I got wood

Author
Discussion

Biglips

1,029 posts

123 months

Sunday 11th April
quotequote all
weeping



Now where did the axe thread go to?

Edited by Biglips on Sunday 11th April 23:01

bobski1

1,321 posts

72 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
Biglips said:
I have been offered a share of this if I help the owner to split it. There is absolutely masses of it, not all pictured here. There are additionally ash trees on the ground not yet ringed up. All being felled because of ash dieback.
What is the best way to transport a large load of this about 30 miles? Access is good. A trailer on my car is not going to make any sort of dent in the volumes we are talking. Best to hire a man to transport it, or is there something I can hire?
Did you manage to get it all shifted? Depending on location happy to lend a hand. Got a new axe which I need to test out

Biglips

1,029 posts

123 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
That is a kind offer but not started on it yet. I have another big pile at home that I am splitting and stacking to make room for this next lot which is what I broke my axe shaft on! The main problem for me is going to be storage. I live in Bristol but this haul is just over the bridge into Wales.

If I can find time from work I am off to look at new mauls this pm!

Meprobamate chic

5,072 posts

88 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
Biglips said:
That is a kind offer but not started on it yet. I have another big pile at home that I am splitting and stacking to make room for this next lot which is what I broke my axe shaft on! The main problem for me is going to be storage. I live in Bristol but this haul is just over the bridge into Wales.

If I can find time from work I am off to look at new mauls this pm!
Get a Fiskars - much easier on the joints and a 25 year guarantee.

Evoluzione

6,296 posts

211 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
Biglips said:
weeping



Now where did the axe thread go to?
That's 100% repairable. Open it up and dribble some PVA in, clamp it up tight and keep it at room temp for a couple of days.

Biglips

1,029 posts

123 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
Well I thought about a repair but to be honest I really don’t want it to fail on me from both safety and convenience perspectives.

Therefore I bought a cheap new splitting maul today. 25 quid. With the money I saved by not getting a fancy one I made a cheeky chainsaw upgrade.....

Stihl MS 261 added to go alongside my 211.



Edited by Biglips on Monday 12th April 18:12

bobski1

1,321 posts

72 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
Meprobamate chic said:
Biglips said:
That is a kind offer but not started on it yet. I have another big pile at home that I am splitting and stacking to make room for this next lot which is what I broke my axe shaft on! The main problem for me is going to be storage. I live in Bristol but this haul is just over the bridge into Wales.

If I can find time from work I am off to look at new mauls this pm!
Get a Fiskars - much easier on the joints and a 25 year guarantee.
Agreed, I got a Fiskars X27 and did my first logs with it, no issue at all and when straight through on some of them.

RichB

45,514 posts

252 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
bobski1 said:
Meprobamate chic said:
Biglips said:
That is a kind offer but not started on it yet. I have another big pile at home that I am splitting and stacking to make room for this next lot which is what I broke my axe shaft on! The main problem for me is going to be storage. I live in Bristol but this haul is just over the bridge into Wales. If I can find time from work I am off to look at new mauls this pm!
Get a Fiskars - much easier on the joints and a 25 year guarantee.
Agreed, I got a Fiskars X27 and did my first logs with it, no issue at all and when straight through on some of them.
I always got Roughneck mauls and axes with the unbreakable yellow handle. Are Fiskars much better?

Chris Type R

6,368 posts

217 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
RichB said:
always got Roughneck mauls and axes with the unbreakable yellow handle. Are Fiskars much better?
I found my Fiskar X25 much more effective than my Roughneck maul. I think the X27 is probably better in terms of length. I do have a grenade and sledge as well for the awkward stuff.

jagnet

3,592 posts

170 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
The smell of old diesel engines and the sound of wood being unloaded - I love annual wood day:



A nice mix of oak, ash, beech and hornbeam. Topped up with apple, cherry and walnut from spring pruning. Should keep us warm for another year.

