Cooper S - R52 compared to R56???

Cooper S - R52 compared to R56???

Author
Discussion

beeej

1,397 posts

157 months

Monday 11th May 2009
quotequote all
Yes, if you're following one, look at how the R56 is raising its arse to you, and how you can see the suspension supports! The R53 was simpler and curvier and is the better looker. The R56 has the added problem of the aero kit making it look worse than factory.

About MPG. The R53 does drink a bit. Well, a lot. Let's say 28mpg tops. But it's very very fast if you upgrade to ~220bhp, and for two people its ace. It needs bushes and trailing arms done at any time after 40k miles, otherwise it goes a bit more wiggly at the back than it is supposed to be.

But for the price you can pick an R53 up for... who cares about the fuel costs? wink

(throw-away line: it also has a bonnet scoop that is functional, not an unnecessary style choice like the R56!)

Edited by beeej on Monday 11th May 18:54

Leicesterdave

2,072 posts

144 months

Monday 11th May 2009
quotequote all
AstonV12 said:
Does feel really meaty low down, although I find it slightly breathless at the top.
I've got to agree with you there. Coming from a Cooper D, I find that once one the go it is pretty breathless! Joining the motorway, it just doesn't feel fast. Maybe i've got used to the performance!
Then again, I've only got 200 miles on the clock!!

Kaelic

2,636 posts

165 months

Monday 11th May 2009
quotequote all
Hmmm R53 JCW Cooper S Convertible here

Back seats are only any good for kiddies (under 10)
Real world MPG is about 22-25 and thats with plenty of hoofing it.
I prefer the R53's exterior but the R56 interior imho is a better place.
Does the R56 allow the auto hood down from the key?
The hood rubbing can be an issue on the R53 dunno about the R56
Bendy twisty chasis on the R53 when cornering fast
Sound of the R53 is much better than the R56 wink



If near Manc and you want a go of one let me know


Dunk

Edited by Kaelic on Monday 11th May 19:52

300bhp/ton

Original Poster:

39,671 posts

154 months

Monday 11th May 2009
quotequote all
Kaelic said:
Hmmm R53 JCW Cooper S Convertible here

Back seats are only any good for kiddies (under 10)
Real world MPG is about 22-25 and thats with plenty of hoofing it.
I prefer the R53's exterior but the R56 interior imho is a better place.
Does the R56 allow the auto hood down from the key?
The hood rubbing can be an issue on the R53 dunno about the R56
Bendy twisty chasis on the R53 when cornering fast
Sound of the R53 is much better than the R56 wink



If near Manc and you want a go of one let me know


Dunk

Edited by Kaelic on Monday 11th May 19:52
Cheers for the offer biggrin

Sadly I'm way south in Buckinghamshire.

Bungleaio

5,764 posts

166 months

Monday 11th May 2009
quotequote all
I had a 52 cooper S, it was the most unreliable car I've had but I miss it, a lot.

I had a gt tuning top strut brace and an omp lower one which tightened up the chassis a fair bit. I was quite addicted to the whine of the charger and I averaged 22 from it.

I test drove a r56 a couple of times but I didn't really like it. When the r53's drop to a couple of thousand to pick up I'll be very tempted to get another.



ETA photo

Edited by Bungleaio on Monday 11th May 20:26

SteA

251 posts

190 months

Monday 11th May 2009
quotequote all
I bought an R53 MCS for the wife and, to my surprise, I really enjoy driving it, its a fantastic car once the runflats have been ditched! It averages 32 in the long term, which also involves the car getting absolutely thrashed on a frequent basis smile

mister.t

2,885 posts

160 months

Monday 11th May 2009
quotequote all
I've spent the whole weekend pasengering and larking about in a new R57 S, and compared to the R52 S I have been used to doing runs in, the R57 is far superior for a number of reasons;

  • Fuel Economy
  • Visibility With Roof Up
  • Interior Quality
  • Interior Space
  • Ride is better
  • Less scuttle shake
  • Roof operatable at speed
Things I missed;
  • Supercharger Scream
  • Better Sports Seats

okgo

30,480 posts

162 months

Monday 11th May 2009
quotequote all
mister.t said:
I've spent the whole weekend pasengering and larking about in a new R57 S, and compared to the R52 S I have been used to doing runs in, the R57 is far superior for a number of reasons;

  • Fuel Economy
  • Visibility With Roof Up
  • Interior Quality
  • Interior Space
  • Ride is better
  • Less scuttle shake
  • Roof operatable at speed
Things I missed;
  • Supercharger Scream
  • Better Sports Seats
I agree with all your points, however the seat comment baffles me. The r53 sweat is amongst the worse I have ever sat in, they feel like they are pushing your back in all the time, horrid things they were. The only ones worth having were the Recarros imo.

