Lands end John o groats (walking) LEJOG

Lands end John o groats (walking) LEJOG

Author
Discussion

Bannock

670 posts

7 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
Serious question OP - what brand of walking shoe do you prefer?

El stovey

42,141 posts

240 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
i4got said:
El stovey said:
Were you the guy doing the sw coastal path last year and got injured op?
No I've not done the Sw Coast Path. I've done a few over the years (Coast to Coast, South Downs, Portuguese Camino, RidgeWay etc) but touch wood not had to retire injured yet. I'm a bit older and achy-er now and not tried anything this challenging before so fingers cossed.
Great news, good luck anyway.

Hopefully the beginning of a great thread!

Austin_Metro

453 posts

25 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
OP, please do post a photo a day.

Maybe:

Miles walked:
Pies consumed:
Weather:
Moment of the day:

Would be fun to follow. Good luck!

i4got

Original Poster:

5,100 posts

55 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
Bannock said:
Serious question OP - what brand of walking shoe do you prefer?
I'm actually mainly using trainer/trail shoes - Hoka ATR Challengers - got gaiters as well.. I'm meeting up with my wife at three stages in the walk and she'll have my well worn in boots with her (Altbergs) so if I need to change over I'll have that option. I'll definitely be in the boots for the Cairngorms stages.

i4got

Original Poster:

5,100 posts

55 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
Austin_Metro said:
OP, please do post a photo a day.

Maybe:

Miles walked:
Pies consumed:
Weather:
Moment of the day:

Would be fun to follow. Good luck!
I may well do that. I'm looking forward to trying some new beers on the way as well.

The Mad Monk

9,715 posts

94 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
Pit Pony said:
Do google maps says it should take 11 days.

Given that the pennine way took me 3 weeks, I think this time Google is out by a factor of 10.

Good luck by the way
Google Maps told me:-

268 hours, 812 miles. Depends how fast and for how long each day you are going to walk.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/John+o'+Groats/...

57 Chevy

5,270 posts

212 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
Goods luck, sounds like an epic adventure

Regbuser

865 posts

12 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
Good luck !

Centre of Cornwall not as hard on the feet as the coastal path, good choice.

Rosscow

8,259 posts

140 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
Best of luck, OP! Sounds incredible and I’m quite jealous!

What total mileage is your route, and how many miles a day on average are you aiming for?

Please do keep us updated whenever you can.

Enjoy!

Edited by Rosscow on Thursday 24th March 18:39

Stan the Bat

7,425 posts

189 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
Good luck mate .

Wish I was a bit younger, would love to do this.

Keep us updated.

i4got

Original Poster:

5,100 posts

55 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
Rosscow said:
Best of luck, OP! Sounds incredible and I’m quite jealous!

What total mileage is your route, and how many miles a day on average are you aiming for?

Please do keep us updated whenever you can.

Enjoy!

Edited by Rosscow on Thursday 24th March 18:39
Total mileage will be somewhere between 1100 and 1200 miles (hopefully nearer 1100 if I don't get lost too much).

I'm aiming for around 16 or 17 mile average per day but will probably start with a bit lower mileage (13/14) and work up to it.

I'm also planning for a rest day every week or so.



Wacky Racer

35,635 posts

224 months

Thursday 24th March
quotequote all
Did the Pennine Way in 1974 and 5, great experience.

Good luck, and take plenty of photographs.


Rosscow

8,259 posts

140 months

Friday 25th March
quotequote all
i4got said:
Total mileage will be somewhere between 1100 and 1200 miles (hopefully nearer 1100 if I don't get lost too much).

I'm aiming for around 16 or 17 mile average per day but will probably start with a bit lower mileage (13/14) and work up to it.

I'm also planning for a rest day every week or so.
Awesome, good luck!

generationx

4,574 posts

82 months

Friday 25th March
quotequote all
This has the makings of an epic thread. Good luck OP!

Inspire

44 posts

156 months

Friday 25th March
quotequote all
Yes, this is amazing! Make sure you take lots of photos for the memories…. Something to be very proud of!

Thanks


Rob

Randy Winkman

11,457 posts

166 months

Friday 25th March
quotequote all
i4got said:
Bannock said:
Serious question OP - what brand of walking shoe do you prefer?
I'm actually mainly using trainer/trail shoes - Hoka ATR Challengers - got gaiters as well.. I'm meeting up with my wife at three stages in the walk and she'll have my well worn in boots with her (Altbergs) so if I need to change over I'll have that option. I'll definitely be in the boots for the Cairngorms stages.
Good luck. I'm so envious. You might be ready for this but my one experience of something similar is walking 25 miles a day for 4 days. Point is that after 2 days my feet started to swell slightly meaning that my very comfortable shoes were then half a size too small. Painful beyond belief.

interstellar

2,530 posts

123 months

Saturday 26th March
quotequote all
This is a coincidence. I enjoy walking and have just been doing 5k or 10k daily in the last week in the spring weather.

Yesterday I was thinking about LEJOG on my walk and wondered how long it would take etc and I had about 100 days in my head and was thinking could I do it one day.

I think I will just live it through your trip, I take my hat off to you, thinking about it is one thing, you are doing it!!

Chapeau to you sir, good luck and please let us know if you are doing a daily diary, update on Facebook , blog etc?

Will you be having people waking with you at many points?

EliseNick

242 posts

158 months

Saturday 26th March
quotequote all
Fantastic! This will be a superb adventure, I'm looking forward to anything you manage to post. But it will probably be nice for you to have a break from the internet along with the rest of the modern world.

I did the Pennine Way a few years ago. It was a pretty life-affirming experience.


GloverMart

10,968 posts

192 months

Saturday 26th March
quotequote all
Really just posting to wish you all the very best for this, i4got. It's something that in my head, I'm daft enough to do but my body would never cope with it now.

Would be good to get some pics along the way if you have time though.

i4got

Original Poster:

5,100 posts

55 months

Saturday 26th March
quotequote all
interstellar said:
Will you be having people waking with you at many points?
Some friends have offered to join for the odd day here and there. We'll play it by ear.