Enjoying Retirement

Enjoying Retirement

Author
Discussion

Phil.

3,734 posts

227 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Retirement is bloody brilliant especially as the weather improves smile

This week I joined a new gym on Monday. Tuesday I did some paid online consultancy that I enjoy. Wednesday was the first visit to the gym with a PT to work out a program. Followed by a swim and sauna. Thursday was a trip to Shropshire to walk 10 miles up/down 2,000 ft (I’m training for the Yorkshire 3 peaks in June). Chose Thursday cos’ the weather was good. Friday, more paid consultancy. Today tidied the garden, a nice walk in the sunshine and a BBQ this evening. Tomorrow, haven’t decided yet. A few DIY jobs to do but not if the weather is nice again. Definitely won’t have the Sunday feeling tomorrow evening. Total cost of activities this week, a few quid for fuel and the gym (£50 per month which I can reduce if I go off peak which is the only time I will use it).

radovich

101 posts

74 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Same with much else besides when you're retired - you don't always have to throw money at whatever you want, you can throw time at it instead
[/quote]

^^This one and a few subsequent similar comments. There’s also the ‘work not ruining your Sunday’ aspect plus, as somebody raised ages ago, you don’t so much begrudge doing stuff at home when it’s not taking up some of your precious 48/36/24 hour weekend.

I need to get there..!

98elise

21,836 posts

138 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Phil. said:
Retirement is bloody brilliant especially as the weather improves smile

This week I joined a new gym on Monday. Tuesday I did some paid online consultancy that I enjoy. Wednesday was the first visit to the gym with a PT to work out a program. Followed by a swim and sauna. Thursday was a trip to Shropshire to walk 10 miles up/down 2,000 ft (I’m training for the Yorkshire 3 peaks in June). Chose Thursday cos’ the weather was good. Friday, more paid consultancy. Today tidied the garden, a nice walk in the sunshine and a BBQ this evening. Tomorrow, haven’t decided yet. A few DIY jobs to do but not if the weather is nice again. Definitely won’t have the Sunday feeling tomorrow evening. Total cost of activities this week, a few quid for fuel and the gym (£50 per month which I can reduce if I go off peak which is the only time I will use it).
The weather thing wasn't something I'd considered before retirement. When you're working (in an office) any sunny weekday is wasted. When you're retired you can make the most of it. I feel like I've had a full summer of sunny days already this year.

Jaguar steve

8,311 posts

187 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
98elise said:
The weather thing wasn't something I'd considered before retirement. When you're working (in an office) any sunny weekday is wasted. When you're retired you can make the most of it. I feel like I've had a full summer of sunny days already this year.
Weather really is a consideration in the winter though.

Pretty much all my interests and pastimes involve outdoors in one way or another, which is fine most of the year and I fill my boots but when it's endlessly pissing down with rain and dark at four in the afternoon and I'm stuck indoors with nothing apart from Bargain Brits In The bloody Sun or endless Minder repeats on tv I do sometimes tend to wonder if I ought to get some agency or voluntary work to put some purpose into the day.

Phil.

3,734 posts

227 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Jaguar steve said:
Weather really is a consideration in the winter though.

Pretty much all my interests and pastimes involve outdoors in one way or another, which is fine most of the year and I fill my boots but when it's endlessly pissing down with rain and dark at four in the afternoon and I'm stuck indoors with nothing apart from Bargain Brits In The bloody Sun or endless Minder repeats on tv I do sometimes tend to wonder if I ought to get some agency or voluntary work to put some purpose into the day.
Agreed. I tend to organise my consultancy work for poor weather days. In winter I either head off for a few weeks somewhere sunny (we have a place in Spain) or focus on indoor hobbies/DIY. But the dark cold wet days can be a bit long sometimes.

OldSkoolRS

4,295 posts

156 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
My plan regarding weather and my activities is to do the garden, car cleaning, etc jobs outside and go for walks, etc on the sunny, warmer days. If it rains then I'll be either in the garage working on my restoration project, or if I've had enough of that, then inside practicing for the band or maybe recording stuff that I didn't have the time to do before.

For now I've got plenty of smaller indoor projects that I've been putting off/never quite finished off, so they will keep me going for quite a while yet. It remains to be seen what happens if/when I get to the end of that list. Some of those projects relate to my home cinema/projector set up, so at least on the long dark nights I'll be able to make the most of that.

Sometimes there are bright sunny days in winter, so at least I'll be free to make the most of them at the drop of a hat, rather than seeing nice weather during the week, only to see it rain all weekend.

