It shouldnโ€™t bother me but....

It shouldnโ€™t bother me but....

Author
Discussion

matchmaker

7,447 posts

164 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Halmyre said:
BawlBag said:
Like I said many times now, this does not need to be film or tv related but got moved here for NO reason.
In saying that here’s another.
Cut to aerial shot of any major city and they need to show a huge title saying ‘Paris’ just in case the Eiffel Tower was not enough of clue.
Bonus points for Paris, France. OK, there's Paris, Texas, but it doesn't have a thousand foot high Meccano set in the middle of it.
Last weeks Pointless Celebrities had a "what city" question and one of the pictorial clues was the Eiffel Tower. Out of 100 people asked, apparently 4 didn't recognise it!

Halmyre

9,072 posts

103 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
matchmaker said:
Last weeks Pointless Celebrities had a "what city" question and one of the pictorial clues was the Eiffel Tower. Out of 100 people asked, apparently 4 didn't recognise it!
Probably thought it was Blackpool Tower.

Richard occasionally comments on some of the more WTF moments where you'd expect 100%. I think one was the capital of the UK, or the UK national anthem, which only scored about 94%.

7n8n

605 posts

154 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
whp1983 said:
Tv shows where they put a number plate on a car on a model that didn’t exist then (too new or too old)

Seen a midsummer murders with an E46 M3 on an 08 plate.... line of duty old Range Rover on new plate.

Immensely sad I know ??
White Lines, on Netflix.

Set on Ibiza, but a lot of the cars have Mallorca number plates giving away where the series was actually filmed.

7n8n

605 posts

154 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Sten. said:
When a character drives a strangely old/ low value car, doesn't really fit with the other cars seen or what you would expect them to drive, often with a fake reg to make it look newer. You just know its going to be crashed / blown up at some point.
Or when they drive something for added "character" that is implausible for regular use in the real world.

One that comes to mind is Luther where he undertakes all his missions in a clapped out 20 year old Volvo.

nonsequitur

17,183 posts

80 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
southendpier said:
Halmyre said:
nonsequitur said:
Glassman said:
Gameface said:
troc said:
CustardOnChips said:
Also, people crawling through ductwork. For many reasons it would be largely impossible.
Is that because there would be no room due to all the aliens, creepy clowns, snakes, zombies and ninjas already in them?
And John McClane.
Crawling through ducting is very, very dangerous. If someone were to start shooting you from below you can't dodge the bullets.
James Bond in Doctor No. He made it through and out despite creepy crawlies, intense heat, and a flood. Looked easy enough. Go Jimmy!shoot
Ah yes, that flood...how come it doesn't all pour out into the reactor control room?
I want them to remake it so he fights the giant squid too.
Yes, that was excellent in the original novel.

Some Gump

11,590 posts

150 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Gameface said:
Motorcycles that seemingly have the ability to change from road tyres to off road tyres depending on what surface they are on.
Never watch mission impossible. This happens like 20 times in 1 chase!

BawlBag

Original Poster:

208 posts

4 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
When every conversation is smart clever and perfectly formed constructed and executed as opposed to real life answers like ‘er, well, ya know’ or some such reply that is not a perfect retort

rriggs

93 posts

2 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
7n8n said:
Set on Ibiza, but a lot of the cars have Mallorca number plates giving away where the series was actually filmed.
Neither Ibiza nor Mallorca have their own number plates. They used either IB or PM depending on the system in place when the car was registered.

The plates are for the Balearic Islands. The old prefix was IB for Islas Balearic but this was changed to PM for Palma Mallorca as the capital of the islands.

They now use the randomly sequential combos the same as the rest of Spain so you cannot identify where the car was registered from the number plate.

Edited by rriggs on Thursday 25th February 17:03

Lotusgone

340 posts

91 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
BawlBag said:
When every conversation is smart clever and perfectly formed constructed and executed as opposed to real life answers like ‘er, well, ya know’ or some such reply that is not a perfect retort
...and where no-one under the age of 30 says "like" every fourth word.


Jack.77

67 posts

8 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Another one would be when you take your car for a Halfords mot not knowing how crap they are
Put down a load of unfair mot advisories which ruined a good clean mot history of 20 years then quoted £500 for a job which I could do easily myself in a few hours with £20 of parts online .then the saga of paying and due to covid no longer excepted cash even though they do at nearby Halfords shop so don’t understand that .So refused to give me back the keys until I payed which wasn’t very helpful with the card being left at home and no way of getting there .complete utter joke and never going back after all that

BawlBag

Original Poster:

208 posts

4 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Jack.77 said:
Another one would be when you take your car for a Halfords mot not knowing how crap they are
Put down a load of unfair mot advisories which ruined a good clean mot history of 20 years then quoted £500 for a job which I could do easily myself in a few hours with £20 of parts online .then the saga of paying and due to covid no longer excepted cash even though they do at nearby Halfords shop so don’t understand that .So refused to give me back the keys until I payed which wasn’t very helpful with the card being left at home and no way of getting there .complete utter joke and never going back after all that
Errr that should bother you smile

coppernorks

954 posts

10 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
Another cliché car one.

Every time a character is working on a car they are invariably under the car on a trolley
thing nowhere near the engine or diff............ not sure doing what ?

Flibble

5,658 posts

145 months

Wednesday 24th February
quotequote all
coppernorks said:
Another cliché car one.

Every time a character is working on a car they are invariably under the car on a trolley
thing nowhere near the engine or diff............ not sure doing what ?
They're usually randomly welding something.

rwindmill

261 posts

122 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
boyse7en said:
InitialDave said:
Euro Car Parts!

ECP website: "yes, we have those brake discs!"
Me: "Great! Can you deliver them?"
ECP website: "lol no"
Me: "Are they available for collection at my local stores?"
ECP website: "Noooooope."
Me: "At stores near my parents, or friends?"
ECP website: "Nah"
Me: "Which stores are they available at?"
ECP website: "Not telling you, you can only search based on a postcode and get a few nearest stores."
Me: "Arse. Fine, I'll actually ask someone some ECP to look it up for me."
Someone From ECP: "Yeah, we can't do that".

So... they have some kind of database for all this, with what parts can be found where. They can check this and report back with stock from ~4 stores based on a postcode. But neither the customer nor anyone else can do any other kind of search.

All I need is "any store in the UK with these available, sort by distance from X", and no bugger can do it!

So guess I'm getting my discs elsewhere...
I get fed up the the Eurocarparts' websites' determination to tell me a part is in stock at my local branch, so I go to place the order and then, and only then, do they say it will be available to collect the next day...
So its not in stock, is it. You're shipping it in from somewhere else.
Best thing to do with Euro Car Parts, is get the part number off their website, then go to the Car Parts 4 less website.

Its the same parent company, same trading address etc etc, but with the following differences:

- They only do postal delivery of the parts
- They are ALWAYS cheaper than Euro Car Parts (even with the stupid DFS style perma-sale)

Being fully honest, i have found that there are a very small number of parts that are only available on ECP, and not on CP4L. But i think that may be mostly down to me me looking for parts for a 1993 Ford Mondeo!!

rwindmill

261 posts

122 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
matchmaker said:
Halmyre said:
BawlBag said:
Like I said many times now, this does not need to be film or tv related but got moved here for NO reason.
In saying that here’s another.
Cut to aerial shot of any major city and they need to show a huge title saying ‘Paris’ just in case the Eiffel Tower was not enough of clue.
Bonus points for Paris, France. OK, there's Paris, Texas, but it doesn't have a thousand foot high Meccano set in the middle of it.
Last weeks Pointless Celebrities had a "what city" question and one of the pictorial clues was the Eiffel Tower. Out of 100 people asked, apparently 4 didn't recognise it!
You think that's bad!

I saw the pointless episode where the category was 'Planets viewed from Space'

One of the pictures was of Earth, and 7 people didn't recognise it

rwindmill

261 posts

122 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Lotusgone said:
BawlBag said:
When every conversation is smart clever and perfectly formed constructed and executed as opposed to real life answers like ‘er, well, ya know’ or some such reply that is not a perfect retort
...and where no-one under the age of 30 says "like" every fourth word.
And 'basically'..................

rdjohn

4,841 posts

159 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
rriggs said:
Neither Ibiza nor Mallorca have their own number plates. They used either IB or MA depending on the system in place when the car was registered.

The plates are for the Balearic Islands. The old prefix was IB for Islas Balearic but this was changed to MA for Palma Mallorca as the capital of the islands.

They now use the randomly sequential combos the same as the rest of Spain so you cannot identify where the car was registered from the number plate.
In the 71 - 00 format MA was Malaga, PM was Palma Majorca, after 97 - IB Islas Baleares

Castrol for a knave

2,011 posts

55 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
red_slr said:
slopes said:
redandwhite said:
Not car related , although reading some of these are another level.

Assault rifles/pistols in films;

  • everlasting rounds in a magazine
  • pistol guy always beats the assault rifle
  • continuous muzzle flash
  • ’making ready’ more than once
There are a few good films where you see people changing magazines but not many.
Heat is one
Mick Gould (ex 22 SAS) was heavily involved with Heat (and other films).

One of my pet hates is when you see a car drift or slide in a film but on the long shot you can see the skid marks from where they already had to do 5 takes before they got it right.
Apparently they specifically wanted it to be realistic, not the usual trite Hollywood stuff.

When you watch it, it's a very well executed section attack.

monthefish

19,761 posts

195 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
A Winner Is You said:
Actors always move the wheel side to side even when driving down a straight bit of road.
Next time you're on a straight piece of road, have a go at not moving the wheel at all, and let us know how you get on wink

nonsequitur

17,183 posts

80 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Car mistakes in films are nothing compared to aircraft. Be it movie, TV or anything else, they always get it wrong. But, in the name of entertainment, if it moves the story along and is exciting then that's fine with me.