Netflix - F1

Author
Discussion

TheDeuce

616 posts

5 months

Tuesday 12th March
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
Stroll isn't holding any cards at Williams now and they look even worse..
I think he is actually. I think he was committed to them for this year too although he was able to move Lance to rpfi I think he's still committed to an originally longer deal at Williams investment wise.

So much has happened at Williams of late though I think a lot of the detail is being lost in reporting.

Otispunkmeyer

9,524 posts

94 months

Tuesday 12th March
quotequote all
Supersam83 said:
Just love the tension and dynamic between Cyril Abiteboul and Christian Horner during the engine and Danny Ric situations.

"You need a new engine and driver now" line was a great low blow after all the crap Cyril and Renault had to put up with Red Bull & Horner. biggrin

Can't wait for Renault and Danny Ric to beat Red Bull and Max V.

Gunther Steiner has gone up in my estimation as well.

"We would have looked like rock stars but now we look like wkers"

laugh
Have you worked with the french? I have some sympathy for Horner on that one. They can be very difficult to work with. A friend of mine used to work for a company that had a french outfit and they used to have meetings on “how to deal with the french”. We have service/support chaps who come from France and there’s no talking to them. They turn up, do what they want, not what you asked for then fk off home leaving you to call them back to come fix it.

I worked for 3 months on a power station outage and the french contingent looking after, I think the generator, were just very hard work. As we were in South Africa, they were more concerned with which vineyard they were going to at the weekend. They used to just give everyone the shrug and walk off mumbling under their breath.

So I can well believe Renault just go away and change things and then say, here you go, like it or lump it, and red bull not being very happy because they weren’t told or never got what they actually wanted.

confucuis

1,055 posts

63 months

Tuesday 12th March
quotequote all
Quite like it so far.

One thing I have noticed is that it has highlighted how bloody excitable that sky commentator is (cannot remember his name right now). After every little bit of carbon falls of, there is a sound bite of him screaming!!

TheDeuce

616 posts

5 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Otispunkmeyer said:
Have you worked with the french? I have some sympathy for Horner on that one. They can be very difficult to work with. A friend of mine used to work for a company that had a french outfit and they used to have meetings on “how to deal with the french”. We have service/support chaps who come from France and there’s no talking to them. They turn up, do what they want, not what you asked for then fk off home leaving you to call them back to come fix it.

I worked for 3 months on a power station outage and the french contingent looking after, I think the generator, were just very hard work. As we were in South Africa, they were more concerned with which vineyard they were going to at the weekend. They used to just give everyone the shrug and walk off mumbling under their breath.

So I can well believe Renault just go away and change things and then say, here you go, like it or lump it, and red bull not being very happy because they weren’t told or never got what they actually wanted.
I work with the French fairly often.

...I have nothing to add.


DanielSan

13,792 posts

106 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
confucuis said:
Quite like it so far.

One thing I have noticed is that it has highlighted how bloody excitable that sky commentator is (cannot remember his name right now). After every little bit of carbon falls of, there is a sound bite of him screaming!!
The sound bites don't always match the races and moments they're added to. The joy of editing...
Advertisement

TheDeuce

616 posts

5 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Season 2 is apparently already filming, and will include more from Ferrari and Mercedes!

Or at least, that's what this guy is saying in this podcast: https://backofthegrid.podbean.com/e/2019-australia...

Skip to 42 minutes in.


skwdenyer

6,658 posts

179 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
DanielSan said:
Stroll isn't holding any cards at Williams now and they look even worse..
I think he is actually. I think he was committed to them for this year too although he was able to move Lance to rpfi I think he's still committed to an originally longer deal at Williams investment wise.

So much has happened at Williams of late though I think a lot of the detail is being lost in reporting.
The suggestions floating around were that he had to buy his way out of a longer-term deal (or honour the deal).

The current rumour is that he hasn't paid up. Whether or not that's connected to some legitimate contractual dispute or not is as (un)clear as everything else.

37chevy

2,306 posts

95 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Season 2 is apparently already filming, and will include more from Ferrari and Mercedes!

Or at least, that's what this guy is saying in this podcast: https://backofthegrid.podbean.com/e/2019-australia...

Skip to 42 minutes in.
tbh ive quite enjoyed the fact Ferrari and Mercedes haven't been in this series. its been fascinating seeing F1 from the perspective of smaller teams

Lucas Ayde

1,965 posts

107 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Supersam83 said:
Can't wait for Renault and Danny Ric to beat Red Bull and Max V.
Oh dear, you might have to wait quite a long time. However, it would be great entertainment if they could regularly beat RBR ... Verstappen would be going nuclear after races or on the team radio biggrin

jammy-git

21,919 posts

151 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
How's the Honda powered RB been going in pre-season?

HustleRussell

15,939 posts

99 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
jammy-git said:
How's the Honda powered RB been going in pre-season?
IMO there is nothing to suggest they have taken a noticeable step backwards and I believe that in fact they are about to have the strongest start to a season that they have had in the V6 turbo hybrid era. I think Mercedes and Red Bull are both going to find themselves clamouring over one another trying to topple Ferrari.

jammy-git

21,919 posts

151 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Sounds like a big step forward for Honda then. Let's hope they can remain reliable and doesn't look good on McLaren.

