Scottish Referendum / Independence - Vol 11

Scottish Referendum / Independence - Vol 11

Author
Discussion

Evercross

4,043 posts

41 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
NoddyonNitrous said:
And that's over £24,000. can we apply the same to £600,000?
Nauseating. Freeman thinks she can absolve herself for the responsibility of hundreds of premature deaths by sacrificing her former friend for the sake of an amount of money equivalent to the sum she claimed in lieu of working days that didn't exist.

Tory corruption and backbiting has nothing on the SNP. Freeman preaching morals is like Jimmy Saville counselling victims of child abuse.

Shambler

1,047 posts

121 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Heard a rumour by someone in the industry regarding the Glen Sannox. Apparently the ramp at the back of the vessel had to be ordered from a Nordic country as it was a specialist part. When the ramp was delivered there was nowhere to store it at Ferguson yard so it was stored at another yard nearby. The storage yard went bust and all items in storage were auctioned off. A while later Ferguson went to collect the ramps only to find them missing. They got in touch with the auctioneers and found out that the ramp had been sold to a local farmer who had cut the ramp in half and was using it to move his cattle over a large ditch. Ferguson then had to buy it back and weld it back together.

irc

3,345 posts

113 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Shambler said:
Heard a rumour by someone in the industry regarding the Glen Sannox. Apparently the ramp at the back of the vessel had to be ordered from a Nordic country as it was a specialist part. When the ramp was delivered there was nowhere to store it at Ferguson yard so it was stored at another yard nearby. The storage yard went bust and all items in storage were auctioned off. A while later Ferguson went to collect the ramps only to find them missing. They got in touch with the auctioneers and found out that the ramp had been sold to a local farmer who had cut the ramp in half and was using it to move his cattle over a large ditch. Ferguson then had to buy it back and weld it back together.
I would love to believe it but find it incredible. A farmer would not have the means to transport or cut anything as big as a ramp on the Glen Sannox scale. Probably worth more as scrap than it was to a farmer.

StescoG66

1,654 posts

120 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Funny as fk if true though :ROFL:

dxg

6,622 posts

237 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
irc said:
Shambler said:
Heard a rumour by someone in the industry regarding the Glen Sannox. Apparently the ramp at the back of the vessel had to be ordered from a Nordic country as it was a specialist part. When the ramp was delivered there was nowhere to store it at Ferguson yard so it was stored at another yard nearby. The storage yard went bust and all items in storage were auctioned off. A while later Ferguson went to collect the ramps only to find them missing. They got in touch with the auctioneers and found out that the ramp had been sold to a local farmer who had cut the ramp in half and was using it to move his cattle over a large ditch. Ferguson then had to buy it back and weld it back together.
I would love to believe it but find it incredible. A farmer would not have the means to transport or cut anything as big as a ramp on the Glen Sannox scale. Probably worth more as scrap than it was to a farmer.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and wiliness of a farmer chasing a good deal.

Ian974

2,598 posts

176 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I remember when it used to be a thing of pride that holyrood wasn't a jeering, slanging match like it is down the road. Seems it's now degenerated to a similar level where the best response to anything is to insult whoever is asking the question.

sherman

10,202 posts

192 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
irc said:
I would love to believe it but find it incredible. A farmer would not have the means to transport or cut anything as big as a ramp on the Glen Sannox scale. Probably worth more as scrap than it was to a farmer.
Have you seen the size of some tractor and trailers recently?
Oxyacetylene will cut through any thickness of metal with enough time.

dxg

6,622 posts

237 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
On a more serious point.

Google the Trellick Tower - you'll recognise it. A brutalist tower built in Notting Hill to clear the slums.

The residents hated it so much that the told themselves that the architect (Goldfinger - yes really) was so ashamed of his work that he climbed to the top and jumped off. They developed that urban myth to make themselves feel better about the loss of their, albeit slum-based, community.


And now we see myths emerging around the ferries to make people feel better about the clusterfk.

Roderick Spode

1,846 posts

26 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all

Steerpike said:
Oh dear. It seems that the sainted Sturgeon has slipped up again. Much as Jesus was betrayed by his disciple, so too has the Blessed Nicola been let down by one of her own. In this case, it's Fergus Ewing – scion of the First Family of Scottish nationalism. The former rural economy secretary stands accused of bullying civil servants: allegations which Sturgeon government's has now been forced to investigate. That probe is believed to have concluded but (quelle surprise) the First Minister is refusing to disclose the outcome of the inquiry, citing 'data protection laws' as the reason why she is unable to discuss the case.

