Things that annoy you beyond reason...(Vol 5)

Things that annoy you beyond reason...(Vol 5)

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

SeeFive

7,304 posts

178 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Vocal fry and upspeak.

On a webinar right now and the American marketing girl has both.

Either a low just about to puke rattle or a questioning uplift to her tone seeking affirmation at the end of each sentence.

Aaaaaarrrrgggh. I can’t focus on the information presented due to this annoying distraction.

j_4m

1,574 posts

9 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
OpulentBob said:
Focus drivers are clearly pricks. Simple. wink
Can confirm, considering buying a Focus and I'm a prick.

Dr Murdoch

2,522 posts

80 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
j_4m said:
Can confirm, considering buying a Focus and I'm a prick.
I own and drive a Focus, and a MASSIVE bell end!

Fastdruid

6,070 posts

97 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Today I'm mostly being annoyed by Honda's inconsiderate naming conventions.

Specifically the VFR750RK and the VFR750R-K

Two totally different bikes. One a special HRC racing version of the '86/87 VFR750F (RC24)....the other the standard (but still quite special) road going 1989 VFR750R (RC30).

MartG

14,596 posts

149 months

Monday 14th January
quotequote all
Hoverers - the people who stand close behind you waiting for you to finish at the ATM or till, waiting to leap into the space you are currently occupying, but leaving you no room to actually move out of that space without pushing them away first ( see also people who push onto public transport without letting people get off first )

Bobberoo99

9,747 posts

43 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
MartG said:
Hoverers - the people who stand close behind you waiting for you to finish at the ATM or till, waiting to leap into the space you are currently occupying, but leaving you no room to actually move out of that space without pushing them away first ( see also people who push onto public transport without letting people get off first )
This, this really annoys me, I hate people who insist on standing so close behind you in a queue that you can feel their breath on your neck!!!! I have been know to step back suddenly onto a foot and then turn around when they moan saying "Well if you weren't trying to bum me it wouldn't have happened!" Mrs Bobbers gets upset with me when I do it!!!

OpulentBob

10,714 posts

125 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
Dr Murdoch said:
j_4m said:
Can confirm, considering buying a Focus and I'm a prick.
I own and drive a Focus, and a MASSIVE bell end!
rofl this made me laugh more than it should

captain_cynic

5,073 posts

40 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
MartG said:
Hoverers - the people who stand close behind you waiting for you to finish at the ATM
Slow people at ATMs.

These are not new inventions, we've had them for 50 years. They aren't complex, you have at the very most 8 options, usually no more than 3 or 4. Its not like you accidentally go to an ATM either, you should know exactly what you're there for and how to get it by the time you arrive. There is absolutely no reason to dither at an ATM.

nonsequitur

9,912 posts

61 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
Dr Murdoch said:
j_4m said:
Can confirm, considering buying a Focus and I'm a prick.
I own and drive a Focus, and a MASSIVE bell end!
Doctor, heal thyself.

droopsnoot

6,905 posts

187 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
""Most relevant" is selected, so some replies may have been filtered out.."

Don't write it as if I made that selection, and make it easier to see how to change it to "all". I don't want half the discussion, especially only the half that FB thinks I want to see.

talksthetorque

6,274 posts

80 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
Dr Murdoch said:
I own and drive a Focus, and a MASSIVE bell end!
There's not mushroom for you here in this thread.

Balmoral

31,714 posts

193 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
Temporary traffic lights at roadworks that are no bigger than a legally parked car, that we all seem to be able to negotiate day in day out without the need for temporary traffic lights to be set up around it.

yellowjack

11,911 posts

111 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
captain_cynic said:
MartG said:
Hoverers - the people who stand close behind you waiting for you to finish at the ATM
Slow people at ATMs.

These are not new inventions, we've had them for 50 years. They aren't complex, you have at the very most 8 options, usually no more than 3 or 4. Its not like you accidentally go to an ATM either, you should know exactly what you're there for and how to get it by the time you arrive. There is absolutely no reason to dither at an ATM.
Annoying things about ATMs?

The fact that some mouth-breathing knuckle dragger is stood behind me fuming about how long it's taking me to use the machine, and blaming me for being slow when I'm one step ahead of the damned machine at every stage, and know exactly where the next menu item I'm going to need to press a button for will appear. But the machines seem to have slowed down compared to a few years ago. Presumably fraud checks or something? But whatever it is that causes them to "go slow" it isn't me!

