I got wood

Author
Discussion

PushedDover

3,649 posts

23 months

Saturday 18th September
quotequote all
Gift shop here in fiskarhdos, Gr

Took time to find the right fit


Am I doing this right ??

snowandrocks

962 posts

112 months

Saturday 18th September
quotequote all
bobski1 said:
Going to build a lot store soon, there seems to be different options for roof

1) wood
2) roof felt
3) tiled

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the others?

Ive found some felt from marketplace but unsure if it's self adhesive but I have to roof nails left from another job which I am thinking of using but not sure it that's the correct way?
I prefer corrugated tin sheet as it's easy and quick to install and will last 30 years plus without maintenance.

We're on the side of a hill in the North of Scotland and even good quality felt doesn't really last.

Tiles or slates seem like too much effort to me!

bobski1

1,379 posts

74 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
snowandrocks said:
I prefer corrugated tin sheet as it's easy and quick to install and will last 30 years plus without maintenance.

We're on the side of a hill in the North of Scotland and even good quality felt doesn't really last.

Tiles or slates seem like too much effort to me!
What's the best way to cut and install corrugated sheet?

Bill

46,210 posts

225 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
I used cedar shingles because it's next to the house. Took time but a very enjoyable job and looks great.

Evoluzione

6,807 posts

213 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
bobski1 said:
snowandrocks said:
I prefer corrugated tin sheet as it's easy and quick to install and will last 30 years plus without maintenance.

We're on the side of a hill in the North of Scotland and even good quality felt doesn't really last.

Tiles or slates seem like too much effort to me!
What's the best way to cut and install corrugated sheet?
Angry grinder with a 1mm cutting disc and some self drilling metal roofing sheet screws, they have foam washers on them so they seal.
Which type of roof material to use is completely up to you based on cost, longevity, ease of fitting and aesthetics etc.

Edited by Evoluzione on Sunday 19th September 10:53

Harry Flashman

Original Poster:

15,769 posts

212 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
This is here for this winter to help me get through the various piles of timber seasoning everywhere.

Corten steel, blued after its first fire but now rusting on the surface after a rain shower, which is what it should be doing.


Harry Flashman

Original Poster:

15,769 posts

212 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
PushedDover said:
Gift shop here in fiskarhdos, Gr

Took time to find the right fit


Am I doing this right ??
That is some niche choice in garden decor.

Magooagain

6,718 posts

140 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
Harry Flashman said:
This is here for this winter to help me get through the various piles of timber seasoning everywhere.

Corten steel, blued after its first fire but now rusting on the surface after a rain shower, which is what it should be doing.

Ah yes Harry it's very similar to mine!

jet_noise

4,860 posts

152 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
bobski1 said:
What's the best way to cut and install corrugated sheet?
I used corrugated bitumenous stuff.
Cut with a panel saw.
Nails/screws with plastic cup seals.

PushedDover

3,649 posts

23 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
jet_noise said:
I used corrugated bitumenous stuff.
Cut with a panel saw.
Nails/screws with plastic cup seals.
I’ve used the same too for the field shelter and a lean too.

Wrecks saws trying to cut I found, so used a cutting disc instead

LeadFarmer

4,877 posts

101 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
bobski1 said:
Going to build a lot store soon, there seems to be different options for roof

1) wood
2) roof felt
3) tiled

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the others?

Ive found some felt from marketplace but unsure if it's self adhesive but I have to roof nails left from another job which I am thinking of using but not sure it that's the correct way?
I used these corrugated panels as they are cheap and instant, just need screwing down with their own fixings, but shed felt could also be used. but you'd need a solid timber roof to nail it to....




snowandrocks

962 posts

112 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
My local metal yard stock metal sheet roofing in various lengths down to 4ft I think so I've never needed to cut it but would be easy enough I think with a grinder.

It only needs supporting with a horizontal purlin every metre so no need to fully board out the roof first. As above self tapping screws with a sealing washer for fixing it down.

basherX

1,357 posts

131 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
Bill said:
I used cedar shingles because it's next to the house. Took time but a very enjoyable job and looks great.
I used these on my shed build this year. Look great, smell great (at least initially) but ended up making up a substantial portion of the overall build cost. They messed up and sent an extra bundle though so probably my daughter’s Wendy house is going to get a Gucci roof.

OMITN

746 posts

62 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
800kg dried wood delivered by usual supplier the other day. I’ve been too busy with work to start shifting it from its pile on the drive until today.

The hard/soft mix is mainly soft, and there are so many small odds and ends vs the usual decent slices of tree I’m wondering if I’ve done something to offend the guy..!

Frustratingly Mrs OMITN’s request that one of the log store bays be removed for gardening purposes back in the summer means that I’m now filling builders bags in the garage….

And my office-dweller’s back is killing.

  1. middleclassproblems

bobski1

1,379 posts

74 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
Those bitumen panels are prefect, and a very good prices what fixings would you use for them?

The plan is to put this next to the garage, would you just but up to the garage and silicone between the panel and brick or add something to stop the water going down the back?

I don't plan to seal it on the side though as it defeats the object of the store and trying to get air around it

OMITN

746 posts

62 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
bobski1 said:
Those bitumen panels are prefect, and a very good prices what fixings would you use for them?

The plan is to put this next to the garage, would you just but up to the garage and silicone between the panel and brick or add something to stop the water going down the back?

I don't plan to seal it on the side though as it defeats the object of the store and trying to get air around it
Just butt it up to the garage. Don’t seal to the wall. The amount of rain that gets down there will be minimal and have no negative effect on the wood.

eps

5,630 posts

239 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
bobski1 said:
Going to build a lot store soon, there seems to be different options for roof

1) wood
2) roof felt
3) tiled

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the others?

Ive found some felt from marketplace but unsure if it's self adhesive but I have to roof nails left from another job which I am thinking of using but not sure it that's the correct way?
I had some felt left over from a shed roof covering, so it was free, as was the board - I had some that someone was giving away for free as well.

LeadFarmer

4,877 posts

101 months

Sunday 19th September
quotequote all
bobski1 said:
Those bitumen panels are prefect, and a very good prices what fixings would you use for them?
If you're referring to the corrugated roofing sheets you can get specific fixings, either in screw or nail format..




bobski1

1,379 posts

74 months

Monday 20th September
quotequote all
Brilliant thanks all, I have all material I need, just need to finish drawing up plans so I can order the right amount of sheet.

jet_noise

4,860 posts

152 months

Monday 20th September
quotequote all
bobski1 said:
Brilliant thanks all, I have all material I need, just need to finish drawing up plans so I can order the right amount of sheet.
Manufacturers usually have good product dependent install guides including recommended pitch, overlap, overhang and fixing centres. T'internet is worth its weight!