Happy Birthday Murray Walker!

Happy Birthday Murray Walker!

Author
Discussion

Petrus1983

3,736 posts

117 months

Thursday 10th October 2019
quotequote all
Happy Birthday Murray!

Random story - when I was a young, F1 loving fan, I wrote to MW with a random letter - this would be mid-90’s at the height of his fame/commitments - he wrote a hand written letter back!! Legend.

amgmcqueen

1,784 posts

105 months

Thursday 10th October 2019
quotequote all
'There's nothing wrong with the car, except that it's on fire' hehe

Happy Birthday Murray!

The Mad Monk

7,113 posts

72 months

Thursday 10th October 2019
quotequote all
Mammasaid said:
ajprice said:
Happy 96th Murray!
Blimey, same age as Nicholas Parsons!
Wrong!

vaud

36,384 posts

110 months

Thursday 10th October 2019
quotequote all

The Mad Monk

7,113 posts

72 months

Thursday 10th October 2019
quotequote all
vaud said:
Well, the first post said that Murray was 93.

What do I know?

Me? I know nothing.

DickyC

37,784 posts

153 months

Thursday 10th October 2019
quotequote all
The Mad Monk said:
Well, the first post said that Murray was 93.

What do I know?

Me? I know nothing.

This one?

Darren390

366 posts

162 months

Thursday 10th October 2019
quotequote all
Happy birthday Murray. We all know his gaffes, but his enthusiasm overcame all the mistakes.

As a big Riccardo Patrese fan, I watched the full 1990 San Marino Grand Prix on YouTube the other day. Its many years since I watched the full race, but Murray and James Hunt made a great partnership. Listening to the grid music brought back many memories!

Europa1

10,232 posts

143 months

Thursday 10th October 2019
quotequote all
DickyC said:

This one?
laugh

Petrus1983

3,736 posts

117 months

Thursday 10th October 2019
quotequote all
Darren390 said:
Happy birthday Murray. We all know his gaffes, but his enthusiasm overcame all the mistakes.

As a big Riccardo Patrese fan, I watched the full 1990 San Marino Grand Prix on YouTube the other day. Its many years since I watched the full race, but Murray and James Hunt made a great partnership. Listening to the grid music brought back many memories!
In case you haven’t seen this -

https://youtu.be/bpo8RDyOEWY

Genuinely love it - so fun.

Transmitter Man

4,186 posts

179 months

Saturday 12th October 2019
quotequote all
I grew up watching this at Crystal Palace: https://youtu.be/kY5zdnGvT0c

The Mad Monk

7,113 posts

72 months

Saturday 12th October 2019
quotequote all
Rallycross - Brands Hatch - murray Walker commentating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gilxT4wEedM

FourWheelDrift

79,897 posts

239 months

Saturday 12th October 2019
quotequote all

SpudLink

2,789 posts

147 months

Sunday 13th October 2019
quotequote all
My favourite MW quote is from touring cars.
This was at a time when adverts were running on TV saying “The car in front is a Toyota”.

https://youtu.be/oBMyVkPrcEg

Halmyre

8,159 posts

94 months

Thursday 17th October 2019
quotequote all
Happy Birthday Murray 'Trousers On Fire' Walker.

"The race is on now if it wasn't before, and it was!"

Loved the Pizza Hut adverts.

Murray: "AND HERE COMES THE PASTA!!!!"

Damon Hill: "It's a pizza, Murray".

vaud

36,384 posts

110 months

Thursday 17th October 2019
quotequote all
Halmyre said:
Loved the Pizza Hut adverts.

Murray: "AND HERE COMES THE PASTA!!!!"

Damon Hill: "It's a pizza, Murray".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGxVe3-Z5wo

Pericoloso

42,650 posts

118 months

Thursday 17th October 2019
quotequote all
The Mad Monk said:
Rallycross - Brands Hatch - murray Walker commentating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gilxT4wEedM
That would be Lydden Hill.

DickyC

37,784 posts

153 months

Thursday 17th October 2019
quotequote all
Pericoloso said:
That would be Lydden Hill.
nono

"I'm reporting for you today from Brands Hatch! - Unless it's Lydden Hill!! - AND IT IS LYDDEN HILL!!! "

Pericoloso

42,650 posts

118 months

Thursday 17th October 2019
quotequote all
Same county ,different postcode.

Easy mistake to make, they're so similar.......paperbag

sgtBerbatov

2,061 posts

36 months

Friday 18th October 2019
quotequote all
Found out a few years ago he was born up the road from me, about a 5 minute walk. Then turns out Nigel Mansell was born about 5 minutes walk away from me too.

Jasper Carrott too, but he didn't have anything to do in F1.

minghis

1,491 posts

206 months

Tuesday 22nd October 2019
quotequote all
I was wandering around the Autosport show at (if I recall) the NEC in 1991. I approached, rather starstruck, a certain Murray Walker and asked how he was going to get on this season with both Brundle and Blundell in F1 and if he would get confused.

He had a good laugh with me and we chatted for a while about stuff and he kindly signed a copy of Autosport for me. Still have it to this day.