F1 Past

Author
Discussion

paua

1,767 posts

99 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Yrs later - really? Giles was livid, never spoke to him again.

Vocal Minority

8,582 posts

108 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
For a whole two weeks before his untimely death....

If you aren’t stalking them, that passing you by until you read about it years later isn’t exactly a massive leap of the imagination is it?

Eric Mc

111,843 posts

221 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
paua said:
Yrs later - really? Giles was livid, never spoke to him again.
Not quite years - the following year (1983) This book came out that year and I had to buy it. I still have it. The incident and related painting was chosen as the picture for the dust cover.



The facts didn't come out straight away - and Villeneuve only had a couple of weeks to live. It was really through reading articles by Nigel Roebuck (who was quite close to Gilles) that I found out what had really happened that day at Imola.


ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

7,911 posts

107 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
Not quite years - the following year (1983) This book came out that year and I had to buy it. I still have it. The incident and related painting was chosen as the picture for the dust cover.



The facts didn't come out straight away - and Villeneuve only had a couple of weeks to live. It was really through reading articles by Nigel Roebuck (who was quite close to Gilles) that I found out what had really happened that day at Imola.
I think people forget getting information back then "without the internet or F1 Channels" was extremely hard. Unless it was mentioned in a magazine "normally at least a week later" or by the F1 commentator at the next race you would not hear anything about what was going on.

What did give it away was the faces of the drivers on the podium but again this was not always shown.

So I totally understand why it would take some time to find out about the huge argument between the two Ferrari drivers.


Edited by ELUSIVEJIM on Friday 23 March 10:29

Greeny

1,395 posts

215 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
What I miss in many of those clips is Murray Walkers commentary . Yes we do look back on some of his bloopers, but by some margin, it is light years ahead of today’s boys. You could have listened to it on the radio, and know exactly what was going on!

sgtBerbatov

2,112 posts

37 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Zetec-S said:
1997 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hill coming so close to a victory in the Arrows
10 years old watching that and I cried. I wanted so badly for Hill to win. As an adult now doing various DIY things and I see a seal for 50p, I don't bother with it and pay for the more expensive one.

In 1998 though I was properly happy, as were my mom and dad for an Irish team to win an F1 race. They weren't in to motorsports, but it didn't matter.

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

7,911 posts

107 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Greeny said:
What I miss in many of those clips is Murray Walkers commentary . Yes we do look back on some of his bloopers, but by some margin, it is light years ahead of today’s boys. You could have listened to it on the radio, and know exactly what was going on!
Best ever IMO.

Yes he made some huge mistakes but this is what made Murray.


ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

7,911 posts

107 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Clive James - Racing Driver

Clive is a very funny man biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2qmskArmWg


London424

11,839 posts

131 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Greeny said:
What I miss in many of those clips is Murray Walkers commentary . Yes we do look back on some of his bloopers, but by some margin, it is light years ahead of today’s boys. You could have listened to it on the radio, and know exactly what was going on!
Best ever IMO.

Yes he made some huge mistakes but this is what made Murray.
If he was starting out nowadays he woudn't get into the second season. You can't make that many mistakes and survive too long in the internet era.

whatxd

180 posts

57 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdQ111wKSKM

The earliest memory I have of Formula 1. Right in front of a grandstand of Germans, bet he felt a right plonker!

Greeny said:
What I miss in many of those clips is Murray Walkers commentary . Yes we do look back on some of his bloopers, but by some margin, it is light years ahead of today’s boys. You could have listened to it on the radio, and know exactly what was going on!
There's a classic Murray mistake in the clip above when he's talking about the fuel strategy, gets it completely muddled up. Full disclosure, one of the things I love most about watching clips from my childhood is Murray's commentary and the memories that come with it.

Sk00p

3,960 posts

183 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Just been playing forza on the Xbox work my lad, race at hockenheim, the noddy short one. I do miss watching them head off into the forest, proper scary racing when it rained.

I miss the real imola too, ballsy circuit

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

7,911 posts

107 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Sk00p said:
Just been playing forza on the Xbox work my lad, race at hockenheim, the noddy short one. I do miss watching them head off into the forest, proper scary racing when it rained.

I miss the real imola too, ballsy circuit
You can understand why F1 took drastic action after Imola 94 but it went too far.

Cars can never be safe enough "apart from fitting the halo" but the circuits have been ruined.

Imola circuit was basically the Tamburello curve and when that changed it ruined the track.

Surely even a tyre wall could have prevented the track being ruined.

As you have stated Hockenheim too was another lost.

