Low testosterone

Author
Discussion

FNG

Original Poster:

3,673 posts

201 months

Friday 28th May 2021
quotequote all
With thanks to someone on here who made comments about low-T in another thread on another matter, I was diagnosed with low testosterone about a week ago. I've been referred to endochinology (sp?) and have an appointment at the end of June.

Symptoms:
- basically dog tired, not helped by sleeping badly, and up for the loo in the night once or twice
- lacking energy, enthusiasm, drive, motivation, pizzaz, whatever
- weight gain and hair loss apparently, so I've had it since my early 20s then laugh
- very short tempered and irritable, and in a fairly constant state of stress which I had just put down to work / kids / skint / crap car / 20 more years to retirement

As a result of quite a few concussions over my life, I was diagnosed with post concussive syndrome a few years back, had cognitive assessment, helped me understand my brain shortfalls and had counselling to work around those as best I can. However it has potentially masked some of the low-T symptoms like tiring easily, lacking motivation, depressive symptoms. So I'm not sure what to expect a new me could look like if low-T can be treated (my PCS can't be, really).

I've also got a gastric problem, stomach acid and a touch of Barrett's around the oesophagus (checked every 5 years, next one in July). I take esomeprazole which seems to counter the acid production and I have no real issues with my stomach apart from the fact it's growing quickly at the moment frown but the reason I raise it is that I'm having two bowel movements per day at the moment, which never used to be the case. Frequently am aware of my stomach and often feels like I'm an hour away from another poo, even if I've not long been.

Got the doc to also do bloods to check for prostate, come back negative. (also checked vitamins, cholesterol, diabetes, basic blood count - all ok).

So the concern I guess is that I am a bit suspicious about the prostate and the multiple stools, frequent urination. Can the low-T result be masking another issue with the prostate? Would it normally cause increase in bowel movements? And if there's any doubt around the prostate, does that preclude low-T treatment as I read somewhere?

Anyone had low-T treatment? What did it consist of? How soon did you feel any benefit? Any hilarious side effects? hehe

FNG

Original Poster:

3,673 posts

201 months

Friday 28th May 2021
quotequote all
Oh I should probably add.

Result was about 5.4 and I understand normal range is 8ish to 20ish.

I'm 48, 6'3", 109kg (I was 98kg ten months ago - but it's been hard to keep the weight down for the last decade, and feels like I'm gaining weight quicker these days).

My wife, once she heard symptoms, reckons I may have had low-T for several years and I tend to agree.

Mr Pointy

8,967 posts

136 months

Friday 28th May 2021
quotequote all

Chainsaw Rebuild

1,696 posts

79 months

Friday 28th May 2021
quotequote all
Weight lifting raises testosterone, and you want to lose some weight, so getting into weight lifting might kill two birds with one stone. Do big compound movements for best results.

FNG

Original Poster:

3,673 posts

201 months

Friday 28th May 2021
quotequote all
Many thanks, lots of good links and reading in that thread.

May as well close this one mods!

king arthur

5,044 posts

238 months

Friday 28th May 2021
quotequote all
Sorting out your poor sleeping should help if you can. It's easy to under-estimate how important sleep is to your health.

272BHP

3,077 posts

213 months

Sunday 30th May 2021
quotequote all
FNG said:
Oh I should probably add.

Result was about 5.4 and I understand normal range is 8ish to 20ish.

I'm 48, 6'3", 109kg (I was 98kg ten months ago - but it's been hard to keep the weight down for the last decade, and feels like I'm gaining weight quicker these days).

My wife, once she heard symptoms, reckons I may have had low-T for several years and I tend to agree.
That is really low, if you get a similar level on a subsequent test and there are no other underlying factors you are desperately in need of help.

How are your finances? not many people get satisfactory care with low T from the NHS. If you could commit to around 60-100 a month to sort this out then there are private clinics that will give you much better treatment and ultimately better outcomes. I know quite a few people on TRT and they are all either go private straight away or they inevitably move over from the NHS to private care after a couple of miserable years.

