Faulty Optimate Battery Charger Fixed

Faulty Optimate Battery Charger Fixed

Author
Discussion

boy lex

Original Poster:

2 posts

91 months

Tuesday 3rd December 2013
quotequote all
I just wanted to share this on the off-chance that it helps someone else with the same problem.

My bike went flat the other day and so I reached for the optimate and plugged it in. 24 hours later the light is still yellow/amber saying it's charging. 48 hours later, the same. Voltage reads 12.25V across the battery at all times.

I tried a few things like wiggling connectors, and eventually replacing the apparently sometimes dodgy connectors entirely, but nothing was working.

I was looking up new chargers and didn't fancy shelling out for a new one, so I took the old one apart...

Turns out one of the capacitors was shot. The big 2200µF job that I guess filters the charge current. Not hugely obvious, but a small amount of electrolyte residue at the bottom.

Swapped it out and bingo - battery voltage rising nicely.

Cost of new charger - £50

Cost of new capacitor - £1.09

While I was looking for the answer I saw that a few people had the same issue, but they'd all ended up back at the shop/in the bin, so hopefully the google spiders will do their job and this may end up being of use to someone!

Cheers!!

mudster

742 posts

211 months

Tuesday 3rd December 2013
quotequote all
I've just bought a new Optimate 3+ to replace my original which has gone faulty. I'm going to take the old one apart now and have a look and see if I can fix it. It'll do as a spare.

Thanks for the post.

Oldred_V8S

3,628 posts

205 months

Wednesday 4th December 2013
quotequote all
boy lex said:
I just wanted to share this on the off-chance that it helps someone else with the same problem.

My bike went flat the other day and so I reached for the optimate and plugged it in. 24 hours later the light is still yellow/amber saying it's charging. 48 hours later, the same. Voltage reads 12.25V across the battery at all times.

I tried a few things like wiggling connectors, and eventually replacing the apparently sometimes dodgy connectors entirely, but nothing was working.

I was looking up new chargers and didn't fancy shelling out for a new one, so I took the old one apart...

Turns out one of the capacitors was shot. The big 2200µF job that I guess filters the charge current. Not hugely obvious, but a small amount of electrolyte residue at the bottom.

Swapped it out and bingo - battery voltage rising nicely.

Cost of new charger - £50

Cost of new capacitor - £1.09

While I was looking for the answer I saw that a few people had the same issue, but they'd all ended up back at the shop/in the bin, so hopefully the google spiders will do their job and this may end up being of use to someone!

Cheers!!
Nice one thumbup Filed for later

Ewan-73h4r

1 posts

50 months

Wednesday 24th May 2017
quotequote all
Hi

i hope you're still around! - same issue so looked for 2000uf capacitor online - what operating voltage cos there seems to be many options (ps non techy but want to try it and can solder)

cheers

Ewan

Paper Lawyer

220 posts

196 months

Wednesday 24th May 2017
quotequote all
My Ctech optimate packed up a few weeks ago and, after some internet investigations, I discovered the selector switch was the issue. A very cheap fix via the wonders of ebay to buy a replacement switch and solder it on (even with my poor soldering skills). Read the comments to this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1NRN2u8d5E

PositronicRay

21,937 posts

150 months

Thursday 25th May 2017
quotequote all
Paper Lawyer said:
My Ctech optimate packed up a few weeks ago and, after some internet investigations, I discovered the selector switch was the issue. A very cheap fix via the wonders of ebay to buy a replacement switch and solder it on (even with my poor soldering skills). Read the comments to this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1NRN2u8d5E
Thanks, bookmarked.

My button has started to fail, it takes multiple pushes to change functions, wondering if a squirt of switch cleaner may help.

Anyone know of a neater solution than a dangling switch.

m996tt

390 posts

178 months

Thursday 25th May 2017
quotequote all
Went to use my Optimate the other Day and found it dead, checked fuse and found it ok.

So opened it up to have a look see inside and found a dead spider fried inside. There
was no fuses inside so I peeled back the cover on the transformer and found a thermal fuse
that had blown, just a heads up in case yours is kaput.

boy lex

Original Poster:

2 posts

91 months

Thursday 25th May 2017
quotequote all
Ewan-73h4r said:
Hi

i hope you're still around! - same issue so looked for 2000uf capacitor online - what operating voltage cos there seems to be many options (ps non techy but want to try it and can solder)

cheers

Ewan
Youch! Do you know what. I must be getting old cos it's only 4 years later and I only vaguely remember doing this! Sorry - wish I could be more helpful!

I would have thought there's a voltage marked on the capacitor that you're removing - so as long as you're above that it should be fine.

s8mac

1 posts

1 month

Thursday 10th June
quotequote all
m996tt said:
Went to use my Optimate the other Day and found it dead, checked fuse and found it ok.

So opened it up to have a look see inside and found a dead spider fried inside. There
was no fuses inside so I peeled back the cover on the transformer and found a thermal fuse
that had blown, just a heads up in case yours is kaput.
just did the same to mine ad it dont work can you remember wher the duse was please i know undr the black but where any chance please