300bhp/ton

Original Poster:

39,671 posts

154 months

Tuesday 12th May 2009
quotequote all
Bungleaio said:
I had a 52 cooper S, it was the most unreliable car I've had
More out of curiosity than anything else. But is there some sort of global conspiracy on the Mini's reliability??

All the magazine style reviews say reliability it top notch and Parkers say apart from a few teething issues all later MK1 cars have no reliability issues.

However reading on here and a few other Mini forums there seems to be a lot of talk about them being very unreliable??

JJCW

2,449 posts

150 months

Tuesday 12th May 2009
quotequote all
I've never heard much in the way of reliability issues from Mini Forums i frequent - only problems arising from people taking them to 250+ bhpm, and that's to be expected! smile

Okgo: I don't find my seats uncomfortable at all, although i'd love some JCW ones! (Sort me out dude!!!)

illmonkey

13,789 posts

162 months

Tuesday 12th May 2009
quotequote all
300bhp/ton said:
Bungleaio said:
I had a 52 cooper S, it was the most unreliable car I've had
More out of curiosity than anything else. But is there some sort of global conspiracy on the Mini's reliability??

All the magazine style reviews say reliability it top notch and Parkers say apart from a few teething issues all later MK1 cars have no reliability issues.

However reading on here and a few other Mini forums there seems to be a lot of talk about them being very unreliable??
Its true, for me anyway.

04 MCS (R53) - 6 months after buying from Mini cherished and its had 2 new engine mounts and a flywheel, a FLYWHEEL! As well as a new power steering pump.
51 MC - Managed to brake a drive shaft. Had also had a power steering pump replaced, as well as a clutch (If I remember correctly, it was 4 years ago).

Luckily (for us) all the work was warranty as we purchased both from Mini direct. The MCS warranty is up next month, so fingers crossed! The power steering pumps are notorious for breaking, they also can stop working mid corner, and you'd end up in that wall over there. Mini tend to just replace them, although it was never a recall.

Edited by illmonkey on Tuesday 12th May 09:01

300bhp/ton

Original Poster:

39,671 posts

154 months

Tuesday 12th May 2009
quotequote all
JJCW said:
I've never heard much in the way of reliability issues from Mini Forums i frequent - only problems arising from people taking them to 250+ bhpm, and that's to be expected! smile
I was on the Mini2 forum last night and there seemed to be a lot about reliability. And several comments of "the most unreliable car I've owned". Most still seemed to love them though.

Also on here, look at the first 2 pages in the New MINI forum on PH and there's a lot of threads, hood stuck, something broken, whatever has stopped working. I've not noticed anything like it in any other forum on PH.

JJCW

2,449 posts

150 months

Tuesday 12th May 2009
quotequote all
300bhp/ton said:
JJCW said:
I've never heard much in the way of reliability issues from Mini Forums i frequent - only problems arising from people taking them to 250+ bhpm, and that's to be expected! smile
I was on the Mini2 forum last night and there seemed to be a lot about reliability. And several comments of "the most unreliable car I've owned". Most still seemed to love them though.

Also on here, look at the first 2 pages in the New MINI forum on PH and there's a lot of threads, hood stuck, something broken, whatever has stopped working. I've not noticed anything like it in any other forum on PH.
Hmm i tend to stick on MiniTorque and i've not noticed too much. I'll keep my fingers crossed mine doesn't break!!! (That's what warranty is for though biggrin)

300bhp/ton

Original Poster:

39,671 posts

154 months

Tuesday 12th May 2009
quotequote all
JJCW said:
300bhp/ton said:
JJCW said:
I've never heard much in the way of reliability issues from Mini Forums i frequent - only problems arising from people taking them to 250+ bhpm, and that's to be expected! smile
I was on the Mini2 forum last night and there seemed to be a lot about reliability. And several comments of "the most unreliable car I've owned". Most still seemed to love them though.

