The Official F1 2020 silly season *contains speculation*

The Official F1 2020 silly season *contains speculation*

Author
Discussion

Deesee

3,568 posts

34 months

Tuesday 4th February
quotequote all
vaud][url said:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.aitken-...

Jack Aitken leaves Renault reserve driver role
Just signed for Williams, where he be up against (the very quick apparently) Ticktum in the simulator (as reserve driver).

jonny142

999 posts

176 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
AMD have jumped sponsorship from Ferrari to Mercedes

TheDeuce

4,686 posts

17 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
jonny142 said:
AMD have jumped sponsorship from Ferrari to Mercedes
slap -> face

They're a pretty long term sponsor aren't they? Obviously not as long term as a certain cigarette brand..

vaud

Original Poster:

35,422 posts

106 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
slap -> face

They're a pretty long term sponsor aren't they? Obviously not as long term as a certain cigarette brand..
Hard to say if it is as simple as "slap -> face"

Maybe the renewal terms were not attractive enough for AMD. Maybe they are about to be replaced by Apple/Intel/etc. Maybe Ferrari want fewer sponsors and a cleaner looking car with rate hikes for the remaining.

It's easy to say "slap -> face". Harder to read between the lines.

TheDeuce

4,686 posts

17 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
vaud said:
Hard to say if it is as simple as "slap -> face"

Maybe the renewal terms were not attractive enough for AMD. Maybe they are about to be replaced by Apple/Intel/etc. Maybe Ferrari want fewer sponsors and a cleaner looking car with rate hikes for the remaining.

It's easy to say "slap -> face". Harder to read between the lines.
More about the fact that, for whatever reason, they found a better deal for them at Ferrari's main competitor. I'm sure there is an actual reason, and giving Ferrari a slap isn't it. I was being facetious.

Since my last reply I googled a little and it looks like they've been with Ferrari for the last 18 years.

Deesee

3,568 posts

34 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
Don’t Phillip Morris have exclusive rights on the Scuderia, and sub let other (such as amd) brands space.

Brand awareness is quite key for a company to part with 150m a yr not to have it’s products listed on the machines, for what they pay I’m not surprised they don’t want anything else on there.

For example you could name a cigarette company and almost picture the past car and drivers names instantly.

Oh and that’s 2 big new sponsors in for Merc, in INEOES & AMD.

Graveworm

3,796 posts

22 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
Qualcomm and AMD do work together so maybe having both at Mercedes is in tune?

Edited by Graveworm on Wednesday 5th February 20:27

TheDeuce

4,686 posts

17 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Don’t Phillip Morris have exclusive rights on the Scuderia, and sub let other (such as amd) brands space.

Brand awareness is quite key for a company to part with 150m a yr not to have it’s products listed on the machines, for what they pay I’m not surprised they don’t want anything else on there.

For example you could name a cigarette company and almost picture the past car and drivers names instantly.

Oh and that’s 2 big new sponsors in for Merc, in INEOES & AMD.
Your theory is that after 18 years they have suddenly decided to kick other brands off the car in order to make their own stand out more?

I guess that's possible but is there a reason to think that's the case?

Deesee

3,568 posts

34 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Deesee said:
Don’t Phillip Morris have exclusive rights on the Scuderia, and sub let other (such as amd) brands space.

Brand awareness is quite key for a company to part with 150m a yr not to have it’s products listed on the machines, for what they pay I’m not surprised they don’t want anything else on there.

For example you could name a cigarette company and almost picture the past car and drivers names instantly.

Oh and that’s 2 big new sponsors in for Merc, in INEOES & AMD.
Your theory is that after 18 years they have suddenly decided to kick other brands off the car in order to make their own stand out more?

I guess that's possible but is there a reason to think that's the case?
Yep they are paying 150m a year to advertise a product they can’t advertise.

Or AMD did not want to give a cigarette company money, in today’s day and age that might not fit there corporate ethos/identity.

The kicker is you have to go through Phillip Morris to put a logo on the car.

TheDeuce

4,686 posts

17 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Yep they are paying 150m a year to advertise a product they can’t advertise.

Or AMD did not want to give a cigarette company money, in today’s day and age that might not fit there corporate ethos/identity.

The kicker is you have to go through Phillip Morris to put a logo on the car.
But why of all the potential reasons a deal could end, do you think it's specifically that?

It could also be that AMD feel Merc are a better fit as Merc are technically well renowned in the sport, and Ferrari are, erm... a bit less efficient sometimes in that regard..

I'm not saying it is that, just wondering why you think this is a Phillip Morris decision, not simply an AMD decision?

Deesee

3,568 posts

34 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Deesee said:
Yep they are paying 150m a year to advertise a product they can’t advertise.

Or AMD did not want to give a cigarette company money, in today’s day and age that might not fit there corporate ethos/identity.

The kicker is you have to go through Phillip Morris to put a logo on the car.
But why of all the potential reasons a deal could end, do you think it's specifically that?

It could also be that AMD feel Merc are a better fit as Merc are technically well renowned in the sport, and Ferrari are, erm... a bit less efficient sometimes in that regard..

I'm not saying it is that, just wondering why you think this is a Phillip Morris decision, not simply an AMD decision?
AMD will have prominent exposure on the side pods (or halo), race suits/team wear and the engineering stations on the Merc.

That’s substantially more exposure than the Ferrari in the last few years.

TheDeuce

4,686 posts

17 months

Wednesday 5th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
AMD will have prominent exposure on the side pods (or halo), race suits/team wear and the engineering stations on the Merc.

That’s substantially more exposure than the Ferrari in the last few years.
Makes sense - I didn't know the placement on the Merc was known yet. Cheers.

Deesee

3,568 posts

34 months

Thursday 6th February
quotequote all
Any else see this??

Look close..


AJB88

5,102 posts

122 months

Thursday 6th February
quotequote all
not seeing

TheDeuce

4,686 posts

17 months

Thursday 6th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Any else see this??

Look close..

The white markings on the floor aren't in this version of the same..?



Where did you find that image?

Deesee

3,568 posts

34 months

Thursday 6th February
quotequote all
I cropped it same image I think..

Can you see the chevron?

TheDeuce

4,686 posts

17 months

Thursday 6th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
I cropped it same image I think..

Can you see the chevron?
As in Marlboro!? No...

Seriously??

Deesee

3,568 posts

34 months

Thursday 6th February
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Deesee said:
I cropped it same image I think..

Can you see the chevron?
As in Marlboro!? No...

Seriously??
What do you think, it’s a go faster stripe?

cuprabob

8,567 posts

165 months

Thursday 6th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
What do you think, it’s a go faster stripe?
It's so Romain knows what way the car should be facing hehe

TheDeuce

4,686 posts

17 months

Thursday 6th February
quotequote all
Deesee said:
TheDeuce said:
Deesee said:
I cropped it same image I think..

Can you see the chevron?
As in Marlboro!? No...

Seriously??
What do you think, it’s a go faster stripe?
It's an arrow, to remind the drivers which way to point the car whilst in the pit lane