CV19 - Cure worse than the disease? (Vol 10)

CV19 - Cure worse than the disease? (Vol 10)

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

Gadgetmac

11,012 posts

72 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
pocty said:
Gadgetmac said:
Bookmarked just so that I can keep up to date with the latest conspiracy social media theories smile
Did you not say that this would be all over by March as well? I booked a trip on your advice.

Pocty
All over by March? Not quite. Although feel free to quote me.

I think I said that there’s no reason restrictions shouldn’t be being removed by the end of March provided everyone who’s vulnerable (over 60’s) has been vaccinated by then. They’ll have to come off in a carefully thought out way but yes, March should be a good start.

The road map is out in a week or so.

ETA: I’ve booked and paid for a week away in England for late May.




Edited by Gadgetmac on Friday 12th February 23:06

Bikesalot

1,473 posts

122 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Alucidnation said:
I was a volunteer driver and transported around 60 people to the vaccination centres who had no means of transport locally, and they were all pleased they were able to get their vaccine and were looking forward to getting things back to normal.

All in all it's been a very positive experience.
You should genuinely be proud of that. I understand it was quite hard for many vulnerable to get to their appointments without the help of others. In my local community there have been a few offering them same service. I’m not sure Betty would want to get leathered up on my motorbike though, maybe back in the day.

Flooble

2,909 posts

64 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Gadgetmac said:
All over by March? Not quite. Although feel free to quote me.

I think I said that there’s no reason restrictions shouldn’t be being removed by the end of March provided everyone who’s vulnerable (over 60’s) has been vaccinated by then. They’ll have to come off in a carefully thought out way but yes, March should be a good start.

The road map is out in a week or so.

ETA: I’ve booked and paid for a week away in England for late May.

Edited by Gadgetmac on Friday 12th February 23:06
Naughty! Mr Shapps told you not to!

pocty

1,029 posts

243 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Gadgetmac said:
pocty said:
Gadgetmac said:
Bookmarked just so that I can keep up to date with the latest conspiracy social media theories smile
Did you not say that this would be all over by March as well? I booked a trip on your advice.

Pocty
All over by March? Not quite. Although feel free to quote me.

I think I said that there’s no reason restrictions shouldn’t be being removed by the end of March provided everyone who’s vulnerable (over 60’s) has been vaccinated by then. They’ll have to come off in a carefully thought out way but yes, March should be a good start.

The road map is out in a week or so.

ETA: I’ve booked and paid for a week away in England for late May.


Edited by Gadgetmac on Friday 12th February 23:06
Great let me know where your going in May and I'll avoid it like Corona smile

But yes I'm basically agreeing with you I also think in March we will see a change.

Pocty

ruggedscotty

3,210 posts

173 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Yup March is looking good isnt it...

Id say the restrictions will be looking at being lifted by mid march.

Mid March 2022.... that is

Bikesalot

1,473 posts

122 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Indoraptor said:
A fk tonne of people were infected by the virus but were asymptomatic, they didn’t get it, ( COVID-19), were never tested, because they had no symptoms, but they did pass it on, the folk at the end of the chain got it, and died, in their thousands. That’s how this thing works.


Edited by Indoraptor on Friday 12th February 22:37
Well yes. But a lot of people also contracted the virus in hospital and care homes through no fault of their own. Yes I agree covid-19 is a thing, it’s bad but the restrictions and certainly the length of them are not in line with the ‘deadlines’ of it.

Gadgetmac

11,012 posts

72 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Flooble said:
Gadgetmac said:
All over by March? Not quite. Although feel free to quote me.

I think I said that there’s no reason restrictions shouldn’t be being removed by the end of March provided everyone who’s vulnerable (over 60’s) has been vaccinated by then. They’ll have to come off in a carefully thought out way but yes, March should be a good start.

The road map is out in a week or so.

ETA: I’ve booked and paid for a week away in England for late May.
Naughty! Mr Shapps told you not to!
I only listen to Klaus Schwab now wink

Ntv

2,177 posts

87 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Gadgetmac said:
pocty said:
Gadgetmac said:
Bookmarked just so that I can keep up to date with the latest conspiracy social media theories smile
Did you not say that this would be all over by March as well? I booked a trip on your advice.

