Charlie Whiting R.I.P.

Charlie Whiting R.I.P.

Author
Discussion

shirt

19,929 posts

159 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
Met him briefly a few times when marshaling, always seemed in good spirits and had a nice word or to say to those who volunteered. Never heard a bad word said by any in race control or by the guys I know at the organizing committee, a true character of the sport who was also a nice bloke by all accounts.

RIP Charlie

OFORBES

406 posts

58 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
Truly shocked by the news. He was a great man.

The tribute by the Fake Charlie twitter account was touching - I didn't know that they had become friends.

It's a big loss for the F1 world.

funkyrobot

18,417 posts

186 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
Wow, shocking news.

When I first saw the headline I thought he was retiring.

I guess this came out of the blue too. Terrible.

RIP.

f1_dragon

275 posts

182 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
What a great loss, RIP.

Petrus1983

3,982 posts

120 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
OFORBES said:
Truly shocked by the news. He was a great man.

The tribute by the Fake Charlie twitter account was touching - I didn't know that they had become friends.

It's a big loss for the F1 world.
I’m sure he won’t mind me posting it here - it really is a lovely tribute to a great guy -



entropy

3,926 posts

161 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
moffspeed said:
Very sad, always felt that he added a touch of common sense and stability in the self -important world of F1. RIP.
Sad news and a loss to F1.

I felt like his officiating left a lot to be desired especially in the past decade or so. He tried to ban blown exhaust diffusers mid-season a few decades after trying to ban active-suspension mid-season which didn't work out; SCs left out too long in the wet to point the of dry line formed till the race goes green. Saying that FRIC and 2016 Brazillian GP were exceptions. Granted, officiating is a thankless task and will never be perfect.

Also the fallout from Max Verstappen's USGP podium that wasn't could've been handled better by Charlie in the driver's meeting with a neutral, common sense approach regarding improving run-off rather just acting as proxy to FIA/delegate. No wonder the drivers/GPDA feel there's an us vs. them (FIA) mentality.

heebeegeetee

27,047 posts

206 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
entropy said:
Sad news and a loss to F1.

I felt like his officiating left a lot to be desired especially in the past decade or so. He tried to ban blown exhaust diffusers mid-season a few decades after trying to ban active-suspension mid-season which didn't work out; SCs left out too long in the wet to point the of dry line formed till the race goes green. Saying that FRIC and 2016 Brazillian GP were exceptions. Granted, officiating is a thankless task and will never be perfect.

Also the fallout from Max Verstappen's USGP podium that wasn't could've been handled better by Charlie in the driver's meeting with a neutral, common sense approach regarding improving run-off rather just acting as proxy to FIA/delegate. No wonder the drivers/GPDA feel there's an us vs. them (FIA) mentality.
Hmm. Will the tracks ever be wide enough for Max?

TheDeuce

Original Poster:

7,311 posts

24 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
entropy said:
No wonder the drivers/GPDA feel there's an us vs. them (FIA) mentality.
Because there always will be, what with the FIA doing everything possible to not let loopholes exist, and the Teams trying everything possible to find them! It's a constant battle smile

It's all part of our sport though! And Charlie was a bridge between the two quietly warring factions - managing to be reasonable, most of the time, to both. That's probably about the best anyone can do.


entropy

3,926 posts

161 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Because there always will be, what with the FIA doing everything possible to not let loopholes exist, and the Teams trying everything possible to find them! It's a constant battle smile

It's all part of our sport though! And Charlie was a bridge between the two quietly warring factions - managing to be reasonable, most of the time, to both. That's probably about the best anyone can do.
I was referring to drivers vis-a-vis with the FIA, not the teams. The GPDA is still going strong because the drivers feel like they're not listened to by the FIA/Charlie not doing enough as middle-man?

