Leclerc, Vettel & Ferrari 2019

Leclerc, Vettel & Ferrari 2019

Author
Discussion

OFORBES

Original Poster:

72 posts

36 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
Leclerc, Vettel & Ferrari 2019

Personally I cannot wait to see how this is going to play out next season! Just the thought of it makes me feed a bit giddy with excitement.

Leclerc - has enjoyed a hugely impressive 2018 campaign delivering some incredible drives, and points finishes for Sauber. Undoubtably a super star of the future, and in my opinion he has demonstrated this season that he possess all the qualities of a World Champion in the making.

Vettel - 4x world champion, and clearly the number 1 Ferrari driver for 2018. This year Vettel has sometimes struggled under pressure, making some mistakes which ultimately have contributed to him losing the championship for him and his employer.

Ferrari - Had a car and driver lineup that could/should have won both titles for 2018. The untimely the death of Sergio Marchionne destabilised the team more than was reported in the press, but once regrouped, they will more focussed on it next year. You can see it in the eyes of Arrivabene...

Add all of this together and it is going to make unmissable sporting entertainment...

The big one, is obviously what is going to happen if Leclerc out performs Vettel. How will that all play out?





slipstream 1985

6,046 posts

115 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
I think ferrari have a back up plan, if leclerc shows up vettel and he gets demoralised and leaves then they have kimi to pull back from sauber until they decide who replace him with.

OFORBES

Original Poster:

72 posts

36 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
Where would Vettel go?

I guess that would depend on the performance of maybe the two RedBull drivers as to whether he would be welcome back there?

What other options would he have?

AllyBassman

426 posts

48 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
I'm sure the Board of Mercedes would love a German driver in the F1 team....

OFORBES

Original Poster:

72 posts

36 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
AllyBassman said:
I'm sure the Board of Mercedes would love a German driver in the F1 team....
Oust Bottas and replace with Vettel. Wonder what the pairing of Hamilton and Vettel would be like.... I dont think Vettel could ever take being effectively a number 2....
Advertisement

ELUSIVEJIM

4,596 posts

87 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
OFORBES said:
Where would Vettel go?

I guess that would depend on the performance of maybe the two RedBull drivers as to whether he would be welcome back there?

What other options would he have?
I would be very surprised if LeClerc doesn't give Vettel a very hard time. Watching Vettel implode during 2017/18 LeClerc has a massive opportunity.

Vettel, in my opinion, will leave Ferrari at the end of 2019.

I could only see him wanting to join a team without Verstappen or Hamilton. If Hamilton retired then perhaps Mercedes. If Red Bull has a poor season with the Honda engine then perhaps Verstappen would be off and Vettel could go back.

2019 is a huge year for Vettel and he has to do something to warrant him staying.

kambites

55,390 posts

157 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
OFORBES said:
What other options would he have?
Mclaren?... that's the place where multiple title winning drivers go to die isn't it? biggrin

AllyBassman

426 posts

48 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
OFORBES said:
Oust Bottas and replace with Vettel. Wonder what the pairing of Hamilton and Vettel would be like.... I dont think Vettel could ever take being effectively a number 2....
More likely that Hamilton will go. Although, driving in this sort of form he's been showing, I doubt that will happen soon. If he starts getting beat more often, I see him retiring from F1 to focus on other projects. Who knows!? I doubt Toto would like another Hamilton & Rosberg dynamic.

Patch1875

3,202 posts

68 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
Don’t think you can write him off yet, he will outscore LeClerc comfortably I think.

OFORBES

Original Poster:

72 posts

36 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
kambites said:
OFORBES said:
What other options would he have?
Mclaren?... that's the place where multiple title winning drivers go to die isn't it? biggrin
laugh I think so!

