Welsh lockdown

Author
Discussion

foobies

138 posts

59 months

Sunday 14th February
quotequote all
survivalist said:
Do you not think he's got a point? Rather than investigating crime they are wasting the time of law abiding citizens going about their business.

If their physiques were as described, getting close to the general public probably puts them at risk when they could have kept a government recommended distance.

Sadly, I think that some high profile incidents during the pandemic have done an exceptionally effective job of making the police unpopular with the very demographic that previously supported them.
I should have left some of the stuff that I wrote out, so I’m sorry to anyone I offended. It was called out as pathetic and unnecessary, I can’t argue with that.

To part of what I said though, I don’t understand why it needed two people to ask the same two questions, when we are supposed to be avoiding contact and interaction so far as possible.

I know they have better intelligence than I do, but to be pulling over every car on the main road to a supermarket also seems a bit daft. But perhaps they know something I don’t.


survivalist

3,309 posts

154 months

Sunday 14th February
quotequote all
Matt.. said:
survivalist said:
Do you not think he's got a point? Rather than investigating crime they are wasting the time of law abiding citizens going about their business.

If their physiques were as described, getting close to the general public probably puts them at risk when they could have kept a government recommended distance.

Sadly, I think that some high profile incidents during the pandemic have done an exceptionally effective job of making the police unpopular with the very demographic that previously supported them.
I really don’t see why physical appearance described in the way it was is appropriate.

If there’s a conversation to be had about police resource allocation and general covid rules in Wales then that’s fine, but that should be discussed in a sensible manner.

This forum seriously needs to cut out the inappropriate conversations that continually plague threads.
One assumes because obesity is a considerable risk factor when considering the outcomes of COVID-19. Age is another factor, so I would expect people to surprised if the Welsh constabulary started putting retired, former police officers in their 80’s on the front line.

If, for example, COVID-19 disproportionately affected people with blue eyes, would it be inappropriate to question why people with blue eyes were placed in front line duty during a pandemic?

Plymo

534 posts

53 months

Monday 15th February
quotequote all
foobies said:
... but to be pulling over every car on the main road to a supermarket also seems a bit daft. But perhaps they know something I don’t.
Perhaps the reason they were doing it there is that they reckon it's bks too, so they've set up somewhere to stop a few people to keep their superiors happy (because theyve been leant on from above to "do something" too).

On the other hand they could well be overzealous coppers, but who aren't imaginative enough to set up somewhere where more people would be breaking the rules...

There's probably about a 50/50 chance of either to be honest.

Biggy Stardust

1,091 posts

8 months

Monday 15th February
quotequote all
Plymo said:
Perhaps the reason they were doing it there is that they reckon it's bks too, so they've set up somewhere to stop a few people to keep their superiors happy (because theyve been leant on from above to "do something" too).

On the other hand they could well be overzealous coppers, but who aren't imaginative enough to set up somewhere where more people would be breaking the rules...

There's probably about a 50/50 chance of either to be honest.
To be equally honest I don't think either scenario makes them look particularly good.

Matt..

3,211 posts

153 months

Friday 19th February
quotequote all
At the end of this next 3 week period Cardiff (and most of Wales) will have reached 230 days in lockdown (with travel restrictions). That is 63% of the last year and doesn’t even take us to the end of the lockdown year.

This must surely be near the top of the world list for lockdowns?

PBCD

316 posts

102 months

Friday 19th February
quotequote all
Matt.. said:
At the end of this next 3 week period Cardiff (and most of Wales) will have reached 230 days in lockdown (with travel restrictions). That is 63% of the last year and doesn’t even take us to the end of the lockdown year.

This must surely be near the top of the world list for lockdowns?
"no biggie"frown

Sargeant Orange

2,447 posts

111 months

Friday 19th February
quotequote all
Matt.. said:
At the end of this next 3 week period Cardiff (and most of Wales) will have reached 230 days in lockdown (with travel restrictions). That is 63% of the last year and doesn’t even take us to the end of the lockdown year.

This must surely be near the top of the world list for lockdowns?
It's a marathon not a sprint remember.........

phil_cardiff

5,264 posts

172 months

Friday 19th February
quotequote all
Sargeant Orange said:
Matt.. said:
At the end of this next 3 week period Cardiff (and most of Wales) will have reached 230 days in lockdown (with travel restrictions). That is 63% of the last year and doesn’t even take us to the end of the lockdown year.

This must surely be near the top of the world list for lockdowns?
It's a marathon not a sprint remember.........
Said about the vaccination process. How's that looking for Wales now Sarg?

anonymoususer

1,599 posts

12 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
I read that Mark Drakeford has released a message to pupils about the return to school

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/19106602.ma...

I amused myself for a few minutes with this bit
In a video message, Mr Drakeford said: "If you you are under seven many of you will be going back to school tomorrow and this will be the first time you have been in class since before Christmas.
"I am sure you are excited to see your friends and teachers again and they will be excited to see you."

Perhaps all the Welsh boys n girls under 7 will all watch the message and think thanks Uncle Markie

phil_cardiff

5,264 posts

172 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
anonymoususer said:
I read that Mark Drakeford has released a message to pupils about the return to school

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/19106602.ma...

