Is anyone moving now?

Is anyone moving now?

Author
Discussion

Quhet

1,952 posts

110 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
I'm buying a place with my GF.
She accepted an offer on her place (£11k over asking) very quickly after it went on the market - It went onto Rightmove on Wednesday 2 weeks ago and she got 6 offers on the following Monday after 11 viewings over the weekend.

We decided to not look at anything until a buyer for her place was found. We started looking on Wednesday last week, saw a place on Friday we liked and had a full asking price offer accepted the following morning. We're lucky as the place we've found is chain free and the buyers of my GF's place are FTB. Fingers crossed we'll be in for early June....

Fast Bug

9,272 posts

125 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Our buyer has asked asked us to take out an indemnity policy on the replacement windows we had fitted over 6 years ago. No thanks, happy for them to pay it if they wish!

01WE01

917 posts

37 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Al U said:
To be honest I'd rather just settle on something and make it clear to our buyer that we have not found something when it comes to accepting an offer, we will be increasing our mortgage for our next house so renting for 6 months and paying early repayment charges doesn't really stack up for us. At least I don't think it does at the moment, I think if it came to that I'd rather just stay in ours for another year. We aren't really desperate to up-size, it's more of a want than a need for sure.
Whilst I totally appreciate your position, in the current market I would say this will quickly cast doubt in the minds of potential buyers - espescially if your search criteria is quite specific.

To take this position openly, you need to be confident that the house you are selling is worth a buyer sticking around for - because serious buyers expect serious sellers. I would at least show openess to renting.

01WE01

917 posts

37 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
Our buyer has asked asked us to take out an indemnity policy on the replacement windows we had fitted over 6 years ago. No thanks, happy for them to pay it if they wish!
Well then just supply the building regs sign off?

AlmostUseful

3,015 posts

164 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
If you’ve lost your Fensa certificate you can put your postcode in to their website and it will confirm you’re covered, it’s just going to cost you £25 if you want the new certificate (which isn’t worth the paper it’s written on anyway, but that’s irrelevant) and you will find your certificate the day after you buy the new one.
Ask me how I know smile

01WE01

917 posts

37 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
I anticipate the underlying issue is that it wasn't FENSAd in the first place, nor have BC been round to have a nosy.

Fast Bug

9,272 posts

125 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Anglian Windows haven't registered it with Fensa, they're doing that now. I had no idea when they were fitted we'd need a certificate, and in the time since they've been fitted I could've replaced them myself and nobody would know banghead

01WE01

917 posts

37 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
Anglian Windows haven't registered it with Fensa, they're doing that now. I had no idea when they were fitted we'd need a certificate, and in the time since they've been fitted I could've replaced them myself and nobody would know banghead
You're lucky its still the same legal entity given its been six years. That's about 3 generations in the DG industry!

AJB88

7,412 posts

135 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Not sure if this is "normal" had 2 things happen today.

I had an AIP with my current lender and was all set to go with them, The house we are buying through Purplebricks asked for the AIP so I sent it them, fast forward 2 weeks and I am now going with my bank Barclays rather than my current lender Halifax.

This morning the Purplebricks contact rang me asked me If I can send him the new AIP, so I did. An hour later the guy whose house I am buying messaged me to say the estate agents he is buying through have been on to say his seller is considering pulling out because they have seen no evidence that my finances are in place??? Queue manic phone calls between Mortgage broker, My Estate agents etc. I then called the estate agents in question and emailed her the AIP but in her own words "I cant accept this directly from you, I need to see it come from the mortgage broker", So back on the phone to him and hes contacted them now.

Then an hour later, my solicitors have posted out more forms to sign concerning the house I am buying, on one of the forms it has the house price I am buying but +10k (435 instead of 425) So I called them up and actually managed to catch the solicitor himself "oh sorry i'll change that right now".

Can see this being a lot of fun and games.

LetsTryAgain

2,753 posts

37 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
I honestly think most folk in most lines of employment just make st up.
Instead of saying “I don’t know, but let me check and I’ll get back to you”, they just say the first thing that’s in their head.

I’m hardly a prolific homeowner or house mover but in my relatively short time on this planet I’ve found it never less than an absolute PITA.

The whole process is just hassle.

Sheepshanks

23,473 posts

83 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
AJB88 said:
Not sure if this is "normal" had 2 things happen today.

......

This morning the Purplebricks contact rang me asked me If I can send him the new AIP, so I did. An hour later the guy whose house I am buying messaged me to say the estate agents he is buying through have been on to say his seller is considering pulling out because they have seen no evidence that my finances are in place??? Queue manic phone calls between Mortgage broker, My Estate agents etc. I then called the estate agents in question and emailed her the AIP but in her own words "I cant accept this directly from you, I need to see it come from the mortgage broker", So back on the phone to him and hes contacted them now.
So your mortgage broker has to send your AIP to the EA for the seller of the house your seller is buying?

I know EAs do a "chain check" but I didn't realise is was quite so formal.

ooid

2,453 posts

64 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
Our buyer has asked asked us to take out an indemnity policy on the replacement windows we had fitted over 6 years ago. No thanks, happy for them to pay it if they wish!
Mine too, I think it is standard. Windows and Boiler replacements were not notified with building regs (the previous owner not me). Took an indemnity about 100 GBP, that's it. Oh also I exchanged yesterday, so happy days - hopefully!