eps

5,554 posts

237 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
RichB said:
bobski1 said:
Meprobamate chic said:
Biglips said:
That is a kind offer but not started on it yet. I have another big pile at home that I am splitting and stacking to make room for this next lot which is what I broke my axe shaft on! The main problem for me is going to be storage. I live in Bristol but this haul is just over the bridge into Wales. If I can find time from work I am off to look at new mauls this pm!
Get a Fiskars - much easier on the joints and a 25 year guarantee.
Agreed, I got a Fiskars X27 and did my first logs with it, no issue at all and when straight through on some of them.
I always got Roughneck mauls and axes with the unbreakable yellow handle. Are Fiskars much better?
Yep. I've had a 'grenade' before, but the Fishers X27 just goes through stuff almost effortlessly. Really impressed and if I had to buy either a grenade or a Fiskars again I know which one I'd choose, the X27.

Meprobamate chic

5,072 posts

88 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
Anything that doesn't split with the Fiskars I just don't bother with - not worth the effort of battering in a log grenade.

Harry Flashman

Original Poster:

15,443 posts

210 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
Meprobamate chic said:
Anything that doesn't split with the Fiskars I just don't bother with - not worth the effort of battering in a log grenade.
Don't need a grenade for that twisted grain stuff. Just get the Fiskars 8lb maul to supplement the X27.

So. Satisfying.

Meprobamate chic

5,072 posts

88 months

Monday 12th April
quotequote all
But I have grown to hate mauls. biggrin
I'm growing old before my time, my joints are screaming "Axe, not maul!". Actually they are screaming "Hydraulic PTO splitter or a firewood processor", but I can ignore that bit for now - takes all the fun out of it.

Harry Flashman

Original Poster:

15,443 posts

210 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
Chainsaw blade needs sharpening, folks. Doing it with files seems like a faff - did I see a device on this thread that just clamps to the saw and sharpens as you run it (electric saw), or is that just dangerous fantasy that will lose me a limb?

paua

2,644 posts

111 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
Harry Flashman said:
Chainsaw blade needs sharpening, folks. Doing it with files seems like a faff - did I see a device on this thread that just clamps to the saw and sharpens as you run it (electric saw), or is that just dangerous fantasy that will lose me a limb?
Try this - https://www.timberlinesharpener.com/
I'm crap with a hand file, don't like electric sharpeners ( because heat). I find this works a treat for both my ms461 & 211 - just need the appropriate size bit for each.

Edit - if, like me you have need of different size cutter bits, order as many crank handles as you need cutter bits. I didn't & it's a pita having to share one crank among different bits.

Edited by paua on Tuesday 13th April 08:36

Biglips

1,029 posts

123 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
paua said:
Try this - https://www.timberlinesharpener.com/
I'm crap with a hand file, don't like electric sharpeners ( because heat). I find this works a treat for both my ms461 & 211 - just need the appropriate size bit for each.
That looks quite clever, but the hand files are really easy to use. Just need to get the right size for your chain. I always have a couple of spare chains. One on saw, one spare ready to go at short notice, and another I can drop in to the shop for professional sharpening and collect next time I am in the dealership

Meprobamate chic

5,072 posts

88 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
Harry Flashman said:
Chainsaw blade needs sharpening, folks. Doing it with files seems like a faff - did I see a device on this thread that just clamps to the saw and sharpens as you run it (electric saw), or is that just dangerous fantasy that will lose me a limb?
The Stihl combination file is great, it doesn't take the depth gauges down as far as I prefer, but for a quick sharpen it works really well (particularly if you have never sharpened a chain before).
The other system you are probably referring to is the Oregon Powersharp - I have it on a couple of saws but it needs a change of bar and chain (it clips over the end of the bar). Not cheap, but even handier than the Stihl file, and a lot faster.


bucks

278 posts

175 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
Just buy one of these Harry

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stihl-Chainsaw-Easy-File-...

I was like you, hated the faff of sharpening but a mate made me use his and see what I'd think. 5-10 mins later the chain is sharper than it's even been and is small and light enough to be with you and your chainsaw kit at all times. And you can sharpen on the ground or on a log, anywhere really. Quick rub before I start work and every now and then during depending on how long I'm at it.

Bill

45,500 posts

223 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
I got one of these: https://www.dwtoolshop.com/oregon-558488-sharpenin...

Not as pretty but a piece of piss to use.