Yellow vests - fuel protest day of action in France

Yellow vests - fuel protest day of action in France

Author
Discussion

Earthdweller

Original Poster:

2,263 posts

70 months

Friday 16th November 2018
quotequote all
In response to the French government’s plans to increase duty on fossil fuels particularly diesel it seems that a National day of protest is being planned on 17/11

Protesters wearing “yellow vests” have pledged to bring all the roads in France to a standstill

Campaigners are saying that it unfairly hits rural communities as there is no alternative to diesel cars

Seems like tomorrow might be quite interesting in France

caelite

4,126 posts

56 months

Friday 16th November 2018
quotequote all
Will proudly take part if they come here. Not sure why more trade unions push for this as fuel costs hit the working poor the hardest, the cost of which is no fault of the free market but almost purely our governments doing.

SAS Tom

2,490 posts

118 months

Friday 16th November 2018
quotequote all
Surely petrol is an alternative to diesel to people in rural communities?

Einion Yrth

17,762 posts

188 months

Friday 16th November 2018
quotequote all
SAS Tom said:
Surely petrol is an alternative to diesel to people in rural communities?
Not if they own diesel vehicles.

Earthdweller

Original Poster:

2,263 posts

70 months

Friday 16th November 2018
quotequote all
SAS Tom said:
Surely petrol is an alternative to diesel to people in rural communities?
Diesel used to be about 15c a litre cheaper than petrol .. now it’s the same price

Diesel cars go twice as far on a litre than a petrol car

Living in a rural area petrol cars are not really an option

Where I am diesel is 15c less than petrol and I can get 55 mpg out of it .. when it’s a 40 mile round trip to the shop it’s a big deal

magooagain

2,799 posts

114 months

Friday 16th November 2018
quotequote all
Yep it's happening. We are off early doors with our vests to join our local town protest.

Edit to add: All the Brits going to collect thier loved ones etc from our local airport(Limoges) are going to have a wait. Plans are to block the airport in and out,at least to lunch time lol.

Edited by magooagain on Friday 16th November 22:01

Dogwatch

5,180 posts

166 months

Friday 16th November 2018
quotequote all
Better hope the Macaroon government doesn't get hold of Hammond and his treasury masters underlings who have figured out that as diesel is more economical you can put a bit more tax on it. Mon Dieu!

wc98

8,974 posts

84 months

Friday 16th November 2018
quotequote all
good on them,nice to see some nations still understand the notiuon public servants are supposed to work for them and make their existence easier,not the opposite.

rxe

2,507 posts

47 months

Friday 16th November 2018
quotequote all
Got to hand it to the frogs, the know how to have a good protest. All power to them.

smifffymoto

2,778 posts

149 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
Earlier this year tax on all fuel went up 4 cents/litre,so it’s a bit late but I suppose better late than never.
However ,May ‘68 it won’t be.....

pablo

14,540 posts

217 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
Earthdweller said:


Diesel cars go twice as far on a litre than a petrol car
No they don’t. I can get 45mpg from my petrol focus, you can’t get 90 mpg from your diesel anything, in fact you’d be hard pushed to get more than 60



Edited by pablo on Saturday 17th November 08:35

skyrover

12,186 posts

148 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
France could offset the diesel tax rise with a petrol duty cut

LHRFlightman

1,287 posts

114 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
pablo said:
Earthdweller said:


Diesel cars go twice as far on a litre than a petrol car
No they don’t. I can get 45mpg from my petrol focus, you can’t get 90 mpg from your diesel anything, in fact you’d be hard pushed to get more than 60



Edited by pablo on Saturday 17th November 08:35
Agree with that. I'm getting 64mpg out of my 1.0 petrol Civic. Show me the diesel that does 120mpg!

Morvan

9 posts

18 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
magooagain said:
Yep it's happening. We are off early doors with our vests to join our local town protest.

Edit to add: All the Brits going to collect thier loved ones etc from our local airport(Limoges) are going to have a wait. Plans are to block the airport in and out,at least to lunch time lol.

Edited by magooagain on Friday 16th November 22:01
What will the protest achieve, why do it on a weekend? Why not do it during the week when it would have a much greater impact on business, commuters etc. ? A Saturday will have no affect, the majority of people can simply stay at home. A protest during the week creating much more inconvenience might, just might make Macron take notice.
Having said that diesel has gone up in price by 23% in my area and for the first time in 30 years it's cheaper in the UK.

funkyrobot

17,480 posts

172 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
Isn't this just a plot by clothing sellers to shift more yellow vests?

Bit like a car manufacturer having loads of black cars left, so they badge them up as a special edition to shift them?

deckster

4,474 posts

199 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
Morvan said:
What will the protest achieve, why do it on a weekend? Why not do it during the week when it would have a much greater impact on business, commuters etc. ? A Saturday will have no affect, the majority of people can simply stay at home. A protest during the week creating much more inconvenience might, just might make Macron take notice.
Having said that diesel has gone up in price by 23% in my area and for the first time in 30 years it's cheaper in the UK.
Protesters in France are cleverer than that though, they want the general populace to support them so they make sure that they don't impact normal people too much.

I was very grateful a little while back when some protesters in Lyon held the peage gates open all day in protest at the lowering of speed limits - saved me a good 70 euros in autoroute tolls.

Jasandjules

62,897 posts

173 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
Good for them. I wish the British had the courage to stand up for what they believe in

The Dangerous Elk

4,642 posts

21 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
Jasandjules said:
Good for them. I wish the British had the courage to stand up for what they believe in
We do, we voted Leave (right or wrong)

magpie215

2,504 posts

133 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
Jasandjules said:
Good for them. I wish the British had the courage to stand up for what they believe in
I think the U.K fuel protests were close too crashing the economy......the savings were very short lived...I see we are over £1.30L at most forecourts now.



Jasandjules

62,897 posts

173 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
The Dangerous Elk said:
We do, we voted Leave (right or wrong)
I don't think voting in an election we were permitted to have is quite the same.............