OFORBES

Original Poster:

72 posts

36 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
Patch1875 said:
Don’t think you can write him off yet, he will outscore LeClerc comfortably I think.
Definitely not writing him off. You cant write off a 4 time world champion, but I am just excited to see it all unfold.....

turbomoped

465 posts

19 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
You dont get to be 4x champion by being crap and he will raise his game again.
Maybe it all got a bit cozy during the Kimi years.


thegreenhell

4,864 posts

155 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
OFORBES said:
AllyBassman said:
I'm sure the Board of Mercedes would love a German driver in the F1 team....
Oust Bottas and replace with Vettel. Wonder what the pairing of Hamilton and Vettel would be like.... I dont think Vettel could ever take being effectively a number 2....
Never going to happen in a million years. He's far more likely just to retire and count his millions and polish his WDC trophies with his family. I don't think that will happen just yet, though.

shirt

18,546 posts

137 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
I reckon he will get better as the season progresses, really depends on what the true delta is between the ferarri and sauber as ericsson is hardly a good benchmark.

If leclerc does indeed outperform vettel then i could well imagine vet being replaced with giovanizzi, giving ferrari their italian driver with confidence that they would be pairing him with a proven no.1.

Vet and ham in matched cars would be fantastic and settle many internet debates but i can’t see it ever happening.

The top teams need a proven young driver prior to the regs shakeup. What merc do for 2020 will be interesting as they have no rising star in the team. Ham will leave when he has finished breaking records and bottas is not the superstar they need to continue justifying the spend. Neither is he marketable enough. I actually wonder if, all records broken, merc will bow out with the introduction of the new regs and return to sportscar racing with hamilton guesting at le mans and other high profile events.

Jasandjules

61,566 posts

165 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
It is really going to be fascinating. Not least because what will Ferrari do if their drivers are quite even - will they do as they did to Kimi and engage a poor strategy to ensure Vettel has the best chances... Frankly I am keen to see how quali will go between the two..


Muzzer79

2,499 posts

123 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
shirt said:
If leclerc does indeed outperform vettel then i could well imagine vet being replaced with giovanizzi, giving ferrari their italian driver with confidence that they would be pairing him with a proven no.1.
Some of this is comedy gold.

So, you’re the Ferrari team manager and your new, 21 year old driver has had a better season than your 4-time world champion driver.

Over what timescale are you suggesting that you will then replace said 4-time world champion with your young reserve driver who has entered the sum total of two F1 races?

A season? Two seasons?

This is the Ferrari F1 team. Running a 21 year old with one previous season at Sauber, no matter how good he appears to be, and an unproven rookie will get you shown the door faster than a librarian with Tourette’s.

Muzzer79

2,499 posts

123 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
And for the record, whilst I don’t particularly rate Vettel, I think he’ll fairly comfortably outpace LeClerc over a season.

For those doubting that rationale, I would remind you that supposed wonder-kid Verstappen was beaten by Ricciardo in his first season at Red Bull

Edited by Muzzer79 on Tuesday 27th November 18:42

sparta6

1,076 posts

36 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
I could be wrong but Vettel seems to have lost a bit of the love for F1.

Maybe he wants to spread his wings ala Alonso and try something new.

4 x WDC. It's been a good innings.

Graveworm

648 posts

7 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
Muzzer79 said:
And for the record, whilst I don’t particularly rate Vettel, I think he’ll fairly comfortably outpace LeClerc over a season.

For those doubting that rationale, I would remind you that supposed wonder-kid Verstappen was beaten by Ricciardo in his first season at Red Bull

Edited by Muzzer79 on Tuesday 27th November 18:42
And was trailing him by quite a margin until DR was announced as leaving for Renault.

thegreenhell

4,864 posts

155 months

Tuesday 27th November
quotequote all
Muzzer79 said:
And for the record, whilst I don’t particularly rate Vettel, I think he’ll fairly comfortably outpace LeClerc over a season.

For those doubting that rationale, I would remind you that supposed wonder-kid Verstappen was beaten by Ricciardo in his first season at Red Bull

Edited by Muzzer79 on Tuesday 27th November 18:42
Yeah but 4xWDC Vettel was beaten by that same Ricciardo in his first season at Red Bull....

Maybe Ricciardo is just quite good? wink