AJB88

7,412 posts

135 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Sheepshanks said:
So your mortgage broker has to send your AIP to the EA for the seller of the house your seller is buying?

I know EAs do a "chain check" but I didn't realise is was quite so formal.
Yep apparently so. Everybody else seems surprised by this as well. Especially because she wouldn't accept it from me.

ooid

2,453 posts

64 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Gents,

Has any one used easy storage? I've just got a quote from them, blimey, nearly half of my usual removal/moving company with their storage option. Quite tempted to sort this out today, could not find any other good deal so far.

Cheers


TCruise

241 posts

55 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Gad-Westy said:
surveyor said:
TCruise said:
1. Estate Agents who make stuff up.
2. Slow lawyers.
3. Chinese Whispers between lawyers.
= mess and stress

- Estate Agent saying, everyone is ready to Exchange except us.
- But, we need an indemnity from our Sellers, who are useless.
- So, I put a chaser on our lawyers.
- BUT, then the Agent says, actually our Buyer has a few more queries.

So actually they aren't ready to Exchange. Lies.

It is bloody annoying. I don't know why there cannot be an all parties call.

The only ones with oversight of the whole chain is an Estate Agent. Frankly, I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him.

I feel bad as I'm feeding my lawyers the lies my Estate Agent is telling me.

But, our lawyers are being slow. They could have made this much faster. Instead every email roughly takes a couple of days for a response.

I don't trust the Sellers at all. The house we are buying is a wreck, so it's to be expected. But, they are making the whole thing more difficult.

The process is just a huge waste of time, full of misinformation.



Edited by TCruise on Monday 1st March 22:17
There is no reason why you cannot have an all parties call, apart from all of the solicitors and agents involved hate them! I wonder why!
yes Such a familiar sounding tale. Was the same with our sale/purchase and there have been loads of similar posts from others on here. So much that could be resolved with very simple conference calls. I got so sick of all the bullst. There was so much of it being flung around that I no longer had the faintest idea where anything was at. And yet simple calls with our actual vendor or buyer and everything was 100% clear. So f'ing infuriating that it feels like we're paying solicitors to make the process much worse! And estate agents seem utterly uninterested for the entire period between offer acceptance and hand over of keys.
I really do not understand the lack of all parties calls, instead of drawing everything out, which creates work and is deeply inefficient.

Our Estate Agents are very involved, however, they also tell lies as suits them. They seem to be telling everybody that someone else in the Chain is desperate to Exchange. Despite this not being true.

Hopefully we'll get there in the end. Just annoying at the severe lack of efficiency.

Al U

1,857 posts

95 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
01WE01 said:
Al U said:
To be honest I'd rather just settle on something and make it clear to our buyer that we have not found something when it comes to accepting an offer, we will be increasing our mortgage for our next house so renting for 6 months and paying early repayment charges doesn't really stack up for us. At least I don't think it does at the moment, I think if it came to that I'd rather just stay in ours for another year. We aren't really desperate to up-size, it's more of a want than a need for sure.
Whilst I totally appreciate your position, in the current market I would say this will quickly cast doubt in the minds of potential buyers - espescially if your search criteria is quite specific.

To take this position openly, you need to be confident that the house you are selling is worth a buyer sticking around for - because serious buyers expect serious sellers. I would at least show openess to renting.
Funnily enough, we accepted an offer today from a buyer that has been made fully aware of our position and says that they are willing to wait for us to find our next place. Will be taking a more serious look at what's out there at the moment to see what we can find for our next house, while they are willing to wait I'll be doing everything in my power to make sure they aren't left waiting too long.

01WE01

917 posts

37 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Great news and hopefully you find something soon.

Fast Bug

9,272 posts

125 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Just had an hour long chat with the chap who has surveyed our house (proper chap, has a Merc W126 as a daily and a W124). Few bits of damp and some other bits that need some love, but it was built somewhere between 1895 and 1905 so nothing too surprising especially as the house has been empty for the last 6 months or so.

I do need to get a drain survey done though, hopefully that won't throw up any nasty surprises. Inching closer to the finish line smile

jmn

420 posts

244 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
We accepted an offer from purchasers living with their in laws about 6 months ago.

Unfortunately there is hardly anything coming on to the market in areas that we would consider and prices appear to have increased generally since we accepted their offer.

The worry we have is that the longer this goes on the more disadvantaged we are going to be in our property search, assuming of course that prices do not start to go down, We do not want to let our purchasers down but our house is our principle asset and we cannot afford to sell it for anything less than its true value. We doubt that an attempt to renegotiate the selling price at some point in the future would succeed as it appears that our purchasers are on the margins of affordability.


ooid

2,453 posts

64 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
jmn said:
We accepted an offer from purchasers living with their in laws about 6 months ago.

Unfortunately there is hardly anything coming on to the market in areas that we would consider and prices appear to have increased generally since we accepted their offer.

6 months and you still have the same potential buyers? you must be quite lucky to have them, it is quite long imho.