Intelligent Money - your investment questions answered

Intelligent Money - your investment questions answered

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

JulianPH

9,079 posts

78 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Burwood said:
here is what a fund manager did with it's Norwegian holding in 2020. It sold somewhere in Q4 $17-$21 range and issued a release which read. Any proof that some Fund Managers are a bunch of idiots. And before anyone says hindsight. Well it was pretty obvious the industry was going to correct to the good. They dumped it just as the vaccine was announced. Edited-on checking SEC filings they booked a (71%) 'loss' which assumes their avg cost was around $60.




Edited by Burwood on Wednesday 3rd March 18:16
As I don't know which fund manager it was I can safely say (s)he or they have no idea whatsoever.

That was a terrible decision that pretty much anyone could have spotted. Hindsight is great, but useless. Looking at the obvious is far more important.




Ron-ski

175 posts

22 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
duckson said:
We are sat on a 100% or just over return based on a 6th July purchase date. Obviously doesn’t include the £/$ effect which likely means it’s not quite at that % in reality....anyone got an approx % we are at with it based on 6th July?
Once you convert to sterling it's sitting at 95.03% up as of tonight from the close price of £12.18 on the 7/7/20

Edited to add, for comparison in $ it's 116.96% up smile

Mr Whippy

23,596 posts

205 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
pingu393 said:
Mr Whippy said:
pingu393 said:
Simpo Two said:
pingu393 said:
It takes <24 hours to go from Cash to PHR.

You can pick your day, but not your minute. Worse case scenario, you will be buying at tomorrow's price.
Or two working days if the cash is outside IM.
This is why I invest via IM Cash. I can pick my investment day.
Yes it’s already in IM.

Not too fussed on a few percent here and there, the goal is to get I’m on a broad low which I think is coming... feels like too much good news recently.
If it's in IM Cash, you can use "Manage" to move it to PHR, and it will be there within 24 hours.

If it is in one of IM's funds, it may take a few weeks to move across to "Cash", and then another day to move it to PHR. It's taking around a fortnight to cash-out at the moment - I know this, as I am in the process of swapping funds. I'm swapping via "Cash" as a lot can happen in a fortnight, and although it may seem a good idea to move into PHR on the 1st of the month, it might not look as good come the 14th. If I swapped directly into PHR, the "buy-in" date is out of my control.

I'm gambling on PHR rising between now and May / June. From what I've seen, it tends to bounce along at the same level, jump a level, then bounce along at the new level. It seems to be on the rise to a new level.

I'd be interested to hear why you think PHR will drop enough to delay investment.
I think PHR will rise by May/June too.

As noted I’m looking at broad timed values. If PHR is down 10pc in 4 weeks fine. If it’s up 5pc in 4 weeks then never mind.
I don’t want to believe I can time anything. That seems like a zero sum game.

My funds are coming from IM Defensive. Bonds have apparently taken a hit, but the stock portion hasn’t done its job to protect the value of the investment. I think it’s down 2.5pc in the last few months.
Given I’m roughly 2/3rd defensive that’s 5% of PHR growth eaten up to stand still.

I feel we’ll see a dip in PHR because humans are irrational and emotional.
I see too much positive sentiment right at this moment.

Personally I see more risk in bonds and general stocks/shares than I do in the speculative PHR fund.
Again I could be terrifically wrong. But I’m making the decision with my heart so happiness will ensue. I’ll let IM do the head work.

Edited by Mr Whippy on Wednesday 3rd March 21:39

Burwood

17,027 posts

210 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
JulianPH said:
Burwood said:
here is what a fund manager did with it's Norwegian holding in 2020. It sold somewhere in Q4 $17-$21 range and issued a release which read. Any proof that some Fund Managers are a bunch of idiots. And before anyone says hindsight. Well it was pretty obvious the industry was going to correct to the good. They dumped it just as the vaccine was announced. Edited-on checking SEC filings they booked a (71%) 'loss' which assumes their avg cost was around $60.




Edited by Burwood on Wednesday 3rd March 18:16
As I don't know which fund manager it was I can safely say (s)he or they have no idea whatsoever.

That was a terrible decision that pretty much anyone could have spotted. Hindsight is great, but useless. Looking at the obvious is far more important.
I know but didn’t post to be my usual fair self lol.

It’s obvious what you do given you already held it pre COVID and considered it a good business. You double down or more. It’s a 15b fund. I’ll mail you the details biggrin.

Voxy

1,254 posts

137 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
JulianPH said:
Voxy said:
Hi Julian,

Tried your website to find details of your service for expats but couldn’t find anything specific. Interested to learn more about what you are able to offer.

Thanks,

Voxy
Hi Voxy

We are having anti-money laundering issues with our Custodians for non-UK residents. We are getting this sorted and if you would like to send Nik and email (nik.burrows@intelligentmoney.com) he will keep you updated.

