Jack Reacher - any good?

Jack Reacher - any good?

Author
Discussion

RC1807

10,323 posts

135 months

Thursday 25th February
quotequote all
Started reading Reacher's latest scuffles in "The Sentinel" a couple of nights ago in bed.
Now 25% through it.

Davey S2

12,645 posts

221 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
lastexile69 said:
Davey S2 said:
Currently on the second book in the James Reece series by Jack Carr which I'm very much enjoying.
I've read both The Terminal List and True Believer in this series - enjoyed them. thumbup

Also enjoyed all the Evan Smoak - Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz.
I've just finished the 3rd James Reece book, Savage Son which was also really good. I've also pre ordered Book 4 The Devil's Hand out in April.

Funnily enough I've now started the Prodigal Son book 6 in the Orphan X series. Really enjoyed the previous ones.

lastexile69

462 posts

138 months

Friday 26th February
quotequote all
thumbup

I was planning on saving the Reece book 3 and Smoak book 6 for my holidays but 'Rona might be scuppering that for the second year so might be tempted to buy them soon....

Adenauer

18,062 posts

203 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Adenauer said:
Monkeylegend said:
I would add Harlan Coben and his Myron Bolitar books to this list as well.
Just ordered Deal Breaker, I'll report back once I've read it smile
Sorry for going back a year or so, but I'd just like to say a big thank you to ML for suggesting the Harlan Coben - Myron Bolitor books.

Not sure any more how many I've already read but I started another last night 'One False Move', and for me they are brilliantly written, I couldn't stop chuckling last night whilst reading it. Just the tonic for today's fked up world.

So thanks again, Monkeylegend. thumbup

Monkeylegend

21,224 posts

198 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Adenauer said:
Adenauer said:
Monkeylegend said:
I would add Harlan Coben and his Myron Bolitar books to this list as well.
Just ordered Deal Breaker, I'll report back once I've read it smile
Sorry for going back a year or so, but I'd just like to say a big thank you to ML for suggesting the Harlan Coben - Myron Bolitor books.

Not sure any more how many I've already read but I started another last night 'One False Move', and for me they are brilliantly written, I couldn't stop chuckling last night whilst reading it. Just the tonic for today's fked up world.

So thanks again, Monkeylegend. thumbup
You are welcome smile

Have you tried Linwood Barclay, who is very similar to Coben, and also John Grisham who writes some excellent court dramas and crime thrillers.

Adenauer

18,062 posts

203 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Monkeylegend said:
You are welcome smile

Have you tried Linwood Barclay, who is very similar to Coben, and also John Grisham who writes some excellent court dramas and crime thrillers.
Not yet, but I will do.

I also now know what you meant when you said 'articulate' a long time ago. laugh

They both really crack me up. Myron's just been to see Frank Ache and everything went deathly silent when the phone rang and it was Win.

Bloody hilarious. biggrin

Monkeylegend

21,224 posts

198 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Adenauer said:
Monkeylegend said:
You are welcome smile

Have you tried Linwood Barclay, who is very similar to Coben, and also John Grisham who writes some excellent court dramas and crime thrillers.
Not yet, but I will do.

I also now know what you meant when you said 'articulate' a long time ago. laugh

They both really crack me up. Myron's just been to see Frank Ache and everything went deathly silent when the phone rang and it was Win.

Bloody hilarious. biggrin
I have read all Cobens books so, the first about 3 years ago so I will probably start them again in the near future.

I think he has a new one just out so am waiting for that to appear in the charity shops.

I think we all wish we had a little bit of Win in us.

The other really good author to look for is Robert Crais and his Elvis Cole, Joe Pike characters. Think I have mentioned him before but again I would love to be even a little bit like the Joe Pike.

Articulate hehe

I often answer the phone with that if I know who is calling.

AClownsPocket

883 posts

126 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
I recently finished a Coben book called Win. No Myron, all Win. Its a decent look inside his mind and the storytelling from his perspective is different. Really enjoyable.

Glad I'm not the only one who says 'articulate' on the phone.

