The Official Liverpool FC Thread [Vol 15]

The Official Liverpool FC Thread [Vol 15]

Author
Discussion

NRS

13,489 posts

139 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Chris Stott said:
Body and attitude/character.

Steveie alludes to it in his autobiography... sort of says Sturridge only needs to feel the slightest twinge then he’s off to see the trainer and won’t play until he feels 100%.

He’s scored some brilliant goals for us, but he’s spent far too much time injured.
If you kept getting injured you'd do that though. I thought people twisting ankles was all a lot of rubbish for the most part until I went over it once badly, and can still feel weaker now. If your body lets you down you'll not trust it and want to look after it as much as possible.

ChocolateFrog

3,721 posts

111 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
It's true. I've had a bad knee injury which included a compete MCL tear, similar to AOC. I still can't run 3 years and 3 surgeries on so I can see why they're taking their time with him. I genuinely don't know how he'll get over the mental aspect the next time he goes in for a 50:50.

ferrisbueller

22,251 posts

165 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
NRS said:
Chris Stott said:
Body and attitude/character.

Steveie alludes to it in his autobiography... sort of says Sturridge only needs to feel the slightest twinge then he’s off to see the trainer and won’t play until he feels 100%.

He’s scored some brilliant goals for us, but he’s spent far too much time injured.
If you kept getting injured you'd do that though. I thought people twisting ankles was all a lot of rubbish for the most part until I went over it once badly, and can still feel weaker now. If your body lets you down you'll not trust it and want to look after it as much as possible.
I'm not sure I've seen Sturridge sprint since his WBA debut when he got injured, again. His body has continuously let him down and impacted his career massively. It's a shame but in the world of professional/elite sport it means you're flawed. I think he's a brilliant player, but he can't cut it in a Klopp team playing to its fullest.

Flip Martian

10,492 posts

128 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
The best do get over it though. I remember Stevie G saying that in his book about Sturridge. I think Klopp has had an impact on Sturridge though - he's been less "unavailable" in the last year or so than he ever was before. I assumed he'd basically been told to have more self belief and be a bit tougher mentally.

We often forget these are elite athletes - their livelihoods depend on their fitness. Remember Carragher being out for 6 months after Lucas Neill broke his leg in 2003. Never let it affect him. Most players - from what I've read - are in pain most of the time during the season. Aches and pains are a regular consequence of running your legs off for 90 minutes and then training most days.

NRS

13,489 posts

139 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Flip Martian said:
The best do get over it though. I remember Stevie G saying that in his book about Sturridge. I think Klopp has had an impact on Sturridge though - he's been less "unavailable" in the last year or so than he ever was before. I assumed he'd basically been told to have more self belief and be a bit tougher mentally.

We often forget these are elite athletes - their livelihoods depend on their fitness. Remember Carragher being out for 6 months after Lucas Neill broke his leg in 2003. Never let it affect him. Most players - from what I've read - are in pain most of the time during the season. Aches and pains are a regular consequence of running your legs off for 90 minutes and then training most days.
That's rubbish though. There's a massive difference between going through a bit of pain to keep fitness up say, and having a body that fails and results in multiple injuries. Some people are more susceptible to certain types of injury. If it's just about running through the pain then anyone could be an elite athlete if they just tried hard enough, In reality some bodies are genetically better at sports than others. Some are better at sports in performance, but always get injured due to genetic stuff that makes them more likely to be injured. A simple thing could be over or underpronating feet - which makes certain injuries more common. Someone with "normal" feet saying just pull yourself together and make an effort won't understand. Some genetic traits will effectively wear out a body more quickly.
Advertisement

Flip Martian

10,492 posts

128 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
NRS said:
That's rubbish though. There's a massive difference between going through a bit of pain to keep fitness up say, and having a body that fails and results in multiple injuries. Some people are more susceptible to certain types of injury. If it's just about running through the pain then anyone could be an elite athlete if they just tried hard enough, In reality some bodies are genetically better at sports than others. Some are better at sports in performance, but always get injured due to genetic stuff that makes them more likely to be injured. A simple thing could be over or underpronating feet - which makes certain injuries more common. Someone with "normal" feet saying just pull yourself together and make an effort won't understand. Some genetic traits will effectively wear out a body more quickly.
It's not rubbish, you'r missing the point. The inference from Gerrard was that Sturridge would get over injuries but then run off to the physios/medics as soon as he felt anything, even if it was nothing. He'd only feel like playing when he felt no pain or twinges at all. And the reality is, most players play with twinges and aches - its a normal part of footy. That's not denigrating his genuine injuries.