It is difficult when the only outstanding aspect falls outside of our hands, so I am sorry about this.

Cheers

Julian

smile
Hi Julian,

Many thanks for the quick follow-up - hopefully you can work through the money laundering issues soon. Will connect with Nik to keep track of progress.

Cheers,

Voxy

Grandad Gaz

4,819 posts

210 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
What’s going on with PHE?

I thought that once that crackpot Trump was out of the Whitehouse, then things would quickly improve.

Just shows how little I know about markets smile

Phooey

10,695 posts

133 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Regarding PHE - I appreciate like any stock/s it could dip further.. but is there a strong argument for putting money into this whilst it is suffering a bit?

Also is there a list somewhere of all the stocks in PHE?

PorkInsider

4,685 posts

105 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Grandad Gaz said:
What’s going on with PHE?

I thought that once that crackpot Trump was out of the Whitehouse, then things would quickly improve.

Just shows how little I know about markets smile
Impacted by GBP strengthening against USD and tech stocks (in particular) being squeezed at the moment.

Other than that... hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon. hehe



PorkInsider

4,685 posts

105 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Phooey said:
Also is there a list somewhere of all the stocks in PHE?
I believe it's these, unless anything changed:

Domino's Pizza
Nike
Coca Cola
Apple
Starbucks
Amazon
Colgate Palmolive
Unilever
Netflix
Diageo

Burwood

17,027 posts

210 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
PorkInsider said:
Phooey said:
Also is there a list somewhere of all the stocks in PHE?
I believe it's these, unless anything changed:

Domino's Pizza
Nike
Coca Cola
Apple
Starbucks
Amazon
Colgate Palmolive
Unilever
Netflix
Diageo
Domino/Starbucks were replaced about 10 months ago with PG/GSK smile
Phooey-i mailed you a graphic

Edited by Burwood on Thursday 4th March 09:48

Simpo Two

74,922 posts

229 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Grandad Gaz said:
What’s going on with PHE?

I thought that once that crackpot Trump was out of the Whitehouse, then things would quickly improve.
The US markets did rather well while the media's favourite hate figure was at the helm. But they didn't tell you that.

PHE is suffering because the USD is weak because they're printing money. When dealing in foreign currencies it's just another variable you have to be ready for. As for Biden, apart from the odd scripted platitude, I'm not aware he's done much yet.

Phooey

10,695 posts

133 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Burwood said:
Domino/Starbucks were replaced about 10 months ago with PG/GSK smile
Phooey-i mailed you a graphic
Received and printed off - very helpful thanks mate smile

Mr Whippy

23,596 posts

205 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Just a quickie.

I had email confirmation of Defensive to cash pre 9am on 25th Feb (was day before iirc), but the 'graph' of value took a sudden dip between 2nd and 3rd. Is this indicative of the fund being sold down?
I was sure you could see constituent parts of funds being sold down in the past and see the individual element progress? The email suggests I can see progress updates on my dashboard but it just says "in progress"

My email confirmation suggested 3-5 working days, so I assume there are currently delays? Is 5 days a hard limit? Has something gone wrong?

I saw the note about delays if you were to alter funds after a certain date but I got the request in 2 or 3 days before that point.


It'd be useful if the system gave an email update when things have timed out on expectations.

If there are broad delays it'd be useful to know why, and expectations on when money will be available.


Thanks

pingu393

4,436 posts

169 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Mr Whippy said:
I think PHR will rise by May/June too.

As noted I’m looking at broad timed values. If PHR is down 10pc in 4 weeks fine. If it’s up 5pc in 4 weeks then never mind.
I don’t want to believe I can time anything. That seems like a zero sum game.

My funds are coming from IM Defensive. Bonds have apparently taken a hit, but the stock portion hasn’t done its job to protect the value of the investment. I think it’s down 2.5pc in the last few months.
Given I’m roughly 2/3rd defensive that’s 5% of PHR growth eaten up to stand still.

I feel we’ll see a dip in PHR because humans are irrational and emotional.
I see too much positive sentiment right at this moment.

Personally I see more risk in bonds and general stocks/shares than I do in the speculative PHR fund.
Again I could be terrifically wrong. But I’m making the decision with my heart so happiness will ensue. I’ll let IM do the head work.

Edited by Mr Whippy on Wednesday 3rd March 21:39
This is pretty much where I am as well.

PHR in the last fortnight has recovered 2.5 months of losses across everything else. I was 2% down, I'm now 1% up - in just over three weeks.

My portfolio was spread across all the funds. I've taken the very risky decision to put 90% of my eggs in one basket. I'm keeping some in each fund, so that I can see how they perform.

