Williams F1

Williams F1

Author
Discussion

cuprabob

9,829 posts

179 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
MuttWagon said:
thegreenhell said:
Anyone seeing this as a precursor to VW taking over the team?
No, I just see it as Jost Capito putting someone he knows and trusts from his VW days in a senior role.

stemll

2,534 posts

165 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
MuttWagon said:
thegreenhell said:
Anyone seeing this as a precursor to VW taking over the team?
Dorilton may have pulled a blinder if they can sell to VAG for 2025. I expect that the Williams name will disappear if they do.

rev-erend

20,954 posts

249 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
The name is a good fit..

V olkswagen
W illiams

biggrin

TheDeuce

9,108 posts

31 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
stemll said:
Dorilton may have pulled a blinder if they can sell to VAG for 2025. I expect that the Williams name will disappear if they do.
Totally, dorilton would be holding the keys to a ready to go F1 outfit in desperate need of a new sponsor/owner - although I'm not convinced just yet that VW are seriously working towards an F1 entry... But I am convinced they're making certain they're well aligned to enter as and when they choose. They've clearly been involved in engine spec discussions for the past few years.


stemll

2,534 posts

165 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
stemll said:
Dorilton may have pulled a blinder if they can sell to VAG for 2025. I expect that the Williams name will disappear if they do.
Totally, dorilton would be holding the keys to a ready to go F1 outfit in desperate need of a new sponsor/owner - although I'm not convinced just yet that VW are seriously working towards an F1 entry... But I am convinced they're making certain they're well aligned to enter as and when they choose. They've clearly been involved in engine spec discussions for the past few years.
Nor am I and it will depend on what the 2025 engine specs look like. If it doesn't fit what they want (applies to all the engine suppliers except maybe Ferrari) then they won't enter.

TheDeuce

9,108 posts

31 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
stemll said:
Nor am I and it will depend on what the 2025 engine specs look like. If it doesn't fit what they want (applies to all the engine suppliers except maybe Ferrari) then they won't enter.
They (technically Porsche) got as far as a fully developed and tested PU for what was going to be the new 2021 spec. For whatever reason the new simpler spec they had worked towards wasn't introduced as intended - but nonetheless shows how willing they are to enter if thecsoec is right.

As such, F1 and the FIA will be listening to VW as they work towards whatever the new 2025 spec is to be.

If Mercedes have left by that point I could see VW getting pretty much whatever they want to step in as s replacement major manufacturer and PU supplier.

thegreenhell

8,481 posts

184 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
The thing is, VW have been on the brink of committing to F1 so many times without ever following through with it. There's also the way they tend to enter series, get what they want from it, then pull out a few years later, that doesn't suit the sort of long term commitment that F1 would like. They've done it with WEC, WRC, and DTM, so why would F1 be any different?

stemll

2,534 posts

165 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
Audi joined Le Mans in 1999 (WEC from 2012) and only left in 2017 (including the Porsche 919 after Audi left). Longer commitment than many F1 teams manage and they are returning to LMDh.

They also won Le Mans in all but two of those years (3 if you think the Bentley Speed 8 wasn't just an Audi R8 in a posh frock) and on the podium in those three years too.

Edited by stemll on Tuesday 23 March 16:06

TheDeuce

9,108 posts

31 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
The thing is, VW have been on the brink of committing to F1 so many times without ever following through with it. There's also the way they tend to enter series, get what they want from it, then pull out a few years later, that doesn't suit the sort of long term commitment that F1 would like. They've done it with WEC, WRC, and DTM, so why would F1 be any different?
Probably wouldn't be any different - who can know?

I merc were to depart then F1 might start to see VW as more valuable and worth pandering to, inspite of any concerns about the length of their commitment..

Or maybe other manufacturers might also be interested? In the end how picky F1 can be in who they align spec to really depends on how much interest there is from outfits looking to enter.

Piginapoke

1,881 posts

150 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
VW has ended all its ICE competition programmes. It’s not coming to F1.

Smollet

6,300 posts

155 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
Piginapoke said:
VW has ended all its ICE competition programmes. It’s not coming to F1.
Unless it saw a marketing benefit to change that policy. F1 is probably the only series that might tempt them.

