Impact wrenches

Author
Discussion

KTMsm

23,022 posts

236 months

Tuesday 16th November 2021
quotequote all
pcn1 said:
I'm interested in getting an impact gun for working on the suspension of my car.

Thing that concerns me is, as I'm just a home spanner man it will get very occasional use, so when the battery dies will I still be able to buy a replacement ?
Manufacturers like to make their stuff obsolete to get you buy new, and I'd hate to throw away a good tool in 5 years time just because I cant replace the battery !
Buy a corded one


darreni

2,923 posts

243 months

Tuesday 16th November 2021
quotequote all
Gerradi said:
I have a DeWalt DCF899P2 950Nm, heavy but so far nothing beats it, Not cheap but very much worth it.
have to fit a Driveshaft to a Diesel megane this week , so much easier with this.
This, i have one & it's superb. Makes jobs so much quicker.


blueST

3,618 posts

189 months

Tuesday 16th November 2021
quotequote all
pcn1 said:
I'm interested in getting an impact gun for working on the suspension of my car.

Thing that concerns me is, as I'm just a home spanner man it will get very occasional use, so when the battery dies will I still be able to buy a replacement ?
Manufacturers like to make their stuff obsolete to get you buy new, and I'd hate to throw away a good tool in 5 years time just because I cant replace the battery !
You could always buy a 240v mains one. That's what I did as it gets used about once a year. Mines Liddl parkside jobby, but Clarke do them amongst others. I already have Milwaukee batteries, but it just not worth me buying even the bare tool for that amount of use.

The Road Crew

3,845 posts

133 months

Tuesday 16th November 2021
quotequote all
I have the 899 Dewalt,as I have a few other Dewalt tools for DIY.
I don't use it very often but it's worth its weight in gold when I do, even just to whip off a few wheel nuts - saves a lot of time and effort.

Ian Geary

3,014 posts

165 months

Saturday 20th November 2021
quotequote all
I bought a vonhaus 420nm corded impact wrench.

It is identical in every way to the Clarke cel1000, but £55 not £80+

I went with a corded one because I can't imagine a situation where I would be dismantling a car not in my driveway.

I had been struggling to snug up an exhaust bolt with difficult access with 1/2 extension bars and a cheater pipe. The wrench removed the nut in 2 seconds, and retightened it in 2 more.

It's quite heavy though, and is quite bulky

Plus you'll need to buy impact sockets if you don't already have them.


Ian

Scootersp

2,077 posts

161 months

Wednesday 24th November 2021
quotequote all
Anyone thinking about getting a battery impact wrench just do it! I got the stubby Milwaukee M12 impact wrench and it's small enough to get most places and really takes the effort out of things and time and frustration are way down.

It's got a few settings so you don't always have to be in 'animal' mode and it's even got a torque sensing one where it sense the increase or reduction in torque and stops.

I'm annoyed I held off so long. Now bought a drill and looked at lots of other stuff the battery power now is impressive (way better than older tools that I think negatively impacted my opinion of cordless tools)


normalbloke

5,249 posts

192 months

Wednesday 24th November 2021
quotequote all
Scootersp said:
Anyone thinking about getting a battery impact wrench just do it! I got the stubby Milwaukee M12 impact wrench and it's small enough to get most places and really takes the effort out of things and time and frustration are way down.

It's got a few settings so you don't always have to be in 'animal' mode and it's even got a torque sensing one where it sense the increase or reduction in torque and stops.

I'm annoyed I held off so long. Now bought a drill and looked at lots of other stuff the battery power now is impressive (way better than older tools that I think negatively impacted my opinion of cordless tools)

Why stop at one? I’ve got the Milwaukee 18v stuff. I’ve got 2 impact wrenches (1/2”+1” drive) and a 1/4” impact driver. I have socket adapters for the impact driver, it is brushless and tiny, and that alone will happily undo wheelnuts. If things get tricky, the 1” drive will do 2400 ft/lb. But even that beast can be controlled using the settings to whatever torque you want, they are all so controllable. I even use the 1/4” impact driver for drilling sometimes.

Cyb3rDud3

198 posts

199 months

Friday 3rd December 2021
quotequote all
Another vote for the Milwaukee. I have the M12 Compact and it is compact, so easy to hold single hand and get underneath or behind things. It has been a 'lifesaver' in a number of situations.

