticed the reg of the fiesta XR2 made me chuckle...

V8 Fettler

7,019 posts

99 months

Wednesday 1st January 2014
quotequote all
tbc said:
He kept harking back to his 'tough days in Landan ,innit'

He was clearly spoofing a bit but it added to the show.

That Metro Rally Car looked like the grim reaper on wheels.

Apart from Idris being all 'GANGSTA' i enjoyed it
yes You could see the fear in Elba_the_passenger's face, he knew that controlling the thing as a driver was clearly beyond him, and so it came to pass. 6R4 was one of the more benign Group B cars, Lancia Delta S4 was the devil's chariot.

Rollcage

11,326 posts

159 months

Friday 3rd January 2014
quotequote all
BaronVonVaderham said:
g3org3y said:
Did we actually find out at any point what Mr Elba drives?
We could certainly see that he can't drive anything with wheels...
I think that is a little harsh. I doubt the majority of PHers would do any better when thrown into such a vehicle. He was much better in the (easier to drive) Bini.

BaronVonVaderham

2,103 posts

114 months

Friday 3rd January 2014
quotequote all
Rollcage said:
BaronVonVaderham said:
g3org3y said:
Did we actually find out at any point what Mr Elba drives?
We could certainly see that he can't drive anything with wheels...
I think that is a little harsh. I doubt the majority of PHers would do any better when thrown into such a vehicle. He was much better in the (easier to drive) Bini.
Wasn't talking just about the 6r4, he didn't seem to demonstrate much ability in any of the machines. Also as someone else said he didn't seem to have any respect or sympathy for any of the vehicles he was driving.

I liked the content but the presenter grated constantly, his self-proclaimed title says it all!

FiF

39,389 posts

218 months

Friday 3rd January 2014
quotequote all
BaronVonVaderham said:
Rollcage said:
BaronVonVaderham said:
g3org3y said:
Did we actually find out at any point what Mr Elba drives?
We could certainly see that he can't drive anything with wheels...
I think that is a little harsh. I doubt the majority of PHers would do any better when thrown into such a vehicle. He was much better in the (easier to drive) Bini.
Wasn't talking just about the 6r4, he didn't seem to demonstrate much ability in any of the machines. Also as someone else said he didn't seem to have any respect or sympathy for any of the vehicles he was driving.

I liked the content but the presenter grated constantly, his self-proclaimed title says it all!
He was clearly far far more comfortable in anything small and front wheel drive. Throw in a few driver aids and all so much easier than something big and rear wheel drive or four wheel drive and a very low polar moment of inertia.

Dare say this would be replicated by many on PH including many of the self proclaimed driving gods.

marcosgt

10,747 posts

143 months

Friday 3rd January 2014
quotequote all


HTH.

M.

MarshPhantom

9,658 posts

104 months

Friday 3rd January 2014
quotequote all
Surprised at the amount of negativity about the show on this thread. It wasn't a show for car geeks (thank god) and who cares how talented a driver Elba is.

gwm

2,390 posts

111 months

Friday 3rd January 2014
quotequote all
MarshPhantom said:
Surprised at the amount of negativity about the show on this thread. It wasn't a show for car geeks (thank god) and who cares how talented a driver Elba is.
Exactly, it wasn't him driving loads of cars around the world for the sake of it; it was him looking at car culture and speed around the world.

s3fella

10,523 posts

154 months

Friday 3rd January 2014
quotequote all
Enjoyed some parts but it's quite disjointed, the trials bike part in the second program was fun, but fairly irrelevant to the 'story'. And it was weird, he seemed ok on the bike in some parts, but then seemed to have no fking idea how to ride one, the wheely and near flip, followed by cup of tea, was amateurish, then after he rode the section, he threw the bike away trying to come to as controlled stop! It looked like it was on purpose and forced. Very odd.

Interesting program, but I can't put my finger on it exactly, but he's a bit 'strange' as a presenter. And the show is not produced too well IMO, all a bit contrived.

Interesting cars though, but I'm not warming to him in fact quite the opposite. Hope program 3 will see some improvement.

CooperD

2,525 posts

144 months

Friday 3rd January 2014
quotequote all
s3fella said:
Enjoyed some parts but it's quite disjointed, the trials bike part in the second program was fun, but fairly irrelevant to the 'story'. And it was weird, he seemed ok on the bike in some parts, but then seemed to have no fking idea how to ride one, the wheely and near flip, followed by cup of tea, was amateurish, then after he rode the section, he threw the bike away trying to come to as controlled stop! It looked like it was on purpose and forced. Very odd.

Interesting program, but I can't put my finger on it exactly, but he's a bit 'strange' as a presenter. And the show is not produced too well IMO, all a bit contrived.

Interesting cars though, but I'm not warming to him in fact quite the opposite. Hope program 3 will see some improvement.
I think it's only a 2 part program.

SpeedBall

643 posts

137 months

Friday 3rd January 2014
quotequote all
The Bugatti segment with Kahn was embarrassing. He's been trying to flog that Veyron and F1 plate for years. Nobody's interested. I remember him saying he'd turned down £6m for it - just as he was launching his London showroom...

The reason he couldn't accept that offer is because it came to him via a dream.

I'd enjoyed the show until then.

telecat

8,525 posts

208 months

Friday 3rd January 2014
quotequote all
s3fella said:
Enjoyed some parts but it's quite disjointed, the trials bike part in the second program was fun, but fairly irrelevant to the 'story'. And it was weird, he seemed OK on the bike in some parts, but then seemed to have no fking idea how to ride one, the wheely and near flip, followed by cup of tea, was amateurish, then after he rode the section, he threw the bike away trying to come to as controlled stop! It looked like it was on purpose and forced. Very odd.

Interesting program, but I can't put my finger on it exactly, but he's a bit 'strange' as a presenter. And the show is not produced too well IMO, all a bit contrived.

Interesting cars though, but I'm not warming to him in fact quite the opposite. Hope program 3 will see some improvement.
You do see it. Riding a Trials Bike is all about control and if you open the throttle it will just go. The Wheely and flip thing is down to putting your feet down and expecting the bike to stop despite having throttle on. Being so low it just slips out from under you and keeps going. Having the Handlebars in your grasp means the bike rears up. Looks silly but very easy to do.