Misfits, Dad's Army Types et al...

Misfits, Dad's Army Types et al...

Author
Discussion

FiF

40,923 posts

228 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
98elise said:
AstonZagato said:
OnTheBreadline said:
I can't think of anything worse than spending that much time in airports that you know the codes by heart. Awful soul-less places, that bore the daylights out of me.

OT, but...

Working abroad (which is what they are essentlally implying that they are doing) is fun for 6 months but anything longer that that it starts to get boring and you end up damaging relationships with friends and family. Being proud of saying "Yes my wife and kids barely know me, but hey, expenses". And as for airport lounges, they're about as attractive as a Travelodge. Chairs that a thousand other blue-suited, BO'd "senior managers" have snoozed in, tiny drinks glasses, and hot-cupboard food, while your company A6 diesel with Comms Pack is in the long-stay car park, ooooooh you've really made it.

(I used to work at an airport dispatching planes, was interesting work, but my god the pathetic sights you'd see in the passenger areas at 5.30am in the middle of 10 hour delays...There isn't enough money in the world to make that sort of thing attractive, nor will I ever be jealous of it)
I (pre-covid) travelled a lot for business. A proper lot (250k miles in one year). It is difficult to name a major financial centre I haven't visited - usually at the front end of the plane.

But, by god, I agree with every word.

People would hear I was off to NY or Tokyo and coo about how lucky I was. All I could think about was schlepping through teeming airports, soulless hotel rooms and wasting time. Anyone who thinks it's glamorous has never done it.

One of the few upsides of Covid is that now people are happy to meet by Zoom.
Agreed.

I spent the best part of 2 years working away from home, living in nice hotels and decent expenses.

It was fun for about 2 weeks. Then the reality sets in of living out of a suitcase, having one room to call your own, and unable to see friends and family.
Essentially it was the main reason I snatched their hand off when a major restructuring came up, spotted they'd screwed up on procedure and could wangle a much better deal.

10 years of every other week up out of bed 3:30 am Monday, through airport security by 6am, just time for a coffee and a slash before flight call. All week in a hotel or a small flat if lucky. Back home late Friday night, if any delay then early hours Sat am. All day Sat feeling like death. Sometimes it was two weeks on the trot. Nope, enough is enough.

Some folks loved it, mainly the ones who really milked the travel allowance system to increase their income. You could spot them a mile off, never bought a drink, open wallet moths flew out.

pablo

16,428 posts

250 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
As heroic as your daring tales of negotiating airport lounges at 0400 are, where are you when CHAOS REIGNED in Bude the day a bus ran out of fuel ON A ROUNDABOUT?!


CoolHands

15,064 posts

172 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Lone police officer? Lucky the 4x4 response we’re passing (probably following him hoping to tag onto any disaster. This must have made their year).

Starfighter

4,128 posts

155 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
pablo said:
As heroic as your daring tales of negotiating airport lounges at 0400 are, where are you when CHAOS REIGNED in Bude the day a bus ran out of fuel ON A ROUNDABOUT?!

You just know that the next line on that post involves the Walts being told to fk off as the professionals are on route.

Paul Dishman

4,156 posts

214 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Starfighter said:
pablo said:
As heroic as your daring tales of negotiating airport lounges at 0400 are, where are you when CHAOS REIGNED in Bude the day a bus ran out of fuel ON A ROUNDABOUT?!

You just know that the next line on that post involves the Walts being told to fk off as the professionals are on route.
That account is Walt Central , especially the Status boards

pablo

16,428 posts

250 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
My favourite status was “Elevated” until the G7 summit in St Ives was over. So the world leaders are in town, there’s an issue and rather than approach the Army, Navy and Air Force, all of whom are present, they seek help some Land Rover enthusiasts with a penchant for weak lemon squash to assist….

Tyre Smoke

21,408 posts

238 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
pablo said:
As heroic as your daring tales of negotiating airport lounges at 0400 are, where are you when CHAOS REIGNED in Bude the day a bus ran out of fuel ON A ROUNDABOUT?!

