How big is where you live?

How big is where you live?

Poll: How big is where you live?

Total Members Polled: 729

London/inside the M25: 10%
Major city (approx 500k upwards): 9%
Large Town to Moderate City (100k-500k): 12%
Moderate to Large Town (20k - 100k): 16%
Large Village/Small town (5k - 20k): 25%
The arse end of nowhere!!: 28%
Author
Discussion

P5BNij

2,828 posts

44 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Largish market / semi industrial town in Warwickshire where once upon a time we had two railway stations where you could board a train and depart in one of nine different directions, one of the stations was also known as 'Mugby Junction'. Home to a four hundred year old public school where a rough old game for gentlemen with odd shaped balls was accidentally invented. Not sure of the current population but the place is expanding all the time, with good connections to the A45, A5, M1 and M6. Mostly quite affluent round here but there is an estate on the far side of town which the local rozzer-copter spends most of its time hovering over in the dead of night.

bearman68

2,485 posts

70 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Now I live in a small hamlet of about 150 or so. It's not in the arse end of nowhere, as the local 10k town is about 8 miles away, and Cardiff about 45 mins. So I'm thinking the survey might well be flawed. smile

PositronicRay

13,870 posts

121 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Largish market / semi industrial town in Warwickshire where once upon a time we had two railway stations where you could board a train and depart in one of nine different directions, one of the stations was also known as 'Mugby Junction'. Home to a four hundred year old public school where a rough old game for gentlemen with odd shaped balls was accidentally invented. Not sure of the current population but the place is expanding all the time, with good connections to the A45, A5, M1 and M6. Mostly quite affluent round here but there is an estate on the far side of town which the local rozzer-copter spends most of its time hovering over in the dead of night.
Shhh not so many clues, at least you didn't mention cement.

juice

5,241 posts

220 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
PomBstard said:
Which village? I went to school at Chew, and still like the area.

Now in a beachside suburb but not sure if I should note it as a major city (c.5m) or as being at the arse end of the planet...
Bishop Sutton smile

P5BNij

2,828 posts

44 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
PositronicRay said:
P5BNij said:
Largish market / semi industrial town in Warwickshire where once upon a time we had two railway stations where you could board a train and depart in one of nine different directions, one of the stations was also known as 'Mugby Junction'. Home to a four hundred year old public school where a rough old game for gentlemen with odd shaped balls was accidentally invented. Not sure of the current population but the place is expanding all the time, with good connections to the A45, A5, M1 and M6. Mostly quite affluent round here but there is an estate on the far side of town which the local rozzer-copter spends most of its time hovering over in the dead of night.
Shhh not so many clues, at least you didn't mention cement.
Still the town's largest employer I think, just.

Advertisement

Grahamdub

1,659 posts

81 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
juice said:
Bishop Sutton smile
Is the garage still there ? Used to be a petrol station, always had nice cars in. Owners had an Avenger Tiger and an Escort Cosworth amongst others. I used to call in on my way to work in Bath.

JakeT

2,256 posts

58 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Around 240 people live in my village. It's great. smile

Last Visit

862 posts

126 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
My village consists of 15 houses or so, a post box and lots of horses. In fact there are probably more horses than people. Oh and there's a farm too.

I love it.

had ham

3,426 posts

121 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
glenrobbo said:
magooagain said:
had ham said:
Leafy rural village of 1.5k folk In East Hertfordshire, 30 miles north of London. Rural, but very easy to get into London - 1hr 10 mins house door to desk in Blackfriars.
Gawd blimey! I remember when there were just 500.
That's why it's been renamed Much Hadham. wink
fking hell, Wiki actually has the population at 2800. Only lived here 20 years, but it's growing. Apparently in 1905 there were 11 pubs in this village. There is now 1, and that's st.

grumpy52

3,714 posts

104 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Where I live boasted the last seaside pier built in the UK .
It is thought to be where the Romans landed when they invaded .
At one time it was the busiest port in the UK . It doesn't have a harbour .
It has three castles . At one time it had two lifeboat stations .

juice

5,241 posts

220 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Grahamdub said:
Is the garage still there ? Used to be a petrol station, always had nice cars in. Owners had an Avenger Tiger and an Escort Cosworth amongst others. I used to call in on my way to work in Bath.
Doug at the Old Pit garage is there.
Brents is closing soon, they're converting it into a local supermarket/coffee shop.

tokyo_mb

352 posts

155 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Definitely the middle of nowhere... Population of the village is around 220 spread across almost 37km^2 - so about 6 people per square kilometer - properly rural...

Roughly 2 hours from Birmingham, Manchester and Cardiff. I do commute to London (weekly) - nearest station is 15 miles (and then a four hour train ride).

citizensm1th

4,182 posts

75 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
mcelliott said:
ROSSinHD said:
I live on an Island of approx 100,000 people.
I can see your island from my house.
Can you see his webbed feet and unsinkable head though?

Japveesix

3,465 posts

106 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
RVVUNM said:
Bristol (Outskirts) Fab city.
Same, nice city but I did make sure I was right on the edge. Also just fits the large city, 530,000 population apparently.

CerbWill

373 posts

56 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Arse end of nowhere and quite happy about it.

PomBstard

3,259 posts

180 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
juice said:
Grahamdub said:
Is the garage still there ? Used to be a petrol station, always had nice cars in. Owners had an Avenger Tiger and an Escort Cosworth amongst others. I used to call in on my way to work in Bath.
Doug at the Old Pit garage is there.
Brents is closing soon, they're converting it into a local supermarket/coffee shop.
I had my 18th birthday party at the village hall, though pubs in Bishop Sutton were less accommodating of younger clientele...

talksthetorque

5,657 posts

73 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Our church and chapel are no longer in use, so does that make us a village or a hamlet?

60 houses, 50 in the village itself and 10 farms and things dotted along the roads in four directions.

1 pub which is really a pub-shaped brake brothers restaurant. The interior lighting is far too bright so we don't venture. Shame.

Big village a mile away and nearest town about 8 miles away with a train to London that takes an hour and a half or your life that you'll never get back.


Grahamdub

1,659 posts

81 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
juice said:
Doug at the Old Pit garage is there.
Brents is closing soon, they're converting it into a local supermarket/coffee shop.
It will be Brents I'm thinking of. Not been over that way for a while now. Nice farm shop just before the village I seem to remember too.

Vanordinaire

3,540 posts

100 months

Sunday 13th January
quotequote all
If you climb the hill behind our house, with a powerful telescope you can see another hill in the distance. It's said that if you climb to the top of that distant hill, with another even more powerful telescope, on a clear day you can just about see the arse end of nowhere in the hazy distance.

Algarve

277 posts

19 months

Sunday 13th January
quotequote all
I reckon there is easily 20-30 people living within a mile of me.