F1 Past

Author
Discussion

Zetec-S

2,578 posts

34 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
For me most memorable moments date back to the 90's, when F1 was the 'must-watch' event on TV. Although ironically I missed what was probably the most iconic moment for me, as I was on a family holiday in May'94 so didn't watch the San Marino GP. I remember the news report coming on the TV in the evening, and as a 13 year old almost in tears when I heard the news about Senna frown He was one of my childhood heroes, and I will never tire of watching the in-car footage of him at Monaco in the wet, truly amazing driving.

Other highlights for me would have to be:

1992 Monaco Grand Prix - Mansell vs Senna (last laps)

1991 British Grand Prix - Mansell gives Senna a lift back to the pits

1994 Australian Grand Prix - Schumacher/Hill incident (I remember the tension seemed to last an age as to whether Hill could continue)

1997 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hill coming so close to a victory in the Arrows

Also have to give credit to Mansell for the way he drove throughout the 92 season. Yes, he walked the title, but even once he'd built up a big lead he still drove flat out the entire time.

Gad-Westy

9,286 posts

154 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
Zetec-S said:
For me most memorable moments date back to the 90's, when F1 was the 'must-watch' event on TV. Although ironically I missed what was probably the most iconic moment for me, as I was on a family holiday in May'94 so didn't watch the San Marino GP. I remember the news report coming on the TV in the evening, and as a 13 year old almost in tears when I heard the news about Senna frown He was one of my childhood heroes, and I will never tire of watching the in-car footage of him at Monaco in the wet, truly amazing driving.

Other highlights for me would have to be:

1992 Monaco Grand Prix - Mansell vs Senna (last laps)

1991 British Grand Prix - Mansell gives Senna a lift back to the pits

1994 Australian Grand Prix - Schumacher/Hill incident (I remember the tension seemed to last an age as to whether Hill could continue)

1997 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hill coming so close to a victory in the Arrows

Also have to give credit to Mansell for the way he drove throughout the 92 season. Yes, he walked the title, but even once he'd built up a big lead he still drove flat out the entire time.
Funnily enough I was 13 in May 1994 as well and also away from a TV in the Lake District. Brother's water campsite. Listening to a radio. First death that ever had an effect on me. Just couldn't take it in at all.


oyster

9,016 posts

189 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
Funnily enough as someone who watched F1 as a kid from the 80's, I can think of some much more recent races which excite me when I think about them.

Bahrain 2014
Abu Dhabi 2016
Canada 2011 (of course)
Brazil 2012



Hang on..... I mentioned Abu Dhabi and Bahrain despite having watched Senna, Prost & Mansell when I was growing up. Where are those pink-tinged glasses???

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

5,577 posts

92 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
DuckAvenger said:
Brilliant.



Dr Z

2,918 posts

112 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all



Advertisement

SpudLink

2,478 posts

133 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
These are all very good. Most of the events that come to mind have already been mentioned.

I would also add Adelaide ’86. Before the season started I was convinced Mansell would be the champion. I remember Rosberg’s puncture, and hoping Mansell would not suffer the same fate. And then the high speed tyre explosion that we’ve all seen a million times since.

I also remember Schumacher dragging the car onto the Spanish podium in 1994. With the car stuck in 5th gear!!! The TV audio suggested he was stuck in gear, but I remember Murray saying that can’t be because it would not be possible to do those lap times if it wasn’t able to change gear.

But unfortunately what I mostly remember of Schumacher is end of season collisions with Hill and Villeneuve, and his attempt to disguise them as ‘accidents’.

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

5,577 posts

92 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
The old Hockenheim with Nigel Mansell

Still miss this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GZ6-pGj1-Y

DanielSan

13,933 posts

108 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
2 greats battling - check
Amazing old circuit - check
One of the best overtaking manoeuvres in the sports history - check

Hakkinen vs Schumacher Spa 2000

https://youtu.be/Pd0LMH6yijA

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

5,577 posts

92 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
Ricciardo and his dive bombs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BewPQzlj3s

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

5,577 posts

92 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
2 greats battling - check
Amazing old circuit - check
One of the best overtaking manoeuvres in the sports history - check

Hakkinen vs Schumacher Spa 2000

https://youtu.be/Pd0LMH6yijA
That was magic. Amazing pass by Hakkinen



ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

5,577 posts

92 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
SpudLink said:
These are all very good. Most of the events that come to mind have already been mentioned.

I would also add Adelaide ’86. Before the season started I was convinced Mansell would be the champion. I remember Rosberg’s puncture, and hoping Mansell would not suffer the same fate. And then the high speed tyre explosion that we’ve all seen a million times since.

I also remember Schumacher dragging the car onto the Spanish podium in 1994. With the car stuck in 5th gear!!! The TV audio suggested he was stuck in gear, but I remember Murray saying that can’t be because it would not be possible to do those lap times if it wasn’t able to change gear.

But unfortunately what I mostly remember of Schumacher is end of season collisions with Hill and Villeneuve, and his attempt to disguise them as ‘accidents’.
To be fair to Schumacher "apart from the Villeneuve attempted take out" Hill wasn't exactly very good at judging a pass.

I still think Hill's attempt at the end of 1994 was a poor judgement.

Another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az_CdcAdAjE

Gad-Westy

9,286 posts

154 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Ricciardo and his dive bombs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BewPQzlj3s
Loved his dummy on Vettel at Monza.

And his pass of Bottas at Monza, even though you know it happened, you still can't believe it's going to happen watching the replay.

Seem to remember him pulling a great move on Alonso at Spa in his first year in the RB as well but can;t find footage.

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

5,577 posts

92 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
Talking about Hill, this is Graham Hill taking us on a Lap on Monaco.

Obviously not race speed but it gives us a good idea of how the track once was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTw6BhFxYE

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

5,577 posts

92 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
Gad-Westy said:
Loved his dummy on Vettel at Monza.

And his pass of Bottas at Monza, even though you know it happened, you still can't believe it's going to happen watching the replay.

Seem to remember him pulling a great move on Alonso at Spa in his first year in the RB as well but can;t find footage.
Love to see the Red Bull close to both the Ferrari and Mercedes this year.

Max gets a lot of hype "which is deserved" but Ricciardo is some racer.

He showed Vettel that when they were teammates.

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

5,577 posts

92 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
Deleted.

Fake


Edited by ELUSIVEJIM on Thursday 22 March 16:31

Eric Mc

106,108 posts

206 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Talking about Hill, this is Graham Hill taking us on a Lap on Monaco.

Obviously not race speed but it gives us a good idea of how the track once was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTw6BhFxYE
How about this - fantastic quality for 1962 -



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCv-dIFGcd0


ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

5,577 posts

92 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
How about this - fantastic quality for 1962 -



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCv-dIFGcd0
WOW.

Looks like 2018.

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

5,577 posts

92 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
Villeneuve, Pironi and Arnoux

Fantastic battle.

Race before Villeneuve fatal crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTlG5ZsUefo

paua

1,107 posts

84 months

Thursday 22nd March 2018
quotequote all
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Villeneuve, Pironi and Arnoux

Fantastic battle.

Race before Villeneuve fatal crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTlG5ZsUefo
Indirectly, it was the cause of that crash. Pironi broke his word/ team orders.

Eric Mc

106,108 posts

206 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
I remember watching it at the time thinking it was a great battle - only to find out years later that it should not really have panned out like that.