What a convenient excuse for Sturgeon. It is, however, not a terribly plausible one. Cast your minds back 18 months to September 2020 when the Home Secretary Priti Patel was accused of bullying civil servants in Westminster. Back then, the SNP were demanding that the probe into Patel's behaviour was published, firing off press releases titled 'SNP ramp up pressure for Patel bullying report to be published.' The party demanded that the UK government publish the documents as 'a step towards clamping down on a "wider pattern" of behaviour' with the SNP's Shadow Home Secretary insisting 'the report must be available to public if the UK government is to retain a shred of credibility over this.'

So, what changed in 18 months? How has the SNP gone from demanding the release of bullying probes to insisting that data protection rules be scrupulously followed? Steerpike hasn't forgotten too that it was in that same year – 2020 – that the FDA union, which represents high-ranking UK civil servants, reported it had received 'more complaints about bullying' by Scottish government ministers than across all other UK ministerial departments combined. According to Dave Penman, the union's general secretary, there had been 30 ministerial bullying complaints by workers in five Scottish departments over the past decade.

This compares with only 'a handful of issues' raised within other UK and devolved government departments across the FDA’s membership over the same period – a disparity that Penman described as 'quite extraordinary.' Let's remember too the kind of culture presided over by the SNP throughout its 15 years in power which was so repeatedly exposed throughout the shenanigans of the Salmond Inquiry.

Something for hacks to reflect on, perhaps, the next time they receive yet another SNP press release demanding Tory scalps.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/yet-more-snp-b...

irc

3,345 posts

113 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Ian974 said:
I remember when it used to be a thing of pride that holyrood wasn't a jeering, slanging match like it is down the road. Seems it's now degenerated to a similar level where the best response to anything is to insult whoever is asking the question.
That happened long ago. Disagree with the Nats and it wasn't that you had a valid but different opinion it was beause you were evil or stupid.



thewarlock

2,703 posts

22 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Shambler said:
Heard a rumour by someone in the industry regarding the Glen Sannox. Apparently the ramp at the back of the vessel had to be ordered from a Nordic country as it was a specialist part. When the ramp was delivered there was nowhere to store it at Ferguson yard so it was stored at another yard nearby. The storage yard went bust and all items in storage were auctioned off. A while later Ferguson went to collect the ramps only to find them missing. They got in touch with the auctioneers and found out that the ramp had been sold to a local farmer who had cut the ramp in half and was using it to move his cattle over a large ditch. Ferguson then had to buy it back and weld it back together.
I know a few people that work there at various levels. I'm gonna have to ask about this, as if it's true, it's hilarious.

Roderick Spode

1,846 posts

26 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
irc said:
Ian974 said:
I remember when it used to be a thing of pride that holyrood wasn't a jeering, slanging match like it is down the road. Seems it's now degenerated to a similar level where the best response to anything is to insult whoever is asking the question.
That happened long ago. Disagree with the Nats and it wasn't that you had a valid but different opinion it was beause you were evil or stupid.
Don't forget that the Chief Mammy operates on a higher intellectual plain than the vast majority of MSPs and the wider population, so it's no surprise when people get their wires crossed. It's not that she has done anything wrong, it's simply that her questioners haven't understood her actions. Silly people. If only everyone else was half as gifted as her, Scotland would be an amazing place, full of erudite, lucid, intelligent, funny, competent people.

irc

3,345 posts

113 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Refugees in Scotland a month allowed to vote in elections. Can I go on holiday somewhere and vote for their government?

https://twitter.com/themajorityscot/status/1524905...


vikingaero

6,721 posts

146 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
thewarlock said:
Shambler said:
Heard a rumour by someone in the industry regarding the Glen Sannox. Apparently the ramp at the back of the vessel had to be ordered from a Nordic country as it was a specialist part. When the ramp was delivered there was nowhere to store it at Ferguson yard so it was stored at another yard nearby. The storage yard went bust and all items in storage were auctioned off. A while later Ferguson went to collect the ramps only to find them missing. They got in touch with the auctioneers and found out that the ramp had been sold to a local farmer who had cut the ramp in half and was using it to move his cattle over a large ditch. Ferguson then had to buy it back and weld it back together.
I know a few people that work there at various levels. I'm gonna have to ask about this, as if it's true, it's hilarious.
The twist in the tale will be that the Farmer in question is the Scottish Transport Ministers brother....

thewarlock

2,703 posts

22 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
vikingaero said:
thewarlock said:
Shambler said:
Heard a rumour by someone in the industry regarding the Glen Sannox. Apparently the ramp at the back of the vessel had to be ordered from a Nordic country as it was a specialist part. When the ramp was delivered there was nowhere to store it at Ferguson yard so it was stored at another yard nearby. The storage yard went bust and all items in storage were auctioned off. A while later Ferguson went to collect the ramps only to find them missing. They got in touch with the auctioneers and found out that the ramp had been sold to a local farmer who had cut the ramp in half and was using it to move his cattle over a large ditch. Ferguson then had to buy it back and weld it back together.
I know a few people that work there at various levels. I'm gonna have to ask about this, as if it's true, it's hilarious.
The twist in the tale will be that the Farmer in question is the Scottish Transport Ministers brother....
I'm told it's nonsense. The ramp was delivered to the yard years ago, and fitted years ago, in one piece.