Pommy

9,413 posts

154 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Flip Martian said:
NRS said:
That's rubbish though. There's a massive difference between going through a bit of pain to keep fitness up say, and having a body that fails and results in multiple injuries. Some people are more susceptible to certain types of injury. If it's just about running through the pain then anyone could be an elite athlete if they just tried hard enough, In reality some bodies are genetically better at sports than others. Some are better at sports in performance, but always get injured due to genetic stuff that makes them more likely to be injured. A simple thing could be over or underpronating feet - which makes certain injuries more common. Someone with "normal" feet saying just pull yourself together and make an effort won't understand. Some genetic traits will effectively wear out a body more quickly.
It's not rubbish, you'r missing the point. The inference from Gerrard was that Sturridge would get over injuries but then run off to the physios/medics as soon as he felt anything, even if it was nothing. He'd only feel like playing when he felt no pain or twinges at all. And the reality is, most players play with twinges and aches - its a normal part of footy. That's not denigrating his genuine injuries.
Klopp kinda took the piss about Sturridges lack of pain threshold...

NRS

13,489 posts

139 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Flip Martian said:
It's not rubbish, you'r missing the point. The inference from Gerrard was that Sturridge would get over injuries but then run off to the physios/medics as soon as he felt anything, even if it was nothing. He'd only feel like playing when he felt no pain or twinges at all. And the reality is, most players play with twinges and aches - its a normal part of footy. That's not denigrating his genuine injuries.
But it's missing the point that if you have an issue with your body then a small pain might very well be the only indication your body is about to fail yet again. Judging by the number of times he got re-injured shortly after it seemed something is wrong with his body. Whereas if your body is working fine you can just run through that pain and be fine. As I've said, until I screwed up an ankle ligament and have seen what it's like then I just thought others were moaning about nothing when they were avoiding further injuries/ got injured easily again ("ah, just moaning to get attention").

type-r

7,067 posts

151 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
m3sye said:
Won't be long until Trent can be added to that list:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/01/trent-alexan...

Pommy

9,413 posts

154 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
type-r said:
m3sye said:
Won't be long until Trent can be added to that list:

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/01/trent-alexan...
Sorry to be a negative but contracts mean jackst.

Look at Coutinho.

I just hope they built in some good clauses

type-r

7,067 posts

151 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
Pommy said:
Sorry to be a negative but contracts mean jackst.

Look at Coutinho.

I just hope they built in some good clauses
True. However it means Liverpool protect their investment and can command a decent fee should they feel the need to "do a Coutinho". We dont want to be in situation like Man Utd where many of of their top players are coming to end of their contracts, having paid vast transfer fees for them and now they can just leave on a free.

ferrisbueller

22,251 posts

165 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
NRS said:
Flip Martian said:
It's not rubbish, you'r missing the point. The inference from Gerrard was that Sturridge would get over injuries but then run off to the physios/medics as soon as he felt anything, even if it was nothing. He'd only feel like playing when he felt no pain or twinges at all. And the reality is, most players play with twinges and aches - its a normal part of footy. That's not denigrating his genuine injuries.
But it's missing the point that if you have an issue with your body then a small pain might very well be the only indication your body is about to fail yet again. Judging by the number of times he got re-injured shortly after it seemed something is wrong with his body. Whereas if your body is working fine you can just run through that pain and be fine. As I've said, until I screwed up an ankle ligament and have seen what it's like then I just thought others were moaning about nothing when they were avoiding further injuries/ got injured easily again ("ah, just moaning to get attention").
I'm no elite athlete but niggles can be seriously detrimental.

It may not be true, I never chased it up, but I have read that elite athletes, particularly those who depend on fast twitch, have to gauge their efforts so as not to break down i.e. they never operate to their full potential as their bodies couldn't cope with it. I think that was in the context of Usain Bolt, Michael Johnson and such.

Sturridge certainly does not sprint like he used to. Perhaps that's a self preservation mechanism in his own mind, perhaps he's been told to be mindful of it. Certainly he is very injury prone and it will ultimately end his career earlier than it should IMO. It has already had a massive negative impact on his career to date.

wjb

2,976 posts

69 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
type-r said:
Pommy said:
Sorry to be a negative but contracts mean jackst.

