Police called to 99p store sale

Police called to 99p store sale

Author
Discussion

worsy

Original Poster:

4,253 posts

137 months

Monday 20th January 2014
quotequote all
http://www.wrexham.com/news/police-called-as-99p-s...

Not sure this reflects badly on Wrexham or society itself.

From the website said:
Police were called to the 99p Store on Wrexham’s Regent Street this afternoon due to large numbers of shoppers chasing a 50p discount.

The store had advertised a ‘half price’ sale via a window poster, however had forgotten to state it was time limited causing word to spread around Wrexham with hundreds turning up at the shop.

Wrexham.com saw several shoppers leave laden with bags full of items as shelves soon started to clear of goods.

Products that seem to have been the best seller of the day were cleaning products along with toilet roll. There were also a fair few empty crisp and drink shelves.
Deary me!

P-Jay

9,497 posts

153 months

Monday 20th January 2014
quotequote all
"Wrexham"...

Case closed, it's a mental asylum masquerading as a town.


Symbolica

10,819 posts

177 months

Monday 20th January 2014
quotequote all
I can confirm that Wrexham is a total sthole full of unbelievably tight bds.

MajorProblem

4,700 posts

126 months

Monday 20th January 2014
quotequote all
There is a poundland next to the gym where I live, when I go early to the gym there is a bigger queue waiting for poundland to open than the gym lol.

Yes I am poor and live up north.

robuk

739 posts

152 months

Monday 20th January 2014
quotequote all
This will be great market research for free - expect 49p shops to pop up around the country now!

FourWheelDrift

81,664 posts

246 months

Monday 20th January 2014
quotequote all
Toilet Rolls and cleaning products, seems they have a more serious problem than 99p shop riots.

TheSnitch

2,342 posts

116 months

Monday 20th January 2014
quotequote all
Symbolica said:
I can confirm that Wrexham is a total sthole full of unbelievably tight bds.
Oh come now!

It's nowhere near that nice.

Art0ir

9,311 posts

132 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
robuk said:
This will be great market research for free - expect 49p shops to pop up around the country now!
Products would be naff.

Most independent pound shops buy stuff by the container load (after choosing from a list of thousands upon thousands of products normally) and last time I checked it works out about 36p per item in the UK. Add VAT, wages, rates, energy, etc and there's not much scope for making money unless you're in the sort of area where you have queues outside in the morning for example.

Blue Oval84

4,953 posts

123 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
Art0ir said:
robuk said:
This will be great market research for free - expect 49p shops to pop up around the country now!
Products would be naff.

Most independent pound shops buy stuff by the container load (after choosing from a list of thousands upon thousands of products normally) and last time I checked it works out about 36p per item in the UK. Add VAT, wages, rates, energy, etc and there's not much scope for making money unless you're in the sort of area where you have queues outside in the morning for example.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542908/Th...

I wish I'd set one up a few years ago...

FourWheelDrift

81,664 posts

246 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
Money still can't buy taste though.

Wacky Racer

33,981 posts

209 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
The typical large poundland/poundworld/99p store takes around £80k a week plus.

I think they are a very welcome addition to the high street, and are very well run.

Art0ir

9,311 posts

132 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
Blue Oval84 said:
Art0ir said:
robuk said:
This will be great market research for free - expect 49p shops to pop up around the country now!
Products would be naff.

Most independent pound shops buy stuff by the container load (after choosing from a list of thousands upon thousands of products normally) and last time I checked it works out about 36p per item in the UK. Add VAT, wages, rates, energy, etc and there's not much scope for making money unless you're in the sort of area where you have queues outside in the morning for example.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542908/Th...

I wish I'd set one up a few years ago...
All about volume of sales. Same as the massive eBay stores selling anything under £10.

rpguk

4,360 posts

246 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
I am amazed at what you can pick up in a 99p store and always leave with at least £4.95 worth of stuff. Often I don't even need anything, just can't go by without taking a peek.

OzzyR1

4,757 posts

194 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
rpguk said:
I am amazed at what you can pick up in a 99p store and always leave with at least £4.95 worth of stuff. Often I don't even need anything, just can't go by without taking a peek.
Last time I went in a pound shop, bought a pack of 1,000 cable ties - bundled by the 100 in sizes from 100mm to 300mm.

That was about 2 years ago and I'm still using them now, probably the best quid I ever spent.

phil-sti

2,237 posts

141 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
OzzyR1 said:
Last time I went in a pound shop, bought a pack of 1,000 cable ties - bundled by the 100 in sizes from 100mm to 300mm.

That was about 2 years ago and I'm still using them now, probably the best quid I ever spent.
I'm off for a look this weekend as I need some of them :-)

Wacky Racer

33,981 posts

209 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
phil-sti said:
OzzyR1 said:
Last time I went in a pound shop, bought a pack of 1,000 cable ties - bundled by the 100 in sizes from 100mm to 300mm.

That was about 2 years ago and I'm still using them now, probably the best quid I ever spent.
I'm off for a look this weekend as I need some of them :-)
They've sold out...sale ended Sunday 5pm.

hehe

Symbolica

10,819 posts

177 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
OzzyR1 said:
Last time I went in a pound shop, bought a pack of 1,000 cable ties - bundled by the 100 in sizes from 100mm to 300mm.

That was about 2 years ago and I'm still using them now, probably the best quid I ever spent.
But just think, if you'd bought them for 49p you'd feel twice as good!

Olf

11,970 posts

180 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all


99p zombies....

BoRED S2upid

16,373 posts

202 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
Ah my home town I can't say I miss it. Lots of 99p stores there now.

TheBear

1,940 posts

208 months

Tuesday 21st January 2014
quotequote all
What I don't understand is that at 99p it's still very cheap and surely not a deal breaker. But at 49p suddenly hoards of people can't get enough! Really? So not interested at 99p but massively at 49p?

Proof that the word "Sale", no matter what the starting price, has people going bonkers!!