New Motorhome import tariffs?

New Motorhome import tariffs?

Author
Discussion

poo at Paul's

Original Poster:

10,787 posts

142 months

Tuesday 3rd November 2020
quotequote all
Hi,
What is everyone's opinion on import tariffs being applied to Campervans and motorhomes in the event of an increasingly likely no deal Brexit?
I understand they are to be categorised as private cars, and will be potentially subject to a 10% tariff? Is that the same for all vehicles, commercial and private cars i mean?
What will happen to punters who have ordered this year, and where vans will be delivered next year? All the manufacturers in Europe seem to be behind on production, and demand has been high this year for new campers. Will people who bought vans in the summer and not get them registered by 31st December have to pay the tariff, or is it based on ordering / payment date?

On a typical new entry level motorhome of say 55k, it will be about 4.5k i think, which is enough moaney for some to surely think, nope, too much money now, cant afford that!
Will the Govt issue a VAT reduction for a period to compensate? Will dealers be returning deposits where the price changes through tariff, or will they have that buttoned up in the legals to hold onto it?
Anyone in this position? New van due to have arrived by now but delayed, I'd be interested to hear what the dealers have been saying.

GSalt

298 posts

56 months

Tuesday 3rd November 2020
quotequote all
Who knows?

This is the inherent problem in the Get Ready/Prepared message. If they can't sort out a deal until the last minute, there's no time to prepare for anything.

Maybe ask someone that knew what they were voting for?

poo at Paul's

Original Poster:

10,787 posts

142 months

Tuesday 3rd November 2020
quotequote all
GSalt said:
Who knows?

This is the inherent problem in the Get Ready/Prepared message. If they can't sort out a deal until the last minute, there's no time to prepare for anything.

Maybe ask someone that knew what they were voting for?
It is more asking if anyone is in this position and what they have been told if anything by the dealer / manufacturer? Particularly as i believe Covid has caused a delay in manufacture dates, but also increased demand for motorhomes.
If dealers are taking deposits but unable to deliver this year, and then the price bumps up due to a tariff, does the consumer have any rights to cancel?
What about people ordering now for next year, ie no delays, but unknown tariff charges then. Do they have the same or less rights than someone whos delivery date moves over 31st Dec through no fault of their own?

chopper602

1,816 posts

190 months

Wednesday 4th November 2020
quotequote all
poo at Paul's said:
It is more asking if anyone is in this position and what they have been told if anything by the dealer / manufacturer? Particularly as i believe Covid has caused a delay in manufacture dates, but also increased demand for motorhomes.
If dealers are taking deposits but unable to deliver this year, and then the price bumps up due to a tariff, does the consumer have any rights to cancel?
What about people ordering now for next year, ie no delays, but unknown tariff charges then. Do they have the same or less rights than someone whos delivery date moves over 31st Dec through no fault of their own?
We have just purchased a new van (a 2019 model but previously unregistered) and one of the reasons we did that was the uncertainties surrounding tariffs and the probability that if we ordered something now, it wouldn't materialise before around April next year and the dealer couldn't guarantee how much it would cost - crazy!

poo at Paul's

Original Poster:

10,787 posts

142 months

Wednesday 4th November 2020
quotequote all
chopper602 said:
We have just purchased a new van (a 2019 model but previously unregistered) and one of the reasons we did that was the uncertainties surrounding tariffs and the probability that if we ordered something now, it wouldn't materialise before around April next year and the dealer couldn't guarantee how much it would cost - crazy!
What have you bought if you dont mind me asking. Stock of anything new seems very low in UK for those trying to beat a tariff increase.

chopper602

1,816 posts

190 months

Wednesday 4th November 2020
quotequote all
poo at Paul's said:
What have you bought if you dont mind me asking. Stock of anything new seems very low in UK for those trying to beat a tariff increase.
A Knaus Sun Ti

Fast Bug

9,483 posts

128 months

Wednesday 4th November 2020
quotequote all
I sell new commercial vehicles, and if a vehicle isn't in the UK by the 31st of December the customer has to ether pay the tariff or cancel their order. Neither us as a dealer, nor the manufacturer will pay the import tariff on behalf of a customer.

I have my fingers crossed for a deal...

berlintaxi

8,535 posts

140 months

Wednesday 4th November 2020
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
I sell new commercial vehicles, and if a vehicle isn't in the UK by the 31st of December the customer has to ether pay the tariff or cancel their order. Neither us as a dealer, nor the manufacturer will pay the import tariff on behalf of a customer.
Exactly this, check the paperwork on the order you placed with the dealer almost certainly it will have a Brexit clause in it.