Jaguar steve

8,311 posts

187 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Phil. said:
Agreed. I tend to organise my consultancy work for poor weather days. In winter I either head off for a few weeks somewhere sunny (we have a place in Spain) or focus on indoor hobbies/DIY. But the dark cold wet days can be a bit long sometimes.
Pre Covid we'd have two or three weeks in the Canaries autumn and spring and that shortens the UK winter nicely.

Last summer and just as the world was edging back towards some sort of normal the MiL was diagnosed with a terminal illness and leaving her to go on holiday was not even up for consideration.

Been a long time now but we're back out there this autumn.

sociopath

2,273 posts

43 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Yesterday morning I went to a kit car meet up

Last night I played a gig in a pub.

This morning I fixed my MiLs sewing machine as I'm making a tonneau for my cobra - which so far has filled the last week (measure 14 times, cut once)

Next week will be more of the same, plus a little cycling if the weather turns out as promised.

Retirement is ace, and unlike my wife I don't feel the need to fill the days with part time work of various types - I don't need the money and I always hated work - she loves it though, as she's gone from being a research engineer at the Blue oval to a fitness instructor

Phil.

3,734 posts

227 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Jaguar steve said:
Pre Covid we'd have two or three weeks in the Canaries autumn and spring and that shortens the UK winter nicely.

Last summer and just as the world was edging back towards some sort of normal the MiL was diagnosed with a terminal illness and leaving her to go on holiday was not even up for consideration.

Been a long time now but we're back out there this autumn.
Similar here. Had to return early from Spain in March because my elderly mother went in to hospital with a serious condition. She’s still in hospital and recovered medically but her mobility has disappeared. We’re still working out next steps in terms of care etc. meaning a holiday is out of the question for the next couple of months. Hopefully we’ll be back to some sort of normality by the summer.

Hope you manage to find warmer weather this autumn/winter thumbup

skeeterm5

2,438 posts

165 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Now the weather is warming I find myself spending a lot of time outside.

For example today I;

- traced the water pipes from the spring on the hill to the lower field to sort out a small leak, it wasn’t causing me a problem but I hated to think of the wasted water

- decided to mow some paths through the rapidly growing fields

- took down a bit of metal which blocked the view if you sit in the yard area on a chair, it was just at eye height

- pulled some trees stumps out with the winch on my truck which was brilliant fun

Tomorrow might be more of the same or I might have a day off, will see how we feel in the morning.

Is it Monday tomorrow? I have no idea and that is just one of the best feelings ever.


GT3Manthey

Original Poster:

2,135 posts

26 months

skeeterm5 said:
Now

Is it Monday tomorrow? I have no idea and that is just one of the best feelings ever.
This is exactly what it’s about for me.

I will make a point of playing golf, if anything, on a Monday just to remind me just how awful it was getting on that train at the start of the week !

monkfish1

9,658 posts

201 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Jaguar steve said:
98elise said:
The weather thing wasn't something I'd considered before retirement. When you're working (in an office) any sunny weekday is wasted. When you're retired you can make the most of it. I feel like I've had a full summer of sunny days already this year.
Weather really is a consideration in the winter though.

Pretty much all my interests and pastimes involve outdoors in one way or another, which is fine most of the year and I fill my boots but when it's endlessly pissing down with rain and dark at four in the afternoon and I'm stuck indoors with nothing apart from Bargain Brits In The bloody Sun or endless Minder repeats on tv I do sometimes tend to wonder if I ought to get some agency or voluntary work to put some purpose into the day.
Do you not have any indoor type hobbies?

If i retired today, ive so much lined up both inside and outside, i doubt i would get through it all before my life ends. and i keep adding to it!

I dont watch TV. Soul destroying waste of time.

GT3Manthey

Original Poster:

2,135 posts

26 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
monkfish1 said:
Do you not have any indoor type hobbies?

If i retired today, ive so much lined up both inside and outside, i doubt i would get through it all before my life ends. and i keep adding to it!
I had wondered how I’d fill my time during the winter months but , maybe I’d buzz off to Spain for a month on a cheap trip , learn to cook, use the winter months for indoor decorating etc .
Maybe with a mate spend some time working on a car .

Think that’ll be enough to keep me ticking over

superlightr

11,965 posts

240 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
GT3Manthey said:
monkfish1 said:
Do you not have any indoor type hobbies?

If i retired today, ive so much lined up both inside and outside, i doubt i would get through it all before my life ends. and i keep adding to it!
I had wondered how I’d fill my time during the winter months but , maybe I’d buzz off to Spain for a month on a cheap trip , learn to cook, use the winter months for indoor decorating etc .
Maybe with a mate spend some time working on a car .