What's the worst that can happen? eek

PorkInsider

4,685 posts

105 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Burwood said:
PorkInsider said:
Phooey said:
Also is there a list somewhere of all the stocks in PHE?
I believe it's these, unless anything changed:

Domino's Pizza
Nike
Coca Cola
Apple
Starbucks
Amazon
Colgate Palmolive
Unilever
Netflix
Diageo
Domino/Starbucks were replaced about 10 months ago with PG/GSK smile
Phooey-i mailed you a graphic

Edited by Burwood on Thursday 4th March 09:48
Thanks. I wondered why I'd got P&G and GSK in my watch list and not Domino's!

pingu393

4,436 posts

169 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Mr Whippy said:
Just a quickie.

I had email confirmation of Defensive to cash pre 9am on 25th Feb (was day before iirc), but the 'graph' of value took a sudden dip between 2nd and 3rd. Is this indicative of the fund being sold down?
I was sure you could see constituent parts of funds being sold down in the past and see the individual element progress? The email suggests I can see progress updates on my dashboard but it just says "in progress"

My email confirmation suggested 3-5 working days, so I assume there are currently delays? Is 5 days a hard limit? Has something gone wrong?

I saw the note about delays if you were to alter funds after a certain date but I got the request in 2 or 3 days before that point.


It'd be useful if the system gave an email update when things have timed out on expectations.

If there are broad delays it'd be useful to know why, and expectations on when money will be available.


Thanks
As a guide, I started a move from IM Defensive to Cash on 18/02. It completed on 01/03.

If yours takes the same time, it should complete on 08/03.

[edit] IM 80 & IM 100 to Cash were started on 25/02. Just hit Cash today (04/03). So some move faster than others.

Edited by pingu393 on Thursday 4th March 11:42

JulianPH

9,079 posts

78 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Ron-ski said:
duckson said:
We are sat on a 100% or just over return based on a 6th July purchase date. Obviously doesn’t include the £/$ effect which likely means it’s not quite at that % in reality....anyone got an approx % we are at with it based on 6th July?
Once you convert to sterling it's sitting at 95.03% up as of tonight from the close price of £12.18 on the 7/7/20

Edited to add, for comparison in $ it's 116.96% up smile
Yes, sorry to have only delivered a 95% Sterling return over the last 8 months on this one! biggrin


Mr Whippy

23,596 posts

205 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
pingu393 said:
Mr Whippy said:
Just a quickie.

I had email confirmation of Defensive to cash pre 9am on 25th Feb (was day before iirc), but the 'graph' of value took a sudden dip between 2nd and 3rd. Is this indicative of the fund being sold down?
I was sure you could see constituent parts of funds being sold down in the past and see the individual element progress? The email suggests I can see progress updates on my dashboard but it just says "in progress"

My email confirmation suggested 3-5 working days, so I assume there are currently delays? Is 5 days a hard limit? Has something gone wrong?

I saw the note about delays if you were to alter funds after a certain date but I got the request in 2 or 3 days before that point.


It'd be useful if the system gave an email update when things have timed out on expectations.

If there are broad delays it'd be useful to know why, and expectations on when money will be available.


Thanks
As a guide, I started a move from IM Defensive to Cash on 18/02. It completed on 01/03.

If yours takes the same time, it should complete on 08/03.
Hmm that's not ideal. These delays should be advised as a general note to holders of the funds, or the emails incorporate the latest completion times to set expectations.

JulianPH

9,079 posts

78 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Voxy said:
Hi Julian,

Many thanks for the quick follow-up - hopefully you can work through the money laundering issues soon. Will connect with Nik to keep track of progress.

Cheers,

Voxy
Hi Voxy

No Problem, just give us a shout with anything.

Cheers

Julian

smile


2Btoo

2,110 posts

167 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Burwood said:
PorkInsider said:
Phooey said:
Also is there a list somewhere of all the stocks in PHE?
I believe it's these, unless anything changed:

Domino's Pizza
Nike
Coca Cola
Apple
Starbucks
Amazon
Colgate Palmolive
Unilever
Netflix
Diageo
Domino/Starbucks were replaced about 10 months ago with PG/GSK smile
Phooey-i mailed you a graphic
PHE is quite disappointing at the moment. I have a goodly amount of my investment tucked up in it and it's not been good to watch it sink lower and lower - it's down nearly 9% in the last 6 months. By contrast Fundsmith is up about a little over 4% in the same timeframe and I understand that the stocks held in the two are quite similar. I'll buy the argument that Fundsmith figures dropped further early last year and therefore climbed more as we came out of the dip but the performance since then still seems to be stronger by comparison.

I'm genuinely confused about what's going on. I don't want to get out of PHE because I want to believe that it's a good'un for the long term but it's costing me quite a lot at the moment.

(I acknowledge that I talk about Fundsmith a lot on here and don't want to upset the IM chaps by doing so. I came over to IM from a large holding in Fundsmith as I thought they held better promise, hence the repeated comparisons.)
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED