The Grand Tour

Author
Discussion

Isaac Hunt

12,471 posts

175 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
As far as I am concerned "The Grand Bore" would be more appropriate.

I won't be watching it as I am not a fan of Clarkson and I don't have Amazon Prime.

Stig

11,659 posts

248 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
Hammond tweeted 'We've got a name. And it was bleeding obvious cos it's what we're doing: coming from a different place every week'.

To me - grumpy old curmudgeon - that translates to 'perpetual glorified holiday arsing about in cars'. Nice work if you can get it I suppose - but I won't be watching.

He follows up saying they've got a big 'tent'. So read old TG studio rehashed and put up in a different field/country each week.

They're even hashtagging #GT (vs #TG)

Schoolboy guffaws all round!

MarshPhantom

9,658 posts

101 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
Isaac Hunt said:
As far as I am concerned "The Grand Bore" would be more appropriate.

I won't be watching it as I am not a fan of Clarkson and I don't have Amazon Prime.
Are you spaffing your pants in anticipation of the Evans version?

MiggyA

193 posts

64 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
This travelling-about format could be just the kick up the rear the show needs, and though the name is bland it does fit the concept. The studio bits were getting very tedious, and despite still liking it I wasn't really convinced new ideas would be forthcoming. Now I'm sort of excited to watch it.

TheLuke

2,154 posts

105 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
Isaac Hunt said:
As far as I am concerned "The Grand Bore" would be more appropriate.

I won't be watching it as I am not a fan of Clarkson and I don't have Amazon Prime.
So your input was fairly useful in this thread.

Fitting for your name.

NJK44

Original Poster:

1,364 posts

60 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
Isaac Hunt said:
As far as I am concerned "The Grand Bore" would be more appropriate.

I won't be watching it as I am not a fan of Clarkson and I don't have Amazon Prime.
So why are you here? Bye bye.


I'm not bothered about the name as long as the content is good!

NJK44

Original Poster:

1,364 posts

60 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
TheLuke said:
Fitting for your name.
laugh

98elise

18,888 posts

125 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
Isaac Hunt said:
As far as I am concerned "The Grand Bore" would be more appropriate.

I won't be watching it as I am not a fan of Clarkson and I don't have Amazon Prime.
Thats a coincidence. I won't be watching "Two weddings an a funeral" tonight as I'm not a fan of Hugh Grant, and I don't have the DVD.



talksthetorque

8,858 posts

99 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
98elise said:
Thats a coincidence. I won't be watching "Two weddings an a funeral" tonight as I'm not a fan of Hugh Grant, and I don't have the DVD.
That's an off topic and pointless post though. hehe

Personally I'm not going to form a judgement of what the show is going to be like from the name.
After all, Who'd eat Spotted Dick if they judged it by the name and not the content and production methods.
lick

98elise

18,888 posts

125 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
talksthetorque said:
98elise said:
Thats a coincidence. I won't be watching "Two weddings an a funeral" tonight as I'm not a fan of Hugh Grant, and I don't have the DVD.
That's an off topic and pointless post though. hehe

Personally I'm not going to form a judgement of what the show is going to be like from the name.
After all, Who'd eat Spotted Dick if they judged it by the name and not the content and production methods.
lick
Top Gear threads do seem to attract a lot of people that don't watch it though.

No doubt I will be the same when new TG airs smile

gordyshreds

50 posts

61 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
I'd of thought "Top Geary Mc Gear Face" would have been the new name

unsprung

5,134 posts

88 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all

Unyielding in its pomposity, that name. And thus appropriate for Clarkson.


Morningside

23,721 posts

193 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
Still seems to be a name made up by red braces TV exec types during an afternoon power mindstorm session.

AnotherClarkey

3,493 posts

153 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
Morningside said:
Still seems to be a name made up by red braces TV exec types during an afternoon power mindstorm session.
Or alternatively something that popped up between 'Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank' and 'Monkey Tennis'.

petop

1,833 posts

130 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
For those that said "Top Gear is getting stale, i will stop watching soon" so it seems they (C,H and M) have turned it around with something original by going around different locations and a surprising name and people are still slating it.
Some how i dont think the "tent" will be some 2nd hand wedding marquee cast off and part of the millions budget will provide something better. After all the O2 Arena is just a big posh tent!
I think the GT thinking was exactly what they wanted without knocking on the door of any litigation lawyers and it wouldnt surprise me they present it standing in the middle of the "tent" with GT in massive font on the floor!
I will watch both but look forward more to Clarkson and his companions!

durbster

8,451 posts

186 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
I think that's as good a name as any. TG often became as much a travel show as a car one so giving that aspect a nod makes a lot of sense, and gives them a fairly clear point of distinction from the Beeb show.

Now that's done we can just forget about it until it airs I suppose. smile

poing

8,743 posts

164 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
Stig said:
Hammond tweeted 'We've got a name. And it was bleeding obvious cos it's what we're doing: coming from a different place every week'.

To me - grumpy old curmudgeon - that translates to 'perpetual glorified holiday arsing about in cars'. Nice work if you can get it I suppose - but I won't be watching.

He follows up saying they've got a big 'tent'. So read old TG studio rehashed and put up in a different field/country each week.

They're even hashtagging #GT (vs #TG)

Schoolboy guffaws all round!
Are you just upset because they didn't take you with them and left you with Evans? wink

otolith

43,949 posts

168 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
petop said:
For those that said "Top Gear is getting stale, i will stop watching soon" so it seems they (C,H and M) have turned it around with something original by going around different locations and a surprising name and people are still slating it.
They say that, but I've always suspected that they mean;

Isaac Hunt said:
I am not a fan of Clarkson

cologne2792

1,677 posts

90 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
The show doesn't have a studio so the title is apt + you have TGT or Top Gear Two or Two Gin & Tonics or just The GT - all are connected, relevant and recognisable.

DonkeyApple

40,633 posts

133 months

Wednesday 11th May 2016
quotequote all
0000 said:
Quite like the idea that they're going to do each show in a different country. For all the grief they've had for not coming up with new ideas over the last however many years, that seems to be at least one new idea ahead of their replacements.
Fly in. Set up. Lob a few insults at the locals. Film the dash to the border in that week's cars. Seems OK.