Netflix - F1

Author
Discussion

Deesee

1,593 posts

22 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
F1 .com link for 5 of the clips, for any non netflix subscribers...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.5-of-ou...

coppice

5,038 posts

83 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
Excellent so far . It does feel a little odd , after years of polite corporate speak by drivers in 'official' interviews , to hear everybody effing and blinding . One irritation though is the utterly asinine commentary from a couple of F 1 journalists whose specialist (and only ) subject appears to be the absolutely bleeding obvious . Given the excellence of many past motor sport journos -such as DSJ, Lyons , Roebuck, Arron- and currently active ones like Tremayne and Hughes - it is a shame that they could not have found someone to offer intelligent insight rather than meaningless blather .

Piginapoke

701 posts

124 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
Monaco episode is 10/10.

Williams really is a stshow, Strolls look appalling people

TheDeuce

618 posts

5 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
Piginapoke said:
Monaco episode is 10/10.

Williams really is a stshow, Strolls look appalling people
Claire: "I really hope there's a huge pile up at turn one with just our cars going through".

It's not great when that's your race strategy!

parabolica

4,744 posts

123 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
Binged it all last night; really enjoyed it. Obviously aimed at non-fans to try and entice them in, but even so I really enjoyed some of the behind the scenes going ons that you don't often get to see. Particularly liked Cyril's quip to Horner when they announced DR for Renault; the look on Horner's face rofl call the gendarmes, there's been a murder hehe

Seems to be getting really panned on the F1 twitter and youtube feeds though; people saying it was all too fake and set up, and bhing about Merc and Ferrari's decisions not to take part.
Advertisement

La-spoon

4 posts

9 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
parabolica said:
Binged it all last night; really enjoyed it. Obviously aimed at non-fans to try and entice them in, but even so I really enjoyed some of the behind the scenes going ons that you don't often get to see. Particularly liked Cyril's quip to Horner when they announced DR for Renault; the look on Horner's face rofl call the gendarmes, there's been a murder hehe

Seems to be getting really panned on the F1 twitter and youtube feeds though; people saying it was all too fake and set up, and bhing about Merc and Ferrari's decisions not to take part.
Cyrils, you now need an engine and a driver was gold. Horners face. Love the fact you see all the begind the scenes stuff, comments. Interaction amongst the teams. Gunters language is hilarious. Well filmed, put together and edited. You can undrstand Ferrari and Merc not wanting to take part and at least get the other teams some exposure.

ben5575

1,773 posts

160 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
Really enjoyed this.

Cyril is the fking Boss smile

I do wish Netflix would stop with the fake mic commentary to advance the narrative. It's really obvious, cheap and distracting.

poppopbangbang

1,022 posts

80 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
parabolica said:
Seems to be getting really panned on the F1 twitter and youtube feeds though; people saying it was all too fake and set up, and bhing about Merc and Ferrari's decisions not to take part.
I wouldn't read anything into that to be honest. I've been in and around F1 for a decade and it's become really clear over the past few years since Liberty have started pushing what they have that there is a core of olde worlde fans that simply hate any sort of change, any sort of PR effort, in fact any sort of F1 coverage that isn't aimed directly at them and their train spotter esq levels of geekery.

Personally I think it is brilliant what Liberty and FOM are doing, there are much younger crowds interested now than there ever was five years ago. People are discussing it much less as a Sunday spectacle and much more as an entity with the personal stories, politics and associated drama. The Netflix docu we are discussing here is proof of that, there is genuine interest about the behind the scenes now which there wasn't before to a level sufficient to justify producing this kind of thing - look at it compared to what was being released a decade ago which were very dry, very boring (for most people) documentaries.

Dr Jekyll

16,492 posts

200 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Sorry, that me, not typed in the right way..

That was not to the team, that was to the owner on a mobile phone (possibly outside, alone, behind the tyres for privacy with a 16/17 hour time difference to the team principle) no team members present & took full responsibility.

You’ve got to watch it to see it.
confused

Lynchie999

2,709 posts

92 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
La-spoon said:
parabolica said:
Binged it all last night; really enjoyed it. Obviously aimed at non-fans to try and entice them in, but even so I really enjoyed some of the behind the scenes going ons that you don't often get to see. Particularly liked Cyril's quip to Horner when they announced DR for Renault; the look on Horner's face rofl call the gendarmes, there's been a murder hehe

Seems to be getting really panned on the F1 twitter and youtube feeds though; people saying it was all too fake and set up, and bhing about Merc and Ferrari's decisions not to take part.
Cyrils, you now need an engine and a driver was gold. Horners face.
Just watched that episode... dictionary definition of "Burn" ... haha... laugh

Adrian W

11,177 posts

167 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
Excellent episode showing how badly Ocon was treated and it’s all about the money.