Sandpit Steve

2,759 posts

39 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
Piginapoke said:
VW has ended all its ICE competition programmes. It’s not coming to F1.
Not with that brand, certainly.
Porsche, Bentley and Lamborghini, on the other hand...

VAG have been trailing an F1 entry for ages, and it never comes through. If they’re going to do it, it needs to be a major commitment, such that they don’t get their arses handed to them every weekend by their major competitor in road cars and some soft drinks company.

TheDeuce

9,108 posts

31 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
Sandpit Steve said:
Piginapoke said:
VW has ended all its ICE competition programmes. It’s not coming to F1.
Not with that brand, certainly.
Porsche, Bentley and Lamborghini, on the other hand...

VAG have been trailing an F1 entry for ages, and it never comes through. If they’re going to do it, it needs to be a major commitment, such that they don’t get their arses handed to them every weekend by their major competitor in road cars and some soft drinks company.
Exactly. The announcement that they were dropping their motorsport programmes was solely for the VW brand.


TheDeuce

9,108 posts

31 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
cuprabob said:
MuttWagon said:
thegreenhell said:
Anyone seeing this as a precursor to VW taking over the team?
No, I just see it as Jost Capito putting someone he knows and trusts from his VW days in a senior role.
Tbf, could well be as simple as that.

Nonetheless, even if it's not a tactical appointment, Demaison is going to have friends in high places at VW so it creates something of a bridge between the teams aspirations and VAG's potential ambitions for F1.

rdjohn

4,876 posts

160 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
This time next week, we will know if anything has been achieved under the new management.

I struggle to believe, right now, that Williams is not just a once great entity that is now “in-play”

We all hope for a positive outcome in Frank’s lifetime.

TheDeuce

9,108 posts

31 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
rdjohn said:
This time next week, we will know if anything has been achieved under the new management.

I struggle to believe, right now, that Williams is not just a once great entity that is now “in-play”

We all hope for a positive outcome in Frank’s lifetime.
They've probably improved somewhat vs Haas... and In general I suppose, they do have the merc bits now and another year of learning and tweaking.

I'm not expecting anything to get excited about either haha - but now the major roles are filled at the team with good people I'm feeling a little more positive about their 22 efforts. Still can't believe they'll be particularly potent then, but at least safely off the back of the grid would good!


stemll

2,534 posts

165 months

Tuesday 23rd March
quotequote all
Piginapoke said:
VW has ended all its ICE competition programmes. It’s not coming to F1.
LMDh has an ICE (a 630bhp one at that) and Audi (and possibly Porsche) are entering that category from 2023. So while maybe VW have ended ICE, VAG have not and VW was the least likely of the brands to use in F1 (except maybe Skoda wink)


TheDeuce said:
rdjohn said:
This time next week, we will know if anything has been achieved under the new management.

I struggle to believe, right now, that Williams is not just a once great entity that is now “in-play”

We all hope for a positive outcome in Frank’s lifetime.
They've probably improved somewhat vs Haas... and In general I suppose, they do have the merc bits now and another year of learning and tweaking.

I'm not expecting anything to get excited about either haha - but now the major roles are filled at the team with good people I'm feeling a little more positive about their 22 efforts. Still can't believe they'll be particularly potent then, but at least safely off the back of the grid would good!
Extra Merc bits not until 2022

miniman

22,033 posts

227 months

Friday 26th March
quotequote all
Nicely done.


rider73

1,365 posts

42 months

Friday 26th March
quotequote all
miniman said:
Nicely done.

thats the quote when Williams won the F1 Title with Damon Hill, despite already replacing him with german HH Frentzen as per the usual stubborn Frank Williams way with his drivers....

Smollet

6,300 posts

155 months

Friday 26th March
quotequote all
rider73 said:
thats the quote when Williams won the F1 Title with Damon Hill, despite already replacing him with german HH Frentzen as per the usual stubborn Frank Williams way with his drivers....
Iirc he was signed before the 96 season had even started. Nothing like a bit of confidence in your drivers.