Think that’ll be enough to keep me ticking over
or meet up other PH retirees for a curry ! wink

Ill give a shout when Im retired and the curry is on me.

OldSkoolRS

4,295 posts

156 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Well I'll worry about the bad weather later, but my first day of retirement has been gloriously sunny here: Got on clearing my garage, sorting out my tools, then as it warmed up I moved outside more and did some other jobs on the cars outdoors. Have barely stopped all day, apart from sitting in the garden for coffee/lunch with my wife while she got on doing a few things of her own.

I'm waiting for a Haynes manual to arrive, then I can get my son's car on the drive and replace a timing belt, hopefully tomorrow. Our own car is now washed and polished, ready to go round a few garages to see what we might replace it with.

Next week we're having a few days in Spain, then the following week a min break in Sussex I booked before I knew about the Spain trip (my wife is selling a property there and it's paperwork she needs to do in person).

I don't think I've even scratched the surface of the various things I want to do yet, though at the moment it's more about getting some long overdue jobs done. I find that really cathartic, even if they are small jobs, because they've been niggling for so long. At the moment I'm ahead of those jobs as I managed to get on with a few last week during the wind down to leave, so hopefully more time to go out and enjoy the weather with a few local trips/walks that we've not been on for a while due to various bereavement related factors.

Best news today was that my Dad's Will has finally been released, so we might be able to get probate sorted out at last and shuffle some of the finances around a bit.

GT3Manthey

Original Poster:

2,135 posts

26 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
superlightr said:
or meet up other PH retirees for a curry ! wink

Ill give a shout when Im retired and the curry is on me.
As I stated this thread you know I’ll be holding you to that ;-)

GT3Manthey

Original Poster:

2,135 posts

26 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
OldSkoolRS said:
Well I'll worry about the bad weather later, but my first day of retirement has been gloriously sunny here: Got on clearing my garage, sorting out my tools, then as it warmed up I moved outside more and did some other jobs on the cars outdoors. Have barely stopped all day, apart from sitting in the garden for coffee/lunch with my wife while she got on doing a few things of her own.

I'm waiting for a Haynes manual to arrive, then I can get my son's car on the drive and replace a timing belt, hopefully tomorrow. Our own car is now washed and polished, ready to go round a few garages to see what we might replace it with.

Next week we're having a few days in Spain, then the following week a min break in Sussex I booked before I knew about the Spain trip (my wife is selling a property there and it's paperwork she needs to do in person).

I don't think I've even scratched the surface of the various things I want to do yet, though at the moment it's more about getting some long overdue jobs done. I find that really cathartic, even if they are small jobs, because they've been niggling for so long. At the moment I'm ahead of those jobs as I managed to get on with a few last week during the wind down to leave, so hopefully more time to go out and enjoy the weather with a few local trips/walks that we've not been on for a while due to various bereavement related factors.

Best news today was that my Dad's Will has finally been released, so we might be able to get probate sorted out at last and shuffle some of the finances around a bit.
Sounds an absolutely perfect start to retirement and I can see me doing similar .

Keep us posted and enjoy

DT1975

90 posts

5 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
OldSkoolRS said:
Well I'll worry about the bad weather later, but my first day of retirement has been gloriously sunny here: Got on clearing my garage, sorting out my tools, then as it warmed up I moved outside more and did some other jobs on the cars outdoors. Have barely stopped all day, apart from sitting in the garden for coffee/lunch with my wife while she got on doing a few things of her own.
You need to slow down a bit wink

I played golf yesterday and today changed the discs & pads on the wifes Mini. That meant clearing the garage which I kind of started a week or so back in very slow time. Everything is now in slow time.

Tomorrow my big decision will be deciding to turn left or right out of the gate when I take the dog for a walk.

Welshbeef

48,358 posts

175 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
DT1975 said:
You need to slow down a bit wink

I played golf yesterday and today changed the discs & pads on the wifes Mini. That meant clearing the garage which I kind of started a week or so back in very slow time. Everything is now in slow time.

Tomorrow my big decision will be deciding to turn left or right out of the gate when I take the dog for a walk.
Discs and pads and brake fluid - solo work in your garage that’s a fair amount of work. Enjoyable no doubt.

GT3Manthey

Original Poster:

2,135 posts

26 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
DT1975 said:
You need to slow down a bit wink

I played golf yesterday and today changed the discs & pads on the wifes Mini. That meant clearing the garage which I kind of started a week or so back in very slow time. Everything is now in slow time.

Tomorrow my big decision will be deciding to turn left or right out of the gate when I take the dog for a walk.
Love it , couldn’t think of anything better !