Horsey horsey...

Author
Discussion

Davie_GLA

Original Poster:

6,385 posts

185 months

Thursday 24th February 2022
quotequote all
shocks said:
We need a Skint Horse Dad's support thread, Mrs deals with most of the "buy" side, I just get the bills.

Darling daughter would bankrupt me on Le Mieux given half a chance, currently, she is selling her collection of Schleich model horses she amassed over the years, which is unsurprisingly in all things horsey bringing in a decent chunk of change! No doubt to spend on some more expensive things for the nags
There's a thought. My hatchling has a million of those things and some special ones i picked up while working in Munich. Let the negotiations begin.

mywifeshusband

573 posts

184 months

Thursday 3rd March 2022
quotequote all
Out 16.2 TB has gone to a specialist vet today for an MRI scan on the front right. Of course she had to have a new Le Mieux headcollar and travel fleece for the occassions. She's been just turned out for the last six months but is still slightly lame on the right reign on a tight lunge.

Fingers crossed it's something we can cure as she's only six years old.

I can report however that a Porsche Cayenne V8 tows an Ifor 506 very easily and hills are no issue.

The jiffle king

6,660 posts

244 months

Thursday 3rd March 2022
quotequote all
mywifeshusband said:
Out 16.2 TB has gone to a specialist vet today for an MRI scan on the front right. Of course she had to have a new Le Mieux headcollar and travel fleece for the occassions. She's been just turned out for the last six months but is still slightly lame on the right reign on a tight lunge.

Fingers crossed it's something we can cure as she's only six years old.

I can report however that a Porsche Cayenne V8 tows an Ifor 506 very easily and hills are no issue.
I'm no vet but when you say lame, do you mean, hopping lame, walking a bit funny, cannot trot properly?
I've found a few things to check - Check the hoof very carefully. Are there any thorns in the frog? any in the rest of the foot? If there is a shoe on is it fitting well? Has the horse had new shoes and has the farrier cut too much away?
If you put your hands on the horse are there any areas where the horse shies away?

Vets are great but sometimes, you know your horse well and can find the sore spot

Good luck with the MRI

Davie_GLA

Original Poster:

6,385 posts

185 months

Thursday 3rd March 2022
quotequote all
mywifeshusband said:
Out 16.2 TB has gone to a specialist vet today for an MRI scan on the front right. Of course she had to have a new Le Mieux headcollar and travel fleece for the occassions. She's been just turned out for the last six months but is still slightly lame on the right reign on a tight lunge.

Fingers crossed it's something we can cure as she's only six years old.

I can report however that a Porsche Cayenne V8 tows an Ifor 506 very easily and hills are no issue.
Hope it all works out. COuld be a million things from a dodgy shoe to something more serious. I learned 2 things recently:

1. How to check if there may be an abcess in the foot (if it's hot to the touch among other things)
2. How to take the horses temperature..... Poor guy, he gave me the look of "where do you think you are putting THAT!?". COuld be worse though, one owner put the probe up the horses nose! One hoped it was before the other end. I laughed, lots.

shocks

766 posts

150 months

Tuesday 8th March 2022
quotequote all

Potential new horse inbound.

Apparently, this is a "Super Cob", why she needs that when she has a perfectly serviceable ISH is beyond me.

Think I need a new family, anyone want to trade ?

rscott

13,842 posts

177 months

Tuesday 8th March 2022
quotequote all
Spent a delightful 5 hours in A&E on Saturday, with my other half. She'd had an unplanned dismount from the horse, resulting in a broken wrist.

So guess who is now on horse duty twice a day for the next month or two... Yippee.

To be fair, it's over 25 years since her last serious accident - that was a broken shoulder blade after being dumped on the road by a different horse.

Davie_GLA

Original Poster:

6,385 posts

185 months

Tuesday 8th March 2022
quotequote all
rscott said:
Spent a delightful 5 hours in A&E on Saturday, with my other half. She'd had an unplanned dismount from the horse, resulting in a broken wrist.

So guess who is now on horse duty twice a day for the next month or two... Yippee.

To be fair, it's over 25 years since her last serious accident - that was a broken shoulder blade after being dumped on the road by a different horse.
Don't jinx it.
My daughter marks her one year with her horse tomorrow. She has already broken both wrists, had a foot crushed, hurt her neck and back, been bitten resulting in loss of one fingernail..

We're mental when you think about it.

The jiffle king

6,660 posts

244 months

Friday 25th March 2022
quotequote all
The ground is drying out and the spring grass coming through
Summer coats are on their way and .......

I'm sure that means a number of new purchases hehe

Davie_GLA

Original Poster:

6,385 posts

185 months

Friday 25th March 2022
quotequote all
We're in a bit of a crisis. Daughter has had a knock on her confidence and no amount of training or encouragement seems to help.

Most of the problems are down to how venomous the horse world is and some of her friends are no longer at the same yard.

So crunch time soon - his behaviour has changed too which could be a sign of something medical. To that end a vet visit is next but i think we will be looking to move the big guy on and have a break.