davidd

6,099 posts

242 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
entropy said:
No wonder the drivers/GPDA feel there's an us vs. them (FIA) mentality.
Because there always will be, what with the FIA doing everything possible to not let loopholes exist, and the Teams trying everything possible to find them! It's a constant battle smile

It's all part of our sport though! And Charlie was a bridge between the two quietly warring factions - managing to be reasonable, most of the time, to both. That's probably about the best anyone can do.
Do they think there is a them and us mentality? I'm not so sure. I've been around the FIA at events, the rapport between Race Control and the teams is usually good. Clearly if someone is having an issue then things get heated but it never lasts. These people spend so much time together at events, travelling, working, eating, drinking.. They are all (well most of them) in it because the love it.

Allyc85

7,095 posts

144 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
Absolutely stunned to read this 1st thing this morning. As others have said, I too really liked the way he dealt with the drivers in briefings etc.

RIP Charlie.

entropy

3,926 posts

161 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
davidd said:
Do they think there is a them and us mentality? I'm not so sure. I've been around the FIA at events, the rapport between Race Control and the teams is usually good. Clearly if someone is having an issue then things get heated but it never lasts. These people spend so much time together at events, travelling, working, eating, drinking.. They are all (well most of them) in it because the love it.
Yes, I do think there's an us and them mentality. Yes, it's not antagonistic but the GPDA now has full membership, Alex Wurz has a prominent role heading the GPDA; drivers don't feel they're listened to. OK, there's the halo device but that doesn't have full consensus but then you the situation with the tyres and the FIA insisting higher degradation whereas the drivers (and fans) want tyres than can be leaned on without worrying too greatly with degradation.

Petrus1983

3,982 posts

120 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
Genuinely not trying to start anything Entropy but I think today and this post should be restricted to the good he did and the hard work he did for the sport.

Megaflow

7,230 posts

183 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
I hadn’t heard about this, until I walked into work this morning and a colleague, said something like “how are they going to start the Grand Prix now?”

Totally shocking. A great loss to F1, motorsport and the world. He always struck me has a very down to earth, straight to the point kinda of guy. I’d love to have meet him, and he was right up then on the people I’d like to have a pint with list, the storeies he could tell.

RIP Charlie.

Stan the Bat

5,841 posts

170 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
Very unexpected.

R.I.P.

Derek Smith

37,773 posts

206 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
Shocking news.

The reports suggest pulmonary embolism. Is that generated by long air flights?


davidd

6,099 posts

242 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
entropy said:
davidd said:
Do they think there is a them and us mentality? I'm not so sure. I've been around the FIA at events, the rapport between Race Control and the teams is usually good. Clearly if someone is having an issue then things get heated but it never lasts. These people spend so much time together at events, travelling, working, eating, drinking.. They are all (well most of them) in it because the love it.
Yes, I do think there's an us and them mentality. Yes, it's not antagonistic but the GPDA now has full membership, Alex Wurz has a prominent role heading the GPDA; drivers don't feel they're listened to. OK, there's the halo device but that doesn't have full consensus but then you the situation with the tyres and the FIA insisting higher degradation whereas the drivers (and fans) want tyres than can be leaned on without worrying too greatly with degradation.
I completely agree that they have very different opinions and views and my experience is not team side. The halo thing was comical, the politics on all sides can be ridiculous and they will do anything to win but I think on a personal level they are for the most part all in it together.

ELUSIVEJIM

7,911 posts

109 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
I was never a fan of Charlie Whiting but this is very tragic

Thoughts with his family, friends and F1 colleagues.

Sixpackpert

4,130 posts

172 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
RIP.

A loss to the sport.

Poignant picture of him chatting to Seb the day before in this article. Some touching tributes as well.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/26260776/formu...

768

7,211 posts

54 months

Thursday 14th March 2019
quotequote all
Derek Smith said:
Shocking news.

The reports suggest pulmonary embolism. Is that generated by long air flights?
Increases the risk, usually starts as a DVT which could otherwise also end up in the heart or brain.