Sad when you see shots of it in 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__XMJ4Y3Uhk

Some old track side footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V416wKwk8XQ


Edited by ELUSIVEJIM on Friday 23 March 20:01

Stan the Bat

5,617 posts

168 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Greeny said:
What I miss in many of those clips is Murray Walkers commentary . Yes we do look back on some of his bloopers, but by some margin, it is light years ahead of today’s boys. You could have listened to it on the radio, and know exactly what was going on!
Best ever IMO.

Yes he made some huge mistakes but this is what made Murray.
Yes, made him an awful commentator.

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

7,911 posts

107 months

24lemons

2,370 posts

141 months

Saturday 24th March 2018
quotequote all
Stan the Bat said:
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Greeny said:
What I miss in many of those clips is Murray Walkers commentary . Yes we do look back on some of his bloopers, but by some margin, it is light years ahead of today’s boys. You could have listened to it on the radio, and know exactly what was going on!
Best ever IMO.

Yes he made some huge mistakes but this is what made Murray.
Yes, made him an awful commentator.
Murray walker made mistakes but it was often due to him being excited. He was passionate and genuine and a immensely likeable guy because of that.

I’d far rather put up with a few mistakes and listen to a genuine enthusiast than have somebody who never makes a mistake but sounds like he’s reading the shipping forecast, or worse still, someone who tries to inject false excitement into their commentary. Something that a lot of current commentators are guilty of.

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

7,911 posts

107 months

Saturday 24th March 2018
quotequote all
24lemons said:
Murray walker made mistakes but it was often due to him being excited. He was passionate and genuine and a immensely likeable guy because of that.

I’d far rather put up with a few mistakes and listen to a genuine enthusiast than have somebody who never makes a mistake but sounds like he’s reading the shipping forecast, or worse still, someone who tries to inject false excitement into their commentary. Something that a lot of current commentators are guilty of.
Could not agree more beer

Zetec-S

3,781 posts

49 months

Saturday 24th March 2018
quotequote all
ELUSIVEJIM said:
24lemons said:
Murray walker made mistakes but it was often due to him being excited. He was passionate and genuine and a immensely likeable guy because of that.

I’d far rather put up with a few mistakes and listen to a genuine enthusiast than have somebody who never makes a mistake but sounds like he’s reading the shipping forecast, or worse still, someone who tries to inject false excitement into their commentary. Something that a lot of current commentators are guilty of.
Could not agree more beer
Absolutely. Love him or loath him, there's no denying he was a lasting icon of F1 over the decades. For me he always added that extra spark of excitement, even if he did get it wrong from time to time.

And at the same time, I'd like to add in something else which is also so closely linked to F1 over the years you can't hear it without stirring some memories. The music, specifically 'The Chain':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLCazRVEWM

Stan the Bat

5,617 posts

168 months

Saturday 24th March 2018
quotequote all
24lemons said:
Stan the Bat said:
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Greeny said:
What I miss in many of those clips is Murray Walkers commentary . Yes we do look back on some of his bloopers, but by some margin, it is light years ahead of today’s boys. You could have listened to it on the radio, and know exactly what was going on!
Best ever IMO.

Yes he made some huge mistakes but this is what made Murray.
Yes, made him an awful commentator.
Murray walker made mistakes but it was often due to him being excited. He was passionate and genuine and a immensely likeable guy because of that.

I’d far rather put up with a few mistakes and listen to a genuine enthusiast than have somebody who never makes a mistake but sounds like he’s reading the shipping forecast, or worse still, someone who tries to inject false excitement into their commentary. Something that a lot of current commentators are guilty of.
Yes, but he was an awful commentator.

If you wanted to know what was going on and don't forget that it was not similar to now where you can watch the screen and see loads of info---he was rubbish and an awful shouty type.

glazbagun

10,803 posts

153 months

Saturday 24th March 2018
quotequote all
So many stand-outs for me.

Hamilton vs Rosberg at when everyone got to see what happens when Merc turned their engines up to 11 and Merc discovered they had a problem. laugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTH87phrwEs

Hill winning in 96:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFsD9NElDa4&t=...

Schumacher Ramming Hill, 94:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JoW4mSiZo

Schumacher ramming Villenueve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhNs_W5OQU

Schumacher pushing his old team mate to the wall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AzpYilkKrA

Schumacher being gifted a victory in Austria by Ferrari team orders:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqJBeFrj1Yg&t=...

Not a Schumacher fan, as you can guess. hehe

Other highlights for me include Robert Kubica's incredible crash in Canada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hW5MpdA5Cg

The carnage of Spa 98, amazing start and incredible finish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02s_g5AUUE&t=...

And the carnage of Monaco 96, where almost noone finished (full race!)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20j9ky

Leithen

6,324 posts

223 months

Saturday 24th March 2018
quotequote all