RE: PH Heroes: Audi RS2

RE: PH Heroes: Audi RS2

Author
Discussion

John D.

13,690 posts

173 months

Sunday 26th October 2008
quotequote all
Robatr0n said:
littlemidgetgem said:
Robatr0n said:
You can however fit all the RS2 bits to an S2 which can see you to around 360 - 380bhp.
Now that does sound interesting .... biggrin
It's an option I'm giving close consideration too! biggrin
Do it! Do it! Do it! evil

Hongkongfooi

599 posts

211 months

Sunday 26th October 2008
quotequote all
My RS2 had 370bhp.......it made me giggle leaving a Tuscan S in my wake once (in an estate!)

Whoozit

2,311 posts

233 months

Tuesday 28th October 2008
quotequote all
I just don't believe it. Only yesterday I finally, finally picked up the replacement for my RS2 (4.2 A6 Avant, very different but also very quick!) and then PH goes and puts up a story on just how awesome they are!

I know I'll regret this but - sorry, Jeremy, I'm finally selling the RS2! I'll spend this weekend polishing it up and taking some piccies for a proper Pistonheads ad, but if anyone's interested in an early peek, send me a pm.

jeremyc

19,370 posts

248 months

Wednesday 29th October 2008
quotequote all
Whoozit said:
I know I'll regret this but - sorry, Jeremy, I'm finally selling the RS2!
nono I bet you already know that you are going to regret it ... hehe

DickyC

39,656 posts

162 months

Thursday 30th October 2008
quotequote all
Plotloss said:
monthefish said:
the article said:
pushed the car to 60mph in a barely believable 4.8 seconds, almost on par with a Porsche 993
a quick google said:
The Porsche 911 993 Carrera offers a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds
So it's actually quicker to 60 than a 993?
Yep.

If you remember the Autocar article, its quicker to 30 than a Mclaren F1.
An F1 McLaren has just sold for £2.5 million.

That'll be another one I can beat away from the lights in my RS2, then...

Howitzer

2,724 posts

180 months

Thursday 30th October 2008
quotequote all
I really wanted to warm to the RS2 but the ride was just not good enough and it always felt like you were holding it back instead of driving it as you wanted.

It was overall a fantastic car though that just didn't suit my driving style.

Definitely a car to have in a dream garage.

DAve!

Hongkongfooi

599 posts

211 months

Thursday 30th October 2008
quotequote all
Howitzer said:
I really wanted to warm to the RS2 but the ride was just not good enough and it always felt like you were holding it back instead of driving it as you wanted.

It was overall a fantastic car though that just didn't suit my driving style.

Definitely a car to have in a dream garage.

DAve!
MTM had a cure for that.....

Chris71

21,500 posts

206 months

Thursday 30th October 2008
quotequote all
Fabulous car, but it seems I've been getting the RS2 confused with the S2. £20k? Jeez.

TEKNOPUG

14,999 posts

169 months

Friday 31st October 2008
quotequote all
Chris71 said:
Fabulous car, but it seems I've been getting the RS2 confused with the S2. £20k? Jeez.
£20k??? £10k for an RS2 more like

Motorrad

6,811 posts

151 months

Friday 31st October 2008
quotequote all
Best car I've ever owned and the only one I regret selling and miss to this day.

I'll never forget out accelerating a 993 C2 out of a bend onto a very wet and unforgiving main straight at the Nurburgring.......or cruising past an M5 at a GPS confirmed 165mph while it sat on it's limiter at 155.

Here's a cheesy road test I wrote about mine

"Aged cars are endlessly appealing. The smell of old dog, the sagging driver's seat, every time I buy another old clunker it's as satisfying as slipping into a pair of old shoes.

The knackered footwear in this case is an Audi RS2. 185,000 kilometres up and with the tell tale shine on it's control surfaces to prove it. What's more remarkable is that despite being frayed around the edges this RS Blue example can still cut it in comparison with some of today's wunderkind.

It kicked off the performance estate segment in the mid 90's and develops 315bhp through four driven wheels. You might, therefore, reasonably expect that it can still show today's hot hatches a thing or two.
Climbing into the dated interior the first thing you notice is the support afforded by the heated leather recaro seats. Comfort isn't something drivers of this jazzed up Audi 80 are going to lack. The toy count is also remarkable with electric everything including climate control, unusual in this era.

Once underway it starts to show it's age. There is massive lag from the 5 cylinder 2.2. None of this sequential malarkey here. Just a huge single turbo fed by monstrous bumper scoops. This means below 3K there's nothing and then more shove than a bus 'queue' in France, all the way to 7.5 thousand revs. First and second are snatched with such haste that you barely have time to notice the obstructive 6 speed box- unless you get it wrong. It goes on to reach an ungoverned 160mph plus. Being equipped with Porsche derived ABS brakes mean you at least stand a small chance of stopping. But because she's a hefty old bird try it more than once from speed and they soon fade.

Braking isn't something you'll need to do much of if you control the impulse to floor it at every opportunity. The RS2 will carry frightening speed through the bendy bits. Although there's an element of understeer, the combination of 225 boots, a willing chassis and four wheel drive traction means it makes indecent cross country progress for what's basically a dog basket.

It's also bang on the money in fulfilling it's brief as a 'lifestyle estate' because there's bugger all room in the back, a Mondeo hatchback would carry twice the load. That said, rear seats down, it's capacious enough and you could get Fido in the back if you decided you could live with the indelible aftermath of dog vomit haunting subsequent excursions.

