Jack Reacher - any good?

Jack Reacher - any good?

Author
Discussion

Herb ashus boarder

52 posts

4 months

Friday 21st May
quotequote all
when is the next one due out please

Nimby

2,924 posts

119 months

Friday 21st May
quotequote all
Herb ashus boarder said:
when is the next one due out please
Click

TCX

1,116 posts

24 months

Sunday 30th May
quotequote all
Stan the Bat said:
The later ones have gone down a notch in quality.
It's just become a family franchise now imho
Off topic but slightly,lol much darker author of the Yank underbelly,Andrew H Vachs is worth a read,If you can find them

jet_noise

4,818 posts

151 months

Monday 23rd August
quotequote all
C.J.Box's Pickett update having just finished the 3rd - Winterkill.
As an earlier poster it took until this 'un to be hooked.
The whole thing hangs together better than the 1st two.
Plot/goodies/baddies.

Jack Reacher he isn't.
Has a family.
Fouls up.
Self doubts.
Can't hit owt with a pistol.
What he does share is doing the right thing.

marcosgt

10,761 posts

145 months

Tuesday 21st September
quotequote all
I've read most of the Reacher novels, but I think I've reached saturation point.

They seem incredibly samey and generally far too long.

By comparison with, say Bosch novels, they don't develop the character, if anything he seems to get less interesting as the books go on.

M

Stan the Bat

6,765 posts

181 months

Tuesday 21st September
quotequote all
marcosgt said:
I've read most of the Reacher novels, but I think I've reached saturation point.

They seem incredibly samey and generally far too long.

By comparison with, say Bosch novels, they don't develop the character, if anything he seems to get less interesting as the books go on.

M
They are certainly not as good as they used to be.

jet_noise

4,818 posts

151 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Just finished another recommendation from this thread - Harlan Coben Deal Breaker, 1st in the Myron Bolitar series.

A little too much US specific sport (about which I know less than nowt) detail. Although that's kind of the point of the character!
The third person writing feels a bit odd, as if it started being in the 1st and then changed wholesale.
One obvious clue was ignored till an aha! moment at the end.

Which is not to say I didn't enjoy it. I'll reserve the next when I need some more library books smile
Still has a good team - physically gifted partner, girlfriend, sassy secretary. And Myron himself quips well.

Monkeylegend

21,759 posts

200 months

Thursday
quotequote all
jet_noise said:
Just finished another recommendation from this thread - Harlan Coben Deal Breaker, 1st in the Myron Bolitar series.

A little too much US specific sport (about which I know less than nowt) detail. Although that's kind of the point of the character!
The third person writing feels a bit odd, as if it started being in the 1st and then changed wholesale.
One obvious clue was ignored till an aha! moment at the end.

Which is not to say I didn't enjoy it. I'll reserve the next when I need some more library books smile
Still has a good team - physically gifted partner, girlfriend, sassy secretary. And Myron himself quips well.
They get better.

droopsnoot

8,938 posts

211 months

jet_noise said:
Just finished another recommendation from this thread - Harlan Coben Deal Breaker, 1st in the Myron Bolitar series.

A little too much US specific sport (about which I know less than nowt) detail. Although that's kind of the point of the character!
The third person writing feels a bit odd, as if it started being in the 1st and then changed wholesale.
One obvious clue was ignored till an aha! moment at the end.

Which is not to say I didn't enjoy it. I'll reserve the next when I need some more library books smile
Still has a good team - physically gifted partner, girlfriend, sassy secretary. And Myron himself quips well.
I enjoy the Harlen Coben books, I've just finished the latest one and I'd forgotten how good they are.

jet_noise

4,818 posts

151 months

Monkeylegend said:
They get better.
That's to look forward to. It was only his 3rd novel and the 1st of a character. Although the characters were probably the most resolved of ingredients.

Monkeylegend

21,759 posts

200 months

jet_noise said:
Monkeylegend said:
They get better.
That's to look forward to. It was only his 3rd novel and the 1st of a character. Although the characters were probably the most resolved of ingredients.
I have read all his books over the last 3 years or so and he is definitely a better read than Jack Reacher all of which are so predictable and very similar plot lines.