SV_WDC

232 posts

28 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Otispunkmeyer said:
So I can well believe Renault just go away and change things and then say, here you go, like it or lump it, and red bull not being very happy because they weren’t told or never got what they actually wanted.
My understanding was Renault were very focused on the old V8 engines (understandably they were winning lots & wanted to remain there) but massively dropped the ball on preparing for the turbo era. From a customer perspective it must be incredibly frustrating to be told 'next season we will have an engine that will challenge Merc' and then usually be in a same or worse position to the year before. Meanwhile RB have one of the best aero packages on the grid, with hugely ambitious & successful people being let down by things completely out of their control.

It is a great documentary though; everyone seems way more relaxed when there is no actual media around so it's quite an insight. Horner is one of the best wind up merchants in the sport. On one of the Grill the Grid things F1 do for YouTube he refers to Cyril as Cyril Irritable lol

Escy

1,681 posts

88 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
I used to watch F1 and Rallying and watch neither now. I last paid attention in 2009 when Jenson Button won it in a Brawn.

I came into this pretty cold, I know the majority of the teams (was a few episodes in before I realised Mclaren aren't silver any more!) and some of the older drivers. I really enjoyed the program, it's given me an insight and some story lines where I want to see how it pans out (Renault vs Red Bull particularly). I don't have the time to sit down and watch a race on the weekend but i've got the F1 channel so i'll make an effort to see how it pans out. From a marketing point of view, this documentary has sucked me back in.

TheDeuce

616 posts

5 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Escy said:
I used to watch F1 and Rallying and watch neither now. I last paid attention in 2009 when Jenson Button won it in a Brawn.

I came into this pretty cold, I know the majority of the teams (was a few episodes in before I realised Mclaren aren't silver any more!) and some of the older drivers. I really enjoyed the program, it's given me an insight and some story lines where I want to see how it pans out (Renault vs Red Bull particularly). I don't have the time to sit down and watch a race on the weekend but i've got the F1 channel so i'll make an effort to see how it pans out. From a marketing point of view, this documentary has sucked me back in.
You're the exact person I think they were targeting with the Netflix show. Show ppl the behind the scenes drama and battles, and it'll help them care more about what happens on track and why!

Welcome back to the sport, by the way smile

Wills2

15,383 posts

114 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
SV_WDC said:
On one of the Grill the Grid things F1 do for YouTube he refers to Cyril as Cyril Irritable lol
As well as Squirrel Irritable laugh

tomble22

168 posts

67 months

Wednesday 13th March
quotequote all
Enjoying this so far, good insight from the drivers point of view.

Didn't understand the decision to keep Perez over Ocon at Force India/Racing Point at the time and still struggle with this side of formula one (money over performance). Surely a team with the backing of one billionaire would be better off with the best driver possible to maximise points, and on balance of last year, Ocon was ahead of Perez in most scenarios.

Also liked the needle between Horner and Cyril Abiteboul, be interesting to see how Ricciardo gets on after the switch, have always liked him despite my lack of interest in Red Bull as a team.

patmahe

5,232 posts

143 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
tomble22 said:
Enjoying this so far, good insight from the drivers point of view.

Didn't understand the decision to keep Perez over Ocon at Force India/Racing Point at the time and still struggle with this side of formula one (money over performance). Surely a team with the backing of one billionaire would be better off with the best driver possible to maximise points, and on balance of last year, Ocon was ahead of Perez in most scenarios.

Also liked the needle between Horner and Cyril Abiteboul, be interesting to see how Ricciardo gets on after the switch, have always liked him despite my lack of interest in Red Bull as a team.
The general idea is that you get a better return on investment on the money you spend on R&D than that spent on drivers. I'd imagine it was marginal in this case but given the troubles Force India had last season they felt a more secure financial situation was very desirable. Ocon is excellent, but Perez is hardly a slouch and if his money buys half a second a lap over a season it becomes worthwhile.

For what it's worth I think Ocon is the more talented driver

HustleRussell

15,939 posts

99 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
tomble22 said:
Enjoying this so far, good insight from the drivers point of view.

Didn't understand the decision to keep Perez over Ocon at Force India/Racing Point at the time and still struggle with this side of formula one (money over performance). Surely a team with the backing of one billionaire would be better off with the best driver possible to maximise points, and on balance of last year, Ocon was ahead of Perez in most scenarios.
There’s nothing in it between Perez and Ocon and the Mexican was instrumental behind the scenes in keeping the team afloat.

I would prefer Ocon to have the drive too by the way but don’t feel too sorry for him, he’ll be in a Mercedes in 2020.

SV_WDC

232 posts

28 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Wills2 said:
As well as Squirrel Irritable laugh
oh yeah, that was brilliant.

RIP Charlie Whiting! Massive shock