Adopted yorkies

Author
Discussion

kuro

1,435 posts

75 months

Wednesday 17th July 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:


Another haircut looms.
Looking happy.

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Wednesday 17th July 2019
quotequote all
HTP99 said:
They are lovely.
You'd think so by looking at them, wouldn't you?
hehe
kuro said:
Looking happy.
Thanks.

Nearly six weeks since adoption and they're settling in properly now. Ted had a rough couple of days with sickness and 'loose movements' - made a right mess a couple of times. Much better now though. smile

Also dispensed with harnesses and just use simple collars 90% of the time. They really don't like the harnesses but sometimes I need the security if we're in town or busy roads, just in case. Letting them off the lead regularly now when safe and they definitely enjoy the freedom.

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Friday 19th July 2019
quotequote all
Ted's tummy troubles aren't over. I've been quite worried about him and last night after about a day or so of not pooping, had very wet and gooey diarrhoea with blood in it. I was worried sick.
Took him to vets again today and they've diagnosed colitis. While not great it's not as bad as I'd feared. Five day course of antibiotics and a diet of small and frequent meals of chicken and rice.
He seems right as rain in himself, running jumping and bouncing about. Hopefully he's on the mend properly now.

Who me ?

7,154 posts

168 months

Sunday 21st July 2019
quotequote all
Looking good. I've got a mix- from body, she's a long haired JRT X Yorky. White head, with tan body with a white spot on tail. Rescue- she decided I was the one on a visit to a RSPCA kennels. We met her and she had decided from day one that we were the ones.

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Monday 22nd July 2019
quotequote all
I know that feeling, sounds great. Any pictures of her?

kuro

1,435 posts

75 months

Wednesday 24th July 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
Ted's tummy troubles aren't over. I've been quite worried about him and last night after about a day or so of not pooping, had very wet and gooey diarrhoea with blood in it. I was worried sick.
Took him to vets again today and they've diagnosed colitis. While not great it's not as bad as I'd feared. Five day course of antibiotics and a diet of small and frequent meals of chicken and rice.
He seems right as rain in himself, running jumping and bouncing about. Hopefully he's on the mend properly now.
If that continues it may be worth getting him checked out for pancreatitis. My boy has it but under control with a low fat diet.

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Wednesday 24th July 2019
quotequote all
The vet did mention the possibility, but as he's full of beans and eating well they said it's unlikely at the moment. If he gets lethargic and not eating they'll investigate further. He's been much better the last couple of days - antibiotics and chicken/rice diet seems to be doing the trick. smile

One point of interest; rather than pay £3 tin for the vet's choice of chicken and rice I cooked a supermarket chicken and boiled some rice. Both of them loved it and really wolfed it down. One odd side-effect though is nuclear fluorescent yellow poop. Ted just lays a log and doesn't notice. However, Stella always looks around to check her poop (as we all do). It was so funny when she turned round to see this yellow poop. She jumped backwards almost whelping with shock. She took a tentative sniff and ran to me with her tail between her legs looking very sorry for herself. hehe

Fingers crossed he's over it now, but I've thought that before so we'll just have to wait and see.

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Thursday 29th August 2019
quotequote all
Quick update on the little darlings...

Ted is over his colitis, though he gets edgy when he gets nervous especially around other dogs. He gets jittery and barks with even friendly, quiet dogs - I guess it'll just take a little more time and acclimatization.
Stella was spayed last Tuesday and is well on the mend. She had a high temperature a few days post-op so probably an infection. A course of antibiotics has resolved that. Temperature back to normal and she's starting to run a little now. I think she's missed running for a ball more than any pain or discomfort from the operation.

Couldn't get the buggers to go out in the rain at all last night, apart from a quick pee in the garden. Was a little worried about an accident overnight so shut them in the kitchen, but they managed to hold it in. Still a challenge getting them out this morning but once we left the house they were happy as Larry. Big poops!



They like the beanbag in the box room. Ted's tail is a blur as usual.

Who me ?

7,154 posts

168 months

Friday 30th August 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
I know that feeling, sounds great. Any pictures of her?

Madam Lexi is here

kuro

1,435 posts

75 months

Sunday 1st September 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
Quick update on the little darlings...

Ted is over his colitis, though he gets edgy when he gets nervous especially around other dogs. He gets jittery and barks with even friendly, quiet dogs - I guess it'll just take a little more time and acclimatization.
Stella was spayed last Tuesday and is well on the mend. She had a high temperature a few days post-op so probably an infection. A course of antibiotics has resolved that. Temperature back to normal and she's starting to run a little now. I think she's missed running for a ball more than any pain or discomfort from the operation.

Couldn't get the buggers to go out in the rain at all last night, apart from a quick pee in the garden. Was a little worried about an accident overnight so shut them in the kitchen, but they managed to hold it in. Still a challenge getting them out this morning but once we left the house they were happy as Larry. Big poops!



They like the beanbag in the box room. Ted's tail is a blur as usual.
Love these two. biggrin

Evanivitch

6,502 posts

78 months

Sunday 1st September 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
Quick update on the little darlings...

Ted is over his colitis, though he gets edgy when he gets nervous especially around other dogs. He gets jittery and barks with even friendly, quiet dogs - I guess it'll just take a little more time and acclimatization.
Stella was spayed last Tuesday and is well on the mend. She had a high temperature a few days post-op so probably an infection. A course of antibiotics has resolved that. Temperature back to normal and she's starting to run a little now. I think she's missed running for a ball more than any pain or discomfort from the operation.

Couldn't get the buggers to go out in the rain at all last night, apart from a quick pee in the garden. Was a little worried about an accident overnight so shut them in the kitchen, but they managed to hold it in. Still a challenge getting them out this morning but once we left the house they were happy as Larry. Big poops!



They like the beanbag in the box room. Ted's tail is a blur as usual.
Well done!

My in-laws have had yorkies for years, and apart from holding it in all night, that behaviour has been normal for every dog they've had (and I'm not saying they're particularly talented owners). Certainly never a fan of other dogs or inclement weather!

I'm sure with a bit of work they can improve!

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Monday 2nd September 2019
quotequote all
Who me Q said:

Madam Lexi is here
She's a cutie!

Edited by LordGrover on Monday 2nd September 10:59

HTP99

16,766 posts

96 months

Monday 2nd September 2019
quotequote all
Evanivitch said:
LordGrover said:
Quick update on the little darlings...

Ted is over his colitis, though he gets edgy when he gets nervous especially around other dogs. He gets jittery and barks with even friendly, quiet dogs - I guess it'll just take a little more time and acclimatization.
Stella was spayed last Tuesday and is well on the mend. She had a high temperature a few days post-op so probably an infection. A course of antibiotics has resolved that. Temperature back to normal and she's starting to run a little now. I think she's missed running for a ball more than any pain or discomfort from the operation.

Couldn't get the buggers to go out in the rain at all last night, apart from a quick pee in the garden. Was a little worried about an accident overnight so shut them in the kitchen, but they managed to hold it in. Still a challenge getting them out this morning but once we left the house they were happy as Larry. Big poops!



They like the beanbag in the box room. Ted's tail is a blur as usual.
Well done!

My in-laws have had yorkies for years, and apart from holding it in all night, that behaviour has been normal for every dog they've had (and I'm not saying they're particularly talented owners). Certainly never a fan of other dogs or inclement weather!

I'm sure with a bit of work they can improve!
I have 2 Yorkie X's, one isn't too fussed about going out in the rain for a wee but he will come straight back in, the other though point blank refuses, she will hide somewhere and if you try and pick her up she will savage your hand!!