Audio Books - What are you listening to?

Audio Books - What are you listening to?

Author
Discussion

marshallbrown

23 posts

30 months

Tuesday 8th January 2019
quotequote all
I just downloaded an app but unable to listen because its paid frown

The Leaper

3,967 posts

173 months

Tuesday 8th January 2019
quotequote all
I have a Kindle.

Just finished the Freida Klein novels, a series of 8 books written by Nicci French, excellent.

Just started to read And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott.

R.

Jonnny

29,036 posts

156 months

Sunday 10th March 2019
quotequote all
Jonnny said:
Soldier Spy - Tom Marcus

Fictional but great to listen to and I couldn't stop listening, just a "spy/terrorist" book, enjoyed it.


Just finished Capture or Kill - Tom Marcus, really enjoyed it and finished it in a week.. A follow on from Soldier Spy.

Anyone know of any others like this?

Any other recommendations?

I've also just finished "The Dark Web" and "Real Crime" Audible Shorts.. Definitely recommend these too.

JJ55

603 posts

82 months

Sunday 10th March 2019
quotequote all
The passage trilogy is good value. Took me a good while to get through all 3.

toasty

6,345 posts

187 months

Tuesday 12th March 2019
quotequote all
Just finishing Dune by Frank Herbert. A classic sci-fi that had somehow passed me by.

I'm especially enjoying this Audible version as it has an ensemble cast to cover the many characters.

Parkette

620 posts

28 months

Wednesday 13th March 2019
quotequote all
Do people still buy books on CD?

When I used to drive much longer distances putting a good detective or classic novel on the car cd player made the miles fly by and kept the family at peace.


toasty

6,345 posts

187 months

Wednesday 13th March 2019
quotequote all
Parkette said:
Do people still buy books on CD?

When I used to drive much longer distances putting a good detective or classic novel on the car cd player made the miles fly by and kept the family at peace.
My mum still does but I guess most have moved to Audible by now

br d

7,608 posts

193 months

Wednesday 13th March 2019
quotequote all
toasty said:
Just finishing Dune by Frank Herbert. A classic sci-fi that had somehow passed me by.

I'm especially enjoying this Audible version as it has an ensemble cast to cover the many characters.
Toasty, if you haven't already read Hyperion by Dan Simmons then try the Audible version, it also has a cast so it's like listening to a play. It's widely recognised as one of the best Sci-Fi books ever written and I guarantee you would enjoy it.

Jonnny

29,036 posts

156 months

Wednesday 13th March 2019
quotequote all
Just listening to "The Butterfly Effect", Audible Shorts.. About the porn industry and how free porn affected pretty much the whole industry.

Very interesting, not seedy so worth a listen.

toasty

6,345 posts

187 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
br d said:
Toasty, if you haven't already read Hyperion by Dan Simmons then try the Audible version, it also has a cast so it's like listening to a play. It's widely recognised as one of the best Sci-Fi books ever written and I guarantee you would enjoy it.
Thanks, I’ll add it to my list.

GetCarter

27,726 posts

246 months

Sunday 28th April 2019
quotequote all
Just finished my 81st Audible book (!)

'The Game' by Tom Wood. Book 3 in the 'Victor the Assassin' series.

Really good listen, with excellent narration. The first book was a bit pants, and nearly didn't continue, but book 2 was better. 3 excellent. You don't really need to listen to the first two... it's pretty obvious what's going on.

toasty

6,345 posts

187 months

Saturday 31st August 2019
quotequote all
I’m just finishing the Jeeves and Wooster radio plays with Richard Briers as Bertie Wooster.

Fabulous stuff!

GetCarter

27,726 posts

246 months

Saturday 31st August 2019
quotequote all
Hellbent. 3rd in the Evan Smoak series.

Excellent listen.

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Hellbent-Audiobook/B0...

toasty

6,345 posts

187 months

Tuesday 1st October 2019
quotequote all
GetCarter said:
Hellbent. 3rd in the Evan Smoak series.

Excellent listen.

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Hellbent-Audiobook/B0...
Thanks for the heads up. Now halfway through book 2.

bracken78

974 posts

173 months

Friday 4th October 2019
quotequote all
I have listened to, as recommended here, Soldier Spy and The Spy and the Traitor both of which I enjoyed very much. I have also listened to A spy among friends which was also very good but not as good as The Spy and the Traitor.

Can anyone recommend other books about real people and not fiction?


Smiler.

11,309 posts

197 months

Friday 4th October 2019
quotequote all
bracken78 said:
I have listened to, as recommended here, Soldier Spy and The Spy and the Traitor both of which I enjoyed very much. I have also listened to A spy among friends which was also very good but not as good as The Spy and the Traitor.

Can anyone recommend other books about real people and not fiction?
A few more riveting books:

The Spies of Winter: The GCHQ Codebreakers Who Fought the Cold War

M: Maxwell Knight, MI5's Greatest Spymaster

Bridge of Spies: A True Story of the Cold War (not what the film was based upon).

A Brief History of the Cold War


Also worth a punt

The Secret Barrister

The Longest Kill: The Story of Maverick 41, One of the World's Greatest Snipers



bracken78

974 posts

173 months

Friday 4th October 2019
quotequote all
Thank you, I shall have a look at these.

Mr Roper

12,025 posts

161 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
My list so far:

David Goggins - Can't Hurt me.
US Navy Seal turned endurance runner.

Ant Middleton - First Man In.
Life before, during and after the Special forces.

Louis Theroux - Gotta Get Theroux This.
Career journey

Alan Partridge - i Partridge. We need to talk about Alan


Mike Tyson - Undisputed truth
Warts and all book over 20 hours

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Total Recall
Life story, self promotion and ego.

Mark Manson - The Subtle Art Of Not Giving a Fu8k
Boring and not as funny as he thinks he is.

Aside from the Total Recall and Mark Manson I highly recommend the others.



GetCarter

27,726 posts

246 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
toasty said:
GetCarter said:
Hellbent. 3rd in the Evan Smoak series.

Excellent listen.

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Hellbent-Audiobook/B0...
Thanks for the heads up. Now halfway through book 2.
New Evan Smoak out on 20th Feb. That and Better Call Saul in the same week... going to be busy!

Just finished Michael Sheen reading Pullman's Secret Commonwealth. Of the 112 books I've listened to, it was by far the best narration. No surprise I guess considering he can play Blair, Clough and Frost in film! (Book was miles better than book 1 in the same trilogy).


Edited by GetCarter on Wednesday 29th January 11:31

toasty

6,345 posts

187 months

Wednesday 29th January 2020
quotequote all
Just finishing another enjoyable Stephen King book - The Institute. Reminiscent of his earlier Firestarter and Dead Zone, this combines the two with an evil institute full of psychic kids.

Looking forward to another Evan Smoak book but have opted for (after another recommendation on here) Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy to keep me busy for the next year or so.