Actors With More Than One Iconic Franchise Role?

Actors With More Than One Iconic Franchise Role?

Author
Discussion

Shakermaker

8,229 posts

39 months

Wednesday 17th October 2018
quotequote all
Chris Pratt getting there - Star Lord in the MCU, and his role in Jurassic World 1 & 2 so far. Plus of course, Andy Dwyer in Parks and Rec wink

Dwayne Johnson? Hobbs in the F&F Franchise, Scorpion King and The Mummy roles

Edited by Shakermaker on Wednesday 17th October 10:28

Ridealong

159 posts

9 months

Wednesday 17th October 2018
quotequote all
Simon Pegg

Benji Dunn - Mission Impossible
Montgomery Scott - Star Trek
Buck (voice) - Ice Age

belleair302

6,025 posts

146 months

Wednesday 17th October 2018
quotequote all
John Thaw.....Sweeney

John Thaw.....Morse

Martin Shaw.....Ray Doyle Professionals

Martin Shaw....Judge John Deed

belleair302

6,025 posts

146 months

Wednesday 17th October 2018
quotequote all
Ronnie Barker.....Porridge

Ronnie Barker....The Two Ronnies and Open All Hours.

belleair302

6,025 posts

146 months

Wednesday 17th October 2018
quotequote all
Ronnie Barker.....Porridge

Ronnie Barker....The Two Ronnies and Open All Hours.

John Pertwee as Doctor Who

John Pertwee as Worzel Gummidge.

Advertisement

Halb

46,671 posts

122 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
louiebaby said:
stion, but we need to consider the definition of a Film Franchise.

Wikipedia said:
A film series, film franchise, movie series, or movie franchise is a collection of related films in succession that share the same fictional universe, or are marketed as a series.[/quote}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_series

For me, it's three or more, so for now, Bad Boys doesn't count, although in about 16 months it should...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Boys_(franchise)
Yeah, a lot of these are just roles (not forward rolls), and not iconic. Harrison Ford is a solid one, at one point in time he was in 6 of the top ten grossing films.

louiebaby

8,643 posts

130 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Halb said:
louiebaby said:
Good question, but we need to consider the definition of a Film Franchise.

Wikipedia said:
A film series, film franchise, movie series, or movie franchise is a collection of related films in succession that share the same fictional universe, or are marketed as a series.
Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_series

For me, it's three or more, so for now, Bad Boys doesn't count, although in about 16 months it should...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Boys_(franchise)
Yeah, a lot of these are just roles (not forward rolls), and not iconic. Harrison Ford is a solid one, at one point in time he was in 6 of the top ten grossing films.
I've corrected my crap quoting now...

When does Bad Boys come out? Is it still happening?

irocfan

18,611 posts

129 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Shakermaker said:
Dwayne Johnson? Hobbs in the F&F Franchise, Scorpion King and The Mummy roles
not iconic I guess but he's now wrapped on Jumanji 3

Dr Jekyll

16,492 posts

200 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Dennis Waterman.

The Sweeney
Minder

New tricks



Halb

46,671 posts

122 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Had a quick skim, most are not appropriate, but Ian McKellen as Gandalf and Magneto; is,a leading character, iconic, he has become a household face/voice thanks to them. He's the only contender for the modern Harrison I can see at the moment.

Ridealong

159 posts

9 months

Saturday 16th March
quotequote all
Halb said:
Had a quick skim, most are not appropriate, but Ian McKellen as Gandalf and Magneto; is,a leading character, iconic, he has become a household face/voice thanks to them. He's the only contender for the modern Harrison I can see at the moment.
Ian McKellan co-star Patrick Stewart.

Captain Jean Luc Picard
Professor Charles Xavier
And now Bosley of Charlie's Angels

Beati Dogu

5,793 posts

78 months

Saturday 16th March
quotequote all
Samuel L Jackson:

Jurassic Park
Star Wars
Unbreakable
Die Hard
Iron Man & the millions of others that they're churning out.

InitialDave

4,359 posts

58 months

Saturday 16th March
quotequote all
Liam Neeson - Star Wars and Taken films.

Joining Neeson from Star Wars, Ewan McGregor also has Renton from the Trainspotting films to get him in the club.

If the Edgar Wright films count as a franchise (and certainly, I don't see why the Cornetto Trilogy shouldn't), Simon Pegg might be in with a shout now he's also established as Scotty in Star Trek. I guess you could argue he isn't playing the same character each time under Wright, though.

Maybe a bit of a silly one, but Charlie Sheen? Hot Shots and Wall Street films.

Karl Urban could be on the list if the Dredd Netflix thing eventually happens, to accompany his Trek stint as McCoy.

Also, to add to the OP, Harrison Ford should get further credit for playing Jack Ryan twice.





67Dino

662 posts

44 months

Saturday 16th March
quotequote all
Rowan Atkinson for Mr Bean and Johnny English on film (plus Blackadder on TV). If we’re including TV then Joanna Lumley surely deserves a mention for Avengers and Ab Fab.

Also, whilst not really franchises, do think it’s remarkable how Tom Watson has gone from playing Dangermouse’s sidekick, Penfold, to being Deputy leader of the Labour Party.
smile

Halb

46,671 posts

122 months

Saturday 16th March
quotequote all
Ridealong said:
Ian McKellan co-star Patrick Stewart.

Captain Jean Luc Picard
Professor Charles Xavier
And now Bosley of Charlie's Angels
OP was about film franchises. Otherwise the classic would be Roger Moore. But Picard would also be in there, since they are both iconic. He's not known for that last one.

Halb

46,671 posts

122 months

Saturday 16th March
quotequote all
InitialDave said:
Karl Urban could be on the list if the Dredd Netflix thing eventually happens, to accompany his Trek stint as McCoy.
Urban, thanks to SPock and Dredd popped into my head, if only Dredd 2 or Mega-City 1 happened.

EVLATECOMER

25 posts

16 months

Saturday 16th March
quotequote all
Dr Jekyll said:
Dennis Waterman.

The Sweeney
Minder

New tricks
Does he get extra points for "signing the theme toon" as well or is that an urban myth?

Teddy Lop

930 posts

6 months

Saturday 16th March
quotequote all
Ridealong said:
Halb said:
Had a quick skim, most are not appropriate, but Ian McKellen as Gandalf and Magneto; is,a leading character, iconic, he has become a household face/voice thanks to them. He's the only contender for the modern Harrison I can see at the moment.
Ian McKellan co-star Patrick Stewart.

Captain Jean Luc Picard
Professor Charles Xavier
And now Bosley of Charlie's Angels
those and ronnie barker.

Everyone needs to take a look at their interpretation of iconic.

irocfan

18,611 posts

129 months

Saturday 16th March
quotequote all
InitialDave said:
If the Edgar Wright films count as a franchise (and certainly, I don't see why the Cornetto Trilogy shouldn't), Simon Pegg might be in with a shout now he's also established as Scotty in Star Trek. I guess you could argue he isn't playing the same character each time under Wright, though.
SP would be in for a shout because of ST and the MI films