Can Sir Keir Starmer revive the Labour Party?

Can Sir Keir Starmer revive the Labour Party?

Author
Discussion

andy43

7,805 posts

231 months

Wednesday 11th May
quotequote all
The Starmer and Crayons meeting probably wasn't legal - even the BBC have got that right - but I'm not a lawyer, oh, hang on, err Keith mate shout

BBC said:
The guidance on gathering at work at the time was that people should only meet in person at work if it was reasonably necessary to do so, and that they should maintain social distancing.
That meant staying two metres apart if possible, or one metre apart with other measures being taken to reduce risk.
It also recommended holding meetings outdoors when possible, and using ventilation such as air conditioning and open doors and windows, if meetings had to be indoors. The guidance did not mention alcohol.
The government issued extra guidance for campaigning ahead of the May 2021 elections.
It said that while it was "essential that campaigning be allowed in the run-up to the polls" on 6 May, "all campaigning activity will need to follow the relevant rules on gatherings and social distancing".
It also recommended: "You should not meet with other campaigners indoors."
Travelling most of the way across the country to meet people you don't normally work with, indoors, all pre-planned, with invitations and with internal labour party publicity sent out to attract more 'co-workers' could actually be more dangerous covid-wise than regularly getting pissed in the garden of number 10 with all the co-workers you do normally work with day in day out... but Keith's not lied to Parliament about it. Lied to everybody else, just not Parliament.

I do think the whole thing is a total waste of time and energy though - cost of living, Ukraine, energy crisis - there's far more important stuff we need fking up...

Vanden Saab

10,807 posts

51 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
andy_s said:
Mark Benson said:
I should have put 'guilty' in inverted commas; as I said, it's politics, not the courtroom. Which brings up the second thing.....
By putting the decision of his resignation in the hands of the police (by saying he'll go if he's given a FPN), he's put intolerable pressure on them - one side will be apoplectic if they issue a FPN, the other will be apoplectic if they don't. The police can't now appear impartial whatever they do - a former DPP would know that.
As I said before, if they think there is substance then a. they'll consult with CPS to off-set the 'bias' issue and then say 'minor breach, but we won't issue a FPN'.

That way they are impartial, authoritative and yet don't trigger the resignation of the LotO.

After that we can spend another two weeks on to-ing and fro-ing in the House of Commons while Rome burns.
Not so sure this lady got a retrospective £10,000 fine for an outside gathering in Durham...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10811793/...

anonymoususer

3,448 posts

25 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
In a way Keir should be the right guy for the job.
Based on that he has upset both left and right factions. Only today it looks like Tony Blair has offered advice to junk woke stuff

Vanden Saab

10,807 posts

51 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
After making this statement on twitter while running for the leadership election

Kier said:
The selections for Labour candidates needs to be more democratic and we should end NEC impositions of candidates. Local Party members should select their candidates for every election.
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1224662165...

It seems it was just more lies as the entire Labour executive in Wakefield have resigned over the imposition of a candidate from outside of the area and the wholesale ignoring of even the existing rules...

https://labourlist.org/2022/05/exclusive-wakefield...

I guess as happened with his time at the DPP he will claim that while he is actually in charge the decision was made by someone else, he was unaware of it and he will do everything he can to make up for this mistake too.

Seems I might have caught a mild dose of Bykeritus, must be time for a Doombar.

dai1983

2,616 posts

126 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Can't wait for the mid Kormagate polls to be published.

bitchstewie

40,379 posts

187 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Good reminder.


turbobloke

96,123 posts

237 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
bhstewie said:
Good reminder.

Yes, on face value fair enough.

Have you checked where the Con vote would be within error bars, likewise Lab? Any overlap?

It depends on sample size in particular.

YouGov on or around 05 May was 35% Con 36% Lab.

MG CHRIS

8,636 posts

144 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
turbobloke said:
bhstewie said:
Good reminder.

Yes, on face value fair enough.

Have you checked where the Con vote would be within error bars, likewise Lab? Any overlap?

It depends on sample size in particular.

YouGov on or around 05 May was 35% Con 36% Lab.
That's not exactly encouraging for labour let's be honest they should be 10 points clear how with all that's gone on with the Tories is labour failing to actually make a dent. I did have hopes for kier but my god think I rather have Corbyn as opposition kier doesn't appeal to anyone group or people. It's like watching paint dry every time he talks.

bitchstewie

40,379 posts

187 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
turbobloke said:
Yes, on face value fair enough.

Have you checked where the Con vote would be within error bars, likewise Lab? Any overlap?

It depends on sample size in particular.