I amused myself for a few minutes with this bit
In a video message, Mr Drakeford said: "If you you are under seven many of you will be going back to school tomorrow and this will be the first time you have been in class since before Christmas.
"I am sure you are excited to see your friends and teachers again and they will be excited to see you."

Perhaps all the Welsh boys n girls under 7 will all watch the message and think thanks Uncle Markie
What's your point? Or is this yet another ad hominem response?

wobert

3,326 posts

186 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
phil_cardiff said:
anonymoususer said:
I read that Mark Drakeford has released a message to pupils about the return to school

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/19106602.ma...

I amused myself for a few minutes with this bit
In a video message, Mr Drakeford said: "If you you are under seven many of you will be going back to school tomorrow and this will be the first time you have been in class since before Christmas.
"I am sure you are excited to see your friends and teachers again and they will be excited to see you."

Perhaps all the Welsh boys n girls under 7 will all watch the message and think thanks Uncle Markie
What's your point? Or is this yet another ad hominem response?
The logic I suppose, is why does MD feel the need that he needs to release a message at all?

Smacks of opportunism where none needs to exist...

Why not just let the children return to school without making a song and dance of it....

phil_cardiff

5,264 posts

172 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
wobert said:
phil_cardiff said:
anonymoususer said:
I read that Mark Drakeford has released a message to pupils about the return to school

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/19106602.ma...

I amused myself for a few minutes with this bit
In a video message, Mr Drakeford said: "If you you are under seven many of you will be going back to school tomorrow and this will be the first time you have been in class since before Christmas.
"I am sure you are excited to see your friends and teachers again and they will be excited to see you."

Perhaps all the Welsh boys n girls under 7 will all watch the message and think thanks Uncle Markie
What's your point? Or is this yet another ad hominem response?
The logic I suppose, is why does MD feel the need that he needs to release a message at all?

Smacks of opportunism where none needs to exist...

Why not just let the children return to school without making a song and dance of it....
If he'd said nothing then someone would accuse him of a lack of visibility. It's an important milestone in the return to normality, it's not unusual for a leader to mark it in my opinion.

Strange aspect to go after Drakeford on I'd say. I'd rather have a go at him for not letting me buy new socks from Tesco. I can see why he took that decision though I wouldn't have.

If I was being balanced I'd have to praise him for the vaccine roll out which has been a much needed good news story in an otherwise dismal period.

anonymoususer

1,599 posts

12 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
phil_cardiff said:
anonymoususer said:
I read that Mark Drakeford has released a message to pupils about the return to school

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/19106602.ma...

I amused myself for a few minutes with this bit
In a video message, Mr Drakeford said: "If you you are under seven many of you will be going back to school tomorrow and this will be the first time you have been in class since before Christmas.
"I am sure you are excited to see your friends and teachers again and they will be excited to see you."

Perhaps all the Welsh boys n girls under 7 will all watch the message and think thanks Uncle Markie
What's your point?Or is this yet another ad hominem response?
its like this I think the chances of kids under 7 sitting and watching a video from a politician is somewhat scarce and its pretentious and patronising for your first minister to release one just as it would be if Uncle Boris or Uncle Matt did one. But your Uncle Markey got in first


wobert

3,326 posts

186 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
phil_cardiff said:
If he'd said nothing then someone would accuse him of a lack of visibility.
Why the need to say anything?

I don’t recall there being a similar message after LD1 nor LD2 (Firebreak...whatever).

So what is special now that demands he give that message.

I suspect he’s trying to show how ‘caring’ he is after having kept the population of Wales in house arrest for the majority of the preceding 12 month period.

Anyone would think there’s an election coming up..... rolleyes.....oh!

phil_cardiff

5,264 posts

172 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
Ah so we're criticising politicians for politicking now? Fair enough, I assume all politicos will be judged equally?

Seems a strange one to complain about but hey ho, the sun is shining, the vaccines are here and I'm feeling pretty positive.

anonymoususer

1,599 posts

12 months

Monday 22nd February
quotequote all
phil_cardiff said:
Ah so we're criticising politicians for politicking now? Fair enough, I assume all politicos will be judged equally?

Seems a strange one to complain about but hey ho, the sun is shining, the vaccines are here and I'm feeling pretty positive.

Evanivitch

8,790 posts

86 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
anonymoususer said:
Perhaps all the Welsh boys n girls under 7 will all watch the message and think thanks Uncle Markie
Welsh Government elections coming up. Still time to drop the voting age yet further.

Matt..

3,211 posts

153 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
It's interesting to look at the stats now it's been a year since the first case in Wales. Here are some random ones:

0.5% of the deaths are below 40. That equates to less than 27 people (~11 male, ~16 female).
The valleys has had 1.75x the death rate of the nearest other health board in Wales (325/100k vs 190/100k for the next nearest).
50% more tests on women.
230 days of lockdown with full travel restrictions (exercise must begin and end at home). This is 63% of the year.

Edited by Matt.. on Sunday 28th February 16:55

Evanivitch

8,790 posts

86 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
Matt.. said:
The valleys has had 1.75x the death rate of the nearest other health board in Wales (325/100k vs 190/100k for the next nearest).
What are you defining as the valleys?

Matt..

3,211 posts

153 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
Evanivitch said:
What are you defining as the valleys?
Cwm Taf Morgannwg health board.

So half the valleys really.

Edited by Matt.. on Sunday 28th February 20:05