I think anyone sensible hopes for a deal.

poo at Paul's

Original Poster:

10,787 posts

142 months

Wednesday 4th November 2020
quotequote all
Fast Bug said:
I sell new commercial vehicles, and if a vehicle isn't in the UK by the 31st of December the customer has to ether pay the tariff or cancel their order. Neither us as a dealer, nor the manufacturer will pay the import tariff on behalf of a customer.

I have my fingers crossed for a deal...
If they cancel will you be returning deposits?

Fast Bug

9,483 posts

128 months

Wednesday 4th November 2020
quotequote all
poo at Paul's said:
If they cancel will you be returning deposits?
Yup. Even though we will have to pay stocking charges, storage charges and may end up making a loss if they've ordered something really oddball.

As far back as I can remember, order forms have stated that any increase in taxes or tariffs are down to the customer to pay. Its rare that there's an increase in VAT, but it has happened, and VED can change easily so its an easy thing to insert in the T&C's to cover your arse

GlenMH

4,951 posts

210 months

Wednesday 4th November 2020
quotequote all
It isn't tarrifs you need to be worried about if you are considering buying new, it is whether you can get a mh delivered to you in any sensible timescale.
My understanding of the situation is:

Due to a pretty crap year in 2019 and lack of orders at the beginning of 2020, then mh manufacturers shed capacity and that has fed back in to their supply chains, including the supply of cabs for mhs to be built on. Remember that the order is raised to Fiat for the cab at least 18 months before the mh is delivered to the UK.

Then covid happened and the market went potty - all over Europe. Which means getting hold of cabs and build slots for delivery well in to 2021 is very difficult and the rumour mill is talking about it being well in to 2022 before capacity increases properly and availability of new mhs gets sorted out.

Guess what that is going to do to prices in the meantime...?

poo at Paul's

Original Poster:

10,787 posts

142 months

Friday 6th November 2020
quotequote all
We’ve had a build date of wk 9 2021. But I’m expecting slippage!
Only possible positive is they will be rhd cabs ordered so less demand from rest of Europe.

berlintaxi

8,535 posts

140 months

Saturday 7th November 2020
quotequote all
Which manufacturer?

poo at Paul's

Original Poster:

10,787 posts

142 months

Saturday 7th November 2020
quotequote all
Rollerteam.

Zooks

282 posts

193 months

Monday 16th November 2020
quotequote all
VW have introduced a 'no tariff' pledge if ordered before 2/12/20 and delivered before end of March.
Fortunately my Cali is arriving in a couple of weeks.

berlintaxi

8,535 posts

140 months

Monday 16th November 2020
quotequote all
poo at Paul's said:
Rollerteam.
All manufacturers are working flat out to try and bring in some money and catch up on a healthy order books, Rollerteam are part of Trigano so have a lot of pull with suppliers, no reason it should slip.

poo at Paul's

Original Poster:

10,787 posts

142 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
berlintaxi said:
poo at Paul's said:
Rollerteam.
All manufacturers are working flat out to try and bring in some money and catch up on a healthy order books, Rollerteam are part of Trigano so have a lot of pull with suppliers, no reason it should slip.
Just a brief update to this. Well, it did slip from Feb, to April.....and now again til June!
It's not dealer's fault, they have no real info that they are not passing on, but this weekend they seemed to think it may be more of a problem than the factory have been letting on, availability of chassis cabs and maybe an effect of the "chip shortage". I red in the press about vehicle manufacturers switching to cars away from vans, as the shortage of chips for electronics etc, they want the higher margin car sales to continue. Not sure how true that is.

berlintaxi

8,535 posts

140 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
Sorry to hear this, the supply chains into the motorhome industry are really struggling at the moment, many of the other components in the motorhome itself are also in short supply.

poo at Paul's

Original Poster:

10,787 posts

142 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
berlintaxi said:
Sorry to hear this, the supply chains into the motorhome industry are really struggling at the moment, many of the other components in the motorhome itself are also in short supply.
At first we thought, ok, we will miss easter, but it gives us another month to save to pay for it...! ! I'm now worried by Spetember I will have spent the savings on something else!!

poo at Paul's

Original Poster:

10,787 posts

142 months

Wednesday 12th May
quotequote all
New build update provided to dealers this week, but despite chasing they’ve not come back to me! So I’m guessing it’s slipped again. Worryingly close already to the 6 week shutdown in Pogiobonsi in August.
I have a feeling we will be getting bad news again tomorrow……