Winter storage advice?

Winter storage advice?

Author
Discussion

Henry Fiddleton

1,571 posts

150 months

Thursday 11th November 2021
quotequote all
Also worth keeping an eye on any kind of mice paying a visit on your car. A friend had a mouse in his car whilst stored for a few months - was pretty much an insurance write off with the wiring.

I use an electric ultra sonic mouse deterrent in the garage - hope it works!


Alex_225

4,739 posts

174 months

Thursday 11th November 2021
quotequote all
I have stored a few cars for long periods of time and not had any adverse issues.

Full tank of fuel as mentioned should minimise moisture in the tank

If using a cover then make sure the car is meticulously clean. Buy a breathable cover which will allow moisture to escape and ensure the cover is securely in place. I recommend a cover net that will prevent the cover ballooning and lifting (Coveryourcar.co.uk sell them)

Trickle charger on the battery (Ctek can just be connected and left) or disconnect the battery and remove it. I've killed many batteries leaving them connected and allowing them to discharge way too far.

Over inflate tyres to prevent flat spots.

Some say to run the engine up to temperature every so often. I've read other comments about the heating cooling causing condensation. I've left mine without running for lengths of time to no ill effect.

Jonny TVR

4,159 posts

254 months

Thursday 11th November 2021
quotequote all
Henry Fiddleton said:
Also worth keeping an eye on any kind of mice paying a visit on your car. A friend had a mouse in his car whilst stored for a few months - was pretty much an insurance write off with the wiring.

I use an electric ultra sonic mouse deterrent in the garage - hope it works!
They don't work .. you need proper baits setting. Please against each of the four wheels.

Chrismawa

Original Poster:

417 posts

73 months

Thursday 11th November 2021
quotequote all
Thanks for the replies. Leaning towards leaving it uncovered now...

... and now looking at Carcoons ha!

Edited by Chrismawa on Thursday 11th November 21:57

RizzoTheRat

21,865 posts

165 months

Friday 12th November 2021
quotequote all
If you're worried about moisture inside the car due to the leaky door seals, take a look at the absorbent crystals/gels that are sold for putting in caravans over the winter

Chrismawa

Original Poster:

417 posts

73 months

Friday 12th November 2021
quotequote all
RizzoTheRat said:
If you're worried about moisture inside the car due to the leaky door seals, take a look at the absorbent crystals/gels that are sold for putting in caravans over the winter
Its more than a bit moisture, itll end up soaking in there as they are leaking quite a bit. I've got them taped up at the moment.

Main concern is the paintwork form the sun and bird droppings as the car for its age is in fantastic condition, the paintwork is brilliant and I don't want it to deteriorate.

TheJimi

21,219 posts

216 months

Friday 12th November 2021
quotequote all
Chris, what is the car, out of curiosity?

Chrismawa

Original Poster:

417 posts

73 months

Friday 12th November 2021
quotequote all

ARHarh

1,733 posts

80 months

Friday 12th November 2021
quotequote all
If it was mine i would just drive it home put the handbrake on and hang up the keys. I would be tempted to take it for a decent drive on dry salt free days. Over the years I have left cars for months and just got back in and started using them again. Never had any real issues. biggest problem i had was a sticking clutch and a Morris Minor I left every year for 10 years. But that was always solved easily and would have happened whatever I did before parking it.

E-bmw

6,624 posts

125 months

Friday 12th November 2021
quotequote all
Chrismawa said:
Main concern is the paintwork form the sun and bird droppings as the car for its age is in fantastic condition, the paintwork is brilliant and I don't want it to deteriorate.
Surely, that is just the same as if it were in daily use?

If so, just wash it regularly.

Chrismawa

Original Poster:

417 posts

73 months

Friday 12th November 2021
quotequote all
E-bmw said:
Surely, that is just the same as if it were in daily use?

If so, just wash it regularly.
Probably will do this to be honest. Put off using a cover, so may just give it a quick was every other week.

Chrismawa

Original Poster:

417 posts

73 months

Tuesday 23rd November 2021
quotequote all
Decided to not bother with a cover. Returned the one I ordered and bought a decent wax/sealer instead. Gave the car a coat yesterday to protect it over winter. Seems like pretty good stuff. Was getting dark when I took the last photo unfortunately.




GreenV8S

29,126 posts

257 months

Tuesday 23rd November 2021
quotequote all
If those are recent pictures then it's an exceptionally tidy looking car for its age and looks like it's been well cared for.

Chrismawa

Original Poster:

417 posts

73 months

Wednesday 24th November 2021
quotequote all
GreenV8S said:
If those are recent pictures then it's an exceptionally tidy looking car for its age and looks like it's been well cared for.
Thanks! Yeah they are recent pictures. It is in great condition for its age, no rust and no lacquer peel which I know is usually common on these cars. That's the reason I want to protect it as much as possible over winter. Would be much easier if I had a garage!

wormus

12,796 posts

176 months

Wednesday 24th November 2021
quotequote all
Chrismawa said:
Thanks! Yeah they are recent pictures. It is in great condition for its age, no rust and no lacquer peel which I know is usually common on these cars. That's the reason I want to protect it as much as possible over winter. Would be much easier if I had a garage!
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cig81015-heavy-duty-instant-garage---da/

Jonny TVR

4,159 posts

254 months

Wednesday 24th November 2021
quotequote all
What about at least getting a car port put up at the side of the house. It looks like it will fit. I had a 2004 Cupra R in silver as my company car for a couple of years and absolutely loved it.

steveo3002

9,008 posts

147 months

Wednesday 24th November 2021
quotequote all
will be fine , keep up the washing /drying when you can and get the windows /tailgate open if theres a nice dry breezy day

dont be tempted to keep starting it without a good run it will do no good

Chris32345

1,776 posts

35 months

Wednesday 24th November 2021
quotequote all
Pica-Pica said:
I’ve never bought the myth of condensation in fuel tanks.
On modern plastic tanks it's really not an issue


But a full tank does minimise evaporation of parts of the fuel