YouGov on or around 05 May was 35% Con 36% Lab.
It's just a snapshot of a moment in time hehe

biggbn

13,201 posts

197 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
MG CHRIS said:
turbobloke said:
bhstewie said:
Good reminder.

Yes, on face value fair enough.

Have you checked where the Con vote would be within error bars, likewise Lab? Any overlap?

It depends on sample size in particular.

YouGov on or around 05 May was 35% Con 36% Lab.
That's not exactly encouraging for labour let's be honest they should be 10 points clear how with all that's gone on with the Tories is labour failing to actually make a dent. I did have hopes for kier but my god think I rather have Corbyn as opposition kier doesn't appeal to anyone group or people. It's like watching paint dry every time he talks.
Agreed, watching them just now is like watching a penalty shoot out where one team is so arrogant it doesn't bother putting a keeper between the sticks, yet the other one keeps blasting it over the bar.

dai1983

2,616 posts

126 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
biggbn said:
MG CHRIS said:
turbobloke said:
bhstewie said:
Good reminder.

Yes, on face value fair enough.

Have you checked where the Con vote would be within error bars, likewise Lab? Any overlap?

It depends on sample size in particular.

YouGov on or around 05 May was 35% Con 36% Lab.
That's not exactly encouraging for labour let's be honest they should be 10 points clear how with all that's gone on with the Tories is labour failing to actually make a dent. I did have hopes for kier but my god think I rather have Corbyn as opposition kier doesn't appeal to anyone group or people. It's like watching paint dry every time he talks.
Agreed, watching them just now is like watching a penalty shoot out where one team is so arrogant it doesn't bother putting a keeper between the sticks, yet the other one keeps blasting it over the bar.
This was peak Korma/beergate which seems to have quietened down the last few days. The prediction was labour would fall further in this poll.

Maybe they have and its down to margin of error.

El stovey

42,095 posts

240 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
“Margin of error” hehe

Loving TBs latest excuse.

bitchstewie

40,379 posts

187 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Yeah not sure I remember that one when every day had a new poll showing just how well Johnson was doing.

Not sure why he stopped posting them?

Oh well hehe

andy_s

18,449 posts

236 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
The polling, it seems to me, has a 'base level' that never alters and a floating %age that get swayed depending on the headlines of the day. Not sure that's a 'good look' for the quality of collective conscience.

bitchstewie

40,379 posts

187 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
I think that's always been the way hasn't it Andy?

Blair realised that if you appeal to the people in the middle who don't just vote off blind tribal loyalty you win.

andy_s

18,449 posts

236 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
bhstewie said:
I think that's always been the way hasn't it Andy?

Blair realised that if you appeal to the people in the middle who don't just vote off blind tribal loyalty you win.
Oh it's nothing new, but striking lately due to the to-and-fro [wiffwaff] at pace, but who votes Labour when they see cake and conservative when they see beer all in the space of a week. It's odd to me, but 'humans' I guess.

bitchstewie

40,379 posts

187 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
andy_s said:
Oh it's nothing new, but striking lately due to the to-and-fro [wiffwaff] at pace, but who votes Labour when they see cake and conservative when they see beer all in the space of a week. It's odd to me, but 'humans' I guess.
You may be giving people too much credit when it comes to knowledge of or interest in politics.

Show most people the Cabinet (let alone the Shadow Cabinet) and I bet most people could only name a few let alone tell you what they do.

We're the freaks.

andy43

7,805 posts

231 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
It just shows how much sway the media has for that group of floaters (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).
One headline in the papers, repeated on the news, online, on facebook a few times and you've been officially biased.

saaby93

30,931 posts

155 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
andy43 said:
It just shows how much sway the media has for that group of floaters (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).
One headline in the papers, repeated on the news, online, on facebook a few times and you've been officially biased.
Happens in other parts of the world too

El stovey

42,095 posts

240 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
andy43 said:
It just shows how much sway the media has for that group of floaters (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).
One headline in the papers, repeated on the news, online, on facebook a few times and you've been officially biased.
Remember it’s just polls far from an election at the end of the day, hopefully it’s bigger issues and policy that matters more in an actual GE.

For labour to look like they could possibly win a GE they’d likely have to be much much further ahead than this at this point in the cycle.

Labour narrowly ahead is possibly the worst case for everyone, it allows everyone to say it’s evidence of their own bias plus it makes it less likely Boris or Starmer will get replaced as neither is much ahead of the other and both parties think they’re in with a shout with their current leaders.

So really, as things are with the polls we’re likely to blunder on with the same 2 jokers in charge of the country and the opposition for the foreseeable future and nothing much will change.

Which I think most people on here now agree isn’t the best for the country.