Turbotechnic

496 posts

15 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
Adrian W said:
Excellent episode showing how badly Ocon was treated and it’s all about the money.
I like what Hamilton said at Spa regarding pay drivers.

Adrian W

11,177 posts

167 months

Saturday 9th March
quotequote all
Turbotechnic said:
Adrian W said:
Excellent episode showing how badly Ocon was treated and it’s all about the money.
I like what Hamilton said at Spa regarding pay drivers.
The scene with Prez in a helicopter and Ocon in an SUV summed it all up

DanielSan

13,792 posts

106 months

Sunday 10th March
quotequote all
Piginapoke said:
Monaco episode is 10/10.

Williams really is a stshow, Strolls look appalling people
Think of it from the other side though, the Stroll's are paying 10's of millions and were getting nothing but more st in return...

Paul_M3

1,226 posts

124 months

Sunday 10th March
quotequote all
I’ve just finished watching the final episode.

Christian Horner really is a tt. I hope Ricciardo does well with Renault, but either way I certainly don’t blame him for leaving Red Bull.

Smiljan

6,971 posts

136 months

Sunday 10th March
quotequote all
Paul_M3 said:
I’ve just finished watching the final episode.

Christian Horner really is a tt. I hope Ricciardo does well with Renault, but either way I certainly don’t blame him for leaving Red Bull.
They all could be described as tts. Not many in the whole show came across as anything other than self centred ego maniacs. Even Ricciardo declaring that this year it was his turn and his year as if he deserved to be handed better was painful to watch.

He's been chased away from "his" team by an angry kid and run to Renault who were responsible for most of his misery in 2018. Let's hope he's made the right choice, I think he's made a mistake personally but who knows.

This years grid has to one of the weakest driver line ups in years, I'm pinning my badge on Ferrari and LeClerc for a decent season as we've all seen how Vettel falls apart faced with a competent and keen team mate. The car is looking really good this year.

Back of the grid wooden spoon is already looking like Kubica in the Williams, I really don't know why they would choose him over all the other talent available. He's been out of F1 for too long and is still clearly not fit, even admitting as much himself.

Really looking forward to next weekend now.

Vaud

31,244 posts

94 months

Sunday 10th March
quotequote all
Smiljan said:
This years grid has to one of the weakest driver line ups in years, I'm pinning my badge on Ferrari and LeClerc for a decent season as we've all seen how Vettel falls apart faced with a competent and keen team mate. The car is looking really good this year.
Weakest? The current line up is very strong. Few, if any "pay drivers" and a balance of talent and experience.

pozi

1,633 posts

126 months

Sunday 10th March
quotequote all
I am only up to episode 3 and finding it quite refreshing to see people acting like human beings and not PR robots. Probably the closest an F1 documentary has ever come to reflecting real life inside the F1 bubble.

Although I do wonder if it was edited at the end of the season and they went out of there way to find footage of Stroll senior looking royally hacked off as by then it would have been known he had bought Force India.


Smollet

4,524 posts

129 months

Sunday 10th March
quotequote all
Vaud said:
Smiljan said:
This years grid has to one of the weakest driver line ups in years, I'm pinning my badge on Ferrari and LeClerc for a decent season as we've all seen how Vettel falls apart faced with a competent and keen team mate. The car is looking really good this year.
Weakest? The current line up is very strong. Few, if any "pay drivers" and a balance of talent and experience.
Agreed. Norris, Russell, Giovanazzi and Albon’s inclusion over who they’ve replaced with the exception of Ocon( not including Alonso as he chose to stand down)the grid is arguably a lot stronger.

Smiljan

6,971 posts

136 months

Sunday 10th March
quotequote all
Vaud said:
Weakest? The current line up is very strong. Few, if any "pay drivers" and a balance of talent and experience.
Yep, purely on race results. One of the weakest I've seen in a long time. "pay drivers" are none BUT drivers who have a seat only because of their sponsorship money are still there. Perez and Stroll are the two most obvious.

The driver talent is all moot anyway, if you're not in a Ferrari or Mercedes it's unlikely any amount of talent will win you the championship in 2019. The car, as always, has more of a say than the driver in the outcome.