Pocty
All over by March? Not quite. Although feel free to quote me.

I think I said that there’s no reason restrictions shouldn’t be being removed by the end of March provided everyone who’s vulnerable (over 60’s) has been vaccinated by then. They’ll have to come off in a carefully thought out way but yes, March should be a good start.

The road map is out in a week or so.

ETA: I’ve booked and paid for a week away in England for late May.




Edited by Gadgetmac on Friday 12th February 23:06
Nope, you're changed what you believe. You didn't have March as a good start before. You said the restrictions should be removed once the vulnerable are vaccinated.



Gadgetmac

11,012 posts

72 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Ntv said:
Gadgetmac said:
pocty said:
Gadgetmac said:
Bookmarked just so that I can keep up to date with the latest conspiracy social media theories smile
Did you not say that this would be all over by March as well? I booked a trip on your advice.

Pocty
All over by March? Not quite. Although feel free to quote me.

I think I said that there’s no reason restrictions shouldn’t be being removed by the end of March provided everyone who’s vulnerable (over 60’s) has been vaccinated by then. They’ll have to come off in a carefully thought out way but yes, March should be a good start.

The road map is out in a week or so.

ETA: I’ve booked and paid for a week away in England for late May.




Edited by Gadgetmac on Friday 12th February 23:06
Nope, you're changed what you believe. You didn't have March as a good start before. You said the restrictions should be removed once the vulnerable are vaccinated.
Best tell Pocty, he said that I said March.

I vaguely remember that but again, feel free to quote me otherwise. I certainly said once all of the vulnerable were vaccinated and likely thought that to be March.

The Spruce Goose

27,704 posts

159 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Bikesalot said:
Well yes. But a lot of people also contracted the virus in hospital and care homes through no fault of their own. Yes I agree covid-19 is a thing, it’s bad but the restrictions and certainly the length of them are not in line with the ‘deadlines’ of it.
There was a good statistics from german for carehomes, basically similar age group to UK etc. They found that that quality of care for older patients does not vary widely among countries, but the success of containment among high-risk populations does.

One of the simple things was all patients returning from hospital had to have a negative cv19 test. Something that clearly didnt happen here.
Back in June last year UK care home people had a 13 times greater chance of dying over a comparable European care home.

It is bitter pill when you have all the tory supporters saying what a good job the gov has done of the vaccine rollout, which is true, but lets be honest, all this was done to change the record from the very piss poor effort to stop people dying the last year.

if the UK had faired better we probably would have more confidence in opening up and getting back on with life.

Edited by The Spruce Goose on Friday 12th February 23:31

johnboy1975

2,949 posts

72 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
b0rk said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

https://associationofanaesthetists-publications.on...

Discuss.
I read it, I didnt see any modelled figures on deaths?

report said:
The model shows vaccination will have a much slower impact on hospital and ICU admissions than on deaths.....

Our model suggests substantial reductions in hospital and ICU admissions will not occur until late March and into April 2021.
How so? Reduction in hospital admissions should show quicker? (Admittedly a smaller %age). But we don't need zero covid, we need the pressure off the NHS. Currently at 78% occupancy, I'd imagine reducing covid admissions by 60% would have the desired effect?

Deaths are showing a reduction in the over 80s (30%) vs the under 80s (6%). Presumably there is a similar effect in hospitalisations, but I've not seen any data to confirm

They didn't seem to have modelled additional hospitalisations from lower age groups? Which is the only way things could get hairy again, as far as I can see

RSTurboPaul

5,301 posts

222 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Harrison Bergeron said:
Jesusbuiltmycar said:
Wow does Guru Murthy come across as a right there and he’s got fk all to say when Sir Walker talks about how many people die every year. Truth hurts eh Krishnan?
I saw that on YouTube.

I especially liked the entirely predictable way that Murthy played the 'what would you say to Grant Shapps' guilt-trip card, referring to his father? grandfather? (can't remember) who was/is in hospital with Covid.

I don't think Murthy expected Walker to announce his father died at 46.


Oops.

ucb

621 posts

176 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Our hospital admissions have fallen quite markedly over the past 3 weeks (done to 10 or so a day from 30+) and our total number of COVID patients on ITU have halved although I can’t tell you whether that’s through survival or death.

soofsayer

2,136 posts

99 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
Bikesalot said:
Alucidnation said:
I was a volunteer driver and transported around 60 people to the vaccination centres who had no means of transport locally, and they were all pleased they were able to get their vaccine and were looking forward to getting things back to normal.

All in all it's been a very positive experience.
You should genuinely be proud of that. I understand it was quite hard for many vulnerable to get to their appointments without the help of others. In my local community there have been a few offering them same service.
+1

RSTurboPaul

5,301 posts

222 months

Friday 12th February
quotequote all
grumbledoak said:
Where we are headed -

JapanTimes said:
BEIJING – To enter many offices, restaurants, parks or malls in China nowadays, people must show their status on an app that determines whether they are a coronavirus threat.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/13/asia-...

But we will be happy.
Can't prove you're 'innocent'? Have a nice couple of weeks locked in your home or a quarantine facility if you refuse to comply.


I honestly do not understand how people think such a 'passport' is appropriate or acceptable for a virus with such a low rate of serious illness and death.

Ebola? Fair enough.

SARS-CoV-2? Grossly disproportionate.

320d is all you need

1,757 posts

7 months

Saturday 13th February
quotequote all
ucb said:
Our hospital admissions have fallen quite markedly over the past 3 weeks (done to 10 or so a day from 30+) and our total number of COVID patients on ITU have halved although I can’t tell you whether that’s through survival or death.
99.6% of them survived smile

TVR1

5,370 posts

189 months

Saturday 13th February
quotequote all
Harrison Bergeron said:
Wow does Guru Murthy come across as a right there and he’s got fk all to say when Sir Walker talks about how many people die every year. Truth hurts eh Krishnan?
He came in to see me about buying a car once.

Odious man.






isaldiri

11,568 posts

132 months

Saturday 13th February
quotequote all
b0rk said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

https://associationofanaesthetists-publications.on...

Discuss.
Broadly in line with prior discussion in the earlier volumes. Windycommon had correctly pointed out vaccination of over 80s wouldn't necessarily resolve the healthcare issue but ant1973 and I had then pointed to when the over 60s are sorted the mess is over.

It seems a single dose is sufficient or at least sufficient enough so completion of that group should be sooner than expected. 3 weeks post over60s are sorted to give sufficient time for immunity will be before the end of March. Cases have fallen to such a degree vaccination in itself isn't necessary to reduce it so while the full impact isn't obvious until end of march/April the pressure on healthcare from lower infections is already relieved long before and the vaccinations stop the problem from reoccurring.

Edited by isaldiri on Saturday 13th February 00:07

funkyrobot

18,789 posts

192 months

Saturday 13th February
quotequote all
Alucidnation said:
I was a volunteer driver and transported around 60 people to the vaccination centres who had no means of transport locally, and they were all pleased they were able to get their vaccine and were looking forward to getting things back to normal.

All in all it's been a very positive experience.
I wonder how many are having the vaccine to get back normal compared to those having it to protect them from Covid.

2gins

2,290 posts

126 months

Saturday 13th February
quotequote all
320d is all you need said:
Plenty of mentalists who enjoy this.

Finally they get to make everyone else miserable.

Me? I tend to only check on this thread a couple of times a week instead of a couple of times an hour.

Yelling at the Internet won't change anything. Nothing any of us do here will change anything. Until BoJo says, we are stuck.

I will say this though.

If by say end of March there are no significant returns to normal, I don't care what anyone else says, there is a conspiracy to make this drag on.
Hear that. I've hardly been on since they created tier 4. Barely check in now. It's always the same.

Now, near as dammit, we've jabbed all the most vulnerable with a highly effective vaccine. That'll keep going at half million a day until we're into spring and focus on second doses. We've shut the borders to random travellers and decimated any chance of anyone leaving the country for a jolly. Either hospitalisations, ICU occupancy and death is about to go over a cliff. Or if it doesn't, it's hard to see what else can be done. And what's the point of the hugely successful vaccine campaign if we're still required to live with restrictions. I just don't get it.

On the jab especially, its all downside risk and no upside benefit for the fit and well under 50s. Why would you have it?

I'd be happier if it were at least being discussed openly.
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED