Gatwick closed by drones

Author
Discussion

snuffy

4,452 posts

222 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
There we go, all sorted.

The Government has introduced some new laws, so that's it all taken care of:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46787730

The fact that only the law abiding obey the law is neither here nor there.

BBC Article said:
The plans follow a consultation into the use of drones which began in July.
Jimmy Chin.

Rich_W

9,834 posts

150 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
snuffy said:
There we go, all sorted.

The Government has introduced some new laws, so that's it all taken care of:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46787730

The fact that only the law abiding obey the law is neither here nor there.

BBC Article said:
The plans follow a consultation into the use of drones which began in July.
Jimmy Chin.
The fact that the government even considered this a "solution" to potential illegal drone activity (and the 250g things a bit light by the sounds of it!)
The fact the media aren't asking "wtf is that going to solve"
The fact that no one has been arrested and charged with all this.


Is everyone utterly useless or am I missing something?

El stovey

24,691 posts

201 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
From the BBC

“The area around airports where drones are banned from flying will also be extended, and from 30 November operators of drones between 250g and 20kg will need to be registered.”

250g is pretty light. A mavic air pro is around 750g even the mavic air is 450g and the tiny dji spark is 300g

Many countries that already have restrictions and rules about registering drones use 250g or have rules about prop guards and cameras. The U.K. is actually a bit late to the party here.

Lemming Train

1,813 posts

10 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
"He said the problems at Gatwick were solved by "smart and innovative use of new technology", but declined to reveal what this was for "security reasons"."

Uh-huh...

surveyor

13,289 posts

122 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
El stovey said:
From the BBC

“The area around airports where drones are banned from flying will also be extended, and from 30 November operators of drones between 250g and 20kg will need to be registered.”

250g is pretty light. A mavic air pro is around 750g even the mavic air is 450g and the tiny dji spark is 300g

Many countries that already have restrictions and rules about registering drones use 250g or have rules about prop guards and cameras. The U.K. is actually a bit late to the party here.
Exclusion area will be atc zone. How many hobbiests won’t have a clue...
Advertisement

Bigends

2,775 posts

66 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Arrested couple look like theyre bailing out https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1067916/gatwick-...

fatboy18

15,793 posts

149 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Bigends said:
Arrested couple look like theyre bailing out https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1067916/gatwick-...
I really hope they can get a good solicitor and take the media for all their worth.

TeamD

4,049 posts

170 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
Rich_W said:
The fact that the government even considered this a "solution" to potential illegal drone activity (and the 250g things a bit light by the sounds of it!)
The fact the media aren't asking "wtf is that going to solve"
The fact that no one has been arrested and charged with all this.


Is everyone utterly useless or am I missing something?
No, you aren't missing anything.

This is yet another example of how the hard of thinking approach problem solving. It is the self same approach that results in "turn in off and turn it on again" dullard solution in the IT industry.

The problem is that politicians and bureaucrats have no ability to creatively come up with a sensible approach to anything. I'm heartily fed up with this bone headed, knee jerk attitude that results in the punishment of the law abiding whilst completely failing to address those that don't obey the rules.

For example, what difference will extending the exclusion zone around airports actually make? Answer: Absolutely freaking Nothing!

When I purchased a drone recently I had researched what the rules were and where I would be able to safely and legally operate it. I'm at a loss to see what difference making me travel 4kms away from home will make for the safety of aircraft. There is 1, and only 1, aircraft that flies at low level through the zone in which I might be operating my drone at present. It's the Air Ambulance helicopter and it's bloody noisy, giving plenty of notice that it is coming and to take mitigating action (erm...land the effing drone sharpish.) It's not rocket science is it?

Yet another example of stupid legislation designed by stupid people. frown

Not-The-Messiah

1,065 posts

19 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
I don't have a drone but if I did and I was flying somthing like a 50 gram drone about outside. The sort of thing you buy in Tesco in the toy section the size of you hand. And a cop comes up to me and asked "Have you got your registration to fly that?" I will more than likely reply "Have you got your registration for being such a sad ?"

Stupid and retarded law made up by people who just feel they need to tell everyone how to do everything.

You would need to register something like this I bet the registration will cost more that the drone.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112924862053?chn=ps&u...

Edited by Not-The-Messiah on Tuesday 8th January 02:15

TeamD

4,049 posts

170 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
Not-The-Messiah said:
You would need to register something like this I bet the registration will cost more that the drone.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112924862053?chn=ps&u...
It's only 50g so proposed legislation wouldn't require registration.

Cold

6,123 posts

28 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
There was no drone.

Not-The-Messiah

1,065 posts

19 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
TeamD said:
Not-The-Messiah said:
You would need to register something like this I bet the registration will cost more that the drone.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112924862053?chn=ps&u...
It's only 50g so proposed legislation wouldn't require registration.
Me being stupid read it as grams not Kg getmecoat

98elise

13,678 posts

99 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
TeamD said:
No, you aren't missing anything.

This is yet another example of how the hard of thinking approach problem solving. It is the self same approach that results in "turn in off and turn it on again" dullard solution in the IT industry.
That's a weird comparison. Rebooting fixes a lot of problems for good reasons. If you want systems that work error free with every other system on the planet then it's going to get very expensive.

TeamD

4,049 posts

170 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
98elise said:
That's a weird comparison. Rebooting fixes a lot of problems for good reasons. If you want systems that work error free with every other system on the planet then it's going to get very expensive.
I disagree, you won't have solved the problem, you've just postponed the symptom...until next time it goes wrong. A truly amateur approach to problem resolution.

Biker 1

3,013 posts

57 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
Cold said:
There was no drone.
God I hope you're wrong, but this is looking increasingly likely.
My flight was delayed by some 6 hours the day after 'security measures' had been put in place, so it was a very irritating long slog, but not the end of the world. Poor buggers who had Xmas basically cancelled by all of this deserve better. As for the wrongly arrested couple from Crawley: I don't normally think much about milking a situation financially for all its worth, but on this occasion, they should be suing the st out of the media & offered reasonable compensation by the apparently totally inept plod, who appear to have been totally out of their depth on this one.
What is interesting is that passengers were not entitled to compensation as the matter was out of the airlines' hands. However, if it transpires that there were indeed no drones whatsoever, would compensation then not be due from the authorities? The people running Gatwick....??

poo at Paul's

6,614 posts

113 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
Not-The-Messiah said:
I don't have a drone but if I did and I was flying somthing like a 50 gram drone about outside. The sort of thing you buy in Tesco in the toy section the size of you hand. And a cop comes up to me and asked "Have you got your registration to fly that?" I will more than likely reply "Have you got your registration for being such a sad ?"



Edited by Not-The-Messiah on Tuesday 8th January 02:15
As mentioned, your 50g drone is below the weight limit propsed, but ignoring that, I am old enough to have had to purchase a Licence under the wireless telegraphy Act to operate a radio controlled car in the 1970's. Even without the instant online access and tech we have nowadays, it was not an issue, nipped in the post office, showed some id / address proof, paid them their pound for whatever it was, was given licence, carried it with me.

So when the country, roads and airwaves were far less crowded, we had to be licenced, why not now?

Edited by poo at Paul's on Tuesday 8th January 08:46

TeamD

4,049 posts

170 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
poo at Paul's said:
Whilst you say that, i am old enough to have had to purchase a Licence under the wireless telegraphy Act to operate a radio controlled car in the 1970's. Even without the instant online access and tech we have nowadays, it was not an issue, nipped in the post office, showed some id / address proof, paid them their pound for whatever it was, was given licence, carried it with me.

So when the country, roads and airwaves were far less crowded, we had to be licenced, why not now?
And what did this magical piece of paper achieve? Other than keeping some bureaucrats in a job that is.


Penelope Stopit

3,736 posts

47 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
Cold said:
There was no drone.
Laws will have been changed to deal with virtual drones by virtual MPs that work for a virtual government

The Hypno-Toad

9,496 posts

143 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
Because I'm old and senile now, I have been wracking by brain to think what all of this story reminded me of. And then I finally remembered....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angele...


croyde

15,129 posts

168 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
The Hypno-Toad said:
Because I'm old and senile now, I have been wracking by brain to think what all of this story reminded me of. And then I finally remembered....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angele...
Interesting read.

Did at first thought you meant the film with a similar name that had the US Army fighting aliens hehe