Recommendations for a smooth whisky please.

Recommendations for a smooth whisky please.

Author
Discussion

So

Original Poster:

16,874 posts

172 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all

I am forsaking all alcohol except very dry wine and whisky. I am not a big whisky fan though, and outside of Glenmorangie I've little experience.

Can anyone suggest something really smooth to be consumed just with ice please?

Many thanks.

Big Al.

62,959 posts

208 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all

So

Original Poster:

16,874 posts

172 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
Big Al. said:
I know about that thread, Al. But it will no doubt include some that are as rough as badger's arse. I want smooooth.




sgrimshaw

6,436 posts

200 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
Haig Clubman or Haig Club, depending on budget.

Amazon usually has best price.

plasticpig

11,305 posts

175 months

Friday 15th March 2019
quotequote all
Auchentoshan is very smooth.


Blink982

512 posts

54 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
Tamnavulin is a very smooth whisky to me. Glenkinchie was one of the first whiskies that got me hooked.

devnull

2,224 posts

107 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
sgrimshaw said:
Haig Clubman or Haig Club, depending on budget.

Amazon usually has best price.
No. Just no. It’s fking highly marketed antifreeze! hehe

Cardhu Gold is my goto smooth whisky.

paua

1,469 posts

93 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
A good whisky needs no ice. If you want something cheap to mix with coke etc, then ice is appropriate.

ambuletz

8,344 posts

131 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
[quote=Blink982]Tamnavulin is a very smooth whisky to me.

yup. i agree. bought that on recommendation on here.

So

Original Poster:

16,874 posts

172 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
ambuletz]link982 said:
Tamnavulin is a very smooth whisky to me.

yup. i agree. bought that on recommendation on here.
I might give that a try, but it does sound like a prescription drug for a urinary tract infection.

Huw Janus

1,711 posts

18 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
Just curious, If you’re not a whisky fan, why not pick another spirit?

So

Original Poster:

16,874 posts

172 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
Huw Janus said:
Just curious, If you’re not a whisky fan, why not pick another spirit?
I am on a restrictive diet due to a gut problem. Whisky and very dry wines are the only alcoholic beverages allowed.


Huw Janus

1,711 posts

18 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
So said:
Huw Janus said:
Just curious, If you’re not a whisky fan, why not pick another spirit?
I am on a restrictive diet due to a gut problem. Whisky and very dry wines are the only alcoholic beverages allowed.
As I said, was just curious.
I have the occasional glass and I’m no doubt a hesthen, but a drop of water makes a huge difference.

justin220

4,308 posts

154 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
devnull said:
sgrimshaw said:
Haig Clubman or Haig Club, depending on budget.

Amazon usually has best price.
No. Just no. It’s fking highly marketed antifreeze! hehe

Cardhu Gold is my goto smooth whisky.
Agreed! Haig is awful.

Lagavulin 16 is certainly smooth, but also smokey. Lovely stuff

Stuart70

1,674 posts

133 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
Springbank is the answer

DuncsGTi

693 posts

129 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
justin220 said:
Agreed! Haig is awful.

Lagavulin 16 is certainly smooth, but also smokey. Lovely stuff
Funnily enough, I had a couple of Lagavulin 16 last night. Beautiful stuff

jet_noise

3,627 posts

132 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
I find (Irish) whiskey is in general smoother than (Scotch) whisky.
Try some Jamesons for an entry level blended experience.

plasticpig

11,305 posts

175 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
jet_noise said:
I find (Irish) whiskey is in general smoother than (Scotch) whisky.
Try some Jamesons for an entry level blended experience.
Traditionally Irish whiskey is triple distilled which makes it smoother. Not sure about all the new kids on the block as I tend to stick with Bushmills.

sgrimshaw

6,436 posts

200 months

Saturday 16th March 2019
quotequote all
devnull said:
Cardhu Gold is my goto smooth whisky.
Absolute rats piss.

Just goes to show how tastes differ.

cardigankid

7,815 posts

162 months

Sunday 17th March 2019
quotequote all
What you need to realise is that the obsession with Single Malts is a modern phenomenon. Back in the day the art of whisky was in blending to get the sort of qualities you want. For me with one or two exceptions blended are still the best and smoothest whiskies. Try Chivas Regal. Their top end product Royal Salute is the smoothest whisky I have ever experienced. Unbelievably so. Generally the longer the whisky has been aged in the cask the smoother and mellower it will be. among the single malts I would recommend Glengarioch or Balvenie. Again stick to the older ones.