Entry level Miele vs Bosch/Siemens other appliances

Entry level Miele vs Bosch/Siemens other appliances

Author
Discussion

Mattt

16,562 posts

179 months

dhutch

7,937 posts

158 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
We had an old Miele dishwasher left behind, its got to be 20yo an looked shot, but it washes as well as the day it was new.
Third tray for cutlery, and as others have said elsewhere, its also quieter than any other dishwasher i've used.

For the fridge and freezer, look at Liebherr. I understand they make for Miele, two years in we are very happy with ours. Foil back to protect the foam from fire.

We have a K4310 (£779) and GNP4355 (£869) placed side by side, one door swapped to be a pair. We also looked at a SBSef7242 (£1659) but wanted white units. Local appliance dealer and stockist undercut the cheapest online price by about £100 including delivery.

Only downside with them is the air for the evaporator on the back is drawn in a floor level, and with two dogs needs a good hooving out once a year, the unit brings up a warning symbol on the mini touch screen when it feels this is due.


Daniel

Jimboka

9,863 posts

165 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
Another vote for Miele here

My Miele washing machine is 9 years old Just had its first call out, some tubes a bit blocked. Fixed FOC under the 10 year free warranty.

Dishwasher is 8 years old, never missed a beat.

Purchased a Siemens tumble drier last year. It’s a faff, dumb touch panel buttons which are hit & miss. I regret buying it. Looking to move it on & get a Miele!

ChocolateFrog

10,943 posts

134 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
We have a Hotpoint tumble dryer, the last hotpoint product I'll ever buy. Currently trying to justify the price of a heat pump based Samsung replacement.

The Samaung Fridge Freezer and washing machine have been great and no issues so far.

Would love Miele but will have to wait for the forever home I think.

Hereward

2,803 posts

191 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
fesuvious said:
In home moving it's fairly common knowledge that people are often very happy to leave appliances behind for the new owner.

Unless it's Miele.

Those don't get left.

That's been 'common knowledge' for a great many years
I had a Unicorn seller - they left the Miele tumble drier when I moved in 10 years ago. Still going strong today, I reckon it must be >20 years old.

Sheepshanks

22,409 posts

80 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
Jimboka said:
Another vote for Miele here

My Miele washing machine is 9 years old Just had its first call out, some tubes a bit blocked. Fixed FOC under the 10 year free warranty.
People always mention the 10 year warranty but when I've looked (including very recently as some machines appeared in Costco) their stuff seems to be guaranteed for 2yrs, like everyone else's. And you do see "they don't make 'em like they used to" comments from recent Miele purchasers.


Interesting to see the positive comments about Samsung - I'm sure there was a thread on here with negative comments about Samsung appliances. Daughter just chucked one of their American fridge freezers - 10yrs old (was in house she bought) but no-one would come to look at it and Samsung's only solution was a discount off a new one from their site, which is over-priced compared to other channels.


ETA: I think this is thread I was thinking of re Samsung: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...

Edited by Sheepshanks on Monday 26th October 16:27

ST12AT

492 posts

128 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
We have the Bosch Serie 8 washing machine and ‘matching’ tumble dryer.

https://www.bosch-home.co.uk/product-list/WAW325H0...

They are nearly silent, the washing machine even at full rpm is almost ASMR levels of silence. The rumble dryer is a heat pump and is fantastic.

Both connect to the internet and make use of an app (which the Siemens dishwasher does being virtually the same company). The app is useful but I quickly turned off the notifications sent to my phone when a program finished (we put out dishwasher on over night and a 3am text message saying it is ready to unload gets very boring very quickly!). Separate currently tray at the top is useful although it does mean you lose space for tall glasses on the top drawer.

The touch buttons on the dishwasher can be a little temperamental but you soon forget about that when the little cinema style display is projected onto the tiles for the dogs enjoyment.

rossub

3,005 posts

151 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
irocfan said:
As an aside (since they're owned by Bosch) I'd not touch a Neff dishwasher again. Very unsatisfactory performance
To counter that, ours is now 11 years old, on once every 2 days and has been totally reliable.

troika

1,107 posts

112 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
Miele every time.
Had Siemens top end oven and induction hob, Both terminally failed just outside warranty. Siemens not interested. Have a Neff dishwasher in a flat. Again, failed just outside warranty throwing a £250 bill. Piece of junk.

FtypeRmeister

36 posts

96 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
Another vote for Miele.
We put in the basic dishwasher, washer, tumble drier, ovens, microwave and gas hob 15 years ago and we had our first issue last month with the gas hob. All the parts are available and it is being refurbished to new in November by Miele service. Just great!

Aluminati

1,229 posts

19 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
We have a Miele washing machine thats 15 years old and hasn’t missed a beat, however, the quality then isn’t the same as now.

You can get a basic washing machine for not a lot, if you get 3 years out of it, result. I’ve found the more fandango things they put into these machines, the more often they break.

Bosch has been not good for me, 2 dishwashers in 5 years, bought a basic cheapish Smeg, still good after 4 years.

Simpo Two

73,911 posts

226 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
troika said:
Miele every time.
Had Siemens top end oven and induction hob, Both terminally failed just outside warranty. Siemens not interested.
Well there you go, my Siemens induction hob and oven were about £1,200 in 2008; both get used quite a lot and apart from one grill element which I fixed myself, they've performed faultlessly.

If a Miele appliance failed just outside warranty would Miele fix it under warranty?

Falconer

299 posts

11 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
dhutch said:
We had an old Miele dishwasher left behind, its got to be 20yo an looked shot, but it washes as well as the day it was new.
Third tray for cutlery, and as others have said elsewhere, its also quieter than any other dishwasher i've used.

For the fridge and freezer, look at Liebherr. I understand they make for Miele, two years in we are very happy with ours. Foil back to protect the foam from fire.

We have a K4310 (£779) and GNP4355 (£869) placed side by side, one door swapped to be a pair. We also looked at a SBSef7242 (£1659) but wanted white units. Local appliance dealer and stockist undercut the cheapest online price by about £100 including delivery.

Only downside with them is the air for the evaporator on the back is drawn in a floor level, and with two dogs needs a good hooving out once a year, the unit brings up a warning symbol on the mini touch screen when it feels this is due.


Daniel
I bought a Liebherr fridge freezer and it lasted about 4 years, not what I was expecting from a top brand. Before it conked out, my son also bought the same model ( as we told him it was great) , 3 years, same fault. Liebherr’s agent in Glasgow was an absolute joke, so bad that Liebherr just replaced it foc.
So not impressed, although customer service eventually came good.

CrgT16

1,102 posts

69 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
We have Miele washing machine/tumble dryer and have 10 year warranty and work everyday... they just work with no complains can’t fault them. Dishwasher we went for cheaper Bosch and has been a pleasant surprised, really good as well. Our fridge is a Samsung and so far so good. Worst machines we had were Siemens that I understand are made by Bosch, they were bad, dishwasher was terrible and washer/dryer just damage the clothes no matter which program was used. They were integrated and probably the lower range if that matters?

I think all brands have good stuff, some brands are consistent in the quality. I think Miele is more consistent in the quality compared to others. Also my experience in customer service has been second to none which helps too.

dhutch

7,937 posts

158 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
Falconer said:
I bought a Liebherr fridge freezer and it lasted about 4 years, not what I was expecting from a top brand. Before it conked out, my son also bought the same model ( as we told him it was great) , 3 years, same fault. Liebherr’s agent in Glasgow was an absolute joke, so bad that Liebherr just replaced it foc.
So not impressed, although customer service eventually came good.
Not great news.

And you have reminded me that 18months in, four months ago, we did need a new control board in the freezer. However in our case they got a subcontractor out to swap it within the week with no drama, which in the middle of a pandemic especially is more than good enough for me given the thing still worked ok.

We shall see, I'll let you know in ten years how it's going, and again in twenty.

Parents had a Liebherr under counter fridge that that did 20 year, new kitchen and got a taller unit, a Lec which did 5 years and a fortnight before failing just out of warranty, so went back to Liebherr.

Again we shall see.

dhutch

7,937 posts

158 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
Sheepshanks said:
Interesting to see the positive comments about Samsung - I'm sure there was a thread on here with negative comments about Samsung appliances.
Same when I was looking everyone said the Samsung stuff was not better than anything else (aka junk) and the extra money just went on the long warranty cover, which they where then dickish about paying out on. Which frankly I can do without almost more than devices which prematurely fail.

Hence the Liebherr fridge, and a huge flat-plate Panasonic microwave.

However I'm under no illusions they will last as long as they should or would have done.

Parents bought an Panasonic microwave when my sister was born for her baby food. She's now 30 and they still use the microwave daily.

There washing machine was a Hoover, did all three of us kids, through Terry towelling nappies, and into our late teens before developing a crack in the (substantial) cast aluminium spider on the back of the drum. They still have the dryer, which was never used has heavily.


Daniel

troika

1,107 posts

112 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
Simpo Two said:
Well there you go, my Siemens induction hob and oven were about £1,200 in 2008; both get used quite a lot and apart from one grill element which I fixed myself, they've performed faultlessly.

If a Miele appliance failed just outside warranty would Miele fix it under warranty?
I’d like to think there would have been a gesture. Would have cost them very little and kept a customer. I always judge a company on how they act when things go wrong.

Simpo Two

73,911 posts

226 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
troika said:
I’d like to think there would have been a gesture. Would have cost them very little and kept a customer. I always judge a company on how they act when things go wrong.
I feel the same about Zanussi!

Seems everybody has had a bad experience with one of them, a bit like couriers. You hope, though, that the more you pay the better it is and the better the after-sales service.

Sheepshanks

22,409 posts

80 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
dhutch said:
Parents bought an Panasonic microwave when my sister was born for her baby food. She's now 30 and they still use the microwave daily.
We had a couple of Panny microwaves that we only got rid of as they were tatty after years of use. Then one a few years ago we got one that was DOA, replacement lasted a week and its replacement failed at 6 months, was repaired then failed again at 18mths was repaired and failed again. Panasonic replaced it FOC with a brand new one - DOA. They sent us another - failed after 12mths that's away for repair at the moment!

Trouble is, if you want a reasonably compact stainless steel combi microwave, there doesn't seem to be anything except the one they have. Miele used to do one at £600 but it doesn't seem to be available and the reviews for it weren't good anyway.

philv

2,867 posts

175 months

Monday 26th October 2020
quotequote all
Miler fridge failed just out of warranty of 2 years.

Miele washer - 13 years - bearing gone. Dead.

Miele dryer - 13 years - keeps stopping - replaced sensor....no change.

Miele dish easier - 13 years - dead.

out of warranty repairs by mile are extortionate.
Large call out fee and nuts parts costs.

So easier dead, fridge dead, dishwasher dead.
And probably dryer.

Worked well when working.

Nee dishwasher smaller inside than old one.