Cryptic question - who knows their F1?

Cryptic question - who knows their F1?

Author
Discussion

mattikake

Original Poster:

4,607 posts

135 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
Damn, just noticed that as a result of this year, my favourite driver can no longer have the claim to have exclusively driven for the 4 best F1 teams.

Who is it?

First correct answer wins my respect, such as it's worth.

(If you use wiki you are an evil pleb)

realjv

651 posts

102 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
Mansell?

themarsh

7 posts

40 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
Another one for Mansell. I can't think of anyone else who has driven for Ferrari, Williams, McLaren & Lotus.

Exige77

2,968 posts

127 months

Thursday 6th December
quotequote all
And this year the best 4 teams have changed ?

Red Bull is now one of the best 4 teams ?

And Mansell didn’t drive for Red Bull ?

DanielSan

13,600 posts

103 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Is this 4 best teams on opinion or on statistics? Either way are Mclaren still in the list? hehe
Advertisement

ralphrj

2,728 posts

127 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Depends on the criteria for defining the 4 best F1 teams. Assuming that the OP's definition was based on the number of wins then the answer was Mansell until this year. During 2018, Mercedes surpassed Lotus to claim 4th overall with 87 wins.

Eric Mc

104,286 posts

201 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Define "best"?

Fangio only ever drove for the "best" of his era -

Maserati
Ferrari
Lancia
Mercedes

In the old days, drivers didn't have long enough careers to have the opportunity to jump between too many teams. They either died racing or got out of the sport before they died.

thegreenhell

4,864 posts

155 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
ralphrj said:
Depends on the criteria for defining the 4 best F1 teams. Assuming that the OP's definition was based on the number of wins then the answer was Mansell until this year. During 2018, Mercedes surpassed Lotus to claim 4th overall with 87 wins.
The old status quo remains intact in terms of WCC titles won, where Mercedes still need at least two more years to even equal Lotus.

You could perhaps argue that Mercedes would have won the teams title in 1954/55 had such a thing existed then, but it didn't.

Eric Mc

104,286 posts

201 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
And what about drivers who competed before there was a World Driver's Championship?

Bullitt Five-Oh

386 posts

3 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Bottas obviously.

FourWheelDrift

75,535 posts

220 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
I guess Mercedes have bumped someone down the list this year.

sgtBerbatov

818 posts

17 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Alonso?

Evangelion

4,834 posts

114 months

Friday 7th December
quotequote all
Button drove for Williams, Benetton, McLaren and Brawn.

What about Prost? Or Piquet (Snr)?

slipstream 1985

6,046 posts

115 months

Saturday
quotequote all
this will be because of kimi driving for "alfa romeo" now, so someone who drove for them, andretti?

Eric Mc

104,286 posts

201 months

Saturday
quotequote all
slipstream 1985 said:
this will be because of kimi driving for "alfa romeo" now, so someone who drove for them, andretti?
Fangio.

dr_gn

12,027 posts

120 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Jackie Ickx ?

dr_gn

12,027 posts

120 months

Saturday
quotequote all
FourWheelDrift said:
I guess Mercedes have bumped someone down the list this year.
Lotus.

dr_gn

12,027 posts

120 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
Define "best"?

Fangio only ever drove for the "best" of his era -

Maserati
Ferrari
Lancia
Mercedes
.
Why does he need to define ‘best’?

Lancia and Maserati don’t appear anywhere near the top four F1 teams in terms of wins or championships, in fact zero between them probably.

Nobody mentioned ‘era’ in this apart from you.

Evangelion

4,834 posts

114 months

Saturday
quotequote all
dr_gn said:
... Lancia and Maserati don’t appear anywhere near the top four F1 teams in terms of wins or championships, in fact zero between them probably ...
The Lancia D50 could have been a good car had it been developed more,but Lancia lost interest in it and packed up when Ascari died. However they did pass on a lot of their equipment to Ferrari - the Lancia Ferrari that Fangio used to win the '57 championship owed quite a lot to it.

Then the following year, he won the championship in a Maserati.

Remember that the vast majority of racing cars never win even a single championship. Nor, indeed, a race.

dr_gn

12,027 posts

120 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Evangelion said:
dr_gn said:
... Lancia and Maserati don’t appear anywhere near the top four F1 teams in terms of wins or championships, in fact zero between them probably ...
The Lancia D50 could have been a good car had it been developed more,but Lancia lost interest in it and packed up when Ascari died. However they did pass on a lot of their equipment to Ferrari - the Lancia Ferrari that Fangio used to win the '57 championship owed quite a lot to it.

Then the following year, he won the championship in a Maserati.

Remember that the vast majority of racing cars never win even a single championship. Nor, indeed, a race.
...but none of that makes either of them a ‘top’ team in F1 terms, or makes Fangio remotely a contender for the o/p’s driver.