So if you're standing there muttering to yourself that "I'd have finished and gone by now" you're a bigger nugget than I first thought, because it's still showing me the "One moment, while we check your card" screen, the one it seems to linger over for longer than strictly necessary. The one that coincidentally has advertisements for the bank's other financial products on it. Hmmmm? Advertisements being held longer on screen while my card is being "checked"?

scratchchin

Perhaps the machines are set to run deliberately slow to get more ads in front of me? But it doesn't work because my eyes are fixed on the message at the top, waiting for the menu screen to appear, and so I barely register exactly what product is being advertised to me anyway...



Aside from that, if some impatient twerp is shifting from foot to foot and audibly "huffing" behind me at the ATM, I've got a trick I can play.

ATM: Which service would you like?
I press for a mini-statement.
ATM prints and dispenses mini-statement.
I read the mini-statement.
ATM asks: Would you like another service?
I press for "yes" and am immediately back to the "which service?" screen.
I press for 'cash with receipt'.
ATM asks: What amount of cash would you like?
I don't like any of the options, so press for "other" and type in an amount of my choosing. If I'm feeling especially mischievous I'll ask for an amount ending in £5 just to get the "amount not available" message from the ATM and have to re-type the amount.
ATM dispenses cash, then takes it's sweet-ass time to print and dispense the receipt. Then it returns my card.

But it doesn't end there, though. Oh no! I need to top up my PAYG phone too, you see. So I put the card back in, and go through the "checking card"and "enter PIN" phases again.
ATM asks: Which Network do you want to top up with.
I press for my network provider.
ATM asks me to type in my telephone number.
I draw my phone from my pocket, unlock it, look up "names" in the contacts list and press 'T' for "this phone". Then I carefully read the number, type it in, and check it carefully.
ATM requires me to confirm the number.
I type it in again, and check it carefully once again, as any mistake may see my credit being put onto someone else's phone to be lost forever.
ATM slowly prints and dispenses the receipt for the transaction, and once again returns my card.

At this point, if Mr Impatient hasn't either amended his attitude, or fked off to another ATM, I may also decide to print a mini-statement for another account too.

It's a lot of fun if the impatient person is really impatient or fuming about it. And no fun at all if the next person in the ATM queue is completely chilled and giving me the space, and the ATM the time it needs to complete the transaction. The lesson in all of this? Don't bloody annoy me. Chill out, relax, and we'll all get things done just as quickly as the technology will allow...

tongue out

wink


And don't get me started on the stupid "No coins accepted - pay by card only" Car Park ticket machines at Farnborough Station. First put your card in. Then choose your tariff and confirm your selection. Then wait while the machine fails to establish a connection with the bank whereupon the transaction will fail. Try again, same result. Move to another machine, try again. So now, due to the advance of technology installed "for my convenience" it can take 5 minutes to get a simple pay-&-display parking ticket, where in the "bad old low-tech days" it took a few seconds to feed coins into the meter until the tariff was reached. Sometimes it's impossible to get the car park ticket machines to connect with the bank, so you end up at the self-service railway ticket machine, but the menu is so damned complex that you can seldom find the right button for car parking, or my fingers fail to operate the touch screen, so it's off again to the manned ticket office (if it's open) where I can wait in a queue behind some dopey Doris arguing with the ticket man about the validity of a Super-Off Peak Saver ticket on a peak hours commuter service before I finally get my tickets for travel AND a car park ticket which i now have to walk back to the car at the far end of the car park so I probably miss the next fast service to London Waterloo. What's wrong with contactless, you bunch of morons??? Or notes/coins??? It's not for my convenience, you lying bar stewards, it's penny-pinching to put the man who emptied the machines out of a job, to further YOUR profits and convenience. Ya bunch of C'nuts. You festering son's of Sweyn Forkbeard, you!

SpeckledJim

19,069 posts

198 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
yellowjack said:
Annoying things about ATMs?

The fact that some mouth-breathing knuckle dragger is stood behind me fuming about how long it's taking me to use the machine, and blaming me for being slow when I'm one step ahead of the damned machine at every stage, and know exactly where the next menu item I'm going to need to press a button for will appear. But the machines seem to have slowed down compared to a few years ago. Presumably fraud checks or something? But whatever it is that causes them to "go slow" it isn't me!

So if you're standing there muttering to yourself that "I'd have finished and gone by now" you're a bigger nugget than I first thought, because it's still showing me the "One moment, while we check your card" screen, the one it seems to linger over for longer than strictly necessary. The one that coincidentally has advertisements for the bank's other financial products on it. Hmmmm? Advertisements being held longer on screen while my card is being "checked"?

scratchchin

Perhaps the machines are set to run deliberately slow to get more ads in front of me? But it doesn't work because my eyes are fixed on the message at the top, waiting for the menu screen to appear, and so I barely register exactly what product is being advertised to me anyway...



Aside from that, if some impatient twerp is shifting from foot to foot and audibly "huffing" behind me at the ATM, I've got a trick I can play.