There's one of these knobs near me. Black pick up crew cab with stickers all over it. Including it's 'fleet number '

Scabutz

4,397 posts

57 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
pablo said:
My favourite status was “Elevated” until the G7 summit in St Ives was over. So the world leaders are in town, there’s an issue and rather than approach the Army, Navy and Air Force, all of whom are present, they seek help some Land Rover enthusiasts with a penchant for weak lemon squash to assist….
Yep there has been an incident, the SAS are on standby.....but Only Me its a 4x4 specialist. I don't believe you want to do that.

Tim330

961 posts

189 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
QuartzDad said:
austinsmirk said:
I have been ridiculed at length for saying this previously

If you drive a 2.0. 2009 diesel 5 series estate: just say so

No I have a E. something blah blah blah blah.

It’s like some word cult of bell ends.

They’ll be a response on here shortly about why it’s so important to refer to the E number. Trust me , no one cares.
I'm guilty of this, know all my E's, F's and G's.

I'm also a raging hypocrite because when posters start discussing their Mercedes with W212, W124 etc. I have no clue which one is which and just think they're a massive bell...

The irony is not lost.
It's highly important. If you only mention the model eg 318 and the year without the E/F number the person your telling about your car won't know (and they surley must want to know) which generation it is as you may have a car from a year when the new model came out.
Tim F30 330d!

Sway

23,219 posts

171 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Tim330 said:
It's highly important. If you only mention the model eg 318 and the year without the E/F number the person your telling about your car won't know (and they surley must want to know) which generation it is as you may have a car from a year when the new model came out.
Tim F30 330d!
It really isn't 'highly important'. Your scenario where it might be useful in some contexts, only applies to years where the model changed gen and that only matters if it's actually pertinent.

Otherwise, it's pure wk.

Halmyre

9,783 posts

116 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Paul Dishman said:
Starfighter said:
pablo said:
As heroic as your daring tales of negotiating airport lounges at 0400 are, where are you when CHAOS REIGNED in Bude the day a bus ran out of fuel ON A ROUNDABOUT?!

You just know that the next line on that post involves the Walts being told to fk off as the professionals are on route.
That account is Walt Central , especially the Status boards
What he said.


LeadFarmer

6,268 posts

108 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Halmyre said:
I like to think they have a back up admin team (Bobs wife- Margaret) sat in a control room (her dining room table) ready to update the groups 'status'. She must have felt really good with herself updating their status to 'Deployed'. Margaret will be talking about it for hours at their next monthly meeting. Something like...

Bob - "I propose Margaret be retained as Admin Leader for the forthcoming year"
Alan - "I'll second that proposal"
Chairman Dave - "All those in favour slurp their weak lemon drinks.......motion carried".

hairy v

531 posts

121 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all

pablo

16,428 posts

250 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
LeadFarmer said:
Halmyre said:
I like to think they have a back up admin team (Bobs wife- Margaret) sat in a control room (her dining room table) ready to update the groups 'status'. She must have felt really good with herself updating their status to 'Deployed'. Margaret will be talking about it for hours at their next monthly meeting. Something like...

Bob - "I propose Margaret be retained as Admin Leader for the forthcoming year"
Alan - "I'll second that proposal"
Chairman Dave - "All those in favour slurp their weak lemon drinks.......motion carried".
Dave has a thing for Margaret though, and I think it’s reciprocated…Ever wondered why it’s always Bob who gets deployed on a Friday evening??…..

Some Gump

11,919 posts

163 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
I guess status “helping” isn’t as grand?

Or maybe he just likes Paw Patrol? My son used to like that, he talked about things “deploying” all the time!

Southerner

749 posts

29 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Some Gump said:
I guess status “helping” isn’t as grand?