What we have here then is a twelve year old estate car that will give you most of the comfort you require, will cane the hottest of hot hatches and by dint of it's limited production run of 2000 provide the owner with the exclusivity we all apparently crave.
So why exactly am I getting rid of mine? Simple, if I ever have to say the phrase, 'actually it's an Audi-Porsche' ever again, I'll explode in a puff of car nerd!"

hope2421

Original Poster:

446 posts

177 months

Friday 31st October 2008
quotequote all
TEKNOPUG said:
Chris71 said:
Fabulous car, but it seems I've been getting the RS2 confused with the S2. £20k? Jeez.
£20k??? £10k for an RS2 more like
Depends on the car.

kavanagh

555 posts

158 months

Friday 31st October 2008
quotequote all
im so jelous ?!?!,fancy swapping my 2007 fiat punto,its a 1.2,feel the power!,rs2 are a beautiful peice of engerneering,1m 28,prefer an estate to a sports car,fastest 0 to 30,hows the clutch =)
hope2421 said:
The only thing i can add is,they are very,very fast! did he say that?

I am lucky enough to own one of these rare beasts and i can tell you that everytime i drive it, a huge smile is all over my facesmile

Audi RS2 Avant....a true super car.

And here is minesmile
[URL=http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2856881480078509834FVdVaP][/URL]

Edited by hope2421 on Wednesday 22 October 08:00

brams

29 posts

149 months

Saturday 1st November 2008
quotequote all
I was an Audi tech back in the day, and used to look after a couple. I also recall seeing a 3rd car regular at the AA training camp in Nottingham (Widmerpool?)where Audi used to run their technical training courses. I recall driving an S8 at the launch being followed by one of the Audi blokes in the RS2.

They are one of my favorite cars. I have been fortunate to drive some of the quickest and most potent cars in the world during my career. Indeed I'd have to say that there are a handful of cars which have made me shake a little with nerves after coming back from some very quick test drives, the only things I've driven that are quicker/scarier are a RUF 993 Turbo S and an XJ220 and a TVR Cerberea 4.5

brams

Robatr0n

12,362 posts

180 months

Saturday 1st November 2008
quotequote all
Hongkongfooi said:
Howitzer said:
I really wanted to warm to the RS2 but the ride was just not good enough and it always felt like you were holding it back instead of driving it as you wanted.

It was overall a fantastic car though that just didn't suit my driving style.

Definitely a car to have in a dream garage.

DAve!
MTM had a cure for that.....
MRC have an even better cure. smile

jeremyc

19,370 posts

248 months

Monday 3rd November 2008
quotequote all
Two RS2s at the Goodwood Breakfast Club on Sunday. thumbup

Hope2421's RS Blue example, and a Ragussa Green one - anyone on here?

Shropshiremike

20,593 posts

167 months

Monday 3rd November 2008
quotequote all
Extremely fast off the mark but the fierceness fades somewhat after 60 ime.

Any idea who used to own the blue one in Shrewsbury up until a couple of years ago? Often parked by the church by the Lord Hill column.

DickyC

39,656 posts

162 months

Monday 3rd November 2008
quotequote all
Shropshiremike said:
Extremely fast off the mark but the fierceness fades somewhat after 60 ime.
Disagree; best overtaking car ever. The previous owner of my car warned me that if I overtook from, say, sixth back in a line of cars, to watch out for the three and four men starting to overtake as they won't be expecting anyone and won't look and the RS2 will have gathered a lot of pace in that short distance.

Lo and behold it happened very early in my ownership but luckily the road was wide enough to accomodate us three wide.

And dropping from sixth to fourth at 80 and booting it is really quite startling. Track days, of course.rolleyes

900T-R

20,363 posts

221 months

Monday 3rd November 2008
quotequote all
DickyC said:
Shropshiremike said:
Extremely fast off the mark but the fierceness fades somewhat after 60 ime.
Disagree; best overtaking car ever. The previous owner of my car warned me that if I overtook from, say, sixth back in a line of cars, to watch out for the three and four men starting to overtake as they won't be expecting anyone and won't look and the RS2 will have gathered a lot of pace in that short distance.
Depends on the company you're in - the mate that had an RS2 came from (and eventually returned to) a succession of fast(ish) Saabs (among other things; he's had a couple of Imprezas and a 911, too) and thus went along with the Saab lot to the 'Ring and back. From the lights he would comprehensively murder the FWD stuff but at speed there was nothing in it between the Audi and say a 270 bhp 'vauxhall' 900/9-3.

TEKNOPUG

14,999 posts

169 months

Monday 3rd November 2008
quotequote all
900T-R said:
DickyC said:
Shropshiremike said:
Extremely fast off the mark but the fierceness fades somewhat after 60 ime.
Disagree; best overtaking car ever. The previous owner of my car warned me that if I overtook from, say, sixth back in a line of cars, to watch out for the three and four men starting to overtake as they won't be expecting anyone and won't look and the RS2 will have gathered a lot of pace in that short distance.
Depends on the company you're in - the mate that had an RS2 came from (and eventually returned to) a succession of fast(ish) Saabs (among other things; he's had a couple of Imprezas and a 911, too) and thus went along with the Saab lot to the 'Ring and back. From the lights he would comprehensively murder the FWD stuff but at speed there was nothing in it between the Audi and say a 270 bhp 'vauxhall' 900/9-3.
Weight, aerodynamics and gearing have a big part to play when you starting piling into illegal speeds

900T-R

20,363 posts

221 months

Monday 3rd November 2008
quotequote all
I think in this case it was more the added drivetrain bits that were holding the Audi back, and I guess between 100 and 200 km/h weight still plays a significant part. After all 315 vs 270(ish) bhp isn't a huge difference to begin with.

A tuner once told me when I asked after the wisdom of building 400+ bhp FWD drag racers, that the Scoobies of similar power only had an advantage on the first 1/8th mile, than the FWD car would claw back the time it lost on the starting line due to it suffering much smaller transmission losses.