DKL

4,021 posts

195 months

Sunday 9th January
quotequote all
darreni said:
Gerradi said:
I have a DeWalt DCF899P2 950Nm, heavy but so far nothing beats it, Not cheap but very much worth it.
have to fit a Driveshaft to a Diesel megane this week , so much easier with this.
This, i have one & it's superb. Makes jobs so much quicker.
I'm going to revive this thread. I've been trying to remove a anti-roll bar link bolt and so far failing. It's the bottom one so without underneath access it's not easy to get leverage. As its the passenger side I suppose it gets more general crud.
I have a sealey 24v impact wrench which is rated at 440nm but frankly is useless, it struggles with wheelnuts at 105nm or so. I managed 3 of the 5 wheelnuts but it wasn't going to do the other 2. Needless to say it didn't touch the anti roll bar nut.
Anyway I shall ask a friend with a (commercial) garage to assist and I shall be interested to see how easily (or not I suppose) he gets it loose.

But going forward one of these dewalt 899 seems ideal but I am concerned about weight. When I bought impact drivers and drills I bought the 12v bosch blue range and rather hoped I hadn't made an error and should have bought the larger one. But it's been brilliant and part of that is that it is small and light.
My sealey is about 2kg which is a tad less than the dewalt.
Is there a lighter one that gets anyway near the headline figures of the dewalt?
I also feel maybe a corded one would be wise as I don't use it that much and I am concerned long term about battery charge and availability of batteries.
However the corded ones seem a bit behind the curve. Again any corded ones with close to the dewalts figures at about that price.
Interestingly screwfix and 2 versions of the 899 but only one (the cheaper one) offers the 1600nm setting.
Are there different versions with similar model numbers?
I'm hoping to do a bit more car work this year so decent tools are a must and I'm getting older!

Jakg

2,859 posts

141 months

Sunday 9th January
quotequote all
DKL said:
Interestingly screwfix and 2 versions of the 899 but only one (the cheaper one) offers the 1600nm setting.
Are there different versions with similar model numbers?
Theres a detent ring and a hog ring versions.

The dent one is for scaffolding etc where you really don't want the socket coming loose - https://support.dewalt.com/hc/en-us/articles/36001...

Get the hog ring one.

The Road Crew

3,845 posts

133 months

Sunday 9th January
quotequote all
They are strong but they are heavy, and physically large - not easy to use in tight spaces. The prefect excuse to get the smaller ⅜ version as well!

darreni

2,923 posts

243 months

Sunday 9th January
quotequote all
The 899 is heavy, but its not like you'll be walking around with it attached to a tool belt all day.

As it's so good at what it does, the job takes less time, so you dont need to hold it for so long of that makes sense.

DKL

4,021 posts

195 months

Sunday 9th January
quotequote all
I had no idea about the fittings so thanks for that. Looks like it might be what I'm after.
Thanks all.

TEKNOPUG

16,231 posts

178 months

Monday 10th January
quotequote all
DKL said:
I'm going to revive this thread. I've been trying to remove a anti-roll bar link bolt and so far failing. It's the bottom one so without underneath access it's not easy to get leverage. As its the passenger side I suppose it gets more general crud.
I have a sealey 24v impact wrench which is rated at 440nm but frankly is useless, it struggles with wheelnuts at 105nm or so. I managed 3 of the 5 wheelnuts but it wasn't going to do the other 2. Needless to say it didn't touch the anti roll bar nut.
Anyway I shall ask a friend with a (commercial) garage to assist and I shall be interested to see how easily (or not I suppose) he gets it loose.

But going forward one of these dewalt 899 seems ideal but I am concerned about weight. When I bought impact drivers and drills I bought the 12v bosch blue range and rather hoped I hadn't made an error and should have bought the larger one. But it's been brilliant and part of that is that it is small and light.
My sealey is about 2kg which is a tad less than the dewalt.
Is there a lighter one that gets anyway near the headline figures of the dewalt?
I also feel maybe a corded one would be wise as I don't use it that much and I am concerned long term about battery charge and availability of batteries.
However the corded ones seem a bit behind the curve. Again any corded ones with close to the dewalts figures at about that price.
Interestingly screwfix and 2 versions of the 899 but only one (the cheaper one) offers the 1600nm setting.
Are there different versions with similar model numbers?
I'm hoping to do a bit more car work this year so decent tools are a must and I'm getting older!
2kg with battery: https://uk.ryobitools.eu/diy-power-tools/drilling-...