Can't afford to keep 2 going unfortunately

joema

2,601 posts

165 months

Monday 28th March 2022
quotequote all
Davie_GLA said:
We're in a bit of a crisis. Daughter has had a knock on her confidence and no amount of training or encouragement seems to help.

Most of the problems are down to how venomous the horse world is and some of her friends are no longer at the same yard.

So crunch time soon - his behaviour has changed too which could be a sign of something medical. To that end a vet visit is next but i think we will be looking to move the big guy on and have a break.

Can't afford to keep 2 going unfortunately
We've been chasing behavioural issues and tried many things; saddles, vet, teeth, physio but it's most likely the yard he's on and their routine which is making him a bit loopy.

He is a tiny bit lame on one of the hind quarters but it'd be one of those situations where we'd go down many rabbit holes and make his life worse for no real reason. Going to grass for the summer on a DIY yard for a reset.


nessiemac

1,435 posts

227 months

Friday 1st April 2022
quotequote all
Out with the camera yesterday with the daughter and some practise for competition tomorrow.

Munstead. 31st March 2022 by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Munstead. 31st March 2022 by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Munstead. 31st March 2022 by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Davie_GLA

Original Poster:

6,385 posts

185 months

Saturday 2nd April 2022
quotequote all
Superb. Those are fantastic.

I bought a new camera, a Nikon P950 which has one of these mega zoom capabilities which is great for taking photos of things like the moon or high military aircraft which are steady to track but I’m really struggling to get it to use a fast enough shutter to catch a borderline psychotic horse at full chat.

I also have a VERY old Canon EOS400D DSLR with a quick lens that could do with a service and has much better manual controls.

What kit do you use and any tips?

nessiemac

1,435 posts

227 months

Sunday 3rd April 2022
quotequote all
Davie_GLA said:
Superb. Those are fantastic.

I bought a new camera, a Nikon P950 which has one of these mega zoom capabilities which is great for taking photos of things like the moon or high military aircraft which are steady to track but I’m really struggling to get it to use a fast enough shutter to catch a borderline psychotic horse at full chat.

I also have a VERY old Canon EOS400D DSLR with a quick lens that could do with a service and has much better manual controls.

What kit do you use and any tips?
Thanks buddy.

Kit is a Canon 1Dx and Canon 70-200 F2.8 for these shots. My main photography is mountain bike racing so used to fast moving erratic subjects!

My settings were shutter at 1/1000th which is fast enough for most shots, F2.8 always and ISO depending on light.

My advice is to shoot in continuous focus, manual mode with SS and F as above and follow the rider as they approach the feature and press the shutter just before you think you need to. And keep following the rider as you shoot and follow through after as well.

And get down low!!


nessiemac

1,435 posts

227 months

Sunday 3rd April 2022
quotequote all
Daughter finished 11th out of 45 in XC yesterday so one happy rider.

All morning to prepare, hour each way in the horse box for 5 minutes riding! Crazy life!

2ND APRIL. MUNSTEAD HORSE TRIALS Flickr by nessiemac1, on Flickr

2ND APRIL. MUNSTEAD HORSE TRIALS Flickr-2 by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Davie_GLA

Original Poster:

6,385 posts

185 months

Monday 4th April 2022
quotequote all
nessiemac said:
Thanks buddy.

Kit is a Canon 1Dx and Canon 70-200 F2.8 for these shots. My main photography is mountain bike racing so used to fast moving erratic subjects!

My settings were shutter at 1/1000th which is fast enough for most shots, F2.8 always and ISO depending on light.

My advice is to shoot in continuous focus, manual mode with SS and F as above and follow the rider as they approach the feature and press the shutter just before you think you need to. And keep following the rider as you shoot and follow through after as well.

And get down low!!
Thanks mate. I got on the deck the other night on the outside of a jump while she was lunging. Stoopid nag decides it wants a close up. Closest I’ve come to death by horse since I bet too much on one.



Phooey

12,150 posts

155 months

Friday 22nd April 2022
quotequote all
Great pics above!

Daughters pony had a little baby boy at 11pm last night... 16 hours old as I type cloud9









Edited by Phooey on Friday 22 April 20:09

Davie_GLA

Original Poster:

6,385 posts

185 months

Friday 22nd April 2022
quotequote all
Aw. Baby hosses are awesome. Hilarious as they try to figure out how they are supposed to graze with legs that are freakishly long.

Happy to report that we have turned a corner with my daughters' confidence crisis. We got some help from another owner on the yard and on admitting he was in essence, very fat - the poor guy was put on a strict diet.

I'm pretty sure he plots my death in the field with his other horsey mafia mates but he's looking trim, fit, and is getting back into work.

Naturally, he needs a new saddle cos he has changed shape... FFS.

nessiemac

1,435 posts

227 months

Saturday 23rd April 2022
quotequote all
Daughter doing triple event today and took this during dressage.

One of my favourite shot's I've ever taken.

lola B and W_ by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Davie_GLA

Original Poster:

6,385 posts

185 months

Saturday 23rd April 2022
quotequote all
Superb.

ReverendCounter

6,017 posts

162 months

Sunday 24th April 2022
quotequote all
nessiemac said:
One of my favourite shot's I've ever taken.