Monkeylegend

21,224 posts

198 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Coben writes with a lot of humour, as does Robert Crais with Elvis, the worlds greatest detective.

I smile and chuckle a lot when I read them both.


jet_noise

4,641 posts

149 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
Thread drift...
...but if you like Cole & Pike then Parker's Spenser & regular but not universal sidekick Hawk are a fine pairing.

Silverage

1,154 posts

97 months

Tuesday 11th May
quotequote all
RC1807 said:
Started reading Reacher's latest scuffles in "The Sentinel" a couple of nights ago in bed.
Now 25% through it.
I was out of reading material and noticed this in paperback for a fiver in Tescos yesterday so I picked it up. I read the first couple of chapters last night and so far to me it reads like a usual Lee Child written book.

blingybongy

3,019 posts

113 months

Tuesday 11th May
quotequote all
Silverage said:
RC1807 said:
Started reading Reacher's latest scuffles in "The Sentinel" a couple of nights ago in bed.
Now 25% through it.
I was out of reading material and noticed this in paperback for a fiver in Tescos yesterday so I picked it up. I read the first couple of chapters last night and so far to me it reads like a usual Lee Child written book.
Reacher said nothing.
The first Reacher I didn't bother finishing.

Edited by blingybongy on Wednesday 12th May 06:56

Monkeylegend

21,224 posts

198 months

Tuesday 11th May
quotequote all
I am waiting until it is £1 in the charity shops, which won't be long.

lastexile69

462 posts

138 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all
I read The Sentinel recently and it really isn't a patch on the earlier Reacher novels.

At a push I'd say it was a tiny bit better than Blue Moon (which was, for me, the worst Reacher so far by a wide margin) but only by a gnats c*ck.

The writing style is definitely a little different in places in The Sentinel (presumably due to the collaboration now) but for me it was stuck between two styles. At times it was clearly trying to be classic Reacher with the short monosyllabic dialogue and descriptive style, yet at other times it had far lengthier exposition and a great deal more "this is the bit where we explain it for you over several pages without dialogue just in case you can't keep up".

Both are the worst 2 entries in the Reacher catalogue in my view.

Readable? Certainly. It's competently paced (apart from a few places) and the dialogue is snappy enough.
Enjoyable? Without doubt as a pick up and read when you don't want anything more than escapism.

But for fans of the Reacher canon, I'd say it was disappointing.

Stan the Bat

6,554 posts

179 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all
The later ones have gone down a notch in quality.

Silverage

1,154 posts

97 months

Wednesday 19th May
quotequote all
Well I’m plowing on with this, about half way through now and so far it’s pretty much by the numbers. The only thing I have noticed is he/they have all the characters using the phrase “all kinds of” constantly. Is this what someone mentioned above where all the characters end up speaking like Reacher in the end?

Welshbeef

44,889 posts

165 months

Wednesday 19th May
quotequote all
Anyone finding JR pretty lame now against the higher / deeper quality books around.

Monkeylegend

21,224 posts

198 months

Wednesday 19th May
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
Anyone finding JR pretty lame now against the higher / deeper quality books around.
Have you read the posts above yours? smile

UnclePat

412 posts

54 months

Thursday 20th May
quotequote all
Started reading ‘The Midnight Line’ and (risible plot device about a West Point ring aside) really enjoyed the pacey, hard-boiled start, thinking it might have been a return to form, but then it deteriorated into an excruciating dull 100 pages or so of Reacher doing nothing but driving between houses looking for someone.

The endlessly boring descriptions of the dust thrown up by travelling cars and parking positions reminded me of ‘61 Hours’, when Child also banged-on interminably about the cold weather.

It’s like the pressure of churning out a book every year leads him to start well enough, then pad / fill the middle with gibberish, before arriving at the ending and a royalty cheque.

Silverage

1,154 posts

97 months

Friday 21st May
quotequote all
I’ve noticed a lot of them are like this. I suppose that’s what happens when you have books written 99% from Reacher’s point of view and he’s a drifter. Endless prose about him moving from one scene / violent confrontation to the next.