FNG

Original Poster:

3,673 posts

201 months

Sunday 30th May 2021
quotequote all
272BHP said:
FNG said:
Oh I should probably add.

Result was about 5.4 and I understand normal range is 8ish to 20ish.

I'm 48, 6'3", 109kg (I was 98kg ten months ago - but it's been hard to keep the weight down for the last decade, and feels like I'm gaining weight quicker these days).

My wife, once she heard symptoms, reckons I may have had low-T for several years and I tend to agree.
That is really low, if you get a similar level on a subsequent test and there are no other underlying factors you are desperately in need of help.

How are your finances? not many people get satisfactory care with low T from the NHS. If you could commit to around 60-100 a month to sort this out then there are private clinics that will give you much better treatment and ultimately better outcomes. I know quite a few people on TRT and they are all either go private straight away or they inevitably move over from the NHS to private care after a couple of miserable years.
Finances are awful at the moment, 2 kids and one income, legal fees and all sorts right now. I guess if someone could sort me out for 100 a month I’d find a way to pay for it though.

Re sleeping - getting worse, I sleep terribly, permanently knackered. Work suffering. But am bot sure how much of this is due to head injury and how much is low-T. How much is because of low-T and how much is stress due to money and legals etc.

So am hoping some treatment soon will at least let me unpick the situation somewhat.

I thought it was worth waiting 6 weeks for nhs treatment because money is tight but if the treatment is then dog toffee then perhaps I should enquire about private. I’ll be honest 100 a month is a lot less than I would have expected.

Chainsaw Rebuild

1,696 posts

79 months

Sunday 30th May 2021
quotequote all
I have been sleeping slightly poorly and Google suggested that it could be low T and that vitamin d can help. Be that from sunshine or pills.

I know your problem is far more than my mildly poor sleep a couple of nights a week.

However you could either take vit d pills or exercise outside incase it helps a bit. It’s almost free and worth a punt.

272BHP

3,077 posts

213 months

Sunday 30th May 2021
quotequote all
FNG said:
Finances are awful at the moment, 2 kids and one income, legal fees and all sorts right now. I guess if someone could sort me out for 100 a month I’d find a way to pay for it though.

Re sleeping - getting worse, I sleep terribly, permanently knackered. Work suffering. But am bot sure how much of this is due to head injury and how much is low-T. How much is because of low-T and how much is stress due to money and legals etc.

So am hoping some treatment soon will at least let me unpick the situation somewhat.

I thought it was worth waiting 6 weeks for nhs treatment because money is tight but if the treatment is then dog toffee then perhaps I should enquire about private. I’ll be honest 100 a month is a lot less than I would have expected.
Google the Leger clinic, Doncaster, this would be the cheapest option but still much better and more flexible than anything from the NHS.

Make an appointment as soon as you can. Life will improve very quickly for you I suspect.

xx99xx

1,168 posts

50 months

Sunday 30th May 2021
quotequote all
I probably mentioned this on the other thread, but it took me about 10 years, several different GPs, a few endocrinologists and countless tests to finally get some treatment on NHS.

In the end it was relatively simple, I happened to move to a new area, got a new GP and went and asked. 2 blood tests later they put me on treatment and that was that. No consultants or ongoing monitoring, nothing. So I guess it's pot luck really as every GP and endo seem to do things differently. Most GPs in my experience have no clue and don't want to take a risk and pass you off to an endocrinologist. That bit alone can take 6 months to actually see the endo.

Some people manage to get their treatment sorted privately and then transfer it to NHS to save money. That would be a quicker way of doing it.

Four Litre

1,685 posts

169 months

Monday 31st May 2021
quotequote all
Been on TRT due to a pituitary tumour for nearly 4 years now. Think the first thing is to find out why. Your endocrinologist will run some tests to see if yours is pituitary or testicular related. PM me if you have any questions.

FNG

Original Poster:

3,673 posts

201 months

Tuesday 1st June 2021
quotequote all
Lots to think about, thanks for all the replies.

I take on board that seemingly the chances of decent NHS treatment are slim, plus the fact I went to the doc with my suspicions about low-T rather than him suggesting it, but given my endo appt is only 4 weeks away I think it's probably best to wait for that and see how I feel about the consultation and next steps before deciding private or giving NHS a chance.