Pablo16v

1,592 posts

174 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Sorry if this has been posted already (couldn't see anything in the last few pages) but this is another "never ending car crash" of a saga....

http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2022/05/10/the-cai...

SNP/HIE lies, delays, wasted money, culture of secrecy and those responsible being promoted for failure. Who'd have thunk it.

malks222

1,583 posts

116 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Pablo16v said:
Sorry if this has been posted already (couldn't see anything in the last few pages) but this is another "never ending car crash" of a saga....

http://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2022/05/10/the-cai...

SNP/HIE lies, delays, wasted money, culture of secrecy and those responsible being promoted for failure. Who'd have thunk it.
I’ve been aware/ following the shambles at cairngorm for a while on the skiing forums.

They have a lot of problems to deal with- fix the train (cost a lot of money) or remove the train (cost a lot of money)

but the problem with fixing the train is- it then still costs a lot of money to run (cairngorm has been losing money for years) and even when fixed, the train only has a serviceable life time, and might need more expensive repairs in the future…..

if you don’t fix the train, then you are effectively writing off the building at the top and giving up on the ski area…..

there’s also crazy laws/ rule regarding the area/ ground at the top- in winter (because snow is on the ground protecting the ground/flowers/ fauna) you can take the train to the top, and leave the building, walk around, go skiing, play in the snow……. in the summer, you are not allowed out with the building in case you damage the ground/ flowers/ fauna……. but if you the set off on foot from the bottom and walk to the top, they can’t stop you walking about outside the top building?!?!

so these rules mean in summer people (walkers/ cyclists etc..) are not allowed to buy tickets to use the train to get to the top then start a trip/ walk/ adventure from there. crazy!

TheJimi

21,949 posts

220 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
irc said:
Refugees in Scotland a month allowed to vote in elections. Can I go on holiday somewhere and vote for their government?

https://twitter.com/themajorityscot/status/1524905...
How the hell is that right?

Roderick Spode

1,846 posts

26 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
thewarlock said:
vikingaero said:
thewarlock said:
Shambler said:
Heard a rumour by someone in the industry regarding the Glen Sannox. Apparently the ramp at the back of the vessel had to be ordered from a Nordic country as it was a specialist part. When the ramp was delivered there was nowhere to store it at Ferguson yard so it was stored at another yard nearby. The storage yard went bust and all items in storage were auctioned off. A while later Ferguson went to collect the ramps only to find them missing. They got in touch with the auctioneers and found out that the ramp had been sold to a local farmer who had cut the ramp in half and was using it to move his cattle over a large ditch. Ferguson then had to buy it back and weld it back together.
I know a few people that work there at various levels. I'm gonna have to ask about this, as if it's true, it's hilarious.
The twist in the tale will be that the Farmer in question is the Scottish Transport Ministers brother....
I'm told it's nonsense. The ramp was delivered to the yard years ago, and fitted years ago, in one piece.
Shame. It's a good story, and given the ongoing shambles that is Ferguson Marine, entirely believable.

Ian974

2,598 posts

176 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
malks222 said:
there’s also crazy laws/ rule regarding the area/ ground at the top- in winter (because snow is on the ground protecting the ground/flowers/ fauna) you can take the train to the top, and leave the building, walk around, go skiing, play in the snow……. in the summer, you are not allowed out with the building in case you damage the ground/ flowers/ fauna……. but if you the set off on foot from the bottom and walk to the top, they can’t stop you walking about outside the top building?!?!

so these rules mean in summer people (walkers/ cyclists etc..) are not allowed to buy tickets to use the train to get to the top then start a trip/ walk/ adventure from there. crazy!
I knew the funicular was a shambles, but I'd never heard of that before!
If there's no snow it's effectively a railway where you aren't allowed out of the end station, but if you're walking outside the station anyway it's fine? And they still think they can make money from this?
I thought some of the covid rules were ridiculous, at least it explains where they got some of their inspiration from laugh