The Apprentice 2023

Author
Discussion

FourWheelDrift

88,941 posts

287 months

Sunday 26th March 2023
quotequote all
Gary Woodland said:
Assistant vp at Barclays?
Those are bullst titles thrown around in the finance sector like confetti. - https://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/news/2015/07/w...

Milkyway

9,634 posts

56 months

Sunday 26th March 2023
quotequote all
Simba: The nursing home experience... but in the luxury of their own house. confused
( He sells things).

But... I have seen adverts for Simba hybrid mattresses. scratchchin

Edited by Milkyway on Monday 27th March 15:06

hungry_hog

2,345 posts

191 months

Sunday 26th March 2023
quotequote all
FourWheelDrift said:
Those are bullst titles thrown around in the finance sector like confetti. - https://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/news/2015/07/w...
I believe one above Analyst?

Clearly a smart guy - Econ degree from Nottingham + Barcap is no picnic, but he's taken a huge gamble

redrabbit29

1,513 posts

136 months

Monday 27th March 2023
quotequote all
FourWheelDrift said:
Gary Woodland said:
Assistant vp at Barclays?
Those are bullst titles thrown around in the finance sector like confetti. - https://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/news/2015/07/w...
Yea stupid job titles.

I was offered a "Vice President" job with a really big company. It's simply a manager role. Americanised rubbish, and apparently it's so make you sound more grand so clients feel better looked after.

Hants PHer

5,919 posts

114 months

Monday 27th March 2023
quotequote all
I think I preferred the show when it was actually about selecting an apprentice. This "£250k to be my new business partner" format is daft - as pointed out above, these youngsters simply don't have scalable businesses in the first place, just (ill conceived) ideas.

I mean, it's all good fun to watch, if rather cringeworthy, but I think it worked better as an extended interview.

Doofus

26,768 posts

176 months

Monday 27th March 2023
quotequote all
Hants PHer said:
I think I preferred the show when it was actually about selecting an apprentice. This "£250k to be my new business partner" format is daft - as pointed out above, these youngsters simply don't have scalable businesses in the first place, just (ill conceived) ideas.

I mean, it's all good fun to watch, if rather cringeworthy, but I think it worked better as an extended interview.
The apprentice thing caused a lot of resentment, apparently. People who actually worked for Alan had to sit by as some newbie turned up, sat at an empty desk with fk all to do, and got paid £100k for the privilege.

Deep Thought

36,172 posts

200 months

Monday 27th March 2023
quotequote all
redrabbit29 said:
FourWheelDrift said:
Gary Woodland said:
Assistant vp at Barclays?
Those are bullst titles thrown around in the finance sector like confetti. - https://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/news/2015/07/w...
Yea stupid job titles.

I was offered a "Vice President" job with a really big company. It's simply a manager role. Americanised rubbish, and apparently it's so make you sound more grand so clients feel better looked after.
My wife's a VP of Operations for the global company she works for. She currenty has 1500 people working under her, rising to around 2,500 soon. Shes one of 3 for EMEA, reporting to the COO for EMEA.

She hates the title though. Too Americanised for the UK, and like many job titles these days, over used.



GH911

31 posts

81 months

Monday 27th March 2023
quotequote all
Hants PHer said:
I think I preferred the show when it was actually about selecting an apprentice. This "£250k to be my new business partner" format is daft - as pointed out above, these youngsters simply don't have scalable businesses in the first place, just (ill conceived) ideas.

I mean, it's all good fun to watch, if rather cringeworthy, but I think it worked better as an extended interview.
I think I recall watching the 1st series of the US version, and the winner’s prize was to choose between 2 different projects that Trump had on the boil to work for in some sort of project management capacity (presumably for a decent salary). Something like constructing a golf course or an apartment block. Don’t know if he actually did it and saw the job through, but an appropriate outcome for the concept.

Tycho

11,726 posts

276 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
GH911 said:
Hants PHer said:
I think I preferred the show when it was actually about selecting an apprentice. This "£250k to be my new business partner" format is daft - as pointed out above, these youngsters simply don't have scalable businesses in the first place, just (ill conceived) ideas.

I mean, it's all good fun to watch, if rather cringeworthy, but I think it worked better as an extended interview.
I think I recall watching the 1st series of the US version, and the winner’s prize was to choose between 2 different projects that Trump had on the boil to work for in some sort of project management capacity (presumably for a decent salary). Something like constructing a golf course or an apartment block. Don’t know if he actually did it and saw the job through, but an appropriate outcome for the concept.
TBF if Trump was involved it was probably a pitch and putt course and a portacabin.

jammy-git

29,778 posts

215 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
Tycho said:
GH911 said:
Hants PHer said:
I think I preferred the show when it was actually about selecting an apprentice. This "£250k to be my new business partner" format is daft - as pointed out above, these youngsters simply don't have scalable businesses in the first place, just (ill conceived) ideas.

I mean, it's all good fun to watch, if rather cringeworthy, but I think it worked better as an extended interview.
I think I recall watching the 1st series of the US version, and the winner’s prize was to choose between 2 different projects that Trump had on the boil to work for in some sort of project management capacity (presumably for a decent salary). Something like constructing a golf course or an apartment block. Don’t know if he actually did it and saw the job through, but an appropriate outcome for the concept.
TBF if Trump was involved it was probably a pitch and putt course and a portacabin.
More like be in charge of funnelling money from Russia to pay for an elaborate golf course, then making sure the books are cooked, all before finding out he's not going to pay you either.

Deep Thought

36,172 posts

200 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
jammy-git said:
Tycho said:
GH911 said:
Hants PHer said:
I think I preferred the show when it was actually about selecting an apprentice. This "£250k to be my new business partner" format is daft - as pointed out above, these youngsters simply don't have scalable businesses in the first place, just (ill conceived) ideas.

I mean, it's all good fun to watch, if rather cringeworthy, but I think it worked better as an extended interview.
I think I recall watching the 1st series of the US version, and the winner’s prize was to choose between 2 different projects that Trump had on the boil to work for in some sort of project management capacity (presumably for a decent salary). Something like constructing a golf course or an apartment block. Don’t know if he actually did it and saw the job through, but an appropriate outcome for the concept.
TBF if Trump was involved it was probably a pitch and putt course and a portacabin.
More like be in charge of funnelling money from Russia to pay for an elaborate golf course, then making sure the books are cooked, all before finding out he's not going to pay you either.
The American ones with Trump were really good. One task was to "launch" an actual new car (a Pontiac i think), so they had to put together a launch campaign for that. I think at the end Pontiac give the winner one of the cars too (i think it was a little coupe). Proper, good stuff, not the dross they do that set up to fail.

Pontiac also used the marketing brochure the team designed.

https://chiefmarketer.com/pontiac-uses-marketing-b...



Edited by Deep Thought on Tuesday 28th March 11:00

Funk

26,409 posts

212 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
Tycho said:
GH911 said:
Hants PHer said:
I think I preferred the show when it was actually about selecting an apprentice. This "£250k to be my new business partner" format is daft - as pointed out above, these youngsters simply don't have scalable businesses in the first place, just (ill conceived) ideas.

I mean, it's all good fun to watch, if rather cringeworthy, but I think it worked better as an extended interview.
I think I recall watching the 1st series of the US version, and the winner’s prize was to choose between 2 different projects that Trump had on the boil to work for in some sort of project management capacity (presumably for a decent salary). Something like constructing a golf course or an apartment block. Don’t know if he actually did it and saw the job through, but an appropriate outcome for the concept.
TBF if Trump was involved it was probably a pitch and putt course and a portacabin.
#MtAGA

Make the Apprentice Great Again

Edited by Funk on Tuesday 28th March 12:46

Milkyway

9,634 posts

56 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
Funk said:
#MtAGA

Make the Apprentice Great Again

Edited by Funk on Tuesday 28th March 12:46
Maybe take some pointers from C4’s ‘Rise & Fall’.
The ‘contestants’ would be promoted, demoted or fired.
Only the final few on the top table would be in line for an investment.


Edited by Milkyway on Tuesday 28th March 14:32

s94wht

1,633 posts

62 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
Milkyway said:
Funk said:
#MtAGA

Make the Apprentice Great Again

Edited by Funk on Tuesday 28th March 12:46
Maybe take some pointers from C4’s ‘Rise & Fall’.
The ‘contestants’ would be promoted, demoted or fired.


Edited by Milkyway on Tuesday 28th March 14:27
Great idea! The format definitely needs a revamp.

Funk

26,409 posts

212 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
s94wht said:
Milkyway said:
Funk said:
#MtAGA

Make the Apprentice Great Again

Edited by Funk on Tuesday 28th March 12:46
Maybe take some pointers from C4’s ‘Rise & Fall’.
The ‘contestants’ would be promoted, demoted or fired.


Edited by Milkyway on Tuesday 28th March 14:27
Great idea! The format definitely needs a revamp.
If they're sticking to the 'business partner' concept then the interviews and business plans should be at the START of the process - begin with interviewing 30-40 candidates and their business plans. Narrow THAT down to 16 or whatever, then make them look like idiots for however many 'weeks' they pretend it's over (also ditch that crap as we all know it's a lie and filmed over the course of about 10 days...).

If they're really interested in calibre and quality they should allow the teams to work in a manner that actually reflects the real world, ie. not doing customer research once it's too late to change anything.

Also why are the candidates required to pitch their new business to Alan in front of all their competitors? That seems particularly cruel.

Deep Thought

36,172 posts

200 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
Funk said:
If they're sticking to the 'business partner' concept then the interviews and business plans should be at the START of the process - begin with interviewing 30-40 candidates and their business plans. Narrow THAT down to 16 or whatever, then make them look like idiots for however many 'weeks' they pretend it's over (also ditch that crap as we all know it's a lie and filmed over the course of about 10 days...).

If they're really interested in calibre and quality they should allow the teams to work in a manner that actually reflects the real world, ie. not doing customer research once it's too late to change anything.

Also why are the candidates required to pitch their new business to Alan in front of all their competitors? That seems particularly cruel.
+1

Agreed.

In theory he could be throwing someone out of the process who actually has a brilliant idea but needs mentoring, rather than keep the dolts who just happen to get a bit lucky / say the right thing at the right time, only to find out their business ideas are really st.

jammy-git

29,778 posts

215 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
They could even spend some of the weeks working on and refining their own business idea/plan. You know, in a way that might even be a tiny bit educational to other budding business people watching.

Milkyway

9,634 posts

56 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
Perhaps have a review episode rather than the interviews at the half way stage
They may show potential, but need a bit of guidance... some may be so offtrack that they could then be dismissed.
That would leave the second half of the series to the really serious contenders... with more challenging & relevant tasks.
( BBC... Are you taking notes)


Edited by Milkyway on Tuesday 28th March 15:21

anonymous-user

57 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
Make the apprentice more like squid games.

thegreenhell

16,161 posts

222 months

Tuesday 28th March 2023
quotequote all
jammy-git said:
They could even spend some of the weeks working on and refining their own business idea/plan. You know, in a way that might even be a tiny bit educational to other budding business people watching.
The problem is that sensible ideas don't make good primetime viewing for the unwashed masses to consume. If you make it appear too much like school homework then they'll just switch over to ITV.