It's good to be forewarned about how patchy it is - plus I'll be going in armed with decent info and the knowledge that if private is needed, it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. But money is very tight, so I'm going to try the NHS route and see whether they're convincing.

Four Litre

1,685 posts

169 months

Tuesday 1st June 2021
quotequote all
FNG said:
Lots to think about, thanks for all the replies.

I take on board that seemingly the chances of decent NHS treatment are slim, plus the fact I went to the doc with my suspicions about low-T rather than him suggesting it, but given my endo appt is only 4 weeks away I think it's probably best to wait for that and see how I feel about the consultation and next steps before deciding private or giving NHS a chance.

It's good to be forewarned about how patchy it is - plus I'll be going in armed with decent info and the knowledge that if private is needed, it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive. But money is very tight, so I'm going to try the NHS route and see whether they're convincing.
If you go straight NHS is very very hit and miss and their understanding of TRT is limited at best. Dependent on where you live you will be offered different treatments (if lucky).

pidsy

6,960 posts

134 months

Wednesday 9th June 2021
quotequote all
So… this thread is pretty timely.

Ive looked at the other threads linked and done a lot of googling - low T would certainly explain some issues I’ve been having for the past couple of years.
Just turned 40 and have pretty much all of the typical symptoms.

Spoken to my GP off the back of this thread and already have little confidence.
So googling the private route and it seems to be a minefield -

I’m London based but heard good things about

The Ledger Clinic but they’re based in Doncaster.
“Balance my hormones” are all over the internet but something seems a bit odd about them.

Anyone have any recommendations for a London centre?
The obvious answer is Harley street but most don’t divulge their costs and while I’m happy to go private, I don’t want to get bent over for it.

Animal

4,999 posts

245 months

Wednesday 9th June 2021
quotequote all
Like you, I suspected I had low T but I was lucky in that I had the option of a private health check through work so had a BUPA appt. T levels weren't covered but I asked for this to be tested and the cost was about £40.

As it turned out, my levels were normal.

pidsy

6,960 posts

134 months

Wednesday 9th June 2021
quotequote all
I’m going to book the medi-check blood test then go from there I think.


xx99xx

1,168 posts

50 months

Wednesday 9th June 2021
quotequote all
pidsy said:
I’m going to book the medi-check blood test then go from there I think.
Some say the home finger prick test are not very accurate so you may be better off going to a clinic for a proper sample via needle. Doesn't cost that much more.

https://themenshealthclinic.co.uk/capillary-vs-ven...

pidsy

6,960 posts

134 months

Wednesday 9th June 2021
quotequote all
The do a proper test through one of their partner clinics it £35 for the testosterone test.

General consensus is that the finger prick test isn’t worth doing.

I’m waiting to hear back from the Ledger Clinic to see if they can do everything over zoom or teams.

budgie smuggler

4,545 posts

136 months

Wednesday 9th June 2021
quotequote all
272BHP said:
FNG said:
Oh I should probably add.

Result was about 5.4 and I understand normal range is 8ish to 20ish.

I'm 48, 6'3", 109kg (I was 98kg ten months ago - but it's been hard to keep the weight down for the last decade, and feels like I'm gaining weight quicker these days).

My wife, once she heard symptoms, reckons I may have had low-T for several years and I tend to agree.
That is really low, if you get a similar level on a subsequent test and there are no other underlying factors you are desperately in need of help.

How are your finances? not many people get satisfactory care with low T from the NHS. If you could commit to around 60-100 a month to sort this out then there are private clinics that will give you much better treatment and ultimately better outcomes. I know quite a few people on TRT and they are all either go private straight away or they inevitably move over from the NHS to private care after a couple of miserable years.
Mine was about that level (age 36) and I had to basically beg to get put on TRT.

I would agree about the NHS. Honestly my opinion is that men's health is poorly understood and basically not cared about within the service.
I'm on the lowest possible dose, yet every time I see the consultant he tries to get me to come off it. I'm sick of it.