RIP Photobucket...

Author
Discussion

Zad

Original Poster:

12,109 posts

192 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
(Note to mods: This is not a technical issue and is of general interest to PH contributors, Lounge seems a better place than CG&S)

It seems that Photobucket have suddenly enforced their new "No third party hosting" rule. That means no more uploading pics there and showing them on PistonHeads or any other forum or web site. Unless of course you pay the modest sum of $40 a MONTH! For that sort of money you could get a sizeable chunk of hosted web server! It seems pretty suicidal to me. Heck, my fibre, mobile phone and hosting doesn't cost me that!

I thought it was a phishing spam when I got the email, my usage is pretty minimal at the best of times, but sadly it all seems to be correct.

RobDickinson

30,212 posts

210 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
really , what? they want to charge 40 a month to host photos? nice gameplan! biggrin

NoIP

559 posts

40 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
imgur.com is your answer.

C&C

1,956 posts

177 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all

stevoknevo

1,279 posts

146 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all


PB seems a bit slow but still working for me?

Zad

Original Poster:

12,109 posts

192 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
I might as well christen my new Imgur account then! This is what people are being sent:



Note that they imply that only the 500 version will restore your access. Other cheaper plans are available, but I have no idea if that will allow full access to be restored. The implication from the email is that it would not.





Zad

Original Poster:

12,109 posts

192 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
stevoknevo said:
PB seems a bit slow but still working for me?
Is yours a paid PB account?

I use Flickr for my "proper" photos, Photobucket was just for - well - random bucket stuff. Dashcam pics, Google Maps screengrabs etc.

NoIP

559 posts

40 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
[quote=C&C]...or Flickr.com
[/quote]

Flickr isn't free once you go over your small storage limit. Well I say "small" - it is if you like your hi-res photos but if you only take photos in potato resolution then I suppose it would last a while.

I've used Imgur since just after they started and never had any issues. There are no restrictions at all once you create an account. In fact I just checked an old thread I started on an aviation site back in 2009 and my embedded imgur photos are still showing cloud9. Definitely the best of the free sites imho. The only thing I don't like is the albums. Moving your photos about is a bit clunky and unintuitive but once you figure out the knack it's easy to navigate around.

(edit: typo.)

Edited by NoIP on Thursday 29th June 13:46

PurpleMoonlight

20,158 posts

113 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
Is that legal?

Do they now own the photos and can demand payment for the uploader to access them?

I have a Photobucket account but it hasn't worked properly for some time. I guess advertisers are leaving so they are seeking to charge customers instead.

RobDickinson

30,212 posts

210 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
PurpleMoonlight said:
Do they now own the photos and can demand payment for the uploader to access them?
They dont own the photos but they dont have to serve them to 3rd party sites either

Winky151

1,242 posts

97 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
Just logged into my account to check & it said 'check our new terms & conditions' & amongst them it states:-

Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.

Read more: http://photobucket.com/terms#ixzz4lMaf4yY2

LittleBigPlanet

825 posts

97 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
And there endeth Photobucket.

Arise, King Imgur.

andy_s

16,535 posts

215 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
Bit annoying as previous pictures posted elsewhere are now blank.

Suicide.

jmorgan

35,815 posts

240 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
NoIP said:
Flickr isn't free once you go over your small storage limit. Well I say "small" - it is if you like your hi-res photos but if you only take photos in potato resolution then I suppose it would last a while.

I've used Imgur since just after they started and never had any issues. There are no restrictions at all once you create an account. In fact I just checked an old thread I started on an aviation site back in 2009 and my embedded imgur photos are still showing cloud9. Definitely the best of the free sites imho. The only thing I don't like is the albums. Moving your photos about is a bit clunky and intuitive but once you figure out the knack it's easy to navigate around.
Not that bad at 1TB for the average home user, though it only takes jpeg. How many pro pro's use it one wonders?

Keeping an eye on the rules though, once ownership is in question then I am out.

atom111

1,029 posts

181 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
I looked in to another forum yesterday and saw my avatar was the Photobucket warning thought nothing of it then looked a post here and saw same then realised smile

Annoying, guess the ads are not covering costs, have to look at other options.


DanielSan

15,030 posts

123 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
Anyone know an easy way of getting all my PB images saved onto my laptop? A load are on there that were taken from an old one just before it died

atom111

1,029 posts

181 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
Anyone know an easy way of getting all my PB images saved onto my laptop? A load are on there that were taken from an old one just before it died
You can download albums from the web interface

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/2...

TLandCruiser

2,327 posts

154 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
How long before other sites follow the same route? It would be cheaper to create and host your site just for photos

SidJames

1,399 posts

189 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
atom111 said:
DanielSan said:
Anyone know an easy way of getting all my PB images saved onto my laptop? A load are on there that were taken from an old one just before it died
You can download albums from the web interface

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/2...
May not work if your account is restricted. It's a site I haven't used for years but I logged in yesterday to see my account effectively locked as I had 3.2gb and my free limit is 2.gb. I couldn't get past the "upgrade account" screen.

However I did notice a banner ad for the smartphone app that says you get 10mb for free.

Used the app to download my library to my phone then to PC.

Job done, goodbye photobucket.

Sillyhatday

438 posts

55 months

Thursday 29th June 2017
quotequote all
Zad said:
I use Flickr for my "proper" photos, Photobucket was just for - well - random bucket stuff. Dashcam pics, Google Maps screengrabs etc.
Exactly. I'd imagine many people do. I've few threads around and it will certainly ruin those. I nearly started another on here, so I'm glad I didn't. I'll host the images elsewhere.