Or maybe he just likes Paw Patrol? My son used to like that, he talked about things “deploying” all the time!
My kids loved Paw Patrol. I used to watch it, obviously only for essential parenting reasons. I enjoyed analysing the tactical elements of their work, but I have to say always felt the realness of the series was badly let down by them all swanning about with jetpacks and other silly gadgets, when clearly real life rescue heroes would have used a fleet of battered Disco 2s and Dacia Dusters. An obvious oversight, and a real shame frown

Scabutz

4,397 posts

57 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Halmyre said:
Paul Dishman said:
Starfighter said:
pablo said:
As heroic as your daring tales of negotiating airport lounges at 0400 are, where are you when CHAOS REIGNED in Bude the day a bus ran out of fuel ON A ROUNDABOUT?!

You just know that the next line on that post involves the Walts being told to fk off as the professionals are on route.
That account is Walt Central , especially the Status boards
What he said.

It's quite telling that none of their tweets get any real engagement. 4 likes and the odd re tweet. The 4 are probably all part of the outfit.

Mentalists.

matthias73

2,877 posts

127 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
Tim330 said:
QuartzDad said:
austinsmirk said:
I have been ridiculed at length for saying this previously

If you drive a 2.0. 2009 diesel 5 series estate: just say so

No I have a E. something blah blah blah blah.

It’s like some word cult of bell ends.

They’ll be a response on here shortly about why it’s so important to refer to the E number. Trust me , no one cares.
I'm guilty of this, know all my E's, F's and G's.

I'm also a raging hypocrite because when posters start discussing their Mercedes with W212, W124 etc. I have no clue which one is which and just think they're a massive bell...

The irony is not lost.
It's highly important. If you only mention the model eg 318 and the year without the E/F number the person your telling about your car won't know (and they surley must want to know) which generation it is as you may have a car from a year when the new model came out.
Tim F30 330d!
I'm just going to casually remind everyone that we are on a car forum... the one place where we should be free to act as nerdy as we like, when it comes to discussing cars.

If that genuinely bothers you then don't go anywhere near detailingworld, you'll have a fit laugh

jdw100

3,701 posts

141 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
Southerner said:
Some Gump said:
I guess status “helping” isn’t as grand?

Or maybe he just likes Paw Patrol? My son used to like that, he talked about things “deploying” all the time!
My kids loved Paw Patrol. I used to watch it, obviously only for essential parenting reasons. I enjoyed analysing the tactical elements of their work, but I have to say always felt the realness of the series was badly let down by them all swanning about with jetpacks and other silly gadgets, when clearly real life rescue heroes would have used a fleet of battered Disco 2s and Dacia Dusters. An obvious oversight, and a real shame frown
Who funds Paw Patrol?

That Lookout must have cost a fortune. Who pays for it all?

A simple rescue such as “ooooh Ryder help, Chickoleta has followed a trail of popcorn and is trapped on a second storey window ledge!!”

“Don’t worry Mayor Goodway, paw patrol are on a roll!”…..etc etc…

Helicopter, fire engine, a backpack that fires a zipline….all deployed.

Even the simplest rescue must cost in the region of £100k. Some of the more complex one have to be over £1m. Why no other police or fire services in the town, is it a company owned town, is that where the money comes from?

The pups are allowed to speed with impunity. Chase seems to have powers of arrest.

There seems to be zero oversight of any of their actions.

Who has funded the tech involved in the Paw Patroller? Do they have permission to have an robo-dog in charge of this vehicle at high speed?

Law unto themselves! All very shady. Are the people prisoners on an island forced to play out Ryder’s fantasies of being a hero? A megalomanic super wealthy man/child who wants to be continually ‘rescuing’ people? Uber-4x4 walt?


Edited by jdw100 on Monday 16th May 02:08

john2443

5,829 posts

188 months

Monday 16th May
quotequote all
pablo said:
As heroic as your daring tales of negotiating airport lounges at 0400 are, where are you when CHAOS REIGNED in Bude the day a bus ran out of fuel ON A ROUNDABOUT?!

What did they do? Tow it out of the way with the mighty Duster or just stand around?