ATM: Which service would you like?
I press for a mini-statement.
ATM prints and dispenses mini-statement.
I read the mini-statement.
ATM asks: Would you like another service?
I press for "yes" and am immediately back to the "which service?" screen.
I press for 'cash with receipt'.
ATM asks: What amount of cash would you like?
I don't like any of the options, so press for "other" and type in an amount of my choosing. If I'm feeling especially mischievous I'll ask for an amount ending in £5 just to get the "amount not available" message from the ATM and have to re-type the amount.
ATM dispenses cash, then takes it's sweet-ass time to print and dispense the receipt. Then it returns my card.

But it doesn't end there, though. Oh no! I need to top up my PAYG phone too, you see. So I put the card back in, and go through the "checking card"and "enter PIN" phases again.
ATM asks: Which Network do you want to top up with.
I press for my network provider.
ATM asks me to type in my telephone number.
I draw my phone from my pocket, unlock it, look up "names" in the contacts list and press 'T' for "this phone". Then I carefully read the number, type it in, and check it carefully.
ATM requires me to confirm the number.
I type it in again, and check it carefully once again, as any mistake may see my credit being put onto someone else's phone to be lost forever.
ATM slowly prints and dispenses the receipt for the transaction, and once again returns my card.

At this point, if Mr Impatient hasn't either amended his attitude, or fked off to another ATM, I may also decide to print a mini-statement for another account too.

It's a lot of fun if the impatient person is really impatient or fuming about it. And no fun at all if the next person in the ATM queue is completely chilled and giving me the space, and the ATM the time it needs to complete the transaction. The lesson in all of this? Don't bloody annoy me. Chill out, relax, and we'll all get things done just as quickly as the technology will allow...

tongue out

wink
This should be a criminal offence.

Or, at the very least, a function of ATMs that only works between midnight and 5am.

yellowjack

11,911 posts

111 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
hehe

RicksAlfas

9,899 posts

189 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
What service would you like? - CASH ONLY or CASH with RECEIPT.
CASH ONLY.
......
Would you like a receipt with it?
punch

captain_cynic

5,073 posts

40 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
yellowjack said:
At this point, if Mr Impatient hasn't either amended his attitude, or fked off to another ATM, I may also decide to print a mini-statement for another account too.
So basically you are the annoying tt who cant use an ATM. If someone behind you is being impatient it's usually due to your dawdling and dithering.

Deliberately being an even more annoying tt does not help your case.

Shakermaker

9,577 posts

45 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
captain_cynic said:
So basically you are the annoying tt who cant use an ATM. If someone behind you is being impatient it's usually due to your dawdling and dithering.

Deliberately being an even more annoying tt does not help your case.
Many years ago on a night out, and when my inhibitions were somewhat loose, we were heading between pubs when my mate stopped to use the cash point. It was cold, and so in the faff of him taking his gloves off to be able to use the screen I decided to "help" him out instead. Thinking it would be funny (which it was) I typed "cash - other amount" and then as he kept saying "Don't do that Alex, stop being a dick" etc, I typed in £1,000, expecting it to just say "computer says no"

He wasn't happy, as he was using his credit card, with the high rate being applied to cash withdrawls meaning it cost him around £40 extra to withdraw that...

Lemming Train

3,397 posts

17 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
Shakermaker said:
Many years ago on a night out, and when my inhibitions were somewhat loose, we were heading between pubs when my mate stopped to use the cash point. It was cold, and so in the faff of him taking his gloves off to be able to use the screen I decided to "help" him out instead. Thinking it would be funny (which it was) I typed "cash - other amount" and then as he kept saying "Don't do that Alex, stop being a dick" etc, I typed in £1,000, expecting it to just say "computer says no"

He wasn't happy, as he was using his credit card, with the high rate being applied to cash withdrawls meaning it cost him around £40 extra to withdraw that...
£1000 from an ATM? scratchchin Unless you specifically ask for higher amounts with the card issuer I believe the max withdrawal is capped at £250.

captain_cynic

5,073 posts

40 months

Tuesday 15th January
quotequote all
Lemming Train said:
£1000 from an ATM? scratchchin Unless you specifically ask for higher amounts with the card issuer I believe the max withdrawal is capped at £250.
I think that limit is on the card issuers side.

£500 for my UK cards. However I have an Australian card with a A$3,000 limit (debit, not credit) that has happily pulled £1000 out of an ATM.

I'm sure there is a limit set by the ATM operator which will differ per operator, but I'll bet most will let you pull £1000 at a time.

Worst limit I've seen was Colombia, 600,000 peso limit (£150)... and charged you £4 per withdrawal. curse
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED