Bodges youโ€™ve seen.

Bodges youโ€™ve seen.

Author
Discussion

Zoon

5,255 posts

88 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Teddy Lop said:



All those years of lifting floorboards, I was wasting my time!
Also note the socket which has nearly set the house on fire, connections probably not tight enough or running a cannabis grow 24 hours a day through it.

bristolracer

4,593 posts

116 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all


That is a mains powered aerial distribution amplifier, in a broken bucket on a rooftop of a London hotel.

ollyprice87

262 posts

127 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
andy43 said:
There's apparently a new garden makeover programme being filmed. They did a makeover near me.
Just you watch. Corrugated iron summerhouses with plantpots precariously balanced on mdf offcuts will be all the rage soon rolleyes

Behold the majesty! Lawrence Lewyllen Bowen must be stting himself.
Looks like an Anderson shelter. How long we betting that pot stays up there?

Zoon

5,255 posts

88 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
bristolracer said:


That is a mains powered aerial distribution amplifier, in a broken bucket on a rooftop of a London hotel.
We have a winner!

TimmyMallett

1,496 posts

79 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
bristolracer said:


That is a mains powered aerial distribution amplifier, in a broken bucket on a rooftop of a London hotel.
If they can't see it, it was never there.......

Evanivitch

10,124 posts

89 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Zoon said:
Also note the socket which has nearly set the house on fire, connections probably not tight enough or running a cannabis grow 24 hours a day through it.
There must be a lot of strain in the applicance plug based on how close that socket is to the floor.

HootersGsy

625 posts

103 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
MikeStroud said:
I'm not sure why the wood is required at all, why not fit the pole direct to the wall?
Could be like my house, old plaster with patched holes from previous fittings means its often best to fit a large piece of wood to spread the load and attach curtain poles etc. to that.

tight fart

1,827 posts

240 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
bristolracer said:


That is a mains powered aerial distribution amplifier, in a broken bucket on a rooftop of a London hotel.
Unbelievable.


You can buy a new bucket for less than a £1

andy43

7,386 posts

221 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
tight fart said:
bristolracer said:


That is a mains powered aerial distribution amplifier, in a broken bucket on a rooftop of a London hotel.
Unbelievable.


You can buy a new bucket for less than a £1
Exactly. And it'd be IP66 rated if it was installed upside down. Amateurs.

Chipstick

122 posts

7 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Enjoy seeing this external goalpost arrangement every time I walk past this house.




ollyprice87

262 posts

127 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Chipstick said:
Enjoy seeing this external goalpost arrangement every time I walk past this house.



whoever colour matched those bricks should be shot. The lead work is a hanging offence. There are no words for the steels.

ooo000ooo

2,042 posts

161 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
r44flyer said:
The coping stones are coming off our low wall between drive and pavement... again!

So this time I stuck them on with Sticks Like Sh*t! biggrin

Tradesman in a van drove past and actually shouted "bodge job!" out the window at me. laugh Yes mate, instead I should've paid you hundreds to knock everything off and lay them in mortar. Or it looks perfect now, cost £7.99 and twenty minutes and will be fine for years. Some bodges work for me!
Just did this to replace some coping stones on our front wall, knew i had seen it somewhere and thought, that sounds good to me smile

Venom

1,747 posts

226 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Chipstick said:
Enjoy seeing this external goalpost arrangement every time I walk past this house.



So they've converted half of the double garage, but couldn't face the idea of boxing in some steels. Wait a minute lads, I've got an idea... loser

Chipstick

122 posts

7 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Venom said:
Chipstick said:
Enjoy seeing this external goalpost arrangement every time I walk past this house.



So they've converted half of the double garage, but couldn't face the idea of boxing in some steels. Wait a minute lads, I've got an idea... loser
The garage to the right belongs to the neighbour adjacent to the extended house, so would have originally been two single garages joined together.

Teddy Lop

5,428 posts

34 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Zoon said:
Also note the socket which has nearly set the house on fire, connections probably not tight enough or running a cannabis grow 24 hours a day through it.
A fondness for portable plug in heaters and a builder who like to play electrics using Poundland accessories to be accurate.

Carlososos

181 posts

63 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Chipstick said:
Enjoy seeing this external goalpost arrangement every time I walk past this house.



Holy moly. How can that be allowed.

scottyp123

2,548 posts

23 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
This is a strange one for us this week. We have turned up to wire an extension for a local building firm, the structure at the back is exposed, walls and ceilings down etc and within two minutes its obvious the whole house needs a re-wire, rubber cables everywhere.

The strange thing is most of the rest of the house is newly decorated and it has chrome switches and a newish (non RCD) consumer unit fitted. The owner of the house asked an electrician to fit the new consumer unit and switches and specifically said to him that he thought the house needed re-wiring and could the electrician give him an honest opinion, the spark said everything was fine and fitted all the stuff as asked and left.

The thing is I know the other spark quite well and he isn't a cowboy, he is good at what he does yet he has left several metal switches fed via rubber cables that will perish eventually, some with (grounded) radiators directly below them in kids rooms with no RCD protection.

Its left us in a very awkward position, especially as he has passed work over to us in the past.

Andy 308GTB

2,438 posts

188 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
scottyp123 said:
This is a strange one for us this week. We have turned up to wire an extension for a local building firm, the structure at the back is exposed, walls and ceilings down etc and within two minutes its obvious the whole house needs a re-wire, rubber cables everywhere.

The strange thing is most of the rest of the house is newly decorated and it has chrome switches and a newish (non RCD) consumer unit fitted. The owner of the house asked an electrician to fit the new consumer unit and switches and specifically said to him that he thought the house needed re-wiring and could the electrician give him an honest opinion, the spark said everything was fine and fitted all the stuff as asked and left.

The thing is I know the other spark quite well and he isn't a cowboy, he is good at what he does yet he has left several metal switches fed via rubber cables that will perish eventually, some with (grounded) radiators directly below them in kids rooms with no RCD protection.

Its left us in a very awkward position, especially as he has passed work over to us in the past.
Tricky. Is it possible the customer isn't telling the whole story?

scottyp123

2,548 posts

23 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
Andy 308GTB said:
scottyp123 said:
This is a strange one for us this week. We have turned up to wire an extension for a local building firm, the structure at the back is exposed, walls and ceilings down etc and within two minutes its obvious the whole house needs a re-wire, rubber cables everywhere.

The strange thing is most of the rest of the house is newly decorated and it has chrome switches and a newish (non RCD) consumer unit fitted. The owner of the house asked an electrician to fit the new consumer unit and switches and specifically said to him that he thought the house needed re-wiring and could the electrician give him an honest opinion, the spark said everything was fine and fitted all the stuff as asked and left.

The thing is I know the other spark quite well and he isn't a cowboy, he is good at what he does yet he has left several metal switches fed via rubber cables that will perish eventually, some with (grounded) radiators directly below them in kids rooms with no RCD protection.

Its left us in a very awkward position, especially as he has passed work over to us in the past.
Tricky. Is it possible the customer isn't telling the whole story?
I don't think so, the woman was practically in tears, not because we would have to get the floors up and what not in her newly decorated house but because of the position she had put her kids into. I don't like over dramatising things but I had to be truthful otherwise we might have looked like chancers just angling for unnecessary work, I was pretty blunt because I could see a real danger.

SpeckledJim

25,676 posts

220 months

Friday 11th June
quotequote all
andy43 said:
tight fart said:
bristolracer said:


That is a mains powered aerial distribution amplifier, in a broken bucket on a rooftop of a London hotel.
Unbelievable.


You can buy a new bucket for less than a £1
Exactly. And it'd be IP66 rated if it was installed upside down. Amateurs.
Or 99dI rated if it was the other way up.