Also on here, look at the first 2 pages in the New MINI forum on PH and there's a lot of threads, hood stuck, something broken, whatever has stopped working. I've not noticed anything like it in any other forum on PH.
Hmm i tend to stick on MiniTorque and i've not noticed too much. I'll keep my fingers crossed mine doesn't break!!! (That's what warranty is for though biggrin)
lol

Well whatever I buy I'll be making sure it has plenty of warranty left on it.

mister.t

2,885 posts

160 months

Tuesday 12th May 2009
quotequote all
okgo said:
I agree with all your points, however the seat comment baffles me. The r53 sweat is amongst the worse I have ever sat in, they feel like they are pushing your back in all the time, horrid things they were. The only ones worth having were the Recarros imo.
The Recaros were the best for comfort/holding you in, but I think the old sports seats were better on a blast than the new ones, though the new ones are infinately more comfortable!

Bungleaio

5,764 posts

166 months

Tuesday 12th May 2009
quotequote all
300bhp/ton said:
Bungleaio said:
I had a 52 cooper S, it was the most unreliable car I've had
More out of curiosity than anything else. But is there some sort of global conspiracy on the Mini's reliability??

All the magazine style reviews say reliability it top notch and Parkers say apart from a few teething issues all later MK1 cars have no reliability issues.

However reading on here and a few other Mini forums there seems to be a lot of talk about them being very unreliable??
Before I bought the car they agreed to change the roof due to excessive wear marks on the roof. When I picked it up they were demonstrating the roof when it refused to close properly, an hour of them messing about with it got it sorted. Dispite numerous revists for it to e checked the wear marks were showing quite badly again when I sold the car 9 months later.

I had a new clutch and flywheel after a few weeks due to it squealing, this was appearing again and it was booked in to be looked at but I sold it before the appointment.

There was a knocking sound coming from the engine, I suspected an engine mount had gone, again the car was sold before it was looked at.

The alarm kept going off at random intervals, they looked at this said there wasn't a problem with it but it never went off again after.

Completely unrelated to the cars reliability but were factors in me selling was the discs on the back cooled and contracted causing the handbrake to loose grip. The car rolled down a driveway and took out a garage door. Required new bumper, front panel and filling to the bonet. I was also rear ended by a new driver requiring new boot, boot floor, exhaust bumper etc.

I bought the car in april and sold it in december, about 9 months ownership and it had spent 3 in the garage. I took a massive hit in depreciation but it had got to the point that all the receptionists knew who I was as soon as I said hello I'd called them that many times and I never once took it in for a service.

When I sold the car it was two and a half years old and had done less than 30k miles and had only ever been touched by bmw technicians. when the car was working it was fantastic but the backwards and forwards to the garage really started to annoy me.

Edited by Bungleaio on Tuesday 12th May 20:23

ilikecars

2,428 posts

145 months

Wednesday 13th May 2009
quotequote all
We have both an R53 Cooper S hardtop and convertible.

The hardtop averages about 33mpg, and the convertible is slightly less.

The decision to buy both R53's was made because in our opinion's it is a much nicer car. (Once the runflat tyres have been got rid of)

The R56 feels like a much easier car to drive, but we found it a bit ugly, not as fun, not as sporty and we didn't like the interior either.

We have had the cars for a few years now, and will be looking to change one of them next year, but will just buy the newest R53 that is available, and will not be buying an R56.

To be honest, the only thing that makes me think about getting an R56 rather than an R53 is that tax for a year would only be £120 rather than £210.



300bhp/ton

Original Poster:

39,671 posts

154 months

Wednesday 13th May 2009
quotequote all
Thanks.

I'll be honest and say I can't really see the difference in appearance. I've looked at pics but they are always different colours shots.

I know there are differences, but they seem so minor, like the difference between a 200 and 300TDI Discovery. Only a few can tell.

Are the MK1 and 2 physically different in size? Guess it would be good to see them side by side - - Pics anyone?? biggrin

okgo

30,480 posts

162 months

Wednesday 13th May 2009
quotequote all
300bhp/ton said:
Thanks.

I'll be honest and say I can't really see the difference in appearance. I've looked at pics but they are always different colours shots.

I know there are differences, but they seem so minor, like the difference between a 200 and 300TDI Discovery. Only a few can tell.

Are the MK1 and 2 physically different in size? Guess it would be good to see them side by side - - Pics anyone?? biggrin
Honestly go and look at some of these cars, then this thread need not continue the way it is going, what you have said is so far from accurate its not funny hehe

The cars do not share one panel I don't think, the interior is 100% different, not to mention the mech changes. Go and look at some.

JJCW

2,449 posts

150 months

Wednesday 13th May 2009
quotequote all
Noooooooooooo i jinxed it!

Driving along last night and the dash lit up like Blackpool illuminations! frown

Hooray for warranty!