National B licence after heart surgery

National B licence after heart surgery

Author
Discussion

FatR1ch1e

Original Poster:

3 posts

Sunday 10th February
quotequote all
Just wondering if anyone out there has a national B that has had major heart surgery? I had a valve replaced 7 years ago due to a birth defect, been fine since, dont even need BP meds or statins. Not sure if I will be allowed to race?

df76

1,836 posts

216 months

Sunday 10th February
quotequote all
Give the Motorsport UK licencing team a ring, very helpful and they will give you a straight answer. Suspect that it would be absolutely no problem at all.

Kraken

687 posts

138 months

Sunday 10th February
quotequote all
Can't see it being the slightest issue as there are no medicines involved and the problem has been fixed but, as has been said, you really need to get the answer from the horses mouth as every case is different.

moffspeed

824 posts

145 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Another vote for should be OK. I regularly do MSA medicals and know of drivers with heart conditions including valve replacement who have succeeded in application for National B.

Are you on anticoagulants- this will depend on whether you have a biological (tissue) valve or a mechanical version ?

Obviously will need mentioning on the appropriate sections of both the self declaration and the doc’s bit. MSA might want to chase up specific details with your GP or consultant so if you’re looking at this season you need to get going...

Top tip is to include any discharge note/follow up clinic notes with your application- this might be enough info for them but they might still want to get further info either face to face or via professional correspondence.


FatR1ch1e

Original Poster:

3 posts

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
got an hal;fway answer from them today. They said just to get a letter from the GP to detail the condition and submit it with my medical. I asked if this meant it would be all OK and she just said she will send out a letter detailinmg everything. Will see what comes in the post, just a waiting game I guess. Thankfully I was not going to enter a championship this year, just do a couple of guest races to get the car and kit correct first.
Advertisement

Kraken

687 posts

138 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
You've still got plenty of time. Most series don't start until late March and if experience is anything to go by it won't take them half of that to to give you a 100% answer.

djmotorsport

472 posts

181 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
I've had 3 cardiac ablations over 5 years - was able to get Intl C - As long as a stress ECG shows all clear, you should be fine.

FatR1ch1e

Original Poster:

3 posts

Thursday
quotequote all
Still going round in circles, MSA want a letter from my GO to say they fully support my application. GP said no doctors will write that as it leaves them wide open to litigation, which I agree with. So I am asked Ng them to just write out all the facts, that my cardiologist sees me every year and nothing has changed since surgery, my condition is very good and I am not in any banned substances. Guess from there it will be a waiting game. Hoping I can send MSA that and get a quick answer so I can get my ARDS booked in.