Look at Coutinho.

I just hope they built in some good clauses
True. However it means Liverpool protect their investment and can command a decent fee should they feel the need to "do a Coutinho". We dont want to be in situation like Man Utd where many of of their top players are coming to end of their contracts, having paid vast transfer fees for them and now they can just leave on a free.
I think Arsenal are the biggest offenders here, the amount of players who have walked out for free or for minimal amounts in the last 12-18 months of their contracts over the last decade or so is negligent, at best.

Pommy

9,413 posts

154 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
ferrisbueller said:
NRS said:
Flip Martian said:
It's not rubbish, you'r missing the point. The inference from Gerrard was that Sturridge would get over injuries but then run off to the physios/medics as soon as he felt anything, even if it was nothing. He'd only feel like playing when he felt no pain or twinges at all. And the reality is, most players play with twinges and aches - its a normal part of footy. That's not denigrating his genuine injuries.
But it's missing the point that if you have an issue with your body then a small pain might very well be the only indication your body is about to fail yet again. Judging by the number of times he got re-injured shortly after it seemed something is wrong with his body. Whereas if your body is working fine you can just run through that pain and be fine. As I've said, until I screwed up an ankle ligament and have seen what it's like then I just thought others were moaning about nothing when they were avoiding further injuries/ got injured easily again ("ah, just moaning to get attention").
I'm no elite athlete but niggles can be seriously detrimental.

It may not be true, I never chased it up, but I have read that elite athletes, particularly those who depend on fast twitch, have to gauge their efforts so as not to break down i.e. they never operate to their full potential as their bodies couldn't cope with it. I think that was in the context of Usain Bolt, Michael Johnson and such.

Sturridge certainly does not sprint like he used to. Perhaps that's a self preservation mechanism in his own mind, perhaps he's been told to be mindful of it. Certainly he is very injury prone and it will ultimately end his career earlier than it should IMO. It has already had a massive negative impact on his career to date.
Problem with Sturridge isn’t his injuries but the fact he just doesn’t seem to care when in the pitch, doesn’t make an effort and doesn’t fit our play.

Always thankful for what he did but he’s our past not our future

Flip Martian

10,492 posts

128 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
NRS said:
But it's missing the point that if you have an issue with your body then a small pain might very well be the only indication your body is about to fail yet again. Judging by the number of times he got re-injured shortly after it seemed something is wrong with his body. Whereas if your body is working fine you can just run through that pain and be fine. As I've said, until I screwed up an ankle ligament and have seen what it's like then I just thought others were moaning about nothing when they were avoiding further injuries/ got injured easily again ("ah, just moaning to get attention").
I get the ankle thing, I really do. Small ankle break and ligament damage meant it was 18 months before I walked without a limp and a few years before I could walk on uneven ground without wincing about the ligaments... Although I was far older than most footballers to be fair. Given that Klopp took the mickey out of Sturridge, however injured and genuinely fearful he was - he also had a rep for being over cautious.

Flip Martian

10,492 posts

128 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
type-r said:
Pommy said:
Sorry to be a negative but contracts mean jackst.

Look at Coutinho.

I just hope they built in some good clauses
True. However it means Liverpool protect their investment and can command a decent fee should they feel the need to "do a Coutinho". We dont want to be in situation like Man Utd where many of of their top players are coming to end of their contracts, having paid vast transfer fees for them and now they can just leave on a free.
Indeed. Looking at a list of long contracts doesn't have us thinking "yay, they'll all be here for the next 5 years". It means "yay, they've committed for long periods of time - which gives us stability and the protection of our investments if bigger clubs come in for them".

You could also argue if we can win the Prem, and add the CL to that (or at least be challenging for it) by next season, and keep that consistency of being a banker for top 2 and trophies (we're not there yet, I know) then there won't BE that many bigger clubs that could lure players away (unless it's for money).

Ructions

3,174 posts

59 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all



Liverpool make three changes for this afternoon's clash with Crystal Palace as James Milner, Joel Matip and Naby Keita come into Jürgen Klopp's line-up.



pinchmeimdreamin

7,173 posts

156 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
time for Keita to start showing what he can do hopefully.

wjb

2,976 posts

69 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
Milner will need help at RB with Zaha, hopefully we'll get the win.

wjb

2,976 posts

69 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
And hopefully our game is a bit less